Thread: New IRC Comming

New IRC Comming

Announcement of New IRC

With the amount of people that we have coming into the IRC, we have been talking about how to change the current IRC we are using. We wanted a better system, to handle even more people, and to be more stable.

As of Thursday May 2 the New IRC will be enacted. The changes will take around 15 minutes. We would like to thank the Quake Net Development team for the Use of their services system. To learn more about Q and Quake Net please visit:
    http://www.quakenet.org

More information will follow On how to use the irc.

Exclamation To clearify certain points:

I might get a tad technical in this post and you'll have to excuse me if i do.

First of all we are not physically moving to QuakeNet, we are simply changing the irc server software (the "irc daemon") and services (like chanserv) that we use. The new irc server will be the same one that QuakeNet is using on their network and we will use the same channel service as they do (Q), only a slightly older version. The Operators will also get a totally new set of tools which should improve both our surveilance of the irc server and improve our efficency. We will also implement open socks (proxy) scanners. This to prevent people from connecting flood clones to do malicous floods or exploits on the irc server.

To repeat: We are NOT moving to Quakenet.

QuakeNet is a totally different organisation and you can not get help or anything else from QuakeNet regarding irc.funcom.com !
    All necessary documentation needed will be provided by us and not QuakeNet.

QuakeNet and its Dev-com were mentioned because these guys have written the irc sevices and tools that we are going to use and credit is given where credit is due - the Quakenet develoment team.
    Last edited by Korre; Apr 30th, 2002 at 10:09:24.