Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting Loyalties

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Conflicting Loyalties

Conflicting Loyalties
    Korev Jurik

(IRRK) - When the Shadowlands opened, the realization that an ancient race known as the Xan existed within sent shockwaves through much of galactic society. And with rumors that some of these Xan have been pulling the strings of the renowned hypercorporation Omni-Tek, Rubi-Ka's rebel Clans have recieved a new influx of support.

"The fact that Omni-Tek has entered into pacts with these creatures...that is unacceptable," says Rachel "Blackpetal" Schuemann, one of the founding members of a group of Omni-Tek refugees calling themselves The Loyal Opposition. "The Unredeemed are nothing less than demons. They are the Fallen."

According to Blackpetal, humanity was created by the Xan faction called the Redeemed, and Omni-Tek has been controlled by the Unredeemed faction since its creation over seventeen thousand years ago. "Both the Redeemed and Unredeemed have documented their history quite thoroughly," says Blackpetal, "if one knows where to look."

Despite this, Blackpetal refuses to consider herself a member of the Clans, despite having taken sanctuary within their ranks. "As I keep telling people," she says, "I haven't joined the Clans. I will never consider myself to be anything but a citizen of Omni-Tek, regardless of my legal status at the moment." Seeing herself as "Omni-in-exile", Blackpetal has dedicated herself to reforming Omni-Tek, which she is convinced means purging it of the Unredeemed alliance.

The Loyal Opposition began with Schuemann and Associates, a group of Omni-employed lawyers whose leaders left the corporation after allegedly learning that the Unredeemed faction has been responsible for Omni-Tek's rise to power since its very inception -- a charge Starlight member Thanix thinks preposterous.

"No one controls Omni-Tek except Mr. Ross,", says Thanix. "I don't know who got that silly idea."

But no matter who got the idea originally, it remains out there nonetheless. The opening of the Shadowlands and the discovery of the Xan has and will continue to change how we see not only ourselves, but the Omni-Tek corporation. Whether Blackpetal is right that the Unredeemed are the evil rulers behind the Omni-Tek corporation, or Thanix is right that Phillip Ross is the only "puppetmaster" behind Omni-Tek of Rubi-Ka, the rumors that have been unleashed will transform Rubi-Ka politics for years to come.

The question of who is controlling what is moot. There were no controls over the free will of the Omni-Tek employees you see working day and night to improve Rubi-Ka. Those employees I am referring to are the ones that have aided the Neutrals in the establishment of the NGI that led to the formation of the Newland Militia and removed Loren Warr from Newland City.

Phillip Ross too, has donated a portion of his own funds to the cause. If the Unredeemed really were controlling Omni-Tek, their greedy nature would surely have stopped CEO Ross from performing the act of charity. The only thing controlling Omni-Tek is a sense of duty and obligation to maintain a civilized society of law and order for Rubi-Ka against baseless aggression from the Clans.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I dont understand you Blackpetal. You say you still think of yourself as an Omni employee but why not go to the Neutrals then instead of the Clans? The very faction who takes every opportunity they get killing and sabotaging us, Omni ppl, whom you claim to still be a part of. Why the Clans and not the Neutrals?
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

*sighs* Mr Houston, unfortunately, yer argument simply doesn't hold water to tha eyes of such people. We work fer Omni-Tek? Then we're damned/evil/corrupted/blind/fools. There's no middle-ground left. Seems that tha idea of "we work fer our employer 'cuz we chose it and fer our own reasons" doesn't exist anymore.

Seems to meh too that Ms Schuemann, while embracing this... philosophy? religion, rather?... of hers has forgotten tha words "logics" and "tolerance" on her way out. Ah, but I remember - she openly called me evil and claimed that I've sold my soul to demons, so I suppose anything I can state, write or do is tha word of Evil. I ain't really sure that all of this can be taken too seriously after all. And certainly not when we must hear 'bout "evil", "demons", "demonic pacts" and whatever other crap spitted out by a fanatic whose words prove even more intolerance than she blames us for. This preaching-mania is growing disgusting.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Don't try to pull those sweet prejudices away from the people. It's so warm and safe behind the wall of bliss, where everything is either black or white .... right?

I wonder when people stop judging others by looking at a badge.

Corrine 'Daimoness' Wright
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Demenzia
    We work fer Omni-Tek? Then we're damned/evil/corrupted/blind/fools.
    To address your concern, I would like to point out the double standard imposed on the Omni-Tek employees. When an Omni-Tek kills someone the act is labled as 'oppression'. When a Clan kills someone the same act is labled as 'liberation'. I fail to see the distinction between the two because the end result was that someone got killed but that is how Omni-Tek's actions have been judged by the nay-sayers.

It is a matter of perspective. To illustrate, if someone trespassed on your property you would see the trespasser as 'bad' because you saw them as having violated a right that you have. To the person traspassing however, they could see you the property owner as 'selfish' to deny them from simply walking through because it is a shortcut to somewhere.

Were either of the persons involved in what they did good or evil in and of itself?

Now what if the property owner was Omni-Tek and the trespassing person a Clanner? Ah, suddenly the fingers start pointing as the Clanner say Omni-Tek was oppressing them and Omni-Tek are saying the Clanners have no respect for the laws.

Now lets try having the Clans as the property owner and the traspasser Omni-Tek. Funny how a simple subsistution of names changes the entire outlook of the story.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Originally posted by Kithrak
    The question of who is controlling what is moot. There were no controls over the free will of the Omni-Tek employees you see working day and night to improve Rubi-Ka. Those employees I am referring to are the ones that have aided the Neutrals in the establishment of the NGI that led to the formation of the Newland Militia and removed Loren Warr from Newland City.
    I hardly think the question of control is "moot," Charles. It may surprise you to learn that I have tremendous respect and admiration for your causes...despite my reservations about your motives. However, what your arguments, and, in fact, the arguments of everyone I have heard on this matter, try to mask the issue by imposing a willful myopia. You scrutinize the individual, find him largely blameless and innocent, and wrongfully conclude that the larger institution is innocent.

My argument with Omni-Tek starts at the top:the Board of Directors, and the systems they have imposed to manipulate the larger mass of Omni-Tek employees to throw away their destinies UNKNOWINGLY in the service of demons. Every mission employees perform...every credit they spend...serves to enhance the demons' powerbase and extend their reach, further and further into the Shadowlands.

Phillip Ross too, has donated a portion of his own funds to the cause. If the Unredeemed really were controlling Omni-Tek, their greedy nature would surely have stopped CEO Ross from performing the act of charity. The only thing controlling Omni-Tek is a sense of duty and obligation to maintain a civilized society of law and order for Rubi-Ka against baseless aggression from the Clans.
    I somehow doubt, Charles, that you are so naive as to truly believe this, though it's pretty to think so, isn't it?

God save Omni-Tek!

-Blackpetal
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

*sighs* Mr Houston, unfortunately, yer argument simply doesn't hold water to tha eyes of such people. We work fer Omni-Tek? Then we're damned/evil/corrupted/blind/fools. There's no middle-ground left. Seems that tha idea of "we work fer our employer 'cuz we chose it and fer our own reasons" doesn't exist anymore.
    It isn't that they don't exist, Jenae...it's that they don't matter.

Seems to meh too that Ms Schuemann, while embracing this... philosophy? religion, rather?... of hers has forgotten tha words "logics" and "tolerance" on her way out.
    Sadly, logic holds up poorly to the metaphysical reality with which we now find ourselves confronted. I am a logical person only so far as it is practical. As for tolerance...I'm afraid you're right. You will never find me "preaching" tolerance of evil, or accepting that some people may simply "choose" to follow a path that damns not only them, but my beloved corporation, planet, and potentially even the very universe itself. I can't afford the luxury of such "tolerance," and neither can any other person who values what is good in the world.

God save Omni-Tek!

-Blackpetal

Originally posted by Blackpetal

My argument with Omni-Tek starts at the top:the Board of Directors, and the systems they have imposed to manipulate the larger mass of Omni-Tek employees to throw away their destinies UNKNOWINGLY in the service of demons. Every mission employees perform...every credit they spend...serves to enhance the demons' powerbase and extend their reach, further and further into the Shadowlands.

Okay… Though I asked similar questions before elsewhere, and I didn’t get a response, I’ll try again.

First, what evidence do you have that indicates the Omni-Tek Board of Directors on Omni-Prime is being manipulated or is in league with demons?

Second, where did you get this information? Was it from the Redeemed? If so, is it beyond a shadow of a doubt that their report was not biased as to demonize their enemies so that you would kill them and their allies without mercy?
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Demons. Hump. Mythos from eons ago, translated to our unjustly named allies the Unredeemed. Simply because the forms they have appearn 'denomic' and 'evil' to those still floundering about in the grip of superstitious clan idealology, doesnt make it so. Have you never heard the saying 'dont judge a book by its cover?"

I have been attacked without provocation from the so called 'redeemed' of the Shadowlands before, simply because i proudly declare my allegience and support of Omni-Tech - and the decisions the Company chooses to make. How does this make these so called 'angelic' alien allies good? How does this attacking without provocation and without query into our purpose prove that the Redeemed are in some way 'better' than the UnRedeemed

And just what are they 'Redeemed' from anyway? More superstitious mojo to me.

Dr Jaklin Jones, Field Medic
    Division9, RSGE

Jaklin 'Vadimoridin' Jones - Doctor
    Mavron - Engineer
    Calis "Covayende" Camori - Martial Artist

(Not Div9 Affiliated)
    Marissa 'Tohdasar' Aristo - Doctor

Originally posted by Marisha

Okay… Though I asked similar questions before elsewhere, and I didn’t get a response, I’ll try again.

First, what evidence do you have that indicates the Omni-Tek Board of Directors on Omni-Prime is being manipulated or is in league with demons?

Second, where did you get this information? Was it from the Redeemed? If so, is it beyond a shadow of a doubt that their report was not biased as to demonize their enemies so that you would kill them and their allies without mercy?
    Unfortunately, several of the most important texts I have collected from the Shadowlands were stolen from me shortly before I left Omni-Tek, so I'm forced to quote from memory, but I believe the translation is accurate...

Forever after, the fleeing Unredeemed have been
    banned from their seat of power, their Source,
    their Shadowlands. For ages they have [UNTRANSLATED]
    [UNTRANSLATED], hungered to return.

They knew their return would depend on
    humans, the Seeds of Prophecy. To control them,
    to dominate their fate, the Unredeemed spent
    thousands of years squashing all the seedlings of
    humanity spread by the Redeemed. Until there
    was only one left, that of Earth, the one most like
    themselves.

In Omni-Tek, [UNTRANSLATED]
    [UNTRANSLATED], the Unredeemed believed they had
    found their loyal slaves, vassals that would once
    again prepare their seat of power. Working
    behind the throne, [UNTRANSLATED]
    [UNTRANSLATED], the Unredeemed controlled Omni-
    Tek's Board of Directors.
    Who the historian who wrote this was, unfortunately, is unknown to me, but he (she?) seems not to have served either the Redeemed or Unredeemed, since he refers to both groups in the third person. Even accounting for historical bias, the discovery of mention to Omni-Tek is damning evidence on it's own...

No doubt, Marisha, you will find this insufficient evidence, and you will continue to dwell in darkness, blind to the truth.

God save Omni-Tek!

-Blackpetal

((I meant to respond to this last time... sorry... ^_^;;

((Oh! Also, I WISH this material existed online somewhere, since the entire piece is pretty cool, but anyone who wants to read the entire chronicle should have it fairly close at hand... It's on the back of the map that came with Shadowlands! ^_^ ))
    Last edited by Blackpetal; Feb 18th, 2004 at 02:05:58.

Blackpetal i admit i have conflicting thoughts about your 'Omni' in exile, though i do admire your dedication to what you think is best... but thats neither hear no there.

Tell me though, Blackpetal, how does one verify the sayings you have so called 'found' - seing as how it was confiently stolen from you.

It be just as easy to write the opposite is true, that the Redeemed control the Clans and have a desire to destroy OT and let chaos reign on the planet that is obviously going to determine humanities future.

And another point, if you think that is just me throwing out crap - Who even says it was translated right?
    Division9, RSGE

Mavron - Engineer

(Not Div9 Affiliated)

You're right, Vadimoridin... It is to my eternal loss that I allowed such irreplaceable documents to be stolen from me... Obviously as a "traitor" and "fanatic," my words are unlikely to sway those loyal to Omni-Tek's current regime, and the suggestion that one take such things on faith is unlikely to win me many allies either...

I would say this: if you listen to the words of the Redeemed and Unredeemed, and see their actions and their goals, even the smallest of their goals... and if your heart is open... I believe you will hear the truth of what I have said.

As for the translation... well...I consider my sources quite reliable, but that will certainly not appease you either.

Maybe there can be no verification. Ultimately, one must either know it to be true, or live on believing it to be false... I don't find that answer very satisfying, but I don't have a better answer yet... Proof in the realm of metaphysics is a difficult thing...

I would gladly speak with you further, though I doubt you would accept my invitation...

-Blackpetal

Just because my loyalty lies with the current Omni tech (and i consider working from within better than from without) does not mean i am hostile to you, Blackpetal. As i previously stated, your Dedication to what you believe is admirable, even if personaly i find you wrong. But agree to disagree i suppose.

However, simply because we disagree, does not mean we cannot speak - tho i admit, because of your status as "Traitor" to omnitech, which you so stated yourself, i must be warry for my own saftey, you understand.

What would you like to speakof?

Jaklin Jones, Field Medic
    Division9, RSGE

Mavron - Engineer

(Not Div9 Affiliated)

So, the Hecklers did eat your homework...

Well, I write “The Clans” and “The Omni-Tek Corporation” numerous times a day, and that doesn’t make me neutral in the conflict, so I’ll take the assertion for a lack of bias with a grain of salt. As for the convenient theft and memory reciting, it reminds me of something another soldier told me after his wife left him. “I remember things the way I remember them, not necessarily they way they were.” He later got a brain burn, forgot he had ever been married, and was a completely different person. I was secretly overjoyed when he left the unit.

Maybe if you had photographs, or could indicate where it was found, I’d have more proof. However, to take your word that there was once a document that indicated a connection to Omni-Tek from eons past, but now the documents and all evidence are gone, and the only copy resides in your memory… Ach, maybe if I had been taken from the vats yesterday, I’d believe you.

((See, I’m not convinced that what’s printed on the back of maps and the boxes are in game knowledge, beyond setting the mood of the game. It’s like saying “How can you shoot women and children?” and the response being “Easy, you press ‘Q.’” In my larp experience, that’s what we call “White Wolf Lore x5” and it’s one of my pet peeves.))
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Those behind Omni-Tek and the Shadowlands are merely our relatives from aeons past. The Xan are our heritage and they chose to use the power of the source to better their lives. Why would one turn against this?

Blood runs thicker than water...
    Meldaeyn
    220 Omni Meta-Physicist on Rimor
    As long as the enemies of the corporation still draw breath, there can be no peace.

What's good? What's evil? What is just and what is unjust?

If you look at history from different points of view you will soon realize that these categories are in many aspects arguable. Ther is no absolute evil, in the same way as there is no pure good - outside any religion or myth we choose to believe in.

The heritage of the Xan and their descendants are not explored yet, we're only just beginning to understand what happened in this other dimension and how it might affect us.

It is true that - depending on oneself's beliefs and cultural education - the redeemed would look more angelic and the unredeemed more devilish. But do you judge only from that?

From what Ergo taught me, I can just assume that the cataclysmic self-destruction process of the Shadowlands began with ruthless exploitation of the Notum and the inability of the Xan to realize what they had done. The Unredeemed tried to increase the Notum extraction from the Source to counter it, the Redeemed believed that the exploitation of the Source had brought their fate.

It takes little imagination to realize the implications of this simple for our world. It is unlikely though that a profit-oriented corporation is able to include preservation of a unique resource and their core income into their business plan, but you are of course free to prove otherwise. Until that happens, I can indeed see some resemblance in the methods between the Unredeemed and Omni-Tek.

We are but grazing the surface now, most of the wisdom - and even the very nature of Notum - are yet beyond our grasp.

Daimoness Wright
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

Dr Jaklin Jones, Field Medic

The victorious dictate history.
    Division9, RSGE

Mavron - Engineer

(Not Div9 Affiliated)

I think I can simplify that even further Daimoness.

How did Blackpetal come to the conclusion that the Unredeemed are 'evil' and Redeemed 'good'? Ask the Redeemed and sure enough they will say the Unredeemed are evil. Go ask the Unredeemed and guess what? They think the Redeemed are fairly evil as well.

Hum, now lets recap.

The Unredeemed are evil because the Redeemed said so.
    The Redeemed are evil because the Unredeemed said so.

Does that help clear things up?

I think I can simplify that even further Daimoness.

How did Blackpetal come to the conclusion that the Unredeemed are 'evil' and Redeemed 'good'? Ask the Redeemed and sure enough they will say the Unredeemed are evil. Go ask the Unredeemed and guess what? They think the Redeemed are fairly evil as well.

Hum, now lets recap.

The Unredeemed are evil because the Redeemed said so.
    The Redeemed are evil because the Unredeemed said so.

Does that help clear things up?
    It may surprise you to learn, Charles that I have spoken to both Redeemed and Unredeemed. The Redeemed were (not surprisingly) quite reticent to deal with me while I was legally tied to Omni-Tek, but a few of them were willing to talk with me. I similarly found a few Unredeemed who were willing to share their thoughts and philosophies with me.

We may judge a person by his words and we may judge a person by his actions. We may judge a culture or community, likewise, by their collective words and actions. The words and actions of the Redeemed and Unredeemed speak VOLUMES about their relative places in the moral universe. Though neither group speaks with a single voice, one witnesses in the Redeemed compassion, charity, love, understanding, virtue, righteousness, and a thirst for justice. By the same token, one sees in the Unredeemed pettiness, cruelty, hatred, greed and a lust for power at any cost. If you are so deluded, Charles, that you cannot divide those into "good" and "evil," then your hope of salvation is nil.

As for Daimoness and her moral relativism...it sickens me, and I won't even entertain the argument any more--it has been given too much play already.

God save Omni-Tek!

-Blackpetal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast