Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Tape the guild is not a copyright infringement

Red Tape the guild is not a copyright infringement

An interesting post is on my guild's messageboard at

http://pub97.ezboard.com/fredtapefrm...picID=22.topic

I can use your thoughts on this situation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talbott Farley
    Posted: 4/15/02 9:46:13 am

Hi,

I was reminiscing when I was shocked to find your "little" group had stolen my faction name.....

Kinda funny actually, since we (the old RT) have been "dead" about as long as your little group has been "alive".

I don't play AO anyways.....oh well.

Talbott Farley
    Posted: 4/23/02 3:26:29 pm

I think you should pay me a royalty fee for using my faction name.....How about $1.00 for every time anyone logs into AO, or visits your website....

Charles Houston
    Posted: 4/23/02 3:55:03 pm

I was saying that Red Tape's name was thought up when 6 crats formed the guild and Red Tape = bureaucracy. The name sounded good and we used it. Sides, we've fared very well on AO and made a small name for ourselves.

Charles "Kithrak" Houston ,
    President of Red Tape

Talbott Farley
    Posted: 4/25/02 9:44:13 am

I founded Red Tape all by myself on Sept 22, 2000......before the game was on the shelves, or even in final beta!

playervault.ign.com/guilds/members.asp?gid=4191

Here was my member list, and my faction was listed on the main AO page.

As evidence, I provide a snapshot of this page served up directly from the "Wayback Machine" website. The "Wayback Machine" stores webpages (sans graphics) for posterity from nearly the entire internet!

web.archive.org/web/20001212050200/www.anarchyonline.com/community/clans/index.html

You'll see Red Tape listed in this snapshot from December 6, 2000.........

In fact, for being listed on AO's website, I was supposed to get accepted into the final beta test. They never returned by email correspondence......

So, as an infringement of my copyright, I want damages for unpaid royalties and/or a complete abandonment of the Red Tape faction name......

alysanda007
    Posted: 4/25/02 1:29:23 pm

I'd like to see your copyright documentation.

Talbott Farley
    Posted: 4/25/02 4:00:59 pm

From the U.S. Code Collection:

www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode

"TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 102.
    Sec. 102. - Subject matter of copyright: In general

(a)

Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device."

The original work of authorship would be my faction site, it's name (i.e. Red Tape), and all content contained within. Thus, Red Tape (especially when pertaining to the game Anarchy Online) is protected under the copyright laws of the United States. More than likely, had your faction existed within a different game, or maybe even unrelated to the bureaucrat class, I would have had little or no basis for my allegations. But, as you have readily admitted, your group was created with bureaucrats in mind and is part of the Anarchy Online universe.......you are infringing on my COPY-RIGHTS.

Thank you.

Talbott Farley
    Council Master and Founder of Red Tape

Charles Houston
    Posted: 4/25/02 11:37:42 pm

I see no problem here.

The guild name was:
    A) Abondoned and was marked as unused on the Anarchy Online's Rubi-Ka 1 server. Hence we were able to select that name during the guild creation process.
    B) We never saw or heard about your guild and its name before during the creation process. Disproveing your theory that we "copied" anything off you or your website. Guess what? We don't have a website!
    C) All things in the game Anarchy Online is the property of Funcom and for the same reason that selling in-game property even for the time to acquire the items is not allowed by the EULA. Thus you are not allowed to sell it to us for a "fee".
    D) You are no longer a subscriber to Anarchy Online and have no claim over Funcom's property as a user. In case you still want to sell the items/ideas to us as an active subscriber, see also C.

For example, if you Mr. A "had" a character, an Omni soldier called "John" on Anarchy Online and created a whole website and backstory about him but later quit subscribeing and the name becomes free again.

Should Mr. B try to create the character "John" and the game allowed him to and thus meaning the name was unused. Then lets suppose Mr. B decided to write his own backstory and start a website dedicated to the character "John" on Anarchy Online can you claim copyright infringement?

For arguement sake lets also suppose that Mr. B's "John" is also an Omni soldier. But Mr. B has never seen, heard or met about Mr. A does Mr. A still hold any claim over "John"?

This guild is not in any way shape or form linked to your former creation. There was no contact or influence from you during the entire creation/setup process.

President of Red Tape

Talbott Farley
    Posted: 4/26/02 1:56:11 pm

I was never IN Anarchy Online to begin with....so your whole Funcom "ownership" idea is nonsense.

The faction name, website and idea are still published on the web, and simply because we have broken up does not mean that I do not still have copyrights.

You are still using the name "Red Tape" for your group.

Let me pose a more valid example to counter your obviously useless one:

Let's say a group of people decide to start a website where people draw pictures of cutesy animal characters. And let's also say that this group comes up with a name for themselves and their website. And let's say that they decide on the name "Disney".....or "Looney Toons". Suppose then that they had no previous knowledge of the fact that these names were already taken. They are still guilty of copyright infringement and should cease using the names.....

Hence, you are using my previously chosen name for a faction in Anarchy Online, and I still have rights to that name until say,my website is removed from the 'net, which it is not!

So it's simple. Change your name or send me some cash.

P.S. My EZBoard ("Red Tape") is still online as well, I can have your BBS shut down with a simple email request.

Charles Houston
    Posted: 4/26/02 2:43:45 pm

You are confuseing a copyright and a trademark. Both the name Disney and Looney Tunes are trademarked and noone else is allowed to use that name. The name Red Tape is not trademarked.

Red Tape is an organization based in Anarchy Online, and as such it is the property of Funcom. If you have a problem I would also suggest you take a look at an in-game item.

antiguardians.org/itemdb.php?cmd=view&id=30135

If you have a problem with our guild name then you have a problem with that item too. It would be prudent of you to contact Funcom about the problem.

Your attempts to gain money from this is absurd and will not get you a cent. Do not make any further attempts to harass us or you will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

President of Red Tape

Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Talking

hohoohooooo....

Lots of funny posts today. 8P

/DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Question:

Is this alleged copyright registered? While I am not familiar with the law in all common law jurisdictions so it could vary, tradtitionally copyright cannot simply be asserted based on past usage, it must be legally registered and recognized in order for it to be asserted.

The quoted statute above (I assume it is US so you might want to look at international copyright which can be treated quite differently) which states that copyright exists in all mediums could be very misleading. Yes, copyright infringements on the web are a crime (though good luck enforcing it LOL), but you still need to HAVE copyright to enforce it.

What exactly is he basing his copyrigth claim on?
    Last edited by Adolanabantz; Apr 27th, 2002 at 00:40:49.
    "Woe unto those who would tempt us from our path. Woe unto those who would defile the the Spirit in transgression against Him. For them I shall show no mercy. Such is the will of Bantz"

Okay, just another question.. are you both in the US and if so what States?

And second, as for the threat of shutting down your BBS and all that crap let him try. If the service provider is willing to act on an unsubstatied claim of copyright then he is a fool (and also possibly in violation of the law though this would depend on a lot of facts I don't have as well as the particular contracts involved)

I actually find this kinda of interesting

Edit: *sigh* I can't spell today
    "Woe unto those who would tempt us from our path. Woe unto those who would defile the the Spirit in transgression against Him. For them I shall show no mercy. Such is the will of Bantz"

Talking

This is hilarious! If that idiot wants money from you tell him he can sue if he wants. How pathetic must this guy be?
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

I can't believe you even answered the guy. He's obviously a pathetic crackpot - just cancel his posting priveleges on your board and forget about him. His legal threats are just hot air.
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

*snicker* Well, thats the main reason I replied. Its funny to watch the guy ramble on. I looked up his name on the global ezboard account and he posts on other treads like "Working at home for $11.95/hr" and other ripoff scams.

When it ceases being amuseing, yes. Then the ban ID command will come in handy.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Post Here's an idea

Tell him that while you have no legal obligation to do so, you will take into account his obvious diminished mental faculties and feeling a certain guilt for pandering to his delusions, you will 'pay' his AO character 10 credits a month towards psychiatrist costs.

Oh wait...he never even got into AO....and besides his attempt at claiming copyright on commonly used slang terminology is quite amusing.

See what he says to that...lol.

------

Just checked and this Talbot guy is trying to find one of his original members to 'help' him.

From what I can gather he is claiming that Red Tape as an AO faction name is his 'intellectual' property.....good luck with that since as far as I can tell it didn't exist 'ingame' it seemed to fall apart before more than one member got AO and started a character.

It's a pity that so many oppurtunistic people are in the real world.
    Last edited by Altared; Apr 27th, 2002 at 16:31:53.

Smile lol

That is the funnest thing I have seen yet the guy is trying it dispite knowing zip about law.

First of all there is no way you can copyright a Term like "Red Tape" you would have to register it as a Trade Mark but as your using FC software and under there conditions as you point it would impossibe to do this.

The copyright would protect the material on his website (again this is not straight forward due to local country copyright etc) but unless you have copied his web content, used his pictures etc this would not be the case you cant just copyright the use of a name you dont own. Plus any information about AO and use of their pictures is under Funcoms copyright not yours.

As someone pointed out you cant Trade Mark or Copyright words in common use, like the web or internet, Red Tape is a common term even if it is slag for dealing with documents.

This guy is a joke his website does not even contain a copyright notice on his work so he clearly was not worried about it.

So in basic terms no he does not own the copyright on the term Red Tape. He also cannot claim copyright on the use of Red Tape in AO it does not matter if the game was in beta, or published it is still Funcoms material.

I've locked the tread on the guild messageboard. Since the posting of this the person claiming to be the origional origional founder has made two more posts. His rants have gone from curious, to angry, to threatening, to apologetic, to pleading.

Enough is enough.

Thankyou for your time and input. Now I can get back to planning those peace talks between Omni-Tek and Clans......

I've heard about name campers, but this is the first time I've ever seen a name camper post-facto, as in "I meant to do it but FC never sent my beta 4 info!"

Hey Kithrak:

I thought of your name 35 years ago. ((actually I'm only 32 )) You have violated my rights and I want $12.95 monthly paid to either myself or funcom directly for my compensation of your heinous piracy of my idea. If you do no comply, I will quote U.S. Law, whine, scream, cry, stomp my foot, hold my breath, bash my head against the wall, and make an overall nusisance of myself until I get what I want. I will be contacting the rest of you AO people that have also taken names that I thought of and YOU WILL PAY!!! MUHAHAHAHA

What an idiot!!!
    Nightfear

Proud Veteran of Trinity

I am no lawyer, but in my field I have had some experience with type of issue.

The name "Red Tape" cannot be copyrighted, as there is no actual content to copyright. The name can be, though, Trademarked which requires that it be registered and trademarked through the government (which ever yours may be).

If the poster had written a story titled "Red Tape" then he would have an assumed copyright for the work, although still not as inforcable as a legally registered copyright. if the poster can prove that he Trademarked the name "Red Tape" in direct relation to a Anarchy Online guild or faction name (such as "Coca-Cola" Tradmarked its name in relation to their soft drink), then he might have some ground to complain, although I doubt any actual legal ground.

(example: Batman is a Trademark of Time Warner, the individual stories about Batman are copyright D.C. Comics)
    Last edited by Tuxx; Apr 29th, 2002 at 18:43:17.
    Tuxx - Grid Freak and Closed System Poison Pill, Black Sheep of SRS and Proprietor of The Neon Zebra
    Domu - Lotus on Water, Member of House SRS
    Neon Zebra: A gathering place for the roleplaying community.

ROFL!!

this was fun reading, i also had a guild back in 2000, and i went over all guild sites, never did see "Red Tape" back then
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

"Red Tape" is a crat nano and therefore the name is owned by Funcom, who should sue all of you!

This reminds me of when Avalon Hill tried to claim copyright on the word "Nazi".

Scorus

Really amusing Kithrak
    Oops.. our guildname is copyrighted too...
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Originally posted by Scorus
    "Red Tape" is a crat nano and therefore the name is owned by Funcom, who should sue all of you!

This reminds me of when Avalon Hill tried to claim copyright on the word "Nazi".

Scorus

Oh shiat, God gonna sue my guild Storm.

beta

He implys this was in either alpha or beta.
    As it's not a finished product at that point he has no rights to it.
    Even it he had it post release it is still the property of Funcom.

As far as his intelligence claim....well he's got to have it to lose it.

Any idiot can quote the law and try to claim it applies to his situation, which is precisely what this guy is doing. Its pretty humorous -- it's definitely one of the most humorous legal stories I've seen in a long time.

He can't do anything to you. That's like me trying to claim rights over the expression "stfu mofo", because I said it to some guy on the street a year and a half ago... then trying to make FunCom pay me $1 every time a leet says it -- it just doesn't work that way.

Just ignore him. He's not worth wasting your clearly superior intellect on. Let him bark, cry, and whine all he wants. There's nothing he can do.

lol kith that was good reading
    Rookie Jiggamonkey - 162 Soldier
    Proud member of the MoK
    Proudly Canadian... the land of beer hockey and beavers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast