Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Large Player Structures - Organisations!

Yeah, just being a ball buster with that last post. Kinda like how every poll regarding professions and balance is dominated by Fixers. Seriously, SMG's are the weapon needing MOST attention? Have you tried to use a Grenade Launcher lately? Such are polls taken from a tiny fraction of the playerbase.

But, as for the issue at hand. Yeah, I still think that if a player wants to join Omni-Pol he oughtta take orders from a Story character and not have to be subject to another player's whims. If he subscribes wholeheartedly to the ideals of your particular guild structure then he can be a member of Omni-Pol in the Omni-Pol Enforcement detachment.

I go over the top a lot expressing my opinions, but, I think everybody knows that the greasy wheel gets the grease and is the prime motivator for FunCom's game decisions and use of the Nerf bat.

The current player-run Omni-Pol is a fine org and a great example of a pseudo-RP guild that manages to play with self-restraint when it could just as easily try to pull a CaptFallout or Aberic and try to completely hijack the spotlight. Rather than trying to encompass the entirety of Omni-Pol's presence in the storyline, I bet they'd be best served with a focus and some nudging from within a larger framework of 'official' corporate structure. At least TarryK couldn't be totally pointing the finger at you. You always have the oh-so-fitting retort of 'We were just following orders'.

=)

guilds and interacting with the story

First I'd like to say - I was present when Radiman was assinated - but I might not have been... I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to hear the right person say that something MIGHT be going on in HQ. So I liked the idea of being informed of events by actually USING that broadcast channel hogging a space on my friends/group list.

But then everyone in the game heads strait for Omni-HQ and then no one can move and the zone crashes...

I prefer the idea of our guild being able to align ourselves with an story org and getting an additional channel to listen to... with reservation. Our guild has a strict no foul language policy. I never listen to OT OCC - not EVER - because it is unmoderated and I always regret clicking on it within 5 minutes. It would be the place to advertise our guild is recruiting if it weren't for that.

Our guild is small but we are a great group of friends... everyone of our generals has participated in missions to get specific essential hi lvl items for each other and we have an active lending library of tools, armor and weapons for low lvl players.

But sometimes - no one else is on and it would be nice to have a larger pool of players who are like minded on the issue of language and behavior... and considering our CoC is in line with AO's official CoC - I dont think I'm asking too much.

Definately - change the current org names that appropriated story org titles giving them the option to align themselves with the official org and help us interact with the missing story better... right now I feel like a gerbil on a exercise wheel running one mission after another - with no change of scenery.

Vice-Prez of The Silver Citadel

Oh - and did someone mention a guild bank/store - I've wanted this forever.

option 3 sounds excellent but

Originally posted by Meister
    Whatever Funcom decides to do, we will adapt to any things taken away, but would rather welcome the possibilities offered with option #3.
    i reckon that was what once drew many of us into online RPGS.

it would mean funcom needs a drafted story and some guys whose job is to coordinate events with the playerguilds.

i bet if they had NO story and just coordinated events with the playerguilds ao would improve alot - they just need to harness the potential that is already there.

while it is not possible for a single character to influence the storyline it would be cool beyond words to become involved in events centered around battles and intrigue with your organisation.

taking a look at the "events" and how they were managed so far i have to admit that is a slim hope.

I like the "forceful" option 2.

First of all, I want to be able to join without being an Organization. Also, people *will* get confused if names appear double.

Besides, the official names are official, and they came first. Give those that use these names the option to rename their organization, and that should be fair enough. They probably took these names on purpose just to be important, since they got the official story name. Well, thats why I would have done it.

I'd really like an answer as to how this will affect RK2.

Will we receive our own official orgs or are we going to continue to get the shaft story wise?

Someone show me where FC said 'do NOT take the names of companies to form guilds'.

They never said that or put up a rule against it, at least to my knowledge. Interviewing members of the playerbase would give FC the perfect excuse to cover this mistake.

I want the plot to become more than a few newbies being ganked by GMs, but what would happen if FC forcefully took these names then did absolutly nothing? How would that help?
    Acording to the history of this game, FC will barely improve the plot with this or not improve it at all, I want to see proof that theFuncom personel in charge of this know how to do their job before doing something that can anger many of their players.

I also checked the naming policies and see no rule that disallows guilds from having a department name. However, its Funcoms game and if they think that it will work the way they have planned it (if there is a plan at all), go ahead.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

from the ARK website:

The goal of the naming policy is to promote the feeling of being immersed into the world of Anarchy Online. These policies apply to all player names, regardless how long it's been since they were created. Use of the following will be restricted:

<snip>

3. Names of in-game creations: This includes NPCs and concepts (Rollerrat, Omni)

Funcom could easily say that the same rule applies to guild names.

Whatever the decision will be, I think we will be a division of Omni-Pol. As in "Omni-Pol: Division 1". Thats a logical change.. would also we welcome by us and gives other guilds the opportunity to align themselves with Omni-Pol. However, I would like it to see that these names "Omni-Pol: Division XYZ" are not simply obtainable by naming yourself this. It is hard to maintain a public image and to create a reputation for your guild. Roleplaying your role as an Omni-Pol officer takes time and dedication and most of our members want to do exactly that, roleplay their officer as part of Omni-Pol. Whatever the changes will be, i hope it turns out to be for the good of the game. Seeing the work we have put into our guild to make it what it is today, go to waste is not what I would like to see. Just prepare yourselves for many other divisions popping up and claiming they are part of Omni-Pol. This opportunity can do a lot of damage to the roleplaying in Omni-Tek as you know it, so be careful what you do.
    Last edited by Meister; May 27th, 2002 at 17:40:56.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Thumbs up

I agree with Meister on this, guilds that align themselves with story super-orgs should have their names vetted by a GM for suitability. It might even be an idea to disallow name changes of such guilds without GM intervention and a good story reason. Remember, aligning with a story org may give certain privileges, but privileges usually come with obligations and responsibilities too...

FunCom has already started taking the names back. Look for anyone with Omni in their name, and you will no longer find them.

I think if I wanted to start up a company called "Toys 'R' Us Guns and Ammo" I'd have some difficulty.

How about "Burger King Booze".

It's just the times we live in.

Red face ::rasies hand:: I have an Idea

AHHHH I just wrote this long a$$ post and it said i wasn’t logged in so i lost it all!!!!

Ok so here goes a quicker recap...

Separate RP orgs could spell disaster for AO A few reasons why:
    ~Do Player orgs have any a role in RP? I love my org now i have to leave it if i wanna be more active in RP! Hurt feelings, drama, your org gets disband, what a mess that could cause.
    ~RP orgs take off and player orgs go buh bye
    ~How is the orgs run? How do you advance? You join a RP org and lose the freedom to team with who you want with events... your "stuck with" teammates that suck, you die Events=no fun.
    ~Funcom gets overloaded with massive RP orgs they go down the drain. Player orgs are already no more since they had no advantage to putting out the effort and funcom truly has anarchy online ;P

Here’s how i think it should work:
    The RP orgs should be the main orgs of the game. The Player orgs should be divisions of those orgs. Each omni org should HAVE to join one of the main orgs and the clan orgs could choose to be one of the main clan orgs or choose be a rebel faction (to follow the storyline), I think this would solve the name changing problem because i think you could change it with much less backlash if that org could just join the main org and not be left out. Which main RP org a player org wants to join can be up to the player org to decide. There could also be funcom run divisions like the player org that had a more formal structure of advancement and RP. Who participated in what event could be either something the player org would sign up for or could be decided by how well they do in events what territory they have taken over and how active they are. I guess with some sort of rating system. The higher the orgs rating the bigger role they will play in the story line. I think taking over territory should be implement with the RP orgs it should be stagnate areas that orgs can do at any time. The main map should also reflect who owns what territory in real time so you will be able to see who has taking what a respond to take it back. This would also make for lots of fun if you put pvp in some of the territory so for EX the clans see on the map that there territory was being taking over by omni and respond by going in and driving them out. All this will encourage competition and more RP! Adding separated RP orgs will create problems, separation, hurt feelings and headaches and the total opposite effect you are looking for.

Thank you that is all

::Myiria sits down:::

One of the biggest draws for this game to be is the RP potential. The idea that organization would be able to have an effect or play out a role in the overall story is very appealing, but there must be some set rules in place. In this case I would support option #2.

I think it would be great if organizations could align themselves with an Omni Department, or Clan group and in that way effect how they would be involved with various story plots, etc. It reminds me of the various squadrons in the armed forces, each with it's own personality, logo/insignia, name, and support role. Each org could be it's own squadron/unit of sorts supporting the Omni or Clan agenda with directives and rules established by the individual Department they have chosen to be aligned with. (I realy don't see how else you would tie in some of the gawd awful and off the wall guild names currently out there).

I think no one guild or organization should be allowed to asume the position of a department in themselves or have any form of higher status. We should all have the opportunity to take part in the world of Rubi-Ka reguardless of what Faction we decide to join.

I think the structures are a great idea, and will work well for those of us who choose to RP. One person had mentioned a guild store of sorts, and the idea sounded pretty good. Would be something to look forward to maybe in future patches. I'd also like to see the sturctures with offices, etc. Locked and restricted areas based on what level a member of the guild holds. (With the option to unlock the doors, with keys etc for special occasions).

Arrow

Hmm, looks like the idea of higher level super-orgs or story-orgs to which normal player orgs align themselves is a popular desire. Wonder if we'll get some feedback from FC at some point. Hmm? hint hint...

Gud idea......but

yeah i think that the general theory behind the org within an org is sound although it would be amazingly confusing.

the HQs are a brilliant idea

make it so missions dont expire

make it so missions dont expire, then a punk like me can clear the mission with my buds then take it over. Instant Org HQ!

i also suggest that you guys from FC reread an old thread that i was once apart of about this very issue. it was started by Silkex (im retty sure he started it) i was origanaly about opening Heads & Tails (which you still should do) but went into guilds and had and still has some of the best guild ideas on these boards. he redid his efforts in some new threads but the first one should be read first. simply put whats in his thread is how it should be done. Zeroshift covered most of what was said in Silke's thread but there was a few this that were suggested that Zero didnt cover. sowhat are you doing here go read it. and way i think one of you guys CZ of (im sorry but i suddenly cant remember your name) posted a few times in the thread so i know you guys know its there. and if you use ideas from that thread give credit to Silke i know his meowing can get a bit frustrating but he put alot of time into keeping those threads high on the boards bump after bump even when it was just him talking to himself on there. he dessirves it.

Cool Story Orgs

I see your trying to push forward in roleplaying. I think you should just take the names from the orgs. Then have org.'s be able to join the differant company's depending on guild status. Yet still have rules inorder to maintain the orgs in the company.
    Like an org can only have Soldiers in order to join the Omni-Pol faction or something like that, but whatever you do you best do it fast for when SWG comes out you will lose a lot of your customers inless you can satasfy us better
    Written by, Kineda;
    Member of, Shaolin

good luck getting into SWG Beta lol, Lucas hired everyone internally but for a choice few, if you arent in now...dont plan on it

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast