Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Large Player Structures - Organisations!

Well, LL is for a mix of option #1 and 2, so I guess I have to agree with him (he is my guild leader).

But really, why on Earth do people want to destroy already good guilds? Do you have any idea what a GM run guild will be like?! You can't pay someone to run a guild and run it well, its like having the government being in control of FC, FC would be ruined and the game would become a boring, non-improving, waste of servers. The people who run guilds must WANT to run the guilds and still pay FC money to do it, you can't put someone in who is only in charge to get paid. Try joining one of the event-GM run guilds, they have absolutly no structure and not many people stay in them for long.

Along with this; no one in the guild can question what the GM/ARK wants to do. If so they could be banned if the GM/ARK wants to get nasty about it, and FC already has enough stuff to worry about and I don't think Gaute wants to deal with any more problems.

It's not illegal untill there is a law against it, and you can't punish someone for doing something before it became illegal. Just offer a bonus or whatever to the guilds that already take the names FC wants to use, so they can switch peacefully.
    What if FC forces the name changes then does nothing else? You will have a bunch of angry players, and a bunch of other players who are being blamed for supporting the change.

What if omni-pol was changed to omni-police, omni-med was changed to omni-medical, omni-admin was changed to omni-administration, ect... With this the guilds/organizations will keep nearly the same names but FC could put new companies in. If a guild already had the name omni-medical then the two could join, or either of them could pick an entirely different name. For the clans you could have a "The Knights clan" or "The Sentinels clan", ect... Still with minor name changes and the same could be done if another guild already had the name picked as with OT.

Can we find out what FC actually wants to do with these new companies? If they are just creating something which is FC run, then I think its a dumb idea in general and will fail. If FC actually wants to use these guilds to have them do something in-game to build up the plot, then I think its a great idea.
    Last edited by Maxtor 1-7; May 19th, 2002 at 04:42:52.

I'm all for Option #2. FC should take back the names and get the OT departments and established clans truly involved in the story.
    SdKfz182
    Omni Enforcer lvl 43/3
    Formerly Vhaal and Ghilson
    "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Orgs

I would be ecstatic if organizations could be a sudivision of an official GM and ARK division. I'm sorry to say this, but when most of the guild chat is "... i got this new gun on a mission, anybody want it?" "...are there any Enfs on, i need an essence." "What is the combination to make a good foot implant?"

Granted, that is better than nothing at all on the channels.. but when it is nothing besides that... I was in guilds on EQ, some were great, RPed, the whole nine yards. An alt was in a guild that did the same thing in the previous example, and it was disappointing.

A little deus ex machina with storyteller involvement direct to the players through Managers, Bosses, Generals, CEOs, etc. is a welcome change for me.

As far as official names, yes, it should have been caught early on.. but first-come-first-serve for names has been knowingly bending the rules.

At least give them the option to be [Sentinels]<Wavy Gravy>KertKobayne says: "I like cheese, it's great to give on a first date."

A subdivision of a real RP company/org that can be barred if not following policy/clan party line, just like being fired. With all of the added negatives assigned with it.

"In headlines today, traitors from the faction group [Wavy Gravy] were officially banished from [Sentinels] due to (LeaderName) calling the Clan head a "poopoohead"... All other subdivisions are have been given license to assassinate members of [Wavy Gravy] on sight."

I would be nice about it, but the ones that have the official names and are not 'official' need to relenquish the name. I'm sure at least Omni-Pol had good intentions in mind, but with the option for Official Omni-Pol, perhaps it might be good to be OP Precinct 4...
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Guild shop

Guild areas should have shops where people can offload things, and set a price.

In my guild the price would be 0cr but i dont know how others run.

Profits from the shop could go to the guild bank, split amongst the members, or all to the leader or nominated char.

Non guild members should be able to enter the guild area if invited by member of certain level in guild.

Frawk

wouldnt be too bad to be forced to join a funcom organisation, and I see no reason why your guild couldnt be a faction of the funcom organisation(unless u chose the same name). I also wouldn't mind supreme leader of an organisation being an npc, all the members could log on (npc is always on)and see what the quest or target for the day is, instead of getting missions or hunting (like usual). Also would be interesting if that npc was killable by the opposition (war).Just adds a new dimension, and the quest or target could be storyline. It would give funcom way better control, at the moment, they really dont have much control it seems. The way things are going now, its getting kinda boring, I have seen a lot of neat ideas in this furom and really hope funcom does something to implement them.

Originally posted by razzz
    wouldnt be too bad to be forced to join a funcom organisation, and I see no reason why your guild couldnt be a faction of the funcom organisation(unless u chose the same name). I also wouldn't mind supreme leader of an organisation being an npc, all the members could log on (npc is always on)and see what the quest or target for the day is, instead of getting missions or hunting (like usual). Also would be interesting if that npc was killable by the opposition (war).Just adds a new dimension, and the quest or target could be storyline. It would give funcom way better control, at the moment, they really dont have much control it seems. The way things are going now, its getting kinda boring, I have seen a lot of neat ideas in this furom and really hope funcom does something to implement them.
    Hmm.. talk to the secretary to get custom, org missions, to fulfill Org goals...

I kinda like that.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Agree to taking the names back. Give those involved some time to change their org names. But i really hope this is what it ends in.

"Large Player Structures -- Organizations"?

I usually wouldn't post something like this...

...But how about we fix the Large Player Gatherings and Organize the code first.

I keep losing teams because I crash out everytime I enter broken shores, then I keep crashing as I try to get back in.

Ok, so the guild changes are good and all... but when I first read the title I thought you might be talking about fixing the lag issues with overcrowded zones. I can dream can't I?

FYI: Using AMD 1900+, Geforce 3 ti500, 512 RAM, 56k. I get a 20-40 FPS, it's the connection that kills me everytime.

I agree...

I agree with LostLogic with the mix of Option #1 & #2. It seems like the real way to go, Gaute.

Besides that I can only wait and see how you'll deal with the OHQ before I comment upon that. Can't really tell much from that But nice article. Keep up the good work, but get it into the game. I want it now, not when Shadowlands hits
    "I wont let my precious comrades die..."
    207|11 Equimon Solitus Soldier
    150|0 Wildcardz Atrox Enforcer
    092|0 Bloodnerve Solitus Doctor
    075|0 Layered Opifex Meta-Physist
    030|0 Gunpriest Solitus Ranged Keeper Gunpriest Chronicles <- Currently Under Construction

Guild banks or shops

When they implement guild housing, I would like some sort of guild bank or shop or depot functionality as well. Right now my guild, Ancarim Iron Legion, has depots for nanos, armour, weapons and implants, spread out in about 10 people's bank accounts. It would be great if we could have one huge guild bank, where everyone in one special division had access. Make a formal depot division for the /org, and give the members access to a depot or shop or whatever you want to call it.

Being able to open bags directly from that guild bank would be really awsome! Being able to rename bags to show what the content is would probably be impossible, but quite fantastic!

Please, FunCom, give us Guild BANK ACCOUNTS when you implement the houses!

Gattolina
    Kirikiri - Trader
    General, Depot Division
    Ancarim Iron Legion
    Gattolina - NT
    Ancarim Iron Legion

Lightbulb Some additional features, etc.

Since my organization does not conflict with any of the story names out there, I am not going to worry about it.

I am looking forward to organizational housing, but I would like to see the interior of it more customizable...as in I can change the colors of the walls, or something of that nature, to suit the organization.

Personally I think that any org who uses the story names should be forced to change them, if needbe. To something of that organizations liking, but it must change. I agree that It would simply be too confusing.

I like Darkbanes idea of a "Council". However, I don't think it should be a channel. These org leaders would have an ARK Representative of sorts whom they would touch base with on a regular basis, via email or such. A channel is unnessary, IMO.

However, there are a few tools that I would like to see implemented for guilds.

One, as seen with DAOC, is an online timer on the organizational pages. It tells you how long ago someone last logged on...in the last 24 hours...the last few days, last week or so, and finally people that haven't played in over two weeks. I believe this would be a good tool to assist me in promoting/demoting the members of my guild based on certain aspects related to their playtime.

Along with that, I would like to see org leaders have the functionality to demote members without having to target them. IE one of my generals hasn't played in a while. I don't want to boot them, but I don't want them to keep that rank either. But, I can't demote them...because they aren't there. Under the current system, they would have to be booted completely, or retain their rank.

Also I would like to see instituted are the stat bonuses for joining an organization. I keep seeing that Advantage-1h blunt skill in stores and wondering if features like that would be at least feasible to implement in the future. Something everyone can benefit from...things ranging from an XP % bonus for being a member, to AC bonuses, damage bonuses, etc.

Just wanted to throw those ideas out in the open and see what others may think of them.

Very Respectfully Sent,

Milford "Jawsman" Mustache
    Chief Engineer
    President, Omni-Tek Secret Service.

Take back the names, and definitly don't give them special endorsment. I can only see that creating resentment from other organisations.

Thumbs up Take back names

Yes.. please take back names.. let us playes be a part of the storline orgs.. we and you gain more by that . so
    Take back the names.. all of them..
    But do lead a discussion with org leadres first so that they know what is happening ..
    I love the engie combo, i create to destroy, how constructive

Reminds me of a little story about a guy who registered www.macdonalds.com.

He knew he had no right to it, and his last name wasn't macdonald or anything like that. Originally he claimed he took the name simply because he knew it would attract traffic. Later i am given to understand that he offered to sell the name for several million dollars.

He had the name forcebly and legally taken from him. Poor guy. Lost out on the illicit chance to make millions all from a 35 dollar registration. My heart bleeds.

Anyway, with respect to the issue at hand, you could go ahead and give control of these organizations to the leaders currently holding the names, but of course you would demand some input in the way things are run. This would shortly become a full time job. Eventually you would come to a point where you were telling the leaders what to do. This is essentially the same as disbanding their Org. In essence, eventually conflict of intrest will force your hand and you will have to seize control anyway. Might as well make the cut clean and get it over with.

It would be wishful thinking to imagine that such conflicts would not arise.

Additionally there is one other issue i have with allowing the existing orgs to keep their name: Are the current leaders the best for the job?

Certainly they are capable leaders, when drawn from a pool of 100 - 200 guild members. But when taken from a cross-section of tens of thousands of players? Are these leaders the most capable of any in the game? With due respect for these leaders i would have to say almost certainly not. To allow current leaders to stay in power with a new broader member base is to limit the potential for real leadership in that department on a grand scale - the best out of tens of thousands of players.

I vote for forced name change. They knew it would happen anyway. If i could get away with naming my Character 'PhillipRoss' I would expect to have the name taken from me This is no different is it?

Cool Massively??MORPG

I agree with Zeroshift: what about fixing basic team issues first?

Link Death is, imo, worse than dying by a mob: it takes much longer to get back into the team and sometimes you won't get back into the game at all.
    Whenever there are more than, say, 25 people in one place, normal gameplay is, uhh, well it sux.

AO is called an MassivelyMultiplayerORPG, well i think you should make it so that we can play with masses of people, but at least with 6 people in 1 team without having to wait 5 or 10 minutes for people who went LD.

I know FC is working on this, but it still ruins the fun.

Post Orgs, orgs, orgs...

I still think the FC/GM/ARK controlled super-orgs are the way to go. Individual orgs can align themselves with these if they choose (orgs can remain independent too). These super-orgs are primarily for role-play purposes after all. Take back the names, create the super-orgs, and, hardest of all , manage the super-orgs.

As far as names go, joining a super-org should alter an org's name.

For Omni orgs, this should appear as:

<super-org name> - <org name>
    ie Omni-Pol - Internal Security Division

For Clan orgs, as:

<org name> Sect of Clan <super-org name>
    ie Freedom Fighters Sect of Clan Eco-Warriors

Neutral orgs would just be named as now for the time being since there would be no true neutral super-org, just a neutral org leaders channel. Again, this might change down the line...

Some options as to name formats could be offered, or variations depending on super-org - clans should be more flexible than Omni in this respect - it is their nature after all...

The benefits of a super-org would be a new channel for all members and a new channel for all org leaders of that super-org. These would help facilitate the management of the story and any RP.

And yes, if the role-play waranted it, orgs could be kicked out of the super-orgs for dereliction of duty etc. Though hopefully the orgs would manage their own members in such a way that this wouldn't be needed.
    Last edited by Darkbane; May 7th, 2002 at 13:50:22.

Thanks for the feedback and discussion, everyone. I think I'm already to see the picture painted here, but we'll see. Keep it coming.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Ideas and Opinions

First off, my vote on the guild/story-org situation. I really prefer the conclave/company system which orgs can apply for, as it seems to be the one with the most going for it both short and long term. It doesn't disrupt the existing names, gives everyone who wants to a chance to participate and all in all seems to make the most sense.

From the new player point of view, if guild names displayed their conclave/company first then their org name, it would help things. For example 'Omni-Pol: Omni-Pol' as well as 'Omni-Pol: SomeOtherGuild'. By then asking people to represent themselves accordingly it would certainly make the new player experience easier.

I am very much *against* option 3, as there may well be more guilds who are keenly interested in being involved in the main story then there are super-orgs. Also, expecting a subset of existing players to be able to run their story org. full time may be asking too much of the player base. Many will say they can, but when RL commitments and the like crop up, it would be better to have a system that can adapt and cope. Centralised systems in an environment like this = bad news. That is, in fact, the current problem and part of the reason this is up for discussion now. If FC cannot give the players the attention they are demanding regarding super-orgs, it is naive to think any one org. can.

If any name changes are going to happen, I prefer option 2 to option 3. Why? Because option 2 = one name change now, rather than the possibility of multiple painful name changes for the rest of the life of AO. Its like ripping a plaster off fast rather than bit by bit.

The OHQ stuff sounds great - the limitations are reasonable. Being able to select *where* your OHQ is would be nice, but if you were to restrict them based on what super-org you belonged to that might help spread things around a bit and make more 'story' sense. If Omni-Med is in Omni-HQ, then having all Omni-Med companies in HQ as well would certainly add versimilitude.

On the 'powergamer' side, how about being able to add in org. mission terminals inside your OHQ? Not necessarily player-run stuff, but certainly missions 'tailored' to the guild objectives. Maybe with the good/bad, order/chaos etc. sliders set to a particular setting? If they gave slightly better rewards than the standard terminals (say +2%) then that would give people a reason to have and use them, and encourage guild members to do appropriate missions as well.

Grid access is a good one. As an extension to that, how about a 'beacon' system that allows players to warp back by carrying and using a special guild warp item? Maybe this item can only be used in the grid, but provides a nice workaround for being able to download from grid to OHQ. Have it distributed by a vendor inside the OHQ and make it UNIQUE/NODROP and you've probably solved most of the potential nasties. 'twould certainly make getting from Stret West to the rest of the world easier when Newlands has gone down due to overpopulation...

The ability to purchase a mini-arena for your guild would be very nice for those PvP guilds - espeically if the arena used standard 0% rules instead of arena rules - good for practicing or proving your l33t-ness. Even if it spawned a variant of a mission to do the actual PvP in. Kind-of like a guild-only variant of the hunting areas in standard HRs, only without NPC MObs.

An org. bank with rank-controlled access would also be very nice. Especially if members of other ranks could view the contents but not withdraw/deposit.

#1. Just causes confusion.
    #2. This is the way to go.
    #3. This is too dependant on the ones who get the assignment. Risky.
    #4. Not an option.

I say go with #2. An addition should be that it should be possible for each guild to align themselves to one of the departments/clans and it should be visible behind the guild name as for what department/clan they are aligned with. Shift-leftclick would show something like:

Uber-guild47 (Omni-Pol)
    Tarasquecampers12 (The Sentinels)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast