Thread: Dozens Dead as J.A.M.E. Demo Goes Awry

Dozens Dead as J.A.M.E. Demo Goes Awry

Dozens Dead as J.A.M.E. Demo Goes Awry
    Perrine

North Elysium -- (FJRK) -- February 7, The gathering in Elysium was to be a demonstration of J.A.M.E.'s proposed front-line defense for Newland City. The day ended with carnage, destruction, and distrust.

Councilor Byttri from the Newland Council along with over 30 mixed-faction Rubi-Kans were sheltered under a defensive canopy for the demonstration of both a new weapon and defensive armor. Archaic War Droids paced back and forth 100 meters beyond, with a half-dozen J.A.M.E. instructors arrayed between the droids and the gathered crowd.

Representative Cygwin, of J.A.M.E., introduced the instructor's weaponry as the JAME Blaster Prototype IV, describing it as "offer[ing] an excellent fire rate, large clip size and general stability." With an order from Cygwin, the instructors opened fire on the war droids, producing an amazingly consistent high damage output. Inexplicably, one of the droids turned on the audience and began firing. As everyone dove for cover, Cygwin ordered the instructors to "take out" the attacking drones, and then charged them to "examine the area, check for tampering."

Alleged evidence of a seal being broken was shown to Cygwin, while the crowd buzzed in reaction. "How amusing how a group with seemingly godly technology cannot seem to keep their own demonstrations under control..." pondered Wayne Whaynn Harbinguer, of Rompa Entertainment. As the audience dusted off their clothing, Cygwin brushed off the incident with a slight apology and attempted to return the attention to his instructors.

"The new Non-partisan armor presents a unique way to deflect Armor piercing rounds. It provides Excellent protection against even the JAME Blaster. Light weight, and non restrictive, this armor provides a safe and mobile advantage over your attacker," said Cygwin. He then ordered the instructors to attack one of their own, in demonstration of the armor's effectiveness. A hush fell over the crowd as they watched Instructor Eliysia withstand a fierce barrage of fire.

"That armor will put doctors out of business", murmured Elicia Lillemjau Washko, Veteran doctor of the Assembly. Others suggested the display was only possible through deceptive means. Maulgore of Midnight Rayne proclaimed "I'd like to see the rounds they are using, probably blanks to promote their technology."

Councilor Byttri, perhaps questioning the success of the armor himself, then suggested the audience be able to test their own weapons against the new armor. Anyone who was still armed was allowed to do so. The results sent waves of concern through the crowd. Agent Cathern Vixentrox Flowers, President of Whisper's Edge (EG) feared for the possibilities. "If armor that powerful was allowed to fall into either the Clan or Omni hands, it would completely destroy the balance of power," she said.

Soon the crowd was engulfed in confusion again, as more war droids opened fire without warning. J.A.M.E. instructors and bystanders alike attacked the machines, saving anyone from senseless death. As questions, curses, and accusations were tossed back and forth between individual attendees and the JAME staff, a rumbling sound was heard accompanied by a tremendous shaking of the ground beneath our feet. Suddenly all view of the area was blocked by massive rocks...giant Chaotic Hecklers attacked anything and everything in sight, dropping even the most experienced soldiers in single blows.

Only for the luck of a well placed canopy support pillar did this reporter and Councilor Byttri survive the onslaught, the hecklers finally put down by the JAME staff. Instructor Domian reported his account of events to Cygwin and Byttri, saying "Sir, Just as I heard the rumble, I observed several Mercs in dark armor, training the Hecklers towards us."

Upon hearing this Cygwin turned his attention immediately to some sort of communication device he was carrying, then exclaimed "I have received a report from our security systems that Loren Warr has been transporting hecklers to this region of the Shadowlands. All remaining citizens please follow me to the portal, hastily!"

Grumbling with su****ion and doubt, the ragtag survivors did turn for the portal, and the relative safety of Jobe. Warr's involvement in the attack of such powerful creatures otherwise unseen in Elysium has yet to be verified, the investigation on all sides continues today.

Oh dear....

To all my knowledge(wich is limited) I thought testing and showing the strenght of new weapons and armors like these were supposed to be done in SAFE environments. Atleast, and I press this, under controlled forms.I think its beyond naive to think a location in Shadowlands would be safe. I cant help but laugh at this sorry excuse for a demonstration. Next time why dont you just invite anyone who might wanna sabotage you. And maybe it would be even more fun if you placed it in Adonis or Pandemonium.

We the citizens of Rubi Ka cannot tolerate this kind of incompetence from the people set to provide Newland, our most important city, with the means to protect themselfs.

Shape up, or get out!!
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

I attended the JAME demo outside Port Seven, and found the JAME equipment very interesting, especially as the instructors were kind enough to show it to us in considerable detail.

Unlike the Mark IV and Mark XII blasters commonly available in the shadowlands with 175-450 attack, these models for the Newland Militia were QL140s with 300-300 radiation attacks. In target practice against the wardroids, they routinely did 900 damage, bursts doing 2700. However, my trusty QL200 X-3 was averaging higher because, as an agent, even without buffs and perks, I periodically achieve critical hits. The JAME instructors never once scored a critical hit, and frankly admitted they didn't expect any from the weapon.

The armor was equally interesting. If I remember correctly, the breastplate was QL140 with AC600 in all categories, which is nothing to write home about. However, when people observed attacks on the instructors, it appeared the full suit was providing as much as 1500hp regeneration per tick. This is vastly stronger than the best fixer HoT, and explains how the instructors were able to withstand the monster Heckler attack that ended the demonstration. Whether this regeneration was actually built into the armor, or was a special defensive aid purely for the demonstration, remains unclear to me.

This is the equipment now outfitting the Newland Militia Guards. I do not know if any violently inclined Omnis or Clanners have seen fit to test it yet, but if a sufficiently powerful force were to test it, I would expect that the guards would be very hard to kill, but in turn would have difficulty downing a superbly outfitted and coordinated combat team of Rubi-Ka residents. In short, the guards can stay alive, but they lack sufficient firepower to stop strongmen with violent intent on others, just as they were unable to protect the demonstration viewers from the monster Hecklers.

Should this occur, the fitness and training of the militia might be called into question. Mr. Ross might make good his offer to guard Newland with his personal bodyguards until the city's militia is able to function effectively. I think we all know what that would mean.

- Betji
    still a freelance Atlantean agent (but for how long?)

I would like to point out a couple of things in response to Betji's observations.

1) The JAME Blaster is not commonly available. In fact, all JAME Blasters that can be found in the Shadowlands are suspected to have either:
    a)Been stolen from one of the supply depots in Nascence.
    b)Copies based on the JAME Blaster blueprints.

So in actuality, the JAME Blaster is a quite hard to acquire item. And lastly, there are rumors of Prototype VII's, but none as of yet have been located.

2) Up until recently, all JAME Blasters had a recorded damage rating of 300-300. I believe that, in light of the recent disaster, modifications were made to the prototypes, and the end result was an adjustment to the damage rating so that it is now 175-450.
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.