Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Pack-Official Word

That Explains It!

Now it is painfully obvious why, after a year, the game balance issues aren't fixed. Funcom has been busy working on what is sure to be a bug filled expansion to a game that is still plagued with many issues. I think it would be much more to everyone's liking to fix the current problems rather than intoduce even more.

Or you know what? instead of looking at things in a negative, light, perhaps this will be the expansion pack that puts AO in the glory it was originally supposed to be? I like expansion packs personally, especially in an mmorpg. Everquest has had what, like 55 x-packs released (exaggeration)? each one adds new areas, items, etc. It keeps things fresh and gives us something to do....and yes, it makes the game better.

How many expansion packs has half life had? Opposing force, blue shift, counter strike, team fortress (ok those last 2 are mods) and it brings us back into the world we know and love with new things to explore. For once, i got something to look forward to in AO again!

I know, I know, we're all probably gonna be playing star wars galaxies when it comes out, but you know what? SW galaxies already has an expansion pack planned, even before it's released! So this is actually the one thing we should STFU on and enjoy. lord knows i bash the idiots at funcom whenever I can, but this is the one time I can actualy stand up and applaud them! Profession tweakage? nice! So let's say we have a netaphysicist. He or She could be an MP that specializes in nano programming, combat, healing, etc. I like the sound of that!

Talking Can't wait :)

Well, I can't wait. Hopefully it's a great expansion that will add some interesting things to a maturing, fun game.

Now, to throw my hat into the ring... so to speak.

To those who say SWG will kill AO, you could be right. But that has been said about almost every developing mmorpg versus an existing one, and not one mmorpg has shut down (even UO which surprise me to no end).

SWG looks like it might be a fun game, but let me remind you that the lead desiner for SWG is Raulph Koster (I hope I spelled that right) who was also the lead designer for UO, known then as Designer Dragon. I personally think he is a brilliant man, especially after meeting and speaking with him. But, that aside, he does not always make the best long-term decisions (anyone remember archers in UO?). So I wouldn't bet money on a smooth or balanced launch of SWG.

An expansion spliting the world... maybe somewhat but I doubt in any harmful way. I honestly think most players will buy it, as long as it remains around the $30 mark.

With the changes that have been made, I seriously doubt that they have live team members totally involved with the expansion's design. With all the work that both involve they would never sleep.

Should they have told us there was an expansion coming before the rest of the world? Why? Really, other than to stroke your ego and make you feel special, why?

Finally, something I've learned in visited these boards since the beginning days; no matter what happens and no matter what changes a majority here will continue to rant, yell and complain.
    Tuxx - Grid Freak and Closed System Poison Pill, Black Sheep of SRS and Proprietor of The Neon Zebra
    Domu - Lotus on Water, Member of House SRS
    Neon Zebra: A gathering place for the roleplaying community.

Just saw this comment on the AO Basher comments thread regarding this, thought it was particularly funny.

"We found Jobe--it's in your wallet!"

I'm looking forward to an expansion. ~$30 extra is totally fine with me, the game will be improved and the experince enhanced.

I've gone through most of these messages on the board here about upcoming expansion pack. Many of you have complained and whined about lots of things including gameplay issues, bugs, etc... I've just got one thing to say to all of you.... CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT! If you're not having fun, and all you can do is waste your time on this board b*tching and moaning about how bad the game is, why are you even playing it?

Bunch of crybabies...Verant has come out with 3 expansions, soon to be 4; EQ is still kicking. UO has come out with a few, one which added a carebear facet to each shard, and it's still kicking. AC is coming out with a sequel.

Funcom "dares" to announce an expansion and they get slammed for it...
    Last edited by Ulujain; Apr 25th, 2002 at 21:21:02.

Originally posted by Syzygium
    Bunch of crybabies...Verant has come out with 3 expansions, soon to be 4; EQ is still kicking. UO has come out with a few, one which added a carebear facet to each shard, and it's still kicking. AC is coming out with a sequel.
    I'm new to MMORPGs, how are these expansions beta-tested? Do they select beta testers who then make copies of current AO and then load the expansion and play it?

Scorus

Originally posted by Railgunz
    You know, alot of these things like breed balance and JOBE were supposed to be implimented A LONG TIME AGO. SCREW that, why should I shell out money for something that was supposed to be part of the product I bought off the shelf?

Did you ever see the frist verson of EQ?

"5 large landmasses to expore!" funny.. there was only 3.

I say WTG to funcom, expainsions are the way to go, and I can't wait for the new "planes"

*hopes the planes are not high lvl death-feast zones)

If it has more interesting things for high lvl players to do, better housing (guild and personal), and territory capture, I'm sold on it. Paying what will most likely be around 30 bucks for an expansion is no big deal to me.

I don't mind paying up for something that I will enjoy as entertainment. 1 month of AO is less than 2 tickets to a movie, and that doesnt include something to eat or drink. Its less than 1 night out to dinner. Hell, I fill up my car's gas tank every 2.5 days at 15 bucks a pop. Development isn't free, and if I see improvements like I stated above in it, I'd gladly pay for it.

Altaire

Good luck w/the expansion pack development, hope all goes well.

New expansion

Cool. I was wondering what they had planned for people who had gotten to level 200. Christmas 2002, too. Thats plenty of time to get some patches done, and then some. I wonder if they will be letting people beta-test the expansion on the test server...?

*looks around*

Was someone complaining about something?

*scratches head*

Seems kinda odd..

I do remember someone here earlier mentioning about a car salesman being honest.. that's funny.. over here in the colonies, a car salesman is stereotyped as being the least honest individual to do business with..

Anyhow, all sarcasm aside, why not actually wait till something solid comes of all of this before casting stones?
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

*Sigh* Guess I better start saving for this "patch".

I don't mind paying for an expansion. If it adds to the game, that's great. My only fear is that it will be something like the EQ expansions that were designed specifically for high-level characters. It was very disappointing then to shell out the money and then be denied access to the zones because I didn't have the time to level up to their requirements. I am hoping that Funcom thinks about this before the release the expansion. Sure some people are gonna get separated by not having the expansion, but you plan for those things. That's what friends and teammates do, they work together so that everyone can enjoy themselves. Anyway, it is a long way in the future, I am going to continue to enjoy the game now.

this pack will be a good thing and breath new life in AO. I will pay 30$ and besides what other MMORPG that has been around awhile has not had one?
    Salutusmax- doctor
    Redtaped-crat(dormant)
    Onmi-af-academy
    Rimor(RK2)

I'm new to MMORPGs, how are these expansions beta-tested? Do they select beta testers who then make copies of current AO and then load the expansion and play it?

Scorus
    I am not sure about other games, but when Verant tests their expansion packs, they use the players that spend the most time on the test server.

My only fear is that it will be something like the EQ expansions that were designed specifically for high-level characters.
    Only Velious was specifically designed for higher level characters. Both Kunark and Luclin where designed for players of all levels. My biggest fear is that Funcom would do something like the "Legends" server that Verant has done.

Now the goal of Funcom is to have me playing the game till Christmas.

Red face My 2 cents

Well. I have been playing AO for about 4 months now....it was my first MMORPG or whatever the hell the initials are.......Diablo2 doesn't count because.....well......it just doesn't.......I come from a long history of FPS games, did all the Dooms, Duke Nukems, Quakes and pretenders, Unreal, UT, Tribes 1 & 2.....you get the picture. What attracted me to this game and not EQ or AC or any of the others was the science (fiction) part of the game. Trolls, fairies and the like just don't cut it for me, grew outta that on the commodore 64 playing stuff like Bards Tale, etc.....the roleplaying is the main thing for me, if I want to PvP I go to a real PvP game like UT or Tribes.....so the storyline and role playing are the thing. Since I've been playing, i missed the one event I knew about because of time difference, and really, haven't heard about much else other than player events, which lately everyone is getting tired of doing, because it seems Funcom doesn't care to add them to the storyline as promised......I already lost a couple of my fps buddies off Rubi-Ka cuz they found it too boring...and nothing different seemed to be on the horizon. I have hopes the exp pack will help things out in this area, if it turns out to just be another knife blade in the players side just to keep the money rolling in, I may opt out after a time as will a lot of people, if what I read here is any indication. I did just kinda get into this as a warm up for Planetside, another around-the-corner game that may kick the crap outta AO, Star Wars is not the only upcoming option friends....but I have made some great friends in the game, and how many people can say they chat/interact with people from all over the planet earth on a nightly (or whatever) basis....

So....have fun while you can, when it stops being fun, move on...

Folks, something to try to keep in mind here while you're ranting and raving...

EQs expansions (how many have their been? 5? 6?) have never been priced too high..generally $19.99-$29.99 USD. And they have NOT upped the monthly fees either.

So for those of you who are thinking you're going to be paying more per month, stop it..you wont.

Yes, it is a little bit of an expense to get Jobe and all the other goodies (heh..you can tell what Im looking forward to, eh?), but if you've played EQ, UO and AC (dont they have an expansion now too, or one coming?), this is nothing new to you, and it's how the game companies are working now.

With the target date of Christmas, that gives FC 8 months to get all the current problems worked out (or at least some major fixes in), as well as test the new stuff to make sure it's not gonna be FUBAR when it does get released.

Someone mentioned that the expansion developers are NOT the same as the developers who're working on what we have now, and generally that is true. Im not sure if that IS the case with FC or not, but if it is, then there shouldnt be any worries...

Folks, I know it's tough, but we've got 8 months to wait for the expansion...why not relax a little and give em some time to get some work done?
    Commander Barron
    Prime Director: Omni-1 Operations
    2nd in Command
    Division 9 [R.S.G.E]
    barron@rsge.net
    Click Here to Visit the ALL NEW Division 9 Website

Expansion

Actually, I'm going to be jittery about the expansion just because I want all the kewl stuff now.

Instant gratification - now now now now.

Oh well, this brings back the old days of wanting Christmas to come all that much sooner.

/me starts feeling nostalgic.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast