Thread: IRRK/Zigball/Reporters and more. Update from Xnemth

IRRK/Zigball/Reporters and more. Update from Xnemth

It's time again to update you on what's going on with the myriad projects ARK CR is involved with.

I'll start withthe more mundane, that way tou gotta read through it all to get to the good stuff. > MWuahAhAhahahaha... ahem.

In-Game Reporters
    Ok, In-Game Reporters are pretty much on an even keel. We're not exactly gaining or loosing in that department, which bugs me. I like change, even if it's bad, it lets me know that SOMETHING is happening.

Now that people are back in school, and back to work, the output of this group has dropped. So articles will be posted less frequently than before, but they'll still be posted. If nothing else the reporters sitll tromp around ingame fromt ime to time and chat with people, hunting leads and such. even if no article comes of every trip, it's still interaction which is the number one goal.

HOW CAN YOU HELP, YOU ASK?
    Here's how. If you:
    1. Possess strong english writing skills
    2. Enjoy creating news, stories, or themed literature
    3. Enjoy intereacting with other people in a role-play persona
    4. Are 18 years old (or older) with an account in good standing (no late payments etc)
    5. Go to ark.funcom.com and apply to ARK

You'll go through the interview and screening process (like everyone does) and if you pass the interview and are accepted into the program, you'll go through normal advisor training.
    6. If you are accepted to ARK, email crsubmissions@ark.anarchy-online.com and let me know that you're interested in the Reporters Program, I'll send you the information you need, and we'll review your writing samples etc and look at getting you trained once you've become an Advisor.

Bottom line, we need people who are interested in creating this sort of product. Tell yer friends, your orgmates, anyone you think might do a good job. Ultimately our themed reporters are enjoyed by players all over. Some hate them, some love them, it depends on the persona and where they are. But it's 400% fun for everyone.

Article Publication, Fansites, and News Oh My!

Ok, there have been difficulties lately in communicating with some fansites. Several appear to be in a state of flux while staff changes occur etc. So, while we wait for that to get sorted, we're cleaning out our mailing list and starting it fresh.

If you are an admin of an AO fansite, and would like us to send you an email when new articles or IRRK News Flashes are created, you can email us some background info about your site, and a link, as well as what you'd like to do with the updates we send you. We'll check out the site and get back to you in short order. At the moment, guild websites won't be added to this list (as they come and go like crazy). But in the not to distant future, we'll open up the list to guilds as well as fansites.

Steps:
    1. email crsubmissions@ark.anarchy-online.com
    1A. In your email, include who you are, what your association to the site is, the site address, and your plans for the news updates we send out.
    2. We'll have our people call your people, our people will do lunch. Ciao.

IRRK Cooperation Program
    You may have read in my last update about our plans to create faction ezines. An outflux of staff has pretty much killed that idea where it stood. So, instead, we have pretty much one option left.

The IRRK Cooperation Program will be a concerted effort by ARK CR and you, the player, to make a single monthly Ezine "IRRK Grid Feed" a reality.'

Program details are still being hashed out, I expect to have the needed document created in two weeks time. My staff are presently working on a tool for this project that would allow participants to submit articles, graphics etc for this program.

Not EVERYONE can be a part of this project. In creating this program I had to face facts about player involvement. People have busy lives, they can't dedicate a ton of time to this. Not everyone who starts strong stays that way. Some people will join and then go immediately inactive. Etc.

So I'll be posting an application along with the program details in my next update. What I CAN tell you now is this...

We NEED people familiar with HTML and other code to work as integrators. You'll be setting the graphics to the selected format, adding the articles, making sure everything fits and looks sexy etc.

We NEED people to submit news and articles. Note, this is not a Readers Digest type magazine, so fiction isn't going to really have a place in it. Think of this more as TIME magazine for AO.

We NEED people with solid skills to work as editors.

We NEED people who are dedicated and in this for the long haul.

At the moment, all I can offer is the satisfaction of having your work recieved by the community at large, and putting your name on the credits page for all to see. More on this as it happens.

IRRK News Wire Update

Ok, we've pretty much got all the kinks worked out of the News Wire now. No more evil chat server congestion etc. (YAY) With a little luck (and some well placed bribes) the News Wire will be moved to it's permanant server soon... and there will be much rejoicing.

As with most projects, I can't afford to sit at home all day and work on them, which limits the time Ihave and ultimately what I can do. So News Wire will not run random adds for Guilds/Orgs. News Wire will not congratulate every wedding (though we try), it will not tell you what levels you can group with and it will not cook you dinner.

News Wire WILL run updates on in-game Events. It WILL keep you up to date (as best I can) on storylines both player and official. It WILL maintain a history of recent headlines for you to read, and it NOW has the ability to mailout complete headlines as they are added to fansites via a mailing list. Again, Guild sites at this time are not going to be added. Though we might add those with my next update.

Changes to the News Wire. The Bot no longer SENDS the headline to you when it broadcasts. (We found out this caused some "Bad thing(tm)" to occur with the chat server. (OOPS!) So now, when you click the headline, you'll need to click the link to request an article be sent to you. This may take a few minutes if lots of people are requesting an article. (True story, I ran a large article called Year in Review *or something similar* 68% of Atlantean clicked within a few seconds of each other. Similar deal on Rimor)

When we finally get the staff needed to update the ARK Webpage, we'll put up more option for News Wire, including a submission tool where you can send us a request for it... like 'Hey, X, please congratulate OrgX on their one year anniversary'. etc.

And finally, what most of you have been scrolling down for.... (drum roll)
    ZIGBALL UPDATE OMGZ!!!1one1!

Ok, here's the deal. I've been trying to find a way to bring this in-game for YOU to play. With a nudge in the right direction, I found a site with details on a game called Basher Ball (that seems tohave been abandoned). Using this as a base, we're looking at creating Zigball. BUT, I want to hear your suggestions and ideas.

Here's the basics. Teams can be as large as you want, but only FOUR players from each team can be in play at once.

EACH player must have a DIFFERENT purpose on the field. You may NOT have two rooters, or two runners etc in play at once.

Weapons are NOT allowed. (to include wen-wens etc) Nano programs ARE allowed, BUT no player may be over level 50. (may be lowered depending on resists etc).

SL Perks ARE allowed.

With those in mind, take a trip to http://srythshangar.lasthome.net/basher/bnews.htm and see what you can think up.

If you have COMPLETE game ideas, submit them to crsubmissions@ark.anarchy-online.com ASAP and I'll review them.

Once we have a WORKING game, I'll go ahead and create a Minor-League Zigball Association for JUST players. Naturally reporters, IRRK and more will be covering these games.

I've spoken with Fantaghiro of the ARK Events Department, and we're working together to try and bring Zigball in game for Major Matches etc. More as that develops (poor guy is buried under work at the moment).

I THINK that covers just about everything. I want to say one last thing before I sign off for this update....

I'm sorry about not updating the news more often. This is a volunteer gig and I can only dedicate so much time without it becoming a problem in RL. Sometimes I'm able to crank new headlines etc left and right, other times I'm busy for over a week. So please understand that everything I and ARK does is on an "As able" basis. I would LOVE to be able to sit here all day and make Zigball a reality instantly, and involve you all, but I just cant. The BEST way for you to help me, is to get involved with ARK, be it in Events or CR, the more people we have to work with, the easier it is to make these things happen.

ark.funcom.com

'nuff said.

Yours respectfully,

Xnemth & Pirate Leet
    Retired ARK Xnemth

Thumbs up

This stuff has been great and your plans sound fun. Thanks for all the hard work you have been doing!

Great work you guys perform. Really

(I pressed enter a bit too fast and hence a double post)
    Last edited by Niatu; Jan 19th, 2004 at 01:46:03.
    Niatu A level 60 solitus engineer

Corwal a level 200 Opifex trader

Fraph A level 137+ nanomage engineer

Thanks for the good work on News Wire. I appreciate it anyway.

Hmm, about Zigball. If nano's are allowed (outside healing and rooting) wouldn't that make for lots of near insta-deaths? I'm thinking of a nicely twinked NT and area-nukes. And I think it will keep newer players out because they can't afford to twink.

I read up on the rules of Bashball and it does show a lot of potential. I can see everybody dressed in an omni medsuit already.
    Niatu A level 60 solitus engineer

Corwal a level 200 Opifex trader

Fraph A level 137+ nanomage engineer

::Windguaerd hits Xnemth with a large blunt object::

Now bud...WHO found a site with details on a game called Basher Ball?

My oh my...you have a short memory...maybe another hit will remind you who told you about the site...

::Windguaerd hits Xnemth again, knocking him out::

Uh oh...too hard...

::Windguaerd looks around::

Uh...someone call a Doctor...this...ARK dude just...slipped on some Leet poop and fell!

::A crowd surrounds Xnemth while Windguaerd sneaks away::
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Im certainly intrigued by the Zigball information...

But your rules state no weapons, and theirs state no nukes... So will we only do scoring as running across the field and doing a "touch"?

Exciting news regardless
    streaz18 - Women love Opifex in bed. I have just as much stamina as a solitus, I am much more agile, and I can sense how they like it in ways a solitus male could only dream of.
    ESA - 80/53/46
    Narysta is levelling again!

Originally posted by Niatu
    And I think it will keep newer players out because they can't afford to twink.
    If you arrange leagues, thi will even out. THe twinks would advance to the major leagues and the non-twinks will stay with people 'their own size'

IRRK Newswire is back, bring on the Zigball matches!
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

link dead/broken? anyways from what others have posted I made my own assuptions of Zigballs rules and how its played so as a runner max runspeed triple imped + nr perked and triple imped at full defense I couldn't be stopped if your were allowed to attack asin shot your opponet then you would also need BD/HP triple imped pretty simple basicly unstopable oh and don't forget your ToTw pad for 15sec of unrootability O_o

thats assuming I understand the rules which I couldn't read

I think Windguaerd refers to the imaginary Zigball league played in ARKs heads, and the results which used to be reported on IRRK. I liked reading about those games, and if it had scheduled games and a league table, would have even started betting on them.

To actually play out the games with player characters idea is probably buried because that seems too tricky.

(There is however Rollerrat ball: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...rollerrat+ball or used to be.)
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Virta View Post
    I think Windguaerd refers to the imaginary Zigball league played in ARKs heads, and the results which used to be reported on IRRK. I liked reading about those games, and if it had scheduled games and a league table, would have even started betting on them.

To actually play out the games with player characters idea is probably buried because that seems too tricky.

(There is however Rollerrat ball: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...rollerrat+ball or used to be.)
    Back in those days Xnemth was a friend, and I can honestly say that he was the one writing the Zigball news entries and his imagination was an inspiration to many of us.

80% of a good RP Event/Story is having a good imagination. I've always noticed that you can easily find an ARK to answer petitions, but to run a RP event...needle in a hay stack even with training because imagination...can't be taught, only encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Virta View Post

Virta is correct, RUR did host and run Rollerrat ball for about 6-7 months. We were going start it back up again, but lost our playfield do to Omni-tek protecting the borialis radar dish that we used for our arena.
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

Quote Originally Posted by Mire View Post
    Virta is correct, RUR did host and run Rollerrat ball for about 6-7 months. We were going start it back up again, but lost our playfield do to Omni-tek protecting the borialis radar dish that we used for our arena.
    I always liked the rollerrat ball, and heard reports of it. Never was able to attend because of time conflicts, but still liked getting the hearsay reports
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor