Thread: NEW Story Background site - see what you think

Talking NEW Story Background site - see what you think

Ok, this is something I've been playing with just for the fun of it after I saw a great Star Wars 'mockumenary' into the Battle of Hoth . . .so I thought about doing a simialr thing for events in Rubi Kas past.

I went right back to the timeline and picked an old event -so that I couldn't be accused of interfering with the current storyline (or should that be lack of ). Anyways the site has its first chronicle up - the Tale of the Battle for Omni Two and the declaration of the new city of Athens in 29209.

See what you think . . .

http://www.geocities.com/rubikahs/AthensIndex.html

For now its on Geocities so sorry if its slow to load - although I tried to keep the images and maps down in size. If it proves popular I'll move it into my main site at Anarchy Zone

Let me know what you all think!!!

Silirrion

Webmaster Anarchy Zone
    http://oldwatchtower.homestead.com/AnarchyZone.html

cool

WOOT !!!

Nice site and a good idea, its funny I was just talking about getting players to add to the back ground story by coming up with ideas like this.

Oh just one question the battle was very detailed do you really make all that up or is it in the book. Not that is matters of course its just I have not read it yet and was wondering if theres any other background information in the book we can lift.

Kirrana
    http://omni-tek.tripod.com/

No, none of that is mentioned in PWH, I anted to pick an event that was just a couple of lines in the official time line so that I could let my imagination run riot a little.

I'd be more then happy for other to contribute! It obviously takes quite a bit of time to do these and I am busy with the Anarchy Zone site as well, I just did this because it was fun and might help build up a little more interaction with the History of Rubi Ka - The official tiem line mentions so much with small entries that there is great scope for players to expand on them and not 'get in the way' of the official storyline

Email me through my main site if you'd like to contribute a history story from the timeline.

Silirrion

Webmaster Anarchy Zone
    http://oldwatchtower.homestead.com/AnarchyZone.html

The only part or name I used from in game was the Clan Phoenix - If you speak to Red in Rising Sun he will mention them.

I used the name for that reason as the events in the story relate to what is now called Rising sun - hence the name I used for one of the other clans that are mentioned.

The named leader of the Phoenix Clan was also a tongue in cheek refernece to Red

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    I love it!

Actually, I've been kicking around a galactic encyclopedia idea similar to this. However, you've done far more than I have on this

One suggestion from all my days of pondering: Even though you're picking events from way back in the past, how about putting a little "FC" icon to denote anything that is official canon. That'll help people differentiate what's your imagination and what's unchangingly official.

Personally, as long as your imagination is working, I don't care if it's FC or not. But the one thing I learned here is that some people value that stamp quite fervently, and that would go a long way to acceptance by the community in general.

Additionally, if you do use the FC stamp, attach something like a bibliographical source listing so people can verify the information.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

For specific comments on the site:

I love the Diary of Events section with the troop movement diagrams. Oh, it's a stroke of genious! It really helps make it feel like I'm reading about history.

Now that we've got the gushing praise out of the way, I found the navigation system annoying. I got lost (i.e. I couldn't figure a way out without hitting home or the back button) when I went deep into the "Battle Of Omni Two". You probably just haven't gotten around to it yet, but the menu on the left needs to be activated. If you do expand on this concept, I think the navigation will become just as important as the content; especially considering that the content will be spread across multiple pages. Keep in mind that not everyone wants to read linearly from "First Rubi Ka Civil War" to "Historical Figures" and any way you can help us people with ADD would help imensely

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski

Thanks Tappert - Yes, I'll need to tidy things up a little Just wanted to gauge if people thought it was a good idea . . .

PLayer History

Player Made History/Background.

When I read about AO I fell in love with the idea of a story that the game would become like living inside a book. With a book the story is told often over a number of events, in which we learn more about the characters, what they feel, how they react, there strengh and weakness to. We also learn about the world we live and the start of the book is almost focused on background and the history so far, and bits of this history unfold over time to.

In AO we do have some history and a background in the form of a book, but as I understand it the book itself does not cover aspects in game. For example the races etc etc.

I was rather hoping in time FC would build up a background of info from the important history right through to the strange stories.

We do have a time line which helps a lot, but I would also like to see the twists and turns and read things I see in game.
    For example whos is Harry ?? Who owns the lush restort. Who made the Tir river so dirty etc.

I have spoken to FC about this and while its not there offical word they said they had no objections to just making up interesting background. Of course they did say that bare in mind FC might well change the details when they do it offically as part of the story. Also the background should at least be conistant with the current story. All of these points are vaild and i see no problem sticking to them.

So I thought about a player run background site, where we collect stories and background writen by the players.

Now you might wonder why this is any good to people well if you have ever GM or done player events oftten the hardest point is where to start, and starting from a blnk bit of paper is hard.

The background is a rich source which provides ideas, and might even spark of a few interesting debates.

There is the other issue that unless you read the website you might not know what the other person is talking about, but maybe thats not so bad as it give to a chance to re-tell part of history.

OH OH what a good idea for an event a re-telling of history erm maybe even do a play.

Well anyway I have missed the point oh yes Sillirrion has made a good start if we can collect more information from a few other sites and people may be its worth a shot.

Ideas for Background

Galway Man Who is he, how was the county cerated.
    Galway House Who lives in the house in galway some rich millionare !!! (sounds like a good kidnap event erm)
    The history of Reets,
    Tales from building the grid
    The ghosts of Omni-One Tower
    etc etc I could go on.

Well sillirrion, tappert and anyone else good idea or bad ????
    Last edited by Kirrana; May 1st, 2002 at 03:59:34.

I think there was a lot of fan-created background information during the old beta stage. There were a couple sites for instance that described such things as the historical warring towns of 4-holes, etc.

While a lot of that information may not have been "official", I have encountered it in my days of passing on Rubi-Ka. It's kinda become a defacto history. Mind you, there are gaps and not everyone has visited these old sites (which sadly are gathering dust right now - post beta).

I think Sillirrion's idea here can fill that niche very nicely. And frankly, I'm dismayed at the apparent lack of interest shown so far. Perhaps it's that mystical silent majority. Maybe people are too busy playing the game or participating in the latest pissing contest (*grins at Kirrana*) but some feedback would be nice - from someone other than Kirrana and myself.

Afterall, all Sillirrion is asking for is a gauge if people thought it was a good idea. Mind you, if it's bad, say why so he can improve upon it

Tap

P.S. Sorry, I felt like going on a crusade for audience participation.
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski

how did i miss this post?!?!

Anyway, its looking great. I like this idea. Filling in the gaps in the story our self, is somehting people will like :P

U just beat my to doing something like this my self though :P
    well, i got other stuff planned for my page

Anyway, it will be hard to get as much stuff to cover 25k of histroy
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

I'm going to be moving these within the confines of the main Anarchy zone site - my bandwidth should manage (I hope)

It'll allow me to tidy it up more and make it easier to navigate.

Want to finsih mapping all the zones first for the help guides (as thats the main reason people visit my site) - but once thats done there'll be more time for expanding on this