Thread: Blood and steel

Blood and steel

The woman stumbled out of the beam of light, trying desparately to maintain her balance. She took one uneasy step sideways and her hand found purchase on the post of an electrified fence, creating a small pen around the area she had materialized in. With he free arm, she wiped cold sweat from her forehead, streaking her forearm wet. She turned slightly, dropped to her knees, vision blurring, and vomited in the grass next to the violently glowing fence. She stood up slowly, using the post for guidance and looked around.

As her vision cleared she noticed a large Atrox standing over top of her. He was decked out in the traditional Omni-Pol black armor. He held out a steady hand to her. "Need a hand miss?" he asked cordially.

She tried to compose herself a bit, failed miserably, and took his arm. She quickly gained her feet with his assistance and was looking directly at a small foil rectangle. She looked up at him questioningly. "Nano enhanced chewing gum," the guard said, answering her unasked question. "I had a doctor friend of mine put it together for me. Freshens breath, relieves nausea and even whitens your teeth."

She took the piece of gum from his hand and unwrapped it, chewing almost thoughtfully on it. The guard looked down at her, his face hidden behind the black mask and red visor. "Just don't swallow it," the guard warned, sounding a bit concerned. "Doesn't react too well with the stomach acids or something like that." He stood up to his full height. "Not sure what the details are, but Doctors orders are Doctors orders. Do you need any help?"

Rozella smiled slightly, the gum indeed helping her adjust. "No, thank you I'm fine. I just need some time to adjust---" she trailed off as she looked over at the bulletin boards across the small yard. "What year is it?"

"Excuse me?"

"The year, tell me what year it is."

Almost robotically, the guard recited the date to her, down to the exact minute. Her vision swam again and she flopped to the ground in a somewhat seated position, her legs failing to sustain her. The guard removed his helmet and kneeled down next to her, his large brow furrowed. "Are you all right ma'am?"

"Two years..." she murmured to herself.

"What?" the guard was honestly perplexed now. He was used to 'respawn sickness' from recruits dying in the training fields, but this was something entirely foreign to his experience.

"I've lost two years," she replied absently, standing up once more. "I need to run diagnostic..." she looked up at him, as if suddenly realizing he was still there. She smiled, "Thank you very much for your help, I just need to get readjusted. It's been a very long time."

She left him standing there looking perplexed and wandered off into the Omni-Tek Training Grounds. Almost absently she pressed her fingers to her temple. "Level 3 diagnostic, run complete system scan."

There was no response. Quickly she began to inventory her belongings. A nanocrystal, a solar powered pistol, a map upload, a blank token board, the shell of an android, and an Omni-Tek shirt. She frowned, greatly disappointed with her findings. "So, back to square one then," she said to nobody in particular.

She pulled an ID badge out of her pocket. Rozella 'Vaniity' Bichrest. She sighed heavily and returned it. "It was Caitlin you bastards," she whispered under her breath.

She activated the droid and set about making some modifications to it. She cursed under her breath as some of the modifications she wanted to make were not possible on such a basic model. Also, she was missing her usual tools. Probably lost, along with her DNA print. Which is why she now occupied this form. Form... Quickly she stopped working on the android and walked over to the nearby stream. She turned slightly each way, checking her reflection over. At least they got her body right. She went back to her droid, muttering under her breath about the 'failsafe' reclaim system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Hi everybody. After nearly a year hiatus I have returned to Anarchy Online. Since everything is so different now, I decided to start my characters over again so that I can get a feel for the whole thing again, rather than jumping in as a clueless higher level character. So anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and I hope to see some of you in-game. Vaniity is currently level 11, but if things go near as well as last night, that should change rather quickly. Anyway, Hi!
    Last edited by Dragunfyre; Jan 29th, 2004 at 17:45:18.

((Welcome back, and nice return story too...looking forward to more like it))
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer
    Dual Resident of Borealis/Jobe

The Choice

((Nice story, yes! Welcome back, I hope you have fun again in here ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Vaniity finished tightening one of the screws in the droid's control center, then shut the head compartment. The droid whirred to life, clicking and beeping, then suddenly it began to cycle down. She gave it a swift kick at the joint where the legs met the torso and it immediately jumped back to life. "My kingdom for a Gladiatorbot," she muttered darkly.
    She wiped off the screwdriver with an old rag and slipped it into her pack. She surveyed the tools within and smiled, almost absently. All of the newest tech of the 31st Century available to her and still she couldn't let go of a manual screwdriver. The one currently in her bag had been purchased from a store, but it was reminiscent of the one her father had given her long ago. Same green handle as before; she had even used a knife she had found on a mugger to carve grooves into the handle for easier grip with grease-covered hands.
    Her musing distracted her to the point that she did not notice the enormous figure looming behind her from out of the water of the Omni-Tek training field. In the lower left field of her vision, the optical readout that had been implanted into her eye printed out a warning.
    Attacked by Heirophant Zilphar the Murkdweller.
    The thing roared as it reared up behind her. She closed her eyes and waited for the soothing light of a reclaim beam. But no light ever came. Cautiously she opened one eye when suddenly she heard a muted squeal from behind her. She was about to turn around when an enormous, vaguely fish-like form toppled to the ground next to her. She jumped slightly as it fell.
    She turned quickly, wondering what had just happened and saw a small Opifex woman standing behind her. Vaniity nodded slightly, "Thank you."
    The woman spun a pair of dirks in her hands and slid them into sheaths near her hips. She folded her arms in front of her and looked Vaniity over appraisingly. "Be more careful next time. Bosses don't take it easy on anyone."
    "Bosses....?"
    The Opifex sighed, "Fresh off the shuttle?"
    "Something like that."
    "Stay out of the marsh area of the swamplands if you don't feel like visiting the reclaim terminal. The self-appointed 'Boss' of the area resides there. Fiercely territorial they are. All they care about is power. Within a little while there will be another one out there calling himself king."
    Suddenly, her optical readout sprang to life again.
    Dangerbot attacking leet.
    "Now he protects me," Vaniity mused, smiling.
    The droid made short work of the critter and immediately a message appeared in her field of vision, piped in from Omni-Corps to her neural link. She read it carefully before dismissing it. "Abandoned subway..." she mused.
    The Opifex smiled at her. "Ah, got the message did you? Perhaps you should come with me then. I'm headed to the same place."
    Vaniity shrugged slightly and gave Dangerbot a command to follow them. It just stood there. She produced one of her Electroniums and took a pot-shot at it that ricocheted off of its head. The droid whirred to life immediately.
    Follow command received. Following.
    Vaniity shook her head. The Opifex laughed. "My name is Saibelle."
    "Vaniity. It's a pleasure."
    "Mmmm," she smiled, "I think we should stop by the shop and outfit you with a new droid."
    "I get the feeling you're right."
    They walked off toward the exit from holoworld, Dangerbot lurching along behind them, twitching slightly with each step.