Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good Hydra team?

What is a good Hydra team?

I played AO from the beta for about 4 months and then went back to EQ (everquest). With the announcement of EQ2 I am going to be playing AO for awhile. (Why level up in EQ when I have to dump the chars for eq2?)

Anyway in Everquest I play a hydra. One person 5 accounts.

In AO what would make a good 3-5 man hydra team?

I think Atrox Enforcer and a doc are good. What else might I add?

I need classes that can be used more as a hot key to assist the main tank. Obviously I do not play the add on chars to their full capabilites.

Any thoughts or comments maybe form those who play hydras?

Scott Adams
    Not Dilbert, Adventure!
    http://www.msadams.com

Question

Is that sacrastic or have they really fixed the pet pathing issuing in missions since the early days when I played?

Pathing

Nope, pet pathing hasn't been fixed, but it would be the easiest for attacking with all of them. Enforcers would draw too much aggro to monitor properly, as you can tune (at least for Engineer's) the amount of aggro pets draw.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

Pets

Just make a trader an MP and 4 engineers. go farm the spawn spots. wrangles teachings masteries infuses mochams. you will 4 bots and a MP pet killing reds 4-5 at a time...

Thanks for the replies

What do you mean by:

wrangles teachings masteries infuses mochams

Also how much trouble will the pets give me inside a mission? It used to be they where a real pain to keep with you will crawling the rooms.

Originally posted by Mx5
    Thanks for the replies

What do you mean by:

wrangles teachings masteries infuses mochams
    They raise your nanoskills so you can create bigger badder pets.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Question

What are the "they" you speak of? I am still totally in the dark here about what this means.

thanks.

ah

Sorry, here's a clarification:

Traders can do wrangles, a temporary nano-rasing nano. Max version is at +132 to all nano skills.

MetaPhycisists can do nano skill buffs, from lowest to highest level: Teachings (+25), Masteries (+50), Infuses (+90), Mochams (+140) They dont stack.

To make a good pet you need high nano skills, so you can make pets that are very high level compared to yourself if you use these buffs.

Hope it helps.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Thanks for the clarifications!

HELL no!!

LOL trying to play 5 pet classes would drive you insane.
    I would go with your first thoughts and get a Doc, an enforcer, maybe a trader and adventurer (for speed) or MA (for more tanking) and possibly an engineer if you really want a pet class as they are probably the easiest. That way you would only really need to pay attention to your Doc (for healing and watching out for agro)and your Enforcer to start combat.
    Unless you are a complete GURU with a keyboard I can't possibly see how you would control all those pet classes, considering a MP has 3 pets (that takes coordination in itself).
    Can I ask you a question though, why would anyone in their right mind want 5 accounts for just themselves? Are you bored just playing one character at a time or totally unsocial, so you have to create your own built in team?
    Damn I knew someone that used to play a monk and an enchanter at the same time in EQ and I was impressed with him
    /waves Hi Motorman if you are reading this!

Engineer with a family of MPs to buff him and sick heal pet on bot.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

I like playing a hyrda because I am an AES (Acheivement, explorer Socializer). In short I have limited patience for pickup teams and do not like to have to wait for others to play with.

In EQ I use my hydra when my tried and true friends are unavailable.

I have a nice setup with 5 machines with keyboards/monitors all easy to get to. one machine is motlsy behind me and in EQ that is my cleric. I have heals hot keyed so I just reach over and hit 3 and my main tank gets a heal.

From all I have read in the proffesion forums the peth pathing as of 14.0 is really really bad in missions so I am probably not going to go with any pets.

Also in 14.2 the Uber engineer with wranglers will no longer work as they pet will enter the /behind mode when the wrangles wears off.

From my previous playtime on AO (non hydra) I have a 27 fixer so I will keep him.

I am thinking of a team

enforcer
    doctor
    fixer (grid and run goodies)

The other 2 spots are still open and I am may simply add another enforcer/soldier/MA in.

I have not gotten back in the game yet and am just making plans at this point. I re-activated one account to try things.

BTW Can you do a /follow on a mob in AO? DAoC had /stick and EQ does NOT allow you to follow a non group memebr at all. I do remember AO lets you follow any player but what about NPC?

thanks all
    Last edited by Scott Adams; Apr 25th, 2002 at 19:17:10.

Following

Yah, just target the mob and /follow. Thats how my NT does alot of her hunting out in the open. I /follow the mob, spin around to make sure there aren't any other social mobs, and start blasting it.
    "Rubi-Ka is my home, my life, and my office... who let these people in?" - Madaline "Deaddreamer" Fontanaro
    "If you cancel your account, can I have your stuff?"
    Date of registration 2001-06-29 00:11:50 UTC
    Account status Open
    Next billing 2002-08-04

Now, who's the newbie here?

For the MMORPG Elitists:
    • Explorer:80%
    • Socializer:66%
    • Achiever:33%
    • Killer:20%

so in short, you're paying $14 x 5 per month, just to level up at the same speed as everyone else?

i fail to see the purpose.
    Muffinhunter
    200/AL 5 Clan Fixer (omg finally)
    Jadedmuffin
    81 Omni MP (on hold...man, MP's get boring fast.)
    Acknonano
    34 Clan Raidslave Doc (or at least that was the initial idea...)

A hydra, never heard that term used before. We have a guy in our guild that has a MP, and he either runs a crat or an engineer along with him. Pretty cool setup if you ask me. MP can sit in the front room and collect free XP while he goes off with the engy and kills stuff. When the buffs run out the buffing machine is right there. Now with 5 accounts, think having a doc along would be goo. I'd definately say make an MP there though for the nano buffs, that would be useful. MA for crit buffs.

Enforcer
    MP
    Engineer
    Doc
    MA

Pretty potent group.

Of course playing a MP is like having your own hydra in just one account, heh.

Ok AO IS fun! Wasn't sure if I would enjoy it now as much as EQ. They certainly have done allot of work on the game in the last 6 months.

To answer the question about why? I like to play a hydra so
    1) I dont have to share loot
    2) I dont have to worry about idiots in pickup groups
    3) I can play different classes and enjoy them.
    4) It is a challenge to do and because....
    5) I can!

I started a 4 man hydra and played it and EQ part time this weekend. I noticed I was playing AO as much as EQ at this point.

EQ I still like use based skills over AO's IP based skills.
    AO I like private missions, and not having to share the hunting gorund with other players. The new team missions are great. I am doing them at level 2 and having fun.

Right now I have a 4 man hydra. I don't think I will go any higher as the in mission pathing for /follow really stinks. I see why Pet classes complain so much. If they fix path pathing then /follow may work and I will look at increasing my hydra.

I played a level 3 dr, 3 enforcer, 3 nanotech and a 17 adventurer. (I had a the adventurer and some other chars from last summers play)

I noticed I have a level 15 doctor and level 4 fixer on dim 2. I may switch things around so my hydra will be

3 enforcer, 4 fixer, 3 NT, 15 doctor.

I think the higher doctor will help the team more with the end boses and I want to have a fixer in the team for later instead of the adventurer so I can get the better run buffs and later grid evac spells. Still thinking this one through though.

I am intriqued though about the MA and MP buffs. Could someone fill me in on these as I have not played them much. Would you give up the fixer's Grid evac and SoW (run buffs) for them?

As an aside I do notice that AO run speed buffs are no where near the increase you get in EQ. There the SoW starts at 30% increase and scales up from there. You really notice it even at low levels. My level 25 fixer on Dim-1 does not feel to be running much faster with his speed buffs on.
    Last edited by Scott Adams; Apr 30th, 2002 at 16:46:46.

Smile

for now I have decided to go with a fixer.

With his preception and sneak skills he will be my puller in missions.

The hydra works best when parked and having the fixer bring the mobs back seems to work better. This way the team clears some rooms and then moves forwards and parks again.

Right now all at fairly low levels. I am hoping the 14.2 patch will fix some pathing issues. All in all great fun.

5 Computers capable of playing AO and 5 accounts on both AO and EQ.

Wow - you must be extremely rich, and given that "Pyramid of Doom" was the first computer game I ever played I guess I can understand why

Wink

LOL, not really that rich I still work for a living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast