Thread: Possibly the end of AOMD

Possibly the end of AOMD

Here are some excerpts from a conversation on the Test server bugs forum.

FC programmer: 24th April
    "We will be testing new network code on the Test Server later today. The goal is to reduce network traffic, which will help people on low bandwith connections when they get into areas with lots of traffic who encounter a lot of packet loss. You will not need a new client, since the code for this is already in the 14.1 (aka 14.07) client, we're simply turning it on now.
    Naturally, if you are using some third-party tool, you might encounter problems after this change."

AO Player:
    "AOMD not working is probably because of the new network code, above. Perhaps they're now compressing the packets or something."

FC programmer:
    "Yes, the data is now compressed. It cuts down the traffic by a factor of 3 to 4, and the extra cost in CPU seems to be negligible - I did some testing under simulated high load here, can't tell a real difference. So that's good."

So unless the new AOMD cabal can work out the compression format (which will be pretty tough unless its RLE or something easy), then I suspect this will be the end of AOMD.

Hmm

I like Aomd but if we couldn't use it anymore i wouldn't be devistated.

Many of the missions i want are just to get xp and a token. Only every now and then do i want something specific that it saves me time on.

But i do hope we all can continue to use it...

Ditto

I haven't used AOMD for some time now... since they allowed resized infowindows. However, I'll wager someone cracks it so AOMD will work again.

RE: AOMD

Then Funcom should make it easier to select missions.
    I don't wan't to get carpal tunnel syndrome finding a new pair of boots.
    In this instance Funcom should buy AOMD from the author and incorporate it into the game.
    I work on computers all day long and if I can't risk hurting my wrists by constantly moving and clicking for missions. If anyone has a way to select missions without AOMD and wrist trauma, let us know.

Post Missions Filters

Myabe FunCom should create some kind of a new option for the mission terminals? the New settings can include the old slider bars, but added to them are:

A. Mission Area : Please select which area you would like your mission to take place ( i.e. Clon****, Omni-1 Ent, 4-Holes )

B. Mission Reward : Please select which type of items you wish to recieve as a reward (i.e. Armor, Weapon, Nano Crystal )

C. Mission Travel Distance : Please select how far you wish to travel in order to get to your mission ( 250 units, 500 units .....)

Thats all I can think of for the filter system that I always dreamed of. To compensate for it, the missions can cost more. ( For example, a normal level 50 guy sets his settings and then clicks on "Request Mission" button, and then 50 creds are used in order to get the missions. For the Filtered missions, the cost can be 500, or even 5000, it doesnt really matter as long as the 20 minutes is not wasted camping the terminals like crazy and the endless scrolling + the mouse lag)

Wouldn't that be great? Ofcourse, the items are not specified, because if they were then they would be too easy to get, and therefore ruining the economy. But still, there are enough armor types and weapon types that it wont ruin the gameplay.

Time = Money

We are paying FC just to play this game on a monthly basis, so that we may have some fun so:

Money = Fun ( Not all the time )

So then, if we are paying FC money, and we are spending our time, then wat does it measn?

Money(Money) = Fun (?)

Yet, where is our fun? Over lvl 80 most ppl are forced to do missions because of the lack of content past level 80. When we are paying so much, we expect to get so much.

I dont hate FC, i just want Mission Filters..........

or even just a "use last settings" or "re-get missions" button so the sliders don't have to be moved every single time?

Thumbs up

Yes to that - I get soooo bored moving those sliders every damn time. Or it could let you select more than one mission without exiting the terminal and starting again.

No need to buy AOMD...

FC is sitting on all the info and have the needed libraries...

It would be far easier for to make something similar with what they already have.

Besides... AOMD is open source.

At least the older versions

I see no logical reason why they make shopping/mission finding so quirky...so the reason must be philosophical

"We must give them SOMETHING to do..."
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

I would rather see me actually GET the mission when I click on "accept mission"

and yeah, resizable windows helps

Found a trick to reselect missions if none of the five missions are what you want.

All you have to do is move one of the sliders (not the difficulty one) and then move it back and the request mission button will re-light and you can get 5 new choices.
    Bubbacub
    Level 105 Clan Enforcer - Rimor

perseptiva - a lot of us are running into the problem of finding a mission that you really DP want, but when you click on select mission the window dissapears, and it doesn't give you the mission