Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: can i be pvp exempt

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Simple question: why don't you go fight people who actually might be in the game to PvP?
    Sorry d00d, I always look for pvp. Id gladly accept challenge from anyone regardless of lvl, profession, title to a fair fight. In fact, Im always the one asking for duel first, less than 20% would reply yes, most would just pretend to be afk, and give whatever crap reasons.

Like i said, you have ur option to NOT exp in political/mayhem zone. You should assume all risks when you step in such zone. I can only attack lvl 75+ peeps, so its safe to assume none of my victims is new to AO. Well, if your one, let me give you a hint, press F9, it will tell you what suppression gas your in.

I gave you advice that I think might help you if you insist on exping in political/mayhelm zone. but you came here just to flame. You can flame all you want. Ive said all i wanted to say. Ive not done anything wrong.

Wenzell
    Holder of 300+ exp pinkies.

You have done something wrong by breaking the standard morals of warfare. You have done something wrong by imposing your will on other people.

You have done something wrong. It may be allowed by the game rules but in terms of humanity you have wronged other people. I don't care how trivial this may seem in terms of it 'only being a game'. Fact is that within the game you do things that are morally against the ethics of civilization.

It's up to you to live with the results of killing other people's characters who have no desire to fight you. It is up to you to live with the idea that you impose your will upon other people who are unwilling and incapable of defending themselves against your superior firepower.

Don't say you haven't done anything wrong when you have. Soldiers fight wars, not civilians. If you want to feel proud as a soldier on the planet of Rubi'Ka then fight other soldiers. Don't feel proud that you killed people just passing through or trying to make a living. That is nothing to be proud of.

If I were a soldier defending my territory and a family came passing through looking for deer to hunt or were taking a shortcut to visit family, I would not whip out a hand grenade and kill them all. If that were the case, I would expect to be reviled by society and in fact probably kicked out of my own unit.

What you people do to people who mean you no harm is disgusting. If you want that kind of free-for-all there are games for you where everybody EXPECTS to get fired at. You might like Counter Strike. I hear it's popular.

I often take missions to 25%-0% zones, by doing so I'm taking a calculated risk but most of the time I'm the only one in the area (yes I do play at the US prime time as well even if I do not live there). It is easy to avoid being PKd, don't go to the PVP areas, if you camp mission terminal enough you will get a mission for the thing you need on some other area sooner or later.

And no, I still do not do PVP. This is of course not an invitation to try to kill me in PVP zones either *ahem*.

EDIT: Wake up people. There's a war out there, we're all soldiers in the war whether we want it or not. There's two different factions for a reason. If I fly across a PVP zone I expect everyone on the opposite faction to go after me if they can, and would do the same myself. Would it be fun if everyone asked you "oh sir, would you mind if I attacked you or are you too busy for a little fight right now".
    Last edited by peekaboo; Apr 25th, 2002 at 23:46:05.

Bio, folks don't go hunting deer in a warzone. Family's don't go for Sunday Picnics out in Mort. Everyone became a soldier from the moment they chose a side, picked up a gun or leet doll, strapped on thier armor and made the decision to walk into the political zones. There are no innocents in political zones.

If you want to stay a "civie" and stay out of the war that is going on, stay out of the war zones.

Oh, and relax, Wenzell hasn't done anything wrong except take down enemies who willingly put themselves into harms way.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Well as a neutral I tend to be on everyones hit lists.
    And yes I do get ganked, often enough to annoy me a lot.

When you zone out of the grid and get hit by a root before you can get away you know your in trouble. (and as an engie in a yalm, I have little to protect myself with)

To say that you can get through the game without going to 25% or 0% areas is like staying to can live without ever leaving the house.

The problem is not the areas, but the grid exits where the gankers camp.

I personally feel that these people are exploiting the game, these areas are so that fights can take place, not so that people can take down travellers who can't respond.

I would like a flare to set off as I exit the grid, to blind all pvpers.

oh and while I'm off on a rant, could someone explain why people gank? are these people would be bullies who can't in RL so take it out in game? what is the psych of someone who gets there kicks from other peoples missery?

Lightbulb Missions to 75% zones

PVP-safe missions are pretty easy to get from the
    right terminals.

For example, Newland City terminals often give missions
    to Clon****, Pleasant Meadows, and Broken Shores
    (Home) even at high level. The tough missions to far-away
    25% and 0% zones tend to come from terminals
    in major aligned cities.
    Strycker, OT NT
    Member of AOR RK-1
    Mundus vult decipi, decipiatur

Originally posted by L1V1D
    The problem is not the areas, but the grid exits where the gankers camp.

I personally feel that these people are exploiting the game, these areas are so that fights can take place, not so that people can take down travellers who can't respond.
    I think the grace period finally works right (at least I've not noticed it *not* working anymore). FC has decided to have certain grid exits in a 25% or even 0% areas, so it is like you'd be saying "oh gee, you know I think those guards in that <opposite faction> city are exploiting the game, they killed me right when I gridded in". Sure I can't fight back if I am in my yalm and might get killed before I get far enough but you won't hear me complain, it was my choice to go to a dangerous area.

All of the planet is not safe to go and it's good that way. You bought a game where there's a conflict between two big player factions, what do you expect? Nice 100% planet for all to walk in, pick flowers and and have picnics together?

Blah, I hate PvP in this game. Kids wired on Mountain Dew out trying to ruin the fun of other players.... I'll pass.
    Last edited by Tomasin; Apr 26th, 2002 at 05:33:38.

You sound like you might be one of the jackasses who kill people for no reason other than you can. It's people like you who give PvP in AO a bad name. Simple question: why don't you go fight people who actually might be in the game to PvP? Then you can BOTH have fun.
    No actually it's U who whine about it that does!

The problem with the conflict in AO is that it is unstructured. People just run around killing other people indiscriminately. I'm sure if the designers had enough time and didn't have to release the game so quickly we'd be in better shape.
    U cant be killed by other players in 75% or 100% so why dont u stay there...

When George Washington was waiting to cross the Delaware, he didn't have rogue members of his unit decide to go run off on their own and start killing random Brits. These people would very likely have faced courtmarshall or discipline at the very least. An assault is called on by the leader of the Army.

When the Allies were going to land on Omaha Beach, can you imagine what would have happened if some rogue group decided to cross the channel the day before and attack? Or what if some loner decided to head over and run around the beachfront fortifications killing Gerries and shouting 'I ownzored j00'?

On the other side of the coin, back to the American Revolution. We didn't kill Loyalists or British citizens simply because they were walking in New Jersey or Connecticut. If some snobby Fox Hunt were going on in Rhode Island, the local Militia did not murder the Loyalists who were off on a weekend holiday. They probably just smacked them with the butt of their guns and told them to go back to town. Now, if it were British Troops ambushed in a woodland camp, violence would surely ensue.
    But when U dropped 2 nukes in Japan in WW2 killing only civilians it was ok....

AO's PvP system is just stupid. It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't encourage war and discourages any kind of structured group PvP. The title system promotes single-player ganking. Like a fish, it stinks from the head.
    Well title hunters dont bother to mutch killing untitled players....

Proper PvP needs to be driven by the story and be accompanied with specific goals and/or impetus. Killing people in Mort simple because 'I can' is so stupid it's not funny. Clanners in Mort are simply walking around on land that was rightfully left for them to govern by the Tir Accord signed by no less than Phillip Ross himself. Can you see the stupidity of some stupid 150+ Omni character running around in Mort wiping out groups of lvl90 hunters? Can you not see that this person is a murderer in-character and probably a jerk in real life? You wonder why they are called 'griefers'.
    Nah...they are actually doing doing a job for OT making Clan lvl slower....

The game must be enhanced to provide a real reason to PvP. Capturing an outpost is nice. But, that's no real reason. The other side will capture it back in a week. Big deal.
    The best reason is that PvP somtimes is actually fun

People from the Clans need to get a call to arms from no less than Henry Radiman himself. They need to be told that a particular area must be defended and/or captured. The storyline MUST reflect this. The results of the battle MUST be accounted for in the Story. The objective MUST be big and guards ought to be spawned and the suppression gas set to 75%. The message boards should light up for a couple weeks as the victors pat each other on the back and the political fallout ensues.
    Well i think ppl is gona sitt around wait for an event once a week...

Murderers such as those who kill hunting parties in EFP, SFH, Mort, etc. should be reprimanded by their respective Faction. Murder as War has never been endorsed by any civilized society. I doubt this will change in 27,000 years. FunCom needs to implement a less severe penalty to simulate 'arrest'.
    well...Murderers? they are conducting strikes agains the other faction to make xp for them making theyr own faction stronger.... it like in rl conflicts...u try take out enemy infrastructure....

The murder at the pyjama party the other night was simply stupid. FunCom needs to implement an 'arrest' nano that sends people back to their startup city or implement a severely less severe penalty for death of a character who dies without fighting back in a 25% zone. Why should the lvl175 who kills the poor lvl80 Fixer looking for his Grid Armor by killing plants in EFP be rewarded? He should be reviled by all factions of society except the mentally disturbed.
    Rolf!

Simple changes here, FunCom. Bring us the PvP patch and maybe some people will give it a shot. Leave it as it is and the majority of your playerbase with NEVER, ever, EVER, embrace the violence versus other players element of your game. NEVER. People raised in today's society as a general rule will not kill without purpose. People for the most part in real life do not join the Army to be able to kill other people. They do it to have a hand in defending whatever ideals they subscribe to.

That jackass up in Mort or at Ace Camp is NOT defending any ideals In-Character or Out-. He's simply satisfying some RL deficiency either mental, biochemical, or otherwise.
    Lol, man ur not for real....he migh be an jackass, but he have fun with it......and ur not forced to go there and give him his kills....

AO = Anarchy Online!

Get that?

Its pathetic that when people run out of argument, they like to use the word 'real life' bla bla bla.
    Let me ask you a question, how many of those who hunt in political zone are willing to go to a possible war zone in a real life without a lot of compensation ? Most wouldnt.
    Why would people do that in a computer game ? its becuz you have nothing to lose in a game. And people get angry with a computer game when they get killed, so who are the losers here ? If you died in real life, do you think that you even have a chance to moan about it.

I take any challenge in a comp game. In real life, I would consider at least 3x before investing in a stock. People dont always act the same in a comp game as if they are in real life. Get real ! Stop your silly 'real life' argument. If I were the one getting my butt whooped in a game, the next thing Id do is to plan strategy for revenge. Not like what you did, flame flame flame and try to attack people with silly real life argument and such. Loser !

Talking

Ohh....forgot to tell ya....
    I cant stand still and look at Omnis killing "neutrals" at ACE camp... darn even if they are criminals.... So all i do is defend them...

u guys don't understand

i feel ao has been ruined by missions. period prove me wrong. NO ONE HUNTS ANYWHERE REALLY. the only places for higher levels to xp besides missions is 0 and 25% zones. now the way pvp works in ao an attacker has ALL THE ADVANTAGE WITH NO RISK. if i where a ganker my level 128 crat could wipe out complete teams in a 0 or 25% zone with no risk. none zip zilch. so what prevents me from ruining your play experience. as soon as i've wiped you out once or twice your whole group will leave and guess what go back to missions. now if this where quake, counterstrike, mw and such that would be the point of it but this is a mmorpg where mindless mayhem isn't the focus of the game.

the real issue is that i can impose my will upon you with you having NO way to stop me. i pay my 12.95 a month just like you why should you be able to ruin my game play experience. i see nothign wrong with letting people be exempt from pvp. let those who chose to pvp pvp their little hearts out but why should i have to stay in the "safe" zones because of them.

Thumbs up

old discussion heh
    I dont want to discuss it all over again,
    just adding my vote:
    PvP switsh x Yes
    PvP/non-PvP Servers x Yes
    ( as for "how to fight PvP", besides asking FC to change the rules,
    i posted something 2 months ago:
    "PvP": Let's fight for our freedom! )

/Quantar MP 97

Actually I haven't tried that thing with the yalma, but as it stands, PvP does have some serious issues. Especially traders with LLTS and UVC. Throw in the fact that they can root and deprive/ransack you, the battle is over before it even begins. Now as a trader, I was a little pissed off when it happened to me, but hey what can you do right? (Just wait for the next patch where new LLTS aren't as uber and UVC is self only) Still though, this flaming... couldn't we just make another place where the flamers can go?

Gankers gank precisely because they are ruining people's fun. That's what they get a kick out of. I'm willing to bet that the ones who argue so strenuously against some kind of pvp switch are the gankers. If the only people they could fight are ones who have a good chance of killing THEM, they won't like it.

The clear evidence of this is all the whining and the cries of CHEATER that go up whenever by chance a ganker IS killed. They don't want pvp, they just want to ruin people's fun.

Hope that SWG launches soon. Then all the gankers will leave for that game. Maybe then we can get some decent pvp going.

I'm willing to bet that the ones who argue so strenuously against some kind of pvp switch are the gankers.
    I hope you didn't bet too much My PvP record is about oh...1 in 60 or something *laugh* That is too broad a generalisation.

I simply understand that this game was built on a conflict between two sides, that would be fought by players on a world that would not be completely PvP, yep not completely safe. I argue just as strongly agaisnt all the PvP hounds that want every zone in the game to be 25-0%. Some places should be safe zones. I don't always want to have to watch my back. But I don't think anyone should be able to walk into a warzone and pick flowers or /disco in thier bikini's. You choose to walk into danger, no one forces you into it.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Two parts here. First to L1V1D:

Most Gankers are what you'd expect them to be. Childish social misanthropes who wish they had the power IRL to impose their wills on others, but for some reason cannot so they take it to a computer where their hours and hours and hours of play ensures that your typical casual gamer has no prayer. Pretty much they're bullies, jerks, and generally all around unpleasant people.

Though there are variations. Some people gank just because that's about all that's offered for PvP in AO right now, other's because their bored, and many other reasons. But the ones who usually get labeled as Griefers are the ones that want to find and kill people who were getting exp so the person on the other end of the computer get's angry. They don't under any circumstance want to fight someone who could fight back. They want to ruin someone's day and that's it.

And now part two.

What I'd find just hilarious is if someone hired some big guild or had a bunch of friends or whatever to follow around someone that likes to gank people who don't want to pvp and gank THEM all day long. You'd need a ton of people but if you could pull it off where there were people at all times to check if this person was logged on and would then follow them around and do nothing but gank them the instant they stepped into a pvp zone.

I just think it'd be funny as hell for someone who usually spends their time going after people that don't want to be involved in pvp to get ganked all day long.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

i found that /terminate has some good side effects... I'm no longer targeted in say metemedere because i don't give the satisfaction of being killed ill see the message attacked by and i hit macro term. then i /tell them np i saved anyway. I do not fear 25% areas or 0% areas. but they need to be more logicaly placed.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

I think is pointless for all the arguement regarding this issue. In the end, Funcom are the one decided what to apply. They should already know that having pvp exempt will basically ruin the pvp at all. Just look at EQ and AC, nobody pvp at none-pvp server although it's possible to do so (you would be suprise how many hardcore pvper choose not to pvp when they are still weak and low level). Obviously we need a better solution.

EQ solve this problem by separate pvp server and normal server.
    Frankly, normal server out number pvp server with a ratio of 3 against 1 and still growing. That pretty much describe only a small number of MMORPG players like pvp.

Why make Funcom think they could force pvp? Didn't the success story of EQ and AC tells anything?

Funcom put alot of interesting thing in pvp zones, some good shop spawn too. Unfortunely, ganker kinda drive people away from these zones. For instance, there is a uber mob called 'Master Clan Assasain' in 4holes outpost. He usually cycle around the outpost and tried to take down any omni guard that he encounter. He could drop down two omni guards with ease.

I hope Funcom will come into their sense someday, and allow people to be exempt from pvp. Hopefully then, people will have more zone to hunt for their level, inteads of the boring lush field->20k->BS route.
    Last edited by Leumas; Apr 28th, 2002 at 09:07:41.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast