Thread: A New Look At The Newland Guard Initiative

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

A New Look At The Newland Guard Initiative

A New Look At The Newland Guard Initiative
    Korev Jurik

New Land City (IRRK) -- Few things rouse a neutral citizen of Rubi-Ka faster than three simple letters: NGI. This acronym has come to represent the drive for freedom and independence that the clans so often claim is theirs alone.

"It is very clear that a change is needed, and quick," said neutral citizen Gonoc earlier this week. "We cannot let Warr and her thugs make Newland a ghost town, as it is already."

Originally organized by well-known Omni-Tek employee Kithrak and two neutral fixers Itel and Pyromanche, the Newland Guard Initative seeks to replace Loren Warr and her Omni-aligned mercenaries with guards loyal to the neutral cause -- if one can truly be claimed.

Among those groups in support of the Newland Guard Initiative is Rubi-Ka Universal Robots, perhaps best known for their work on the neutral token board technology stolen by cyborgs. Working with Circle G, RUR has developed the "GuardMaster G," a robotic guard demonstrated Friday in Borealis.

"We at RUR are very excited about this project," said RUR head Dabblez. "I think it is something the neutral community wants, and I think our robots can do a superb job."

But not everyone is as enthusiastic about the Newland Guard Initiative as Dabblez. "I couldn't care less about Newland," said Cygnos, a clanner whom I spoke with earlier. "Burn the city for all I care. Tir, and the regions around Athen, are where I belong."

Some aren't so willing to resort to violence however. "The neutral faction felt that due to [Simon Silverstone banning neutrals from Tir], they needed to respond in kind," said Omni-Tek employee Xelev about the NGI. "But an eye for an eye doesn't always solve the problem, does it?"

Xelev may be right about that. Hiring Loren Warr to ban Clanners from Newland may well only perpetuate the cycle of violence that makes Rubi-Ka the endless battleground it is today. If so, the Newland Guard Initative is indeed the best option, both to resolve the problem of Tir and to bring back the crowds that once greeted the visitor to Newland.

So long as Loren Warr remains in charge of Newland's defense, Cygnos is right. For all its one-time glory, Newland may as well be as ash upon the wind.

As bad as the current situation is, we can not rush into a solution without making sure it's the right one. That is what got us into this untennable situation in the first place. We are taking our time, and I think it's a good thing, to solve this problem.
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

I find it curious that noone seems to remember why the guards where hired in the first place. It originated when neutrals were attacked all over Rubi-Ka by clanners. Even today neutral citicens have to fear for their lives when they meet clan guards. It was only logical that steps were taken to make sure a save place for neutrals excists, where clan could not attack them.

It is curious that people want to allow clanners back in neutral cities while clan guards still attack any neutral on sight.
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

Good point, Dyna18! As a clanner, I say "let the neutrals return to Clan cities." Let trade and commerce grow. Tir and Newland are both deserted dustbowls right now. We need each other.
    Zhik

War is not its own end, except in some catastrophic slide into absolute damnation. It's peace that's wanted. Some better peace than the one you started with.
    Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Vor Game", 1990

54.76190476190476% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Said it before, saying it again. The NGI has my support. Newland City used to be such a living city, now it´s just a ghost town except to the Newland Hill.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Well, its seems obvious to me that some clanners don't support the measure of violence as an answer, myself included.

I never supported clan guards attacking anyone but Omni invaders, and vice versa. I actually support making them not killable by your own faction, due to the fact that its bad for morale to see the elites of each faction killing hapless guards for sport or pleasure. Newland guards should either kill anyone but neutrals, OR anyone who fights inside the city limits.
    Ilikebots The only toon I care to play. My not-so-uber gear [UERK]
    I come bringing tradeskills. You should come bringing creds. Why? Just browse the shopping channel for PPPEs and weapon improvement discs. Its a two way street

Originally posted by Dyna18
    I find it curious that noone seems to remember why the guards where hired in the first place. It originated when neutrals were attacked all over Rubi-Ka by clanners. Even today neutral citicens have to fear for their lives when they meet clan guards. It was only logical that steps were taken to make sure a save place for neutrals excists, where clan could not attack them.

It is curious that people want to allow clanners back in neutral cities while clan guards still attack any neutral on sight.
    The guards are not "Clan" guards. They are "Sentinel" guards. There is a difference. Neutrals were allowed into Tir freely beore the Sentinels, I even used to team with them when I was around TL4 and 5. So before you go lumping people together, think about who your lumping.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Originally posted by Fixerben

The guards are not "Clan" guards. They are "Sentinel" guards. There is a difference. Neutrals were allowed into Tir freely beore the Sentinels, I even used to team with them when I was around TL4 and 5. So before you go lumping people together, think about who your lumping.
    Yep I remember back when Wickam was at the whompahs in Tir that you helped me and other neuts get to a meeting in Tir by... neutralizing those guards. Not all clans support the sentinels that is clear. We should continue to work together to bring an end to these thugs on both sides.
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

I have to say Dyna18 is almost 100% incorrect. There are 3 specific areas where he is wrong.

1) Only the Sentinels attack neutrals on sight. Most Clan guards let us come and go as we please. (If only their vendors were willing to accept our credits!)

2) I've always been free to travel freely in any clan territory, with the exception of Tir. This is because Tir is the only clan city where the Sentinels hold any real power, and I can still travel through most of the city as long as I avoid two specific areas.

3) Neutrals as a group did not decide to put the hired thugs in Newland city. I'm only aware of two organizations who funded the mercenaries, and most neutrals I know were opposed to this action from the very beginning.

bah, enough of all the nutpicking. It's time we took off the silk gloves when dealing with issues like this. Clan attacks having been rising fast. Both by the Dust Brigade, as by so called 'peaceful' organisations. Only recently in a massive strike 5 Omni notum mining operations have been destroyed. And Dust brigade attacks even take place inside the cities now.

Any clanner wearing a weapon is a terrorist in my book. And it's time to bring a stop to them. We tried it with talking.... now it's time to use some more persuasive action!
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

Dyna18: you are more then welcome to try look me up in tir or do you want a housecall ?.

As for the directive.. id be happy to se Loren Warr back in EFP where she belongs id be happy to be able to walk the streets of newland again without having some black clad psycho running after me with murder on his mind
    Zynical 215 Clan ma
    Kerish 186 Clan Agent

Originally posted by ZOiD
    Dyna18: you are more then welcome to try look me up in tir or do you want a housecall ?.
    Why, so you can have your buddies waiting to jump me, once I set a foot in your trap?

Omni-Tek is your friend!