Thread: The Little Red Peacekeepers that Couldn't

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

The Little Red Peacekeepers that Couldn't

The Little Red Peacekeepers that Couldn't.
    Mister Farfin Zix

Mister Farfin Zix continues his Opinion-Editorial investigations into a 'Break Down of Law and Order' and finds the ICC to be guilty despite uncommon honesty.

In my previous article I discussed information gathered from an Omni-Pol Sub-Department officer Lomad Hawke who arrested a clan entertainer recently at Reets Retreat.

The ICC Protectorate in Andromeda quickly responded to my request for information, and put me in contact with Lieutenant Colonel Harry 'Pancer' Calahan of the 362nd ICC Peacekeeper Regiment - Ganimede III. He met with me at Reets Retreat in Stret West Bank for what was a surprisingly candid, and damning, conversation.

Lt. Colonel 'Pancer' (Ganimedian for 'Tank') Calahan is the Commander of a Regiment of Peacekeeper forces responsible for Stret West Bank among other locals.

The following are excerpts from our conversation, as well as commentary.

We quickly established the history of the event before proceeding with my questions.
    Farfin: "Recently a well known Clan DJ for Gridstream Productions, was arrested by an Omni-Pol Corporal at Reets Retreat. The officer claimed that his sub-department had received proper authorizations from the ICC Protectorate to make the arrest on Neutral property. What was interesting to note is the origin of the warrant itself. It originated with Omni Communications, not a law enforcement agency. Perhaps you could shed some light there for me?"

Pancer: "Officially we're peacekeepers. We don't interfere and are bound by ICC charter to aid any legal activity to apprehend known culprits and other such activities to the best of our abilities. ...we're here with the approval of both sides....officially. What that comes down to is if they go in it takes two weeks for the chain of command to shoot a message up and down the line before I can say shame on you OMNI!"

F:"Surely there is SOMEONE at the bases level a government would contact initially for approval to venture into your territory on a mission of that nature?"

P:"And risk making the wrong decision? Notum's too pricey for that."

F:"You don't expect me to believe you just let anyone waltz in and do as they please do you?"

P:"Oh, they can't officially. That doesn't mean they don't."

F:"The officer I spoke with said that they have a procedure whereby they contact an ICC "Officer of the Watch" before venturing here to make arrests. Is this false information, or is there such a person in the ICC here?"

P:"That's the correct procedure, yes."

F:"Does this Watch Officer of yours verify any evidence or... the PRESENCE of evidence attached to a warrant before authorizing the arrest?"

P:"Officially, yes."

F:"In reality?"

P:"Credits move hands, people can't be bothered, a fireplace and a chair are preferable to a windy spot on an Operation. But chances are good they checked. Do not forget, Mr. Zix... my boys are soldiers, not cops. They think a hot meal is preferable over some idiot shouting phrases they really couldn't care two credits about."

F:"Do you often see warrants issued from Omni Departments that have nothing to do with law enforcement? Such as Omni-Med or Omni-Com?"

P:"Rarely...Far as I know they do not even have any prosecuting powers."

F:"Do you verify claims of non Omni-Pol warrants before issuing permission to make arrests?"

At his point he smiled broadly and shifted his cigar around.

P:"Officially? Yes."

Naturally I was starting to become rather agitated with 'Official' answers when the very reality of the situation was clear as a Silvertail’s horn.

F:"You yourself said your soldiers are ... for all intents and purposes... ignoring or marginalizing, the peace keeping aspect of their duty. Wouldn't it be easier to KEEP peace by following proper protocols where issues such as allowing foreign militia into your territory to make arrests are concerned?"

P:"Probably. Understand though that most people mix up things like peace keeping and peace enforcing. We're peace keepers...not peace enforcers. This means we only intervene when we're allowed to and, I can tell you, that isn't too often. My dear sir, in the real world what sounds nice on paper never works out that way."

F:"Is there any reason you're telling me all of this so plainly?"

P:"Simple....because you and I both know this happens and you and I know we can't do a thing about it...Why play charades?"

F:"Very well. That's all I have for now Colonel. Thank you for meeting with me."
    As you can see, while protocol does in fact exist to 'properly' handle these issues, they are NOT being handled. Also of interest is the Colonel's remark about non-law enforcement Departments not having prosecuting authority, yet so far we've been told that Omni-Com issued the warrant.

While this conversation shows without a doubt that the ICC has NOT been properly fulfilling it's role as a governing protectorate of neutral citizens, it does not completely absolve the Omni-Pol sub-department involved... yet. My next stop is Omni-1 where I have an appointment with Venden Hownzung, Omni-Com Senior VP of Communications Security.

But, of the ICC Protectorate... I find them on five counts of Gross Laziness, two counts of inexcusable ignorance and seven counts of bureaucratic bottlenecking... Guilty in the Court of Common Sense!
    Last edited by Editor: IRRK; Jan 31st, 2004 at 22:21:27.

Dr. Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu:

Just as I figured.

At this point, does anyone really give, as said, 2 credits, about the ICC or its "mission" here? The Clans and Omnis fight openly anyhow, and the main organization anyone cares about these days is JAME. Obviously, the ICC is not handling the job it said it would - the wars over the notum towers, the invasions of Newland City and Tir - everything points to the ICC needing to be gone from this planet.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Deep within their underground Headquarters, an orderly enters his General's office and hands the IRRK News flash to the General.
    As the General is reading the news flash he starts to bite down hard on the the expensive cigar in his mouth, until it snaps in two. He jumps out of his chair and yells "Damn It, If the ICC is going to sit around on it's rearend all the time, saying they can't do this and they can't do that about the Omin scum beacuse we are peacekeepers not enforcer, maybe we should start to take matter in our own hands."

"Orderly, summons the Battle Commanders we got some planning to do here and while your at it, have that guy over in supply send over some more cigars."

As the Orderly leaves the room, the general walks over to the large map of Rubi-ka hanging on the wall. He thinks for a little bit and then points to a spot on the map and sofly saids "Yes, Yes, that should do the trick".
    Last edited by Graf; Jan 31st, 2004 at 23:21:48.

Remember, as far as OT is concerned, neutral ground is their ground and neutrals are treated employees. Thus, Reet's is OT property and subject to their control. Yeah, they may pretend to go through ICC to do things there, but it's mostly a smokescreen. I'd bet a leet p!ss that given an excuse, the Omni's would just ride on in to Last Ditch like some ancient Earth cowboys. That's exactly what happened here with Otori.

We can talk all day long about procedure , but it really comes down to respecting neutral ground. Omni-Tek has made it clear that they feel there is no such thing. It is company policy, and to them the pretense of neutrality is one that can be cast aside on when the bottom line dictates. The ICC is merely a bureaucratic distraction.

GSP is a Clan organization, and as such the Clans should be taking every measure to protect their staff during events. This means enforcing our laws, not Omni's, when they are hosting events on neutral territory. The arrest of a Clan member on neutral territory should not be within the power of Omni-Tek, plain and simple. Hopefully, if the rumors of expansion are true, the Clans will be able to provide a safe haven for GSP to operate from where all people are welcome, except for those who would attempt to force the will of Omni-Tek on those who are no longer a part of that company.
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer
    Dual Resident of Borealis/Jobe

The Choice