Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slaves of Rubi-Ka

Slaves of Rubi-Ka

Zette arched her back and flexed her shoulders trying to work out the kinks of the long trip on a cheap ship from …what did the natives call it? Houme? Zette shrugged and continued down the boarding ramp. She paused at the end of the ramp before taking her first step on Rubi-Ka. Her life was a whirl of changes, but this was to be the biggest and, hopefully, the last. She intended to make her place on this world and to stay in it as long as she had life to live.

She lifted her foot from the ship’s ramp and put it down on Rubi-Ka. She paused again, wondering at how this step felt no different than thousands of other steps on hundreds of other planets. Zette smiled, shook her head and walked out into the world of Rubi-Ka, motioning the girl standing silently behind her to follow.

Zette pondered as her eyes roamed over the exits from the Arrival Port. Red door for Clan.. Blue for Omni-Tek. Grey for Neutral. And the Jobe exit. The Jobe exit stood apart from the other 3. That in itself shouted exclusivism to Zette. She immediately dismissed it and the Neutral exit. To her, neutral meant, “can’t make a decision.” That left Clan or Omni-Tek.

She paced back and forth between the two doors. A Clanner had spouted a mélange of words at her which assembled themselves into a mush of conservatism and disdain for free enterprise. She had nothing against the Clan or any of their beliefs. She simply had more feelings in favor of free enterprise. “Omni-Tek,” she decided, speaking the word aloud as she made her way past the helpful people at the gate, ignoring their offer of advice. “The only good advice I ever got,” she thought, “was no advice.” She didn’t look back to see if Unole followed. She didn’t need to. Unole was well trained.

Zette sat at her desk in her new apartment in Rome Blue carefully considering the composition of her ad.

“Wanted… Slaves,” she wrote, frowned and deleted the words. “Slaves wanted,” she started again. “Obedient, discreet and eager to serve generous Masters and Mistresses…” She read it, shook her head and started again, “Adult slaves wanted for discreet service to select confidential client list.” She read the display and nodded. Much better. “Apply to Zette for full details.”

She pressed the send button that would post her message over the net and turned to her “Terms and Conditions of Sale between Buyer and Slaves of Rubi-Ka (SoRK).” Nodding, she let her eyes scan the items one by one.

(1) The slave agrees to be sold on open market for an amount to be determined by Buyer and Seller, known as Slaves of Rubi-Ka, hereinafter referred to as SoRK. Buyer agrees to assume responsibility for slave’s training, care and upkeep upon delivery of property.

(2) Slave will be allowed to keep 25% of sale price agreed upon between SoRK and Buyer.

(3) Slave may refuse sale based on ethical or moral principle.

(4) Slave must agree to preserve confidentiality of clientele except when item (4) is in conflict with item (6).

(5) Slave agrees to remain with Buyer until such time as Buyer frees, returns or otherwise dismisses him/her. Voluntarily leaving Buyer's possession without Buyer’s agreement will result in fine not to exceed the sale commission and/or loss of good standing with SoRK and/or entry of slave’s name into public blacklist.

(6) Slave cannot be pressed to obey commands the slave knows to be illegal, immoral or both. Persistence by the Buyer to press the slave into unwilling obedience which the Buyer knows to be against the ethics of the slave will result in the slave being repossessed and the Buyer’s name being posted on a public blacklist.

(7) If, as a result of theft or other misadventure, the slave is removed from the Buyer’s possession, the buyer is within his rights to locate and reclaim said slave. The Buyer may enlist the aid of SoRK, but may not hold SoRK responsible for such loss of property.

Note: No refunds are available unless special circumstances arise which, upon agreement btween SoRK and Buyer that such circumstances exist, may result in the return of monies not to exceed 50% of original sale price.

Zette rested her chin on her fist and tapped a fingernail against the desktop as she thought. There was surely more, but she couldn’t think of them at the moment. She would add them as needed. All in all, though, she thought it a good contract and fair.

Eternalforce scans the Omni-Tek Big Book of Rules

Is this legal?...
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.

Of course it's legal. Omni-tek endorses slavery of all kinds.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Re: Slaves of Rubi-Ka

Nevver was bored at work; bored of scanning the Clan propaganda channels as they contained the same old garbage that she had heard 1,000 times before. "I really need to transfer to a more exciting department," she thought, "one where I get to kill stuff."

She switched to the classified advertising channel to see if there were any new job openings.

"Position available: Secretary to the secretary of the Secretary of Secretaries."

"Lose weight and get exercise - work for Omni Mining!"

"Looking to change your chemical composition? Omni-Med is looking for subjects! Great Pay!"

"Slaves Wanted"

Nevver raised an eyebrow and pressed the screen on the last ad to read the details.

"Well, it's not my cup of tea given my problem with authority, but that's the sort of entrepreneurial creativity that makes Omni-Tek the greatest hypercorporation there is!"

Nevver shook her head and smiled then went back to the subjects in the classifieds.

Originally posted by Mistress Zette
    “Wanted… Slaves,” she wrote, frowned and deleted the words. “Slaves wanted,” she started again.
    ((Hee hee! Classic! ))
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Yes enjoy your stronger body, work for Omni-Mining today! But lets not forget that free package of Notum every year as a Christmas bonus!

I would not mind a slave to do all my paperwork for me...
    President Anisha "Trisagiona" Kenley of the Desert Winds

"Here is the price of freedom:
    Your every drop of courage,
    ounce of pain, pint of blood.
    Paid in advance."

Re: Slaves of Rubi-Ka

Aimstraight was visiting her fixer friend Agna, when she noticed the ad on some obscure gridfeed Agna was reading:

“Slaves wanted,”
    “Obedient, discreet and eager to serve generous Masters and Mistresses…” She read it, shook her head and started again, “Adult slaves wanted for discreet service to select confidential client list.”
    She could hardly believe her eyes. Turning to Agna she said: "Not only do they want us to be their serfs, but they want us to be slaves as well... Who in the inner rooms of the unredeemed temples would be wanting to become an Omni slave?" The anger set fire to her eyes and she had trouble breathing. Agna started to giggle, and then she couldn't help herself any longer and laughed long and hard. After a few minutes, tears streaming down her cheek, she managed to say: "You must not see all as black and white my sneaky friend. This is a sex-ad, nothing else..." Aim looked at the ad again, and sure, there it was, adult slaves wanted... "Blimey, who'd want to be a slave to a Omni sexmaniac?" she said. "Well my friend, some people are just plain weird." Agna said still laughing.
    By popular demand: Back after a 3 year break!

"This is where you can find jobs."

Blackwind showed the screen to his two young girls, Emy and Marine. Emy was leering over his shoulder while Marine only showed half interest, looking out the window on occasion.

"See? Here's a list."

"Position available: Secretary to the secretary of the Secretary of Secretaries."

"Looking to change your chemical composition? Omni-Med is looking for subjects! Great Pay!"

"Slaves Wanted"

"Daddy, those doesn't look all that interesting... But why would people want to work as slaves?" said Emy
    Blackwind looks over his shoulder at her then at the screen. "Slaves?"
    Noticing the post he clicks it to open it.

“Adult slaves wanted for discreet service to select confidential client list.” ... “Apply to Zette for full details.”
    Both girls looked with interest, yet with a twitch on their little noses.
    "Daddy, that looks a little icky.."
    Blackwind nodded, but pressed the “Terms and Conditions of Sale between Buyer and Slaves of Rubi-Ka (SoRK).” tab.

(1) The slave agrees to be sold on open market for an amount to be determined by Buyer and Seller, known as Slaves of Rubi-Ka, hereinafter referred to as SoRK. Buyer agrees to assume responsibility for slave’s training, care and upkeep upon delivery of property.

(2) Slave will be allowed to keep 25% of sale price agreed upon between SoRK and Buyer.

(3) Slave may refuse sale based on ethical or moral principle.

(4) Slave must agree to preserve confidentiality of clientele except when item (4) is in conflict with item (6).

(5) Slave agrees to remain with Buyer until such time as Buyer frees, returns or otherwise dismisses him/her. Voluntarily leaving Buyer's possession without Buyer’s agreement will result in fine not to exceed the sale commission and/or loss of good standing with SoRK and/or entry of slave’s name into public blacklist.

(6) Slave cannot be pressed to obey commands the slave knows to be illegal, immoral or both. Persistence by the Buyer to press the slave into unwilling obedience which the Buyer knows to be against the ethics of the slave will result in the slave being repossessed and the Buyer’s name being posted on a public blacklist.

(7) If, as a result of theft or other misadventure, the slave is removed from the Buyer’s possession, the buyer is within his rights to locate and reclaim said slave. The Buyer may enlist the aid of SoRK, but may not hold SoRK responsible for such loss of property.

Note: No refunds are available unless special circumstances arise which, upon agreement btween SoRK and Buyer that such circumstances exist, may result in the return of monies not to exceed 50% of original sale price.
    The trio reads it through. Blackwind sits silent.
    "Dad..Take it away..That's just too weird." says Marine and walks to the refridgerator to get something to drink.
    Emy pokes her father. "Daddy?"
    He suddenly comes to. "What? Oh..Right.."
    Clicking the "Close" tab, the ad goes away, and he continues to show his daughters how they can make a living.
    ~Trolls~
    Malcom "Chamaelo" Ashwell - Ex-Immortal.
    Vanguard Adriaan "Demongun" Blackwind - Hermit.
    Jawquez "Jawalooc" Loocazt - Bounty Hunter.
    Michael "Mirkle" Kreble - Creep.
    Christopher "Xelger" Junior - Coffee Maker.

Child Of The Omni - The Boy With The Kitten - Sleepless - The Storm/Breathe - Terminal

"You've just got to keep writing, if that's what makes you happy,
    even when there is no indication anyone is actually reading your work." - Savoy

Business As Usual?

“For the love o’….. Get up, fer crisake.” Zette scowled at the Atrox groveling before her.

“Please, Mistress,” the ‘trox whimpered. “I’ve been bad. Very bad.” It peeked up from the floor to see what effect his behavior was having on Zette. “Very, very bad.”

Zette rolled her eyes and walked to the window. She stood looking out over Jobe Harbor, her back to the ‘trox. “Get up and get out,” she told it.

The ‘trox stopped it’s whimpering and groveling. “Mistress,” it queried.

Zette turned to face it, her scowl deepening. “I said,” she enunciated, one word at a time, “Get. Up. And. Get. Out.” The ‘trox stared at her, unbelieving. “NOW!” shouted Zette, pointing to the door. “And don’t even think about coming back. Now or ever.”

The ‘trox sat unmoving, disbelief written across his face, until Zette took a step toward him. Her expression was enough to send him scuttling on all fours toward the door as fast as he could move. Zette rushed after him and punched the manual override beside the door forcing the doors to slide shut. The ‘trox barely had time to clear the threshold when the doors came together with a solid thunk.

She looked at the door for a moment before making a sound of disgust and exasperation. She looked at the applications in her hand. 10 in all. Each one applying for slavery. Each one worse than the one before, if that was possible. “I thought this was a civilized world,” she said as she ripped the stack and half and threw the pieces over her shoulders. She shook her head and went back to the desk and another stack of applications.

She had culled through most of the stack when she heard a knock at her door. Pressing a button on the desktop she said, “Yes?”

“Would you invite me in, dear lady,” came the whispered reply. “I would rather not be seen on your doorstep.”

Anyone else would have been insulted by such a reply, but Zette had been in the business long enough to know the nature of her potential clientele. Usually prosperous, recognized citizens who wanted cheap labor but didn’t want to be publicly known as slave owners.

She pressed another button and a man entered quickly. He pushed back his hood to reveal a reasonably attractive face, somewhat common among the affluent. “Thank you,” he said, walked across the room and extended his hand to Zette. My name is M<<deleted to preserve privacy>>.”

“Zette DuMontaigne," she replied, shaking his hand. “Won’t you have a seat?” He nodded and sat in one of two chairs by the window. Zette continued to extend the expected courtesies. “Would you like a drink? I have some scotch which, I am told, is supposed to be quite good.”

M<> nodded again and said, “Yes. I would like that. Over ice.” Zette brought drinks for both of them. She sat across from him and looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to start. He took a sip of the scotch, relaxed and said, “I suppose you know why I’m here.”

Zette stirred her drink with the tip of her finger, “Well, until this morning I would have said you came by to look at my pretty face,” she said, smiling sarcastically.

M<> looked surprised, then laughed. “I see. You have a sense of humor.”

Zette nodded and smiled, “Some would say so.”

“And I’m sure they are right,” he agreed, “but let me get to the point.” He paused, pursed his lips as if to say something, paused again. He took a deep breath, held it for a moment, opened his mouth to make a word, stopped and exhaled. His face grew ruddy with embarrassment.

Much as she enjoyed watching M<> squirm, she decided to make it easy on him. “You want to buy a slave,” she said.

“Yes!” blurted M<>. “Exactly.”

“Well, I wish you luck, Mr. M<>.” M<> looked surprised. Zette held up her hand, “Not that I wouldn’t sell you one,” she said. M<>’s face relaxed somewhat. “It’s just that I haven’t had very much luck recruiting slaves.”

M<> looked puzzled. “Ms. DuMontaigne, I’ve been watching your door for some time this morning. I was surprised at the number of people going in and out. Surely…” he held his hands out in a questioning gesture.

Zette nodded. “Yeah. You’d think so, wouldn’t you.” She sighed and sucked the whisky off her finger. She looked M<> in the face and asked, “Just what kind of slave are you looking for, anyway?”

M<> blushed again, delayed his answer by straightening his robe, tidying his creases and re-crossing his legs. “Well, a person in my position…” he started, then tried again. “You see, there are times when…” His face was a brilliant shade of red by now. “This is so difficult.”

Zette’s eyes narrowed as she watched M<> fidget nervously. M<> took a big swallow of his scotch and breathed deeply for a few breaths then tried again. “I need a bodyguard and valet,” he blurted.

Zette’s eyes widened in surprise. “Well, why didn’t you just say so? That’s a perfectly legitimate occupation.”

M<> looked out the window. “Yes, it is,” he said. He looked at Zette and explained. “Some time ago I began receiving threats on my life. My board decided that I needed round the clock protection and suggested I hire a bodyguard/valet. Someone discreet and whose loyalty could be relied upon.” He looked at his glass and seemed surprised to see it empty.

Zette refilled from the bottle next to her. “I still don’t understand why you are so distressed over this,” she said.

M<> drank half of his refill then said, “I can’t afford it. And I can’t afford to let the board of directors know I can’t afford it.”

Zette smiled and nodded. “Yes. Now I see.”

M<> looked relieved, almost happy. “Good,” he said. “I can pay well… but only once.” He gave her a slightly regretful smile. “I just can’t pay a body guard’s wages. A good one is very expensive, you know.”

“It may take some time,” Zette said, “but I will try to help you. The product you’re looking for certainly isn’t in there.” She waved a hand toward the pile of applications on her desk. “But I will certainly look. Do you have a specific term of service in mind, or is it indefinite?”

“Hopefully, the term of service will only a few months. It may turn out to be longer, though.”

They both stood and moved toward the door. Zette picked up a contract and handed it to him. “You can look this over so that you are familiar with the terms and conditions of service. I will contact you tomorrow and let you know how the search is coming.”

M<> pulled his hood back over his head, pulling it in close to his face. “I’d appreciate your discretion in this,” he said.

“Of course,” Zette smiled. “It wouldn’t be any other way.”

M<> nodded and exited, quickly walking away. Zette allowed the door to close, went to her desk and began looking through the applications. “Gawd, I’m so tired of ‘troxs in panties,” she sighed.
    Last edited by Mistress Zette; Jan 21st, 2004 at 22:36:18.

*sigh* Absolutely rediculous. Do personal ads really belong on our beloved buzz? This seems like a private matter to me, what you do behind closed doors is your business but this is for news, not to find yourselves dates.
    Atlantean Soldier.

Director of Obsoleet (@.@)/'

I have been doing some investigation of my own after an interaction with the president of this "Slaves of Rubi-ka" group last night. She was telling me basically that men are beneath it all, that mishaps are meant to happen to them (but if something happens to a woman, *that* is wrong), etc.

The law on Rubi-ka states, "You may not organize nor be a member of any clans or groups within Anarchy that are based on, or espouse, any racist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, or other hate-mongering philosophy." It further goes on to explain that hate-mongering is defined as "Being active and/or participation in or propagation of Hate literature, behaviour, or propaganda related to real -world characteristics." Her behavior could easily be described as hate-mongering as she was clearly belittling an entire group of people, men!

The law also states, "You may not use any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive language. This includes all communication with other players." Since the ad requests that slaves be above the age of 18, that would imply that they are skating the law a little further down the list I'm drawing from... that states that you must not do anything that is illegal from wherever it is you came from. Slavery is illegal in almost any community that any of us would have come from, although I can't find the OT lawbook to verify this. I am going with the assumption that our corporation would be lawfully against personal owning of human slaves as this would detract from the work that the slave could otherwise do for Omni-tek.

So yes, I would say that this organization is participating in illegal activity.
    Nezhinau 220/23 Engineer
    Building QL 300 Mutated AI Crabs Omnified with 5 gems!
    Also: 220 MA, 220 Crat, 167 Fixer, 155 MP, Dr. Toot

Juliet sat straight up in bed and ran her fingers through her long hair. She blinked a few times, clearing her sleepy vision, and looked out the windows.

"Ugh, not even dawn!" she mumbled quietly, glancing at her husband dreaming soundly with an arm draped across her waist. He looked so content. It made her wonder if she looked happy when she slept, because she certainly wasn't.

"Stupid dreams... outta my head now. Sheesh!" she whispered to herself as she slowly wiggled her small body from under the strong arm of a soldier. Her bare feet hit the floor and she tiptoed to the living room without putting on her robe.

Juliet plopped herself on the floor, crossed her legs, and pressed the buttons to bring up a screen.

"Somethin' good, gimme some gossip... c'mon, I wanna read somethin' fun!" The words flew by as she skipped any she didn't understand.

"Secretary, can't read well 'nuff... ARK usin' Notum, yeah yeah. Lose weight? I look like a frikkin' doll! Missin' people shouldn't get lost... OmniMed... bleh... Slaves... bleh-whaaat?! Someone is-- no way!" She clicked the ad and skimmed through.

"Adult slaves? wtf d00d?" She caught her language and tried to repress the urge to use l33t sp33k.

"Of all the... ta put it on the... and these people... ugh! I am born and raised on this planet, next thing I know, I'm bein invaded by frikkin SLAVE-OWNIN N00BS! n00bs, n00bs... st00pid n00bs all comin' from other places. None of these people seem ta be local."

She pulled her knees to her chest and frowned thoughtfully. Yes, she thought. She hadn't ever really liked the idea. She considered it odd and sad that it was becoming ever more common on her beloved Rubi-Ka.

"stfu," she muttered under her breath. "Tomorrow I'ma go run around with leets, then I'll go to Rompa and hang out. I'm no n00b."

Juliet frowned deeply again, her eyes staring through the screen in front of her. She turned it off and leaned back on the carpet, stretching her legs out and staring at her toes. She thought about theDeacon's bedtime stories and smiled. Banishing all unpleasent thoughts from her tired mind, she hopped up and headed back to the bedroom.

Quietly she went through the motions of one of her favorite programs, transforming into a small, furry leet. The little creature she had become jumped silently onto the bed and wriggled her way back under the soldier's heavy arm. She pressed her warm, wet nose against that of her husband and purred herself to sleep.
    Last edited by Lunya; Jan 22nd, 2004 at 06:16:01.
    Juliet "Lunya" Lochlan
    ~Adventurer (retired)

"Omni by profession, Neutral at heart."~

->This link guaranteed to make you smile every time!<-

I for one would like to suggest that someone do something about this. I can't imagine how these "slaves" must feel! Omni-tek protects, but they do not take away our individuality or our right to think for ourselves and make our own decisions! Anyone willing to give up their independence is in serious need of Omni-med assistance, and should be collected and locked away immediately pending treatment!

I remember once someone tried to pressure me into this sort of thing and I was so uncomfortable and nervous I ended up locking myself in my apartment for months. Well there were other contributing factors, too, but I've come to understand that there are people out there who care about me and want to see me thrive... not submit to another individual. Success is in doing for ourselves and doing for our corporation... a corporation that consists of many people, not one!
    New hair, new job,
    New genetics and new makeup!
    Poo Pou Pa-choo!

Speaking as someone who studies behavior for a living, the whole 'slavery' thing isn't what some of you are thinking. Look at the ToC Zette posted...for a slave, you sure get a lot of options on what you have to do. You get part of the profit, a say in who 'owns (or 0wn5)' you. You can't be forced to do anything really bad. Real slavery strips you of those options.

This is more of a submission game, with the harshest penalty being that you get kicked out of the game. For some people, that game is all important to them. Two willing participants does not make a master/slave relationship in the manner that would be illegal, and as long as their public conduct is clean I can't see it violating obscenity rules either.

It's definitely not something that trips my trigger, however, in any way.
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer
    Dual Resident of Borealis/Jobe

The Choice

After talking with the president of SoRK for a few hours, Betji was disturbed enough to visit the offices of Schuemann & Associates, now on Jobe.

It was business hours, so walking in was easy. The security guard just smiled and nodded to her. Half the planet, and all of S&A, knew she was the senior partner's companion and lover. The sight of her black CDS bodyarmor, blonde hair, and trademark mirrorshades were almost as familiar as Blackpetal's austere buisness suit.

"Baxter, is this legal?" She asked S&A's tireless senior staffer, since Petal herself was off planet, yet again.

"Um, what's that, Betji?" Baxter put aside his reader and looked up.

"This Slaves of Rubi-Ka organization. Can they really sell slaves, even if the slavery is voluntary on the part of the slaves?"

Baxter sat back for a moment, pondering. "I would need some time to research it before offering a firm opnion."

"Bax, I can't afford to hire S&A on this, I just want your best guess."

"Well, according to precedent and ICC rulings, including those about atroxes and the notum mines here on Rubi-Ka, it isn't slavery if the 'worker' enters into the contract voluntarily. As long as no coercion of any sort is involvement, it's legal. After all, a large part of the workforce and citizenry around the galaxy works under similar terms, including many of the early colonists and workers on Rubi-Ka."

"But doesn't it have to be limited... I mean... contracts have to end, don't they?" Betji was genuinely curious.

"No, not unless local law requires it. For example, corporate sales don't have time limits. If one corporation sells itself to another, it's permanent. People can enter into similar agreements, although naturally any sensible lawyer would advise against it!"

Betji nodded. "Thanks, Bax, I appreciate it. No wonder Petal thinks you're so great!"

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have feeling S&A hasn't heard the last of this. It's not uncommon for people who sign unlimited contracts to seek a way to escape them later." Baxter's face remained as noncommital as ever, but Betji knew he was chuckling inside.

Betji grinned and nodded. "Legally escaped slaves... I love it! Thanks again!"

Betji bounded out of the office with her usual energy, whistling an ancient marching song to herself: The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
    Last edited by Betji; Jan 23rd, 2004 at 15:26:12.

Alright talon if One goes by your words, then this still is not the place for one to find their dates. This is not for personal ads last time I checked.
    Atlantean Soldier.

Director of Obsoleet (@.@)/'

Zette lay on her bed, a cool cloth covering her eyes, when the door buzzer sounded. She groaned and pressed her hands to her ears. The buzzing persisted. She finally sat up and made her way to the door. She pressed the door-com button. “Go away,” she said. “I’m not home.”

“Miss Zette, it’s Unole. Please let me in.”

Zette smiled and pressed the door release. Unole walked in, looked at Zette and rushed to her side. “Miss Zette, you look awful.”

Zette laughed. “That’s not unusual,” she said.

“No, I mean you look sick.” Unole wasn’t laughing.

Zette nodded. “I feel sick, Unole. Sick and tired.” She went back to her bed and flopped down. She slapped the cloth over her eyes and groaned.

“I’ll bring you a soothing tea,” Unole offered. “I hear these soothing herbs from Jobe are just the thing to cure whatever ails you.”

Zette flapped a hand in the general direction of the kitchen and said, “You’ll find some in the cabinet over there. But I doubt that will fix what’s wrong with me.”

“Business problems?” Unole asked.

Zette groaned. “Oh, yes,” she sighed. “Business.”

Unole brought a steaming cup to Zette who sat up and accepted it gratefully. “I don’t know what’s wrong with these people,” she said. “Look at those applications,” she gestured toward her desk. “Useless. All of them. Useless to me, themselves and anyone else.”

Unole walked to the desk and picked up the top application. The picture was of a solitus male in a pose of strength. “Well, this one looks pretty good,” she said letting her eyes scan the rest of the page. “I don’t see….” She stopped, her eyes wide. “Oh.”

Zette heard a dismal tone in Unole’s voice and groaned. Unole picked up the next application, scanned it quickly then said, “Oh. Oh, my.” Zette groaned again. Unole riffled through the stack saying, “Oh,” and “Oh, my,” as she went ending, finally, with a “Good heavens!”

Zette nodded her head and winced with pain. She set down her cup and laid back on the pillows. “You see what I mean?” Unole silently shook her head. Zette moaned and said. “Every applicant I’ve interviewed has some idea of getting into the easy life by becoming somebody’s plaything.” She slammed her fist down on the bed. “Dammit! I’m not a toy store.”

Unole rushed to her side and set a cool hand against Zette’s cheek. “You have fever,” she said. “I’ll get a healer.”

Zette grabbed Unole’s wrist keeping her from summoning a doctor. “That’s not fever, Unole. It’s anger. Pure and simple anger.”

Unole sat down next to Zette and patted her hand. “There, there,” she soothed.

Zette sat up, put her fists to her temples and cursed. She rose from the bed and began to pace. “They’re insane. There’s something in the air, or the water, or the food…”

She sighed. “Unole, you know I never pretended to give a damn what other people do or think or how they live. There’s not enough room in any world for one humanoid to pass judgment on another. There are private lives and public lives and, heaven knows, they often differ to an extreme degree. But I resent the assumption that I am nothing more than a procurer.”

Unole blushed slightly. “Well, some Masters and Mistresses do make… uh… pets of their slaves,” she said.

Zette snapped around to face Unole, and expression of pending rage on her face. “That hasn’t happened to you, has it?” she demanded.

Unole shook her head and smiled, “I wouldn’t say if it did.”

Zette let the tension flow from her, patted Unole’s shoulder fondly and smiled. “Of course you wouldn’t.” Her smile was replaced with a look of gentle concern. “You’d tell me if there was trouble, though. Wouldn’t you?”

Unole patted the hand on her shoulder. “Yes. I would,” she told Zette reassuringly. “Besides, I’m a free woman, now. Remember?”

Zette laughed. “That’s right. I’d forgotten for a minute. How’s that going, by the way?”

“It’s quite pleasant, actually,” Unole answered. “I have work to do, I’m free to train in my chosen profession, I don’t have to worry about an income, place to live, food to eat.” She considered for a minute. “And I am making friends, now. Mr. W is very considerate and a good … mentor.”

“I’m glad for you,” Zette told her, remembering the shy, frightened girl she took away from Houme. “You still have a place with me, Unole, if you ever need it. As my friend.”

Unole hugged Zette. The two women held each other, finding comfort in the embrace. “You’ve been sister, mother and mentor to me, Miss Zette. I’ll always love you. No one can change that. No matter what they say.”

Zette kissed the top of Unole’s head and hugged the girl to her. Her eyes fell on the stack of applications on her desk and she sighed. “Oh, well,” she thought. “Every day is a new day. It’s just going to take time.”
    Last edited by Mistress Zette; Jan 23rd, 2004 at 15:05:13.

Originally posted by Don Carnage
    Alright talon if One goes by your words, then this still is not the place for one to find their dates. This is not for personal ads last time I checked.
    /faking a typical Rubi-Ka want ad

OMG WTB SWF PLZ!11!1!!!

Ok, I feel better now that's out of my system.

I agree that personal ads don't belong here, however Zette's not looking for a date. She's looking for customers, and that's been done before by other organizations. Until we get some sort of legal ruling, I think she's got a right to be here just like we do....no matter how disturbing one might find her "matchmaking" service.
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer
    Dual Resident of Borealis/Jobe

The Choice

Thumbs up

((*shrug* It is a story in character. And a funny one.))
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

(I think she's doing a great job!)
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast