Thread: no one here but memory and me...

No one there but memory and me...

The night had fallen on Old Athen, those cold desert nights had always set me to shivering, the wind, howling in that desert of destruction always carried with it, a sense of loss from the battered and torn buildings outside of it.

Wandering aimlessly, for how long, I cannot know, because thought stopped me and consciousness came forth. A torrent of memories washed over me as I realized where I was.

Here I was... a world apart now, from this very spot where this young woman slept and hid from this great world full of wonderful people, beautiful sights and wary guards, whom were very frightening at the time.

The building I stood at, nearly ransacked from the wandering scavengers whose only mission seemed to be collecting little pieces of whatever technology they could. Its walls blasted and worn away from the struggle where the clans took this city stood in some grotesque mockery, as if Omni had imbued its walls with resolute defiance and one day, they would reclaim this place.

*a soft smile*…one day.

I found myself sitting, back to the wall, knees pulled tight into my chest, head resting on my crossed arms, gun dangling lazily from my loose grasp. The memories were so clear; it felt as if I were living them all over again.

Tir and the feeling of truly being lost, Sentinels chasing me for petty theft, raiding my apartment, capture and escape. The nights spent on this very spot, shivering cold, afraid to light a fire because it might draw attention to the less desirable element that can be found in any city. Even though I lived on the street, I had a very comfortable existence. I learned to like the shift in daily routine, it made sure I was entirely unpredictable…and that’s how I’ve lived for a long time. The only predictable thing is the lack of predictability…or so I’ve heard it said. This spot though…was my only predictable idiosyncrasy. I would always seem to end up here no matter what.

No walls, except one to lean against, the soft groans of the building, resonating in my ears quietly as it settled, swayed or whatever it is that buildings do when they’re bored. Columns to break up or slightly hide someone behind them…an ideal spot. Somewhere open, somewhat protected, out of the way and quiet. Life became tolerable.

I think about it all, and as comfortable as I ever was in Tir or West Athen, I’ve always been comfortable in Old Athen. It’s an idea to me of what we face in the future, and a sobering reminder that as comfortable as I feel there, it is the same way in any Omni city. As a matter of fact, if it weren’t for the completely insensitive guards whose single-minded purpose is shown whenever I approach to within a few paces of them, I would love to live in one for a while at least.

Highrise 10, Omni Ent is where I can be found on occasion, lounging on the sofas, or looking out over the city…a marvel of perverse order and engineering. The guide there seems to have become tolerant of my presence even though sometimes she still yells at me for being there…therefore fulfilling her requirement to Omni-Tek should a clanner show herself.

I’m sorry…I seem to have begun rambling, but I’m sure that’s not uncommon. I suppose I may have had a point here, but it is lost on me at the moment.

-Taren
    Last edited by Astera; Jan 8th, 2004 at 18:51:16.