Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Large Player Structures - Organisations!

Re: Storyline and guilds

Originally posted by Shamx
    Wow Bionitrous

It is so wonderful to see that you can speak for Funcom and tell the rest of us un-enlightened what we can do to affect the story!
    Have you ever played a regular tabletop game? I'm talking dice and character sheets? You ever try to play a game where the GM has this big plotline with twists, secret plots, espionage, and NPC character interaction? Have you seen how pissed she gets when you disregard all of this and decide to attack a castle because you can use the gold in there to buy a huge army?
    As a matter of fact Funcom doesn't even run events those are done by the ARK's (volunteer players) and even those aren't included in the "story" most of the time.
    Bull****. GMs are game masters, and can control NPCs as well. So can ARKs who are in the Events department. Remember, there is an actual employee that handles events.
    It is wonderful to see that soemone thinks that they can actually affect anything in the game when it is painfully clear to the rest of the community that nothing we do does affect the story in one direction or another, short of a blurb.
    And it is so wonderful that you share with us your infinite wisdom that you feel left out from the people who have been in an event.
    There is no battle between the factions, there is simply a convient way to PVP. There is no political influence or even statesmanship (the original outline for Crats).
    Gee, imagine that. All I thought PvP was for was for those useless titles.
    There is barely anyway to level in the game short of missions, since funcom is painfully aware of how fast they are losing their subscription base, so they turn up the level curve more and more.
    Right, because we know that everyone is in an absolute rush to get to 200.
    This is not roleplaying to any degree, where is the story based missions that the community has to complete to affect the story?
    You mean the story-based mission that everyone can do just like you can and affect the whole universe by completing it? I think I saw it in Rome, and completed it 15 times already. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Shamx
    [B]Who ever said WE SHOULD WRITE OUR OWN Story? Where should I go to trigger an advantage for clans or omni for that matter ?
    Where's the NPC (either GM run or AI?) That I talk to to trigger some key happening?
    Before or after the bloodthirsty activists kill them for their Ph4t l3wtz?
    Where's the Questing? What can my guild do that would affect anyhting other than going and killing some unique spawn?
    Well, lessee.. that spawn that everyone else can kill, and put their name in the headlines as well?
    The story in this game is Theatre (Funcom says is RPG) The rest of the game is a level contest, and a item camping lag fest. I say that Funcom hasn't made a step in the right direction, I am glad you are happy to play a movie from a website and call it Roleplaying.
    And story-based guilds that a player can join is...bad...
    In short I find your knowledge fictional, Your faith misplaced, and your fanatasism about which you spew this forth vulgur.
    Vulgar. Fanaticism.

4 years? Could you quit and come back in a year? Okie, thanks pleasedrivethrough.
    Last edited by Deaddreamer; May 9th, 2002 at 23:18:16.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Thx for leaving us Neutrals out of this.../me frowns
    You always seem to over look that we are exisist on Rubi-Ka too!
    Please make some Neutral additions to Large org...
    Misty "Crimeareeva" Meanor
    Life of an Agent - Sworn to Secrecy From Birth™

Crime Inc. Action Figure - Small Crime Thug™
    Copyright© Crime Inc. 1496-29478

Additions

What are neutrals?

That is a good point.. but what kind of role would a neutral play as a large orgnization?

A band of mercenaries, perhaps a free trade organization, assassins for hire?

Maybe the best would be an ICC Ambassadory, working with the ICC Greeters and Advisors directly.. without bugging them about out of game stuff.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

For the MMORPG Elitists:

Post some crazy ideas...

About guild houses for meetings... meeting without any uninvited guests can be arranged in mission areas. If anyone haven´t thought it. But real guild HQ will be great.

This is propably little off the point but is the possible to use macro-guilds and sub-guilds? Like allied guilds will join to macro-guild which have own chat channel, maybe available to all or just selected guild members. And sub-guilds for perhaps prof chat channels or something real for guild ranks.

Storylines and Guilds

Deaddreamer

You have made my point for me even though you seemed to have thought you were contradicting me.

The story is a webpage and the only things you can do is camp a spawn, there are no story missions , no choices and the best you can hope for is to get a blurb on a webpage.

Thanks again for making my point evven clearer.

Angry Dont be so negative

Ok as far as roleplaying games go there is a crutial factor in them player involvment. You cant expect the moderator to make the rolplaying factor fun or even existant. Pretend to react to news form the website. Have conversations about how you fell about past events. Do something in retalitation to past events. Talk to people in charicter on how you want them to behave.

If you look at the negative they you wont see the good things bout the game. Like the 3000 other players any given day you can talk to and pretend stuff with.

Example: Accouding to the "Tir accourd" set by the Council of Truth Omni have the right to inspect clan controlled areas for posible threats and abnormalitys. Red Tape and Omni-Pol start walking around areas of Tir that are not populated by Clan Watchers.
    They walk up to clan devices such as the insurance terminals and scan them. They then make up reports on their findings. Clan poeple pretend to investigate these activites and try to preshure the omni to leave. Later to find out that the Omni are acually clan sympatsisers that are intrested in peace. They actually want the Omni and Clan focres to start distincing themselves from the Extremists on both Factions that are pepetuating the war. Best part is that everone involved is a player and not a ARK, GM, or Funcom rep.

1 *and* 2.

Take back the names. Let players who don't wish to deal with a player run org join up with the GM-run Omni-Pol org. These should enforce some level of story-appropriateness, i.e. go kill neutral guards out of boredom and you're out.

At the same time, create the company/conclave system, so that existing guilds can still align themselves if they wish. I'd love to see Division 9 (Omni-AF) or Aspirants (Vanguard). It allows existing guilds to feel affiliated with the story, allows players to be affiliated with the factions without dealing with a player-run guild, and would only piss of the few orgs who took an official name and would object to changing it. There may not even be any of these - The Knights already said they'd turn it over, Meister seems like he'd be reasonable, etc. etc.

By doing both, you create the most flexibility and the most story-appropriate option.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Yes, the player-run Omni-Pol has made the argument regarding taking the name back or not a more difficult one. They have been doing a good job at the top levels. I really liked that one suggestion that if a guild align themselves with a Story Org that their name go something like 'Omni-Pol: S.W.A.T.' or somesuch and a guildless player who joins Omni-Pol simply be 'Omni-Pol'. The ':' could be reserved to let people know when a player guild is a real division of a Story Org.

Originally posted by Crimeareeva
    Thx for leaving us Neutrals out of this.../me frowns
    You always seem to over look that we are exisist on Rubi-Ka too!
    Please make some Neutral additions to Large org...
    I don't think neutrals should even be recognized.

It should not be considered a third faction... If they banded up and called themself a faction them they woulnd't BE neutral they would be a third side to the conflict.

This is between clan and omni as far as I'm concerned. IMO the Neutral slot is there for newbs that want to sit back and see how things are before choosing a side.

Question Well what about guilds that want to serve drinks

If this is going to happen what about my guild.... we serve drinks to all of rubi-ka from the rompa bar and many more..... will we have our own bar to serve drinks and stuff?
    what sucks about falling to your death............ is falling to your death

Re: Storylines and Guilds

Deaddreamer

You have made my point for me even though you seemed to have thought you were contradicting me.

The story is a webpage and the only things you can do is camp a spawn, there are no story missions , no choices and the best you can hope for is to get a blurb on a webpage.

Thanks again for making my point evven clearer.
    The story is a webpage because when an event happens, players attempt to kill the NPCs, Shout out OOC stuff, and ruin it for the ones who want the storyline.

I don't blame them for making it a webpage.
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

For the MMORPG Elitists:

Re: Well what about guilds that want to serve drinks

Originally posted by alofear
    If this is going to happen what about my guild.... we serve drinks to all of rubi-ka from the rompa bar and many more..... will we have our own bar to serve drinks and stuff?
    Well, I would think of it as a Union, that has union bartenders in already established places. They should also have an Official Union meeting hall to discuss things like wages, new alcohol laws, sexual harrasment.. things like that.

BtB, nice RP idea. A non-violent guild.. *gasps* OMFG, that is a rarity. Good job to the one who thought that one up!

I repeat, this message is geniunely sarcasm free. It IS a good idea.
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

For the MMORPG Elitists:

Funcom is making things look really promising

All I have to say ;

Funcom has picked up pace, and It's now fun to play AO again, with so many new and exciting things to explore (or hrmm, soon to explore!)

Weeee applause for FC, thanks guys, keep up the good work

^-^

Heh, would this even affect RK2? Or are we going to continue to get the shaft story wise?

Originally posted by wraith
    Heh, would this even affect RK2? Or are we going to continue to get the shaft story wise?
    I think that RK2 should get all the stories and RK1 should be left alone. That way, if people want to RP, they go to a less populated server without the NPC Gacking disphits.
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

For the MMORPG Elitists:

hmmm,

I agree with making existing orgs chng their names if they confilct with story-line orgs.. but can you include existing player-run orgs in the storyline.. even just in a minor way.. perhaps take more notice of what happens in-game.. i.e. if there is a major feud between two guilds, then make a not of this and perhaps include it in the story-line.. perhaps you could arrange with the presidecnts of the two guilds to stage battles etc. and the outcome of these battles could in some minor way affect the storyline...

People should be able to join story line oriented guilds, but also join other player-run giulds.. why not allow these two to interact with each other....

also...

why do our names have to stay the same.. (just add a counter in the database for a unique id). Most other games allow players to append "tags" to their names..

e.g.

[guildName] playerName

etc..

or

[guildName] playerName [rank]

If you really cba to rework ur data storage.. then why not just have an organisation or player option to display orgname and/or rank..

Which guild do you think the 47 people are from:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=24122

Pretty decisive results if you as me.

Bio, the votes were not from us. I only know of Trasey posting here on the forums and I have not voted yet (read all the posts in this thread first).

I just got around to check this thread today. Some interesting posts were made here, but as you might have guessed, I prefer option #3 for obvious reasons. Though, should Funcom decide that this issue will be dealt with in another way, Omni-Pol as a guild will cooperate. I did not create the guild, but I lead it since 6 months now. During this time, I was very much aware of the fact that our guildname could be at stake one day when Funcom gets around to noticing the guilds that actually have an impact on the world. I can assure you that my guild acts like the real Omni-Pol does. If inappropriate behaviour by our members happens, then we act accordingly and either investigate any complaints and remove any problematic members, or we find that certain behaviour is not going against Omni-Tek policies. We have accepted the fact that with the name "Omni-Pol" certain responsibilities are attached to it and we work day by day to present Omni-Pol in public, the way it is displayed by Funcom on several occassions. Even without the ability to enforce laws, we had the pleasant experience that Funcom provided means to enforce law by sending in "real" troops when the need for them arose to interfer to ensure that players have a pleasant roleplaying experience. In order to have "official" story organizations, the 3rd option appears to be best for what we have worked for since AO started last year and as President of my guild, it also appears to be best for the future of my guild, which we have put a lot of work in. Endorsing guilds like us as official departments, would open up way for even more and better roleplaying. The guild-aspect of these organizations would not be a problem. Recruitment would continue just the way it was done until now - on an individual basis with recruitment interview. Changing policies to be considered "official" or being forced to behave in a certain way by Funcom would not be a problem for us since that is what we try to do anyway. Omni-Pol is strict and does not allow breaches of policies - I know that best and can assure you aswell that - should option #3 be used - Omni-Pol will continue to be the strict and lawful guild it always was.

The alternative would be #2, taking the name away and using it for an official organization... which would of course require a lot of work on Funcoms part. Anyway.. I am up for the challenge and vote for #3 now
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Arrow Omni-Pol and FC

Well put Meister. I'm happy enough about option #3 if FC are happy with the player org, and the player org are happy handing over an element of control to FC. However, I still think long term that option #2 and the introduction of super-orgs will work out best.

On that basis Omni-Pol the player org could become, say, Omni-Pol Enforcement or Omni-Pol Investigations without a significant change in its current role. Remember, ultimately, these are story structures, there to encourage role-play and to manage the flow of story information from FC to the players in a more direct and controlled fashion.

Whatever happens, you'll have to give up a degree of your current autonomy.
    Last edited by Darkbane; May 18th, 2002 at 11:08:00.

Whatever Funcom decides to do, we will adapt to any things taken away, but would rather welcome the possibilities offered with option #3.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast