Thread: OT PR stunts or Clan screw-up?

Exclamation OT PR stunts or Clan screw-up?

There has been much discussion between the clans about whether we acted wrong by retaliating after Radiman's supposed death a few days ago. Some people have suggested that it was just a conspiracy by Omni-Tek to make it look like they saved our leader, and we attack them in return.
    Others believe that they actually saved Radiman, but this is all beside the point. Whether or not the assasination attempt was planned By Omni-Tek, the point is that they exploited the situation to get good PR, and once again make us look like terrorists. They knew we would retaliate if we thought Radiman had been killed, and so they led us to believe just that, making us look like fools once again when they revealed that he was safe, and in fact had even been saved by Omni-Pol. They baited us, and we fell for it.

Now, if they are really such nice people, going around saving our leaders and offering all of us amnesty, why did they not inform us immediately after the "assasination", that Radiman was alive? Not only would they have improved the relations between our two factions, they would also have avoided an assault on their own town! This seems to me like incredible disrespect, both for us as clanners, for their own civilians who died when we retaliated, and for the peace they supposedly wants. Our assault could have been avoided if a single Omni-Tek official had cared to enter the OT-trading channel we all have anyway, thanks to their own amnesty, and broadcasting a single short message! The fact that they did not, but instead held a press-conference, again without actually informing us about it, shows how much they care for us, for peace, and for their own civilians, who were sacrificed in this media stunt!

And once again, they baited us. They made us believe that we screwed up again by attacking, to make us worry about this, instead of realizing that Omni-Tek actually provoked this attack by not letting us know that our leader was safe. And once again we fell for it. Yesterday clan leaders spent the whole day discussing whether or not we should have attacked, but it seemed right at the time. They had killed our leader, so of course we attacked. They would do the same if Boss Ross was killed.

Once again we missed the point entirely! Omni-Tek employees attempted to kill Radiman, and their leaders sacrificed their own employees' lifes by making us attack them! Those are the important facts here. They show exactly how much Omni-Tek care.

The fact remains that we should not have attacked, but that was hardly unexpected, and it is by far overshadowed by Omni-Tek's behaviour during this.

Until very recently, I actually believed that at least a few of the Omni-Tek bosses actually wanted peace. Now I am not so sure any more.

As you no doubt are aware of, there was a rumor, about the dismise of Mr Radiman that sat of this whole thing. If any claners acctually had bothered to control facts, before attacking, this whole situation had not arose.

While the rumor about Mr Radimans death, very soon made the clans to attack, the rumor of Mr Radiman still being alive did not have the opposite effect. Now, why is that you figure?

And both these rumors spread across Rubi-Ka in the matter of an hour, then the press conferance was held where fact was stated, and message was sent to proper authorities among the clans.

Now, why the fact never had such power to travel around Rubi-Ka, as the rumors had, one can only speculate in.

My question is, how it can be, that while the clans quickly spread the rumors about war, neither the rumor about peace, nor the fact, that suported peace, was spread even half as fast?
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

I'm not saying the clans acted very sensibly in attacking, but if OT really wanted to avoid our retaliation attack, they could easily have sent a message to ALL clanners in 5 seconds. They didn't. At least I didn't see it...

Now, the facts were presented to the highest, and most initiated among you claners, but it seems to me that the highest leaders among you, did not do a very good job of passing this information down to the grasroots...

And you can not honestly belive that it should be OmniTeks responsibility to find every singel claners frekvens on theire comlinks, just to tell them that Radiman is not dead.

If anyone should have ventured to do that major task, it should have been the clanleaders. Mr Radiman has to have some other at his side?

And finaly... I seriously doubt that Comlink message would have been accpeted among your friends in the attack...

"Good evening, this is OmniTek! We only wanted to tell you, that it is no reson to continue your attack on our property, since your leader, in spite of the rumors you might have heard, is NOT dead...So it is ok for you to stop this attack.."

I fear your friends would not have paied as much attention to such a message...
    Father Chagidiel

Ok, neutral perspective sitting on the side lines and watching both your sides clobber the crap outta each other

Did the clanner overreact....totally.

Are OT using this as some kind of PR trick...definatly, as we all know if OT are allowed to use any force they can when the ICC lifts restriction on them the clans are gonna get flattened (in the short term anyhow).

But come on, it was expected totally what the clan's would do this. Heck the clans were played beautifully like a puppet. We all know there are too many hot head clan leaders out there with too much power at the moment, and the actions of over reacting has just gone to show the entire galaxy who they are, and until the clans can actually get some kind of command in place to actually control these hot heads, they are destined to get there asses pounded back to Sparta. I unified clan force is one which could challenge the Omni's, but the total mess which currently exists will only give Omni what they want. Rubi-Ka totally under control of the corporation. The choice is simple enough, its just a shame the people making the decisions in the clans are even more simple :P
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Since you are a neutral to this conflict and problems, I can see why you have been missinformed. It has to be quite litterally a djungel of information, and false information out there...

Now, I would love, trying to help you sort all this information out, and would be happy to meet you at my church. Shall I set a time for you and I to meet tomorrow?

You will be finding my church right next to Omni-Reform....
    Father Chagidiel

For the record, the emergency press conference held in Omni HQ after the "assassination" had no clan members present. After we were killed at the last HQ press conference, we are quite wary to return there while criminal organizations like Dark Carnival are free to do as they will. For this reason, the clans thought Radiman had actually been killed for quite a long time after the decoy story was announced to the Omni.

I was lucky enough to receive information from a number of Omni sources, including Sandfield, reporter for the Rubi-Ka Times, and Derva, spokeswoman for Omni, who told me the entire decoy story and even that Aberic was the immediate suspect. I relayed this info to the Clan Leaders immediately...and was ignored. I sent who I could to all the major gatherings of clan people they could find to spread the information. But even after the press conference by Gelsa, it was obvious people only wanted to fight, and so fight they did. On the one hand, I can understand why they felt the need to physically retaliate. They also had no reason to believe information fed to us only by the Omni, and the Omni refused to let anyone on the clan side speak to Radiman directly. Ultimately, the biggest clan mistake was the horrible PR spin we let the whole ordeal take. I'm fairly convinced that reporter Mayhoon is on the Omni payroll, and he hardly helped to show our true intentions in the resulting attacks, instead he just helped Omni portray us as a group of bloodthirsty idiots.

As for what I felt our true intentions were, I'll link my summary of the events of that night.

http://aoforums.funcom.com/showthread.php?threadid=2295
    Last edited by Luxxan; Dec 2nd, 2001 at 21:38:44.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth