Thread: Expansion Pack-Official Word

Expansion Pack-Official Word

From June 2002 issue, PC Gamer magazine (All rights reserved, no permission was gained for this transcription):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More Online, Hold the Anarchy

It’s been a wild year for Funcom. First the Norwegian developer/publisher released Anarchy Online last June, and MMORPG that even they admit was so hideously broken that few players could successfully play it at launch. They fixed it, slowly regaining lost credibility and ultimately winning PC Gamer’s Best Massively Multiplayer Game of 2001 award. Now, Funcom is preparing AO’s first expansion pack.

Shooting for a Christmas 2002 release, Funcom says that the soon-to-be named add-on will embellish the existing conflict between the Omni Corporation and the Rebel Clans on the world of Rubi-Ka.

Says AO Online Services Director Henning Solberg: “The expansion will, among other things, uncover why the resurrection technology works only on Rubi-Ka and nowhere else in the universe. You’ll find out that something is happening to you in the white light floating from your corpse before you’re resurrected at the save point. You’ll also discover a new world – a shadow realm!”

Besides adding planes of existence to the game, the add-on will also introduce a major new city to explore – Jobe – plus new static dungeons and quests, new weapons and armor, modifications of the four existing character breeds, and new visual effects.

Though Funcom won’t institute new professions in the add-on, it will establish “profession specializations” for your in-game avatar. “At certain stages in their career, any profession may choose areas in which to specialize,” explains Solberg. “They’ll keep all existing abilities while branching off into a specialization. New titles will also be available for you.”

A special “perk” system will also be introduced. Earned through quests or by following special instructions, perks can augment your skills or provide special abilities, such as increasing your hit points or giving you the power to teleport back to your start city.

Solberg also told us that changes are afoot in Rubi-Ka whether you buy the expansion pack or not. During the next few months, you can expect patches to enhance Anarchy Online’s functionality and ease of use by implementing a new in-game tutorial and help system, a personal digital assistant, and changes to the character-creation process. Future patches will also see the introduction of multi-level dungeons, an innovation that AO supporters have been demanding for months.

We have a lot of cool features in the works,” Solberg told us. “We’ll definitely keep PCG readers informed as more features are added.”
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy I love having a subscription to PCG. Figures that they find out about it before we do. Oh well, looks like I'm gonna have to shell out some Christmas money this year!

Catch ya planetside.
    Nakomis
    101 Opi MA RK1
    In Search of a Friendly Helpful Guild

Wistler
    53 Sol Engie RK1
    President of NFC

Catch ya planetside...

Sweet! Put this stuff in, and I will be a happy doctor!

AO got a future! Nice to know...

Only thing that worries me is that stuff about the breeds. Will the obviously gimped breeds get no fix before christmas? And do we have to pay for the fix of the breeds?

Im going to buy that pack anyway, I just hope FC will fix the breeds regardless of the adds they have in that pack.
    NT phone HOME!!

How long ago was it that Cosmik or Cz said undeniably that there were no plans for an expansion pack? 2 months? 3 months?

Scorus

Maybe they had no plans 2 or 3 months ago. And then...they made some plans!

I think we can all agree that Cosmik and Cz dont seem to be too, eh, 'on top of things'

PCG can get in trouble for printing things that are false, so I would belive them over our 'beloved' (heh) moderators.

Bring on the expansion! Man that sounds cool as heck!

The Other infamous engi

Jettie

".... no soup for you!..."

This expansion will keep me in AO.

OMFG.

But winter 2002? God damn... makes sense, from marketting... but it is a reeeeal long time to wait for some of these things.

Still, it is good to hear that we HAVE a future that is being developed.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

That's some good news.
    With some serious content AO has a great potential, I just hope it will come fast because the repeated and almost identical missions are boring in the long run.

Talking Sounds good!

But... 'New visual effects.'

I suspect it might be time to get a Geforce 4 Ti before Christmas, as I think the graphics will be rather demanding on my auld GF2Ti.

The list of features sent my spirits soaring, however.
    Now we -do- have something to look forward to.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Two quick points.

Ok I had two quick points I wanted to bring up on this expansion pack.

1) Though Funcom won’t institute new professions in the add-on, it will establish “profession specializations” for your in-game avatar. “At certain stages in their career, any profession may choose areas in which to specialize,” explains Solberg. “They’ll keep all existing abilities while branching off into a specialization. New titles will also be available for you.”

This sounds like a great idea except for one little problem. What about all of our characters who are at lvl 200 or close to lvl 200 by the time the expansion pack comes out in December? Do we have to reroll these characters to take advantage of these profession specializations? I consider myself a casual gamer, I work 40+ hours a week, take a few night class during the week, and have a decent social life. Having said all this my current character is now up to lvl 53 (would have been 55 by now but I have lost 100,000+ ip and 80,000+ ip to deaths this week), I rerolled her many times, the last time near the end of March. I can easily see a good percentage of the current player base maxing or getting close to maxing thier toons by the end of the summer.

2) I would imagine that if we did a little looking around we would find that the next crop of MMORPG will be releasing around this time as well. Shadowbane has been in beta for a while now and I believe someone mentioned that Star Wars would also release near Christmas. To me, the release of an expansion pack that Funcom vehemently deigned on these boards a few months ago is a direct responce to the the release of these new MMORPG.