Thread: Horror in Newbie zone

Unhappy Horror in Newbie zone

Horror in the Newbie zone

I planed a Help the Newbie Day in Tir 1 on Rubi-Ka2. I spent 4 hours looking for stuff to put in 15 sacks. Each sack (a small back pack) consisted of a 2 deck belt and two NCU giving an increase of 8 but requiring only a computer lit of 30 so I could buff them into it. It also had a key duplicator, a lockpick, a health pack and nano pack ql 8. In addition I had the best nano for profession (times five) that that profession did not begin with that was either a ql 4 or a ql 1. As I said it took 4 hours to find the NCU and belt and put it all together.
    Then came the horror. It took 6 hours to get rid of the sacks. I asked for 3 monster parts and would give them the sack. This Is what I shouted “Free starter pack of goodies for the person who brings me 3 monster parts” The monster parts I converted into blood plasma using a Bio-communicator and put in the sack too. 6 hours it took for me to give them away. There was a MA (Kwickkick) who buffed them with crits and brawl etc after they had the belt in. One person put the 3 monster parts in the window but would not hit accept trade until she saw the gift (boy did u blow it and I (my MP or my Doc) will never help you), as I was search for the nano for her profession she felt I was trying to cheat her she left. I pity her as her life must be really rotten to have so little trust in a game. I was so discourage after this that I went to kill something (Many omni died in Home that day). Feeling better after I leveled (thanks team, sorry Z) I thought maybe my approach was wrong. I had many left over nano of each profession as I had bought 5 of each. This time I would just give them away. One hour later of yelling “free nanos” and dropping them shouted into chat I had no responds. 11 hours of my life I spent trying to help them buying almost 50k worth of stuff. I realize they are newbies but why do they have so little trust, do they think like that one (boy I hope u feel stupid) that I am trying to cheat them. I set up The Sentinals to help people especially newbies, but I am very discouraged. I will try once more but if a repeat I think I will never try to help people in By1 again.

My MP Heris was there
    Asal
    Doctor
    Appartment 5 Tir
    Proud member of Rubi-ka2
    http://www.guildportal.com/guildHome.asp?GuildID=1117

Hey that happens, I run across some mistrust as well. Just be for real and keep trying

Yesiamstoned level 137 nanomage NT RK- 2
    Peace $ Love, inc.

P.S. Die Clanner, LOL

Well I'm a newbie and would have loved the chance of getting the stuff, but people are people and newbies sometimes are complete newbies. I have only played one MMORPG before and that was DAoC for a little over a month. I made a level 33 heroe and had for the time, but it got boring.

The thing was I had to have many friends who I played for years with in RTS games such as Age of Kings to practically hold my hand, and show me how to do everything. It was quite embarrassing, but I finally got it. Sometimes the issue is pride that someone needs to help them. I was able to get right into a large guild where there was around 30 people that knew each other for years, and we in turn helped the other guild members. The problem was that the newbies well acted strangely and we never knew what would happen. Man several times a person would join the guild get a ton of stuff and than switch guilds the next day to get free goodies. Man that was so frustrating and caused us to rethink on how we treated new members.

So in closing I think newbies = wild animals. In the way that they might seem nice and all of a sudden bam they turn and bite you in the arse But I think being a nice person in MMORPG is work but is well worth it. So I would encourage you to keep up the good work, but with a little hard earned wisdom knowing that random people do random things.

-UConn

Level 12 Soldier Clan Rubi-Ka 2

You worked too hard

Rather than setting a goal for yourself of giving out X number of unbelievable new start goodies, ponder a few things. I think if you set your sights a little lower or change your approach you will find your efforts much more rewarding. Remember, that a lot of new characters are alts of players, so it is difficult to find the truly new characters to begin with. Those that are truly new, find it extremely difficult to do the most basic of things - get their weapon in their hand, chat, load a nano, etc. and may or may not have read the manual.

Talk to them, have patience and compassion for their situation. Ask them what it is they want to learn, what it is they need. Some like the adventure of"going it alone", some are distrustful (afraid like in UO that you would give them a trapped bag that kills them and you take all their stuff after they die), some can not figure out how to type a message that responds to your question. It sounds like you did find some true gems. I helped characters for 8 hours on Christmas Day last year at a time when talk among guilds was that RK2 was to be shut down due to lack of people. I made 2 good friends that day and truly helped a couple of dozen people, I was there with my doc giving a 6 NCU hitpoint buff and healing as necessary.

When you meet ones that eagerly learn, ask questions and are truly appreciative of what you do, then give those the pack with all the goodies. Just my thoughts. If you find you like really helping them, join ARK and become a greeter.

maybe rolling a noob char, or have someone else do it, to spot real noobs in need of help would work.

i have a noob char that i periodically use to sit in the noob chat and answer noob questions.

Well, when I was a true newbie a month and a half ago, I didn't even know what "nano" was. I even had my husband holding my hand when I started. There was so much to learn that I was totally overwelmed. I don't think I knew about how NCU works until I was lvl 10 or something and as to implants...maybe after lvl 20. By then, 200x belts and 16-32 NCUs were dropping in missions...I remember trying to find any armor to put on though.

Then a newbie friend of mine joined me, who has played EQ and DAoC with me, and asked me the on first day: What is "Nano"? Then the second day: Do I look better in white or black coat? Then the third day: Where can I find those cool sunglasses you are wearing? As to the 100X belt I gave him the first day, I am not even sure he appreciated it or was even wearing it. The fact was: As an MA, he was soloing reds naked for many levels. So performance is usually not their foremost concern.

What's the lesson?

The lesson is: If you really want to help with true newbies, try giving out pieces of QL 1-5 armor. Don't go higher because they might have too high requirements to wear. Oh and give out coats, tatoos, omni suits, sunglasses, etc. I am sure you will soon be the newbie goddess in no time.

Your intention is great. Don't give up!
    Janella "Zindi" Catt
    Trader, Rubi-Ka 2

Well I'm a true NOOB, so if anyone would care to drop me a line so I can ask some question that would be great. The implants are a real question for me.

Quick question: I tried to raise the basic leves of my soldier I couldn't spend any more IP on that item. It came up You have reached the max for this title. Does this mean that this is all I can spend on my soldier and have to upgrade via implants alone now on those items?

-UConn <---- The neewb on the 7 day trail, but I am thinking of sticking around for a while.

I'm a newbie myself

I think i saw you that day,
    the main reason i have no trust in other people is because of the MMORPG's i have played b4. In every game it was always the same. People ripped you off... I only trust people that i have delt with before. This is for me the main reason. It's not that i don't trust you, but in many many other games the thieves and cons rule and break down the game...

Wish you came across me...

I have been playing AO for a week now and I love it, aside from the Crash nights when for some reason i crash every other hour.

A couple of times I have ran across people willing to help newbies, when I know enough and I am rich enough I plan on helping out newbies as well, especially those in my profession.

Anyways I wish i would have been there to recieve your generous gifts, you would have had my friendship for life. It was good work and I am sure those few who did take advantege of your offers appreciated it.

You do have to understand though for newbies it is a new and scary place and oft times they do not knopw who to trust.

Amazingly most everyone I have met in the nuetral zone has been very nice.

Ryan "Stonefaced" Lene
    Level : 11
    Dimension : 2
    Breed : Solitus
    Faction : Neutral
    Profession : Soldier

Wish I could find it

I actually went wandering around looking for BY1 for an hour that day, unsuccessfully. After reading this, I wish I had been more exhaustive in my search since I would have really appreciated your noob pack.

As to why I think your quest was so difficult, I can give you my perspective on it, since I was lvl 1 just a couple weeks ago. Below lvl4, I had no idea what most of the stuff in your goodie bag was useful for. I was having trouble enough figuring out how to attack, heal myself while in combat, operate the vending machines, understand the chat system, etc.

Perhaps you can /list the BY when you get there to see if its got some lvl3-6 characters who might understand and appreciate the goodies. If not, you might have to be more instructive in the basic functions or they might not even be able to reply to you!

d3 `-{>

http://www.anarchy-online.com/charac.../d/2/name/aygi

noob day

next time you have one.. i would like to help you with it.

when i started my alt.. i think it was you that was hiding stuff by trees and stuff for the noobs... of course i didnt take, since others need it more then i did... i thought it was a good idea

but if you ever do a noob day again, i would like to help.

send me a /tell to cptnmorgan

Unfortunately, I find the same thing. I try to go to the newbie zone at least two times a week. I shout an offer to convert monster parts for free and explain in the macroed shout that the resulting blood plasma is worth 10-12X as many credits as the monster parts. I kill every mob that comes near me and distribute the converted monster parts to whoever is there. I walk around healing and buffing, and usually get no more than two or three people who want their parts converted.

No matter what I do, new players just seem to assume that I want to take advantage of them. They ask how they know that I will give them the plasma back (at 65 credits a pop is hard to see how that is tempting). They ask if they have to join my guild. They want to know what I get out of it (a whopping 5 exp per conversion). What is up with this? I think only 2nd character twinks are using the service.

What do you do about this? I was able to afford armor early only because someone came and converted monster parts when I was a newbie. I would like to do the same for otheres. Am I just wasting my time?

Loo

Originally posted by Loolie
    No matter what I do, new players just seem to assume that I want to take advantage of them. They ask how they know that I will give them the plasma back (at 65 credits a pop is hard to see how that is tempting). They ask if they have to join my guild. They want to know what I get out of it (a whopping 5 exp per conversion). What is up with this? I think only 2nd character twinks are using the service.
    I think you should just be specific when answering these questions like telling them how much money you have so they will realize that 65 credits is really nothing to you. That the reason you are doing it is because you remember how difficult it was starting out and you want them to have fun. Tell them that if you rip them off they can /petition an official to complain to. Tell them to "go ask playerX (who is another n00b that you just did parts for) if I ripped him off".

Also you could try a different tactic: /shout "Did you know monster parts can be converted to blood plasma and sold for 5x the price?" When someone asks how, you say you can do it for them.

If they are still stuck at the "how will I know you won't rip me off" problem. Ask them to check with the vending machine to see how much monster parts are worth. Then buy the parts off them for the same price. After you convert them, sell the parts back to them for the same price and tell them to check the machine for the value of the blood plasma. I'd be willing to bet that they are thrilled at this point and run out to get more monster parts. The next time they come back for conversion, I'm sure they will trust you. This procedure also has the benefit of teaching them how to buy and sell stuff.

Just a couple of ideas. BTW Asal, I'd be willing to help out if you gave me one of your backpacks. =)

d3 `-{>

I'm also real big on helping peeps out... another approach to try is to just disseminate information. Info is perhaps more valuable to new players than anything else. Going into the backyards and just spending a chunka time talking with the newbies is often more valuable to them than lil low level gifts.
    Yehezkel

180+ Rockin' Adventurer
    Jester's Vengeance
    RK2

Soon to be in possession of majestic powers that no other profession will rival...

just play uo and you would see why.

anyone from uo would never trust anyone. In uo everything someone sends you is a trojan, or is a way to scam you.

but then three monster parts come on thts soo easy to come by.

Summerbreeze 200 Fixer
    Enginemaker 203 Engineer (Retired cause new bots SUCK!)
    Vetgirl 177 Doctor Retired (See Why)
    Bigbunns 156 Enforcer (semi-retired.)
    Malams 150 Soldier
    Lumisolem 134 NT
    Hiddenfear 112 Agent
    OhNoNotHim 42 Martial Artist (BOW)

Levels: 1164
    Characters Nerfed To Oblivion: 3

"We see the light at the end of the tunnel and indeed it is a train, of mobs, that just mowed our crappy 201+ bots down and are comming for us."