Thread: Notum

Notum

OK, Rubi-Ka is based on this. It is the heart of the world, the conflict, and the game in general.

So my question is this - WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS IT?

The most I've seen of it (besides obviously being integrated into nanotech etc) is little random chips that I find more rarely than powerful weapons, compters, and precious metals. There aren't even the large mining camps one would expect to see... I mean,the point of the conflict is that Omni is trying to maintain a monopoly on Notum. One would assume that the Clans would be inviting/selling to other companies, no?

What about mining outposts? Or something like Frontier's mining system, where you could travel around and set up mining operations (probably with guards that can be hired/purchased/robots)? They could have limited life. This would be great for a game event like a load being found; players flock to the site to set up camps, and scuffles break out. Larger organizations would be able to exert force. Mining would directly sell the Notum to Omni or the Clans for cash income - but it would require upkeep, so you could lose money on a poor site, and you would need a certain level of engineering/mechanical/etc knowledge to set up camps of various size and quality. Income wouldn't be GREAT unless you devoted a lot of time to just being a miner, and protecting your sites (their locations and from attack). Perhaps the Clans would get paid more for their mining than OT, since there is competition instead of a flat rate.

And related to that, what about some NPC citizens in cities? Togglable, if necessary for slower computers and connections. It'd be nice to see a bunch of random people making the streets crowded by day and empty by night... even if they are CLIENT SIDE generated to avoid lag and have no effect on gameplay. It would also make assassination missions harder. :-p

So, combine these; remote mining camps with Miner NPCs and guards; allow the sides to raid each other's mining camps, slaughter workers if necessary or wanted (some could be Neutral, and work for whoever is in charge of the area, and some camps could be entirely run by one side). It would make the game more dynamic without messing with larger issues; there wouldn't be very much effect on the world if a camp were lost or taken, other than a more in depth world.

Or, hell, you could base the total economy of one side on these mining camps. Since money and items are infinite in the game, perhaps they should be limited by overall economic factors? Say, when the Clans have no mining camps left, items and cash become scarcer, reflected in mission rewards dropping, items becoming more expensive in general, etc...

I'm overall upset with the economic system of the game (as you can tell) that relies on large-payout missions and fighting, doesn't reward role playing and trade skills, and has no depth; everything is infinite.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

There is a mining camp outside of Borealis, and I think there at least one in southern Stret West Bank. Not sure of others.

I don't see that much actual Notum, but there was someting about one of the Notum cannons(to fire large amounts of notum into space for pickup) being disabled in Omni territory by clans.

Yes; it is in the background. But I pictured Rubi-Ka as more of a mining outpost than anything else.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist