Thread: A poignant trip to Medusa

A poignant trip to Medusa

The last few weeks I've been feeling a growing sense of sadness when I'm in Rubi Ka: old friends gone missing, more recent friends fading. Having spent untold hours in mission buildings and caves, I got in my Yalm and went to visit the two places I enjoyed most in the growth days of three of my characters: EFP and DAV Medusa.

First off to DAV (3200x2200). I vividly remember the first time I saw the platforms near where the Medusa wandered. Part of me was speechless at its otherworldliness and part was laughing because it reminded me of Marvin the Martian. It was here I first saw the graceful Medusa, and heard their haunting song. Then a snake killed me. Back in the plane for the looooong return trip. A strategy was set and the group tried to figure out how to approach these lovely and deadly ladies. A funny moment was when Hammerstaff, a solemn and serious enforcer, accidently hit the Q button in a typo spaz and started attacking a clanner who was joining our team. Both of them frantically hitting the escape key trying to disengage and both falling all over each other apologizing. Cuffs and I laughing til it hurt. We died a lot there. I remember being so excited by the most beautiful MOB I had seen in game that I dragged my regular dear hunting companion, Zindel, there and we sat on a platform in awe.

EFP, Medusa temple (500x3800) next. I sat in the center of the temple and remembered the many hours I spent there on three characters fighting and dying. Now it's empty, like most outdoor hunting areas in Rubi Ka ... the Medusa singing their haunting song to no one. Unlike DAV, here was open plains, hills, cliffs, where you could actually see the witchy ladies drift over the ground. You had to have a good group, tight, and you had to pull carefully. No nearby save, lots of strategy. High risk and high fun. Sometimes a Mantis would find its way in; we hung in the air in planes and strategized how to drag the thing out of range. And a memorable day a group dragged a pit dragon into the temple. That was the beginning of the end. Some players felt it was inappropriate for others of inferior level to be there, taking advantage of what some felt was easy pickins' (never easy for me or my groups). That same group of spoilsports set in place what finally became the Medusa nerf. Back to 20k. Back to Eye camp and BS and missions.

I miss Medusa, but mostly I miss the people I met and died with there and other places during that time who are no longer around: Cuffs and Buffo and Ldavinci and Weeble and oh so many more. I struggle to stay interested and engaged. Alternatives in the high level game are sparse: you can do missions, you can camp high level mobs. Sure, there are other things to do, but trying to get people you play with regularly to get off the xp treadmill is just about impossible. You step off long enough and they are no longer within practical range and "catching up" becomes a chore, lifeless and compulsive.

There's really no point to this post other than to express some very personal sadness about the "juice" somehow leaking out of the game. Just this week, at least five 150+ people I know have cancelled accounts. More have gone missing. I'll be around; I find plenty of engagement in developing new characters, but I'll miss them and others I don't even know who are gone and whose departure leaves a hole in the rich diversity of people living on our little world.
    Last edited by Inactive User; Apr 26th, 2002 at 15:53:25.

Sad but good post..

Great Post, Stellae,

Thanx to you; I just remembered some really good moments in my AO life..
    Medusas were indeed a great place to hunt.. not only for the xp, but for the mood, the "feeling" you had when you were getting adds, the landscapes, ...
    I remember I hated at first to see Mantis coming..
    then I loved it as it was really a nice "danger feeling"
    then hated it again when I was walking and trying to find my plane..
    .. then when in the sky, the planes ballet was always really fun.

I really wish we could find another fun place like that in the wilderness to hunt.. and I know that some high level players are trying to find one at the moment.

Amanite

Nice

This was a great post, and reminds me of the time I spent @ the meds both in good and bad teams... I was always in EFP at the temple! I remember a good team that would stay together all day could get 3+ levels a day there at the higher levels, and it was A LOT of fun.. Nothing like the endless line of misisons that I now do for XP =) But I am still having a lot of fun in the game and as long as I am, I will play!

Yes those days are gone, we are left with mission after mission. Our guild has lost 3 150's plus these last few days, and to be honest can't blame them, the high level game sucks.

The most fun in this game is undoubtedly between lvl 20 - 120.

Funcom save your game! Fix high level hunting and the high level game, something your have talked about for months and months and yet done nothing about. Your paying customers are bored and sick of missions.

Personally speaking I know lots of people around my level and higher and they are just about hanging in there, hoping for things to improve. I will be joining the current exodus if no positive signs that the high level game is getting fixed and soon.

BUMP this thread till FC listen.
    Xiderpunk - 173 Martial Artist
    Xidder - 147 Crat

Apocalypse

I was brought up on BS missions, but OH BOY would I like a chance to hunt meds.

Bump
    If you can't beat them, Hit them in the face with a wrench

Rubirango

Ive always wanted to hunt medusas fo a while but nobody is willing too go with me.

Either than Hating males, what are they like now? Harder? Less xp? tell me!

Re: A poignant trip to Medusa

Originally posted by Stellae
    Sure, there are other things to do, but trying to get people you play with regularly to get off the xp treadmill is just about impossible. You step off long enough and they are no longer within practical range and "catching up" becomes a chore, lifeless and compulsive.
    So True! I couldn't have said it better (and didn't )

It's too bad that more people don't bother stopping to smell the roses on their journey to 200.

Oh well, just my opinion.
    Last edited by SanFran_Fitz; Apr 28th, 2002 at 00:23:22.
    "Hey, hey now. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean.
    'Cause, remember, no matter where you go..... there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    Ive always wanted to hunt medusas fo a while but nobody is willing too go with me.

Either than Hating males, what are they like now? Harder? Less xp? tell me!
    They are much harder now. I forget the numbers but those buggers hit HARD.

They are still doable, but unfortunately the payoff is also less. 40k-60k xp even for elites if I remember correctly. =(

It's just not worth it anymore from a pure leveling standpoint, but I had a good time out there anyway. It was a nice change of pace for a few kills.
    182 NT

Calming is just a hobby I dabble in, my real passion is blowing stuff up.

Post poignant and oh so true ...

Stellae,
    Thanks for penning that and sharing it. I haven't hunted Medusas yet so I missed out on that aspect but I can certainly identify with large portions of your post nevertheless.

Herein lies the crux. The day the Toymaker and The Storyteller loses Empathy with their audience is the day they lose their audience ... and that day has already arrived.
    Ino
    rolling leet, crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Pioneer rifle/crossbow Vanguard with a personal sidearm and a campstove
    Atlantean

AO Adventurer Professional (2003-2004)

Map design suggestion for mapmakers

Recently a group of friends and guildies went to the EFP Medusas just to see what it was like to hunt now we were higher level. We had 1 group of 5 of us all 160 - 170.

We hunted there for about 2 hours and made 1.4mil xp.. so therefore decided that the XP was no way comparable to doing a mission. Real shame.

The medusas do hit harder and have more hp's than they used to be and also provide alot less xp.

As a hunting ground it has been completely nerfed and not a valid hunting option.
    Xiderpunk - 173 Martial Artist
    Xidder - 147 Crat

Apocalypse

Damm shame. Practicly the most fun I had in the games was out hunting medusa's with my guild.
    Fausto Biggfoo Clyburn

Are you some kind of robot? And if so what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for Good? or for Awesome?

ahh medusas!
    The xp was fenomenal, the risk was high and a good team was essential. Those where the days!
    You had DAV medusas for very fast xp but allso the added risk of getting ambushed by other players.
    You had efp medusas for great fun and good xp and mort cyborgs.

Now there is city of home!

Hunting medusas was fun.

IT was dangerous... and with no save terminal nearby, u can lose XP as fast as u gain them :P

Unfortunately,.... it is better to do mission for XP nowadays, coz in missions, u get to save, u get BETTER xp, and u get LOOT and TOKENS as well.

Oh >sigh<

right before the meds got nerfed, I discovered BS. Not as laggy and great missions to blitz for xp. I didnt care about med's because xp was so much better in the missions.

Boy do I regret that now, SSDD pretty much on rubi-ka.
    Santacharm
    Enforcer

Sopprano
    Fixer
    Metthias
    Meta Physicist

Great post to bad it will ignored like most posts about luck of outdor hunting spots.

AO is all about missions now it used to be more fun in october then now. Even with good reward in team misions and promise to add special items that boss loot only.

I would realy love to go to hunt in DAV or EFp just for change not silly endless same misions.

I even would lvoe to roll to full chaos to get something different from humanoid NPC but well its hard to kill sand manits hive guardians....

I only hunted at medusas 3 times couse i was claner but that was best times of all even when i didnt hunt there i could always come and gank some omnis who hunted there..

My brother and my friend left the game after medusas nerf and every time i start the game i am asking what its gonna be like entering 20k and finding answer to all my questions.

/s team looking for more for ql 190 mission.

People dont have that spirit of adventuring and having fun they like good, easy and same Xp only they dont realaize that after lvl 150 its boring...
    Two sisters practicing medicine on Rubika and Shadowlands Pomy and Julka.

As a doctor i would prescribe you to use some common sense and a vacation to Real Life"

If i ever start a new character in Eve i will choose a name something like "aieerjjnnvajjnasdio11e3".