Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The REAL problem at lowest levels is NOT the exp loss!

The REAL problem at lowest levels is NOT the exp loss!

Youre right, FC: Its too hard at the first levels. So far, so good.
    BUT youre focusing on the LEAST problem.

There are basically three kinds of problems you run into, especially with your first chars:

Stupid allocation of IPs.
    That you **** up your IP allocation with your first chars is of course the long term problem when youre new to this game, but thats part of the fun, getting significally better with the next char. I dont like the promised IP reset feature at all. It just doesnt make any sense RPwise, either. Go make a new char and do it better, I say.

Dying from being too brave/optimistic:
    So, you die 20 exp points before a level. Tough luck, but hopefully you learned something of it. Lucky you, that all you lost was the exp. I suggest that after lvl50, you should loose the loot too, AND the creds. Away with it. You should be AFRAID of dying.

Then its the third problem.
    Take a walk in Tir, or even worse, the Omni Ent or one of the backyards, and you'll see the REAL problem: CREDS. Hordes of beggars is the result.
    As soon as you reach lvl70 or so, your chat window gets flooded by tells from those god damn beggars no matter where you go.

And hey - theres a reason for this! Missions gives practically NO creds in rewards/loot at the lowest levels, its hell even getting the creds for the biocomm to start making that plasma, for those that want to spend IPs on the bio skill.

So, my suggestion is this:
    Keep the exp loss from dying unchanged, there SHOULD be a reason to try to avoid dying or you just as well shouldnt be able to die at all.
    Keep the IP allocation stuck as it is today. Once spent, they are spent. Create a new char when you think youve ****ed up your current.

BUT LET THE NEWBIES BE ABLE TO GET SOME CREDS. A Biocomm could be part of the startup package, for every profession. Thats a start. Let the char get at least a few thousand creds on startup. That should help too.
    And implement new ways of getting some reasonable amound of creds in this game, that should give some real help at the lowest levels.

Its IMPOSSIBLE to create a good char at ALL without donations/transfers, no matter how good/experienced player you are. You aint got the creds to do ANYTHING. You can FORGET implants, a reasonable gun, or sensible armor. Just forget it!

THATS why the lowest levels are so hard. As soon as you hit lvl20 and you start getting SOME income, its a breeze up all the way to lvl120. No more sorrows. But before that, it takes a lot of donations to have any fun at all.

These changes are great for the n00bs.

The two largest problems our n00bs face is lack of cash, and no one to group with.

These changes will make solo hunting much easier for them. They won't be able to find a decent group until about level 30 anyway.

Now they need to make it easier for n00bs to get some money.

Thumbs down

I disagree, finding a group at low lvls isn't hard. However, I agree, the biggest problem newbs face is cash flow. It's non existent. Not to mention you start with practically nothing. Why don't they create new startup gear, something that fits the players chosen profession? Maybe a piece of armor that has req's similar to the line or armor that profession might be best suited in? This solution that FC has come up with is garbage in my opinion.

Yeah armor is good

I agree. A startup armor would be good, as it will give the new player a hint that he/she should go for armor that matches the basic skills you wanna focus on.

Also, instead of not loosing exp when dying, let the startup char be a little more "über", in the sense that the startup gun should kick some more ass and be a useful weapons for quite a few levels, and the startup armor (as menmtioned above) should give some real protection. That way you get a more head start, and learn to play while you got some power (compared to your level of course).

And while were on the subject: Let the "naked" player not look like they wear any real armor at all. Make it look like a default social armor instead. That makes more sense. And, this is only eyecandy of course, but what about having a few startup clothes to choose from as well, when creating a char?
    Last edited by Beamboom; Apr 23rd, 2002 at 19:46:16.

Its IMPOSSIBLE to create a good char at ALL without donations/transfers, no matter how good/experienced player you are. You aint got the creds to do ANYTHING. You can FORGET implants, a reasonable gun, or sensible armor. Just forget it!
    I started out with no money at all on Arinia. I equipped myself, fought in the Arena at level 9, got Freshman (blah, I know, not impressive but I did it myself). No guild, no help, paid for buffs, etc etc. I have more money now than I know what to do with, I just spent over 10 mil on a new trader twink.

Patience teaches people a lot at lower levels. It's already easy as pie to get to level 100. Getting 5 million for a plane, or for equipment is the only weed-out factor left. It's annoying enough to group with people level 50 who don't know basic game mechanics (like not attacking a mezzed lifebleeder) much less getting to level 100 and attacking mezzed adds or other such nonsense.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Really?

If you, at lvl 9, without transferring creds/equipment and/or implants, selfequipped and with poor guns/implants (who can afford anything else at that level) still kicked ass in PvP, I think that

a) you won 10 out of 200 fights or so.
    b) I think you were extremely lucky with your opponents, being complete newbies
    c) Errah... I have a hard time believing you, at all... (no offense)

Other than that I agree that its easy to level, getting creds etc at later levels once you get to know the game.

But as I said, its the very few FIRST levels that is dull because of the constant lack of creds to do anything with your char other than spending IPs. Its still easy to level because the mobs and missions are easy too, but its no FUN. As soon as the cash flow starts to get at least slightly reasonable, its all changes, its fun, leveling, and party hardy for the rest of your life. But those first levels are dead boring, UNLESS you transfer stuff to it (or someone gives it to you of course). Its just hunting for exp. And after some months of play, thats the LEAST amusing part of the game.

And, my point was really, that FC's idea of letting you not loose exp until lvl30 really doesnt make any change at all, cause thats not the PROBLEM, at all. It will only make a bunch of crazy kids thats used to attack anything SCREAM of complains once they start loosing exp from their idiotic strategies (or rather the lack of strategy at all) theyve gotten used to by level 30.

When I first started I was using my newbie rifle until level 11. Then some nice person gave me a QL9 stigma rifle they didn't need.

Cash flow was so non-exsistant that I couldn't even buy myself a gun from the store.

I think the best thing for newbies would be if they sold lots of uber armor and weapons at the newbie terminals. This stuff would be extremely cheap and be effective until around level 15 (You could start using the newbie gear at about level 5).

THATS why the lowest levels are so hard. As soon as you hit lvl20 and you start getting SOME income, its a breeze up all the way to lvl120. No more sorrows. But before that, it takes a lot of donations to have any fun at all.
    Oh man, you really believe this? I think you mean it's impossible to create a twinked character without donations/transfers. People play online games all the time without needing money at start up. It's not that hard! You just have to use your brain and have some patience.

I did missions to get armor/weapons. Still do. Missions give you stuff for FREE. You don't have to buy a thing. I've never paid for a piece of armor or weapon. I get them all in missions. Even most nanos are in missions. Might take a little while to roll what you need, but it's all there. Only expenditures I have are first aid kits, treatment packs, nano rechargers, and mission roll costs.

Why should AO be any different that other online games with start up gear? What sets AO apart from the rest that you can't make a character without money and armor to start out with? It's been a while so bear with me if the following is incorrect:

UO - Start with 100 gold, tunic & pants (no armor value), practice weapon
    EQ - Start with zero money, no armor (can get a cloak if you turn in starting letter), practice weapon
    AC - Same as EQ
    DAoC - Same as EQ

"I see lazy people."

With my first character I had 100k before level 25. And probably spent another 100k.

From level 5 or at least 7 you can start to cash in over 5k in missions if you know where to go. Need cash? do three missions. Need Armour? Camp the mission terminal. Want a new weapon? Camp the terminal.

I actually think that the first 10-30 levels are too easy. I have yet to experience any big problems.

But of course. I can not buy everything I want, but hey I'm still just a lowbie and that's the way it should be.

lol i think that if u have been playing for a while u should just be able to skip the first 15 lvls, they are so boring and un-needed

Question .

So.. you are saying that we should do missions for everything?
    Cool, remove the shops. We can do missions for our ****. Hell even packs.

Shop are for higher level player. Honestly, I have never buy any armor from shop. The price are outrages. No one say you should do mission for everything. Stop hunting in the backyard once you reach level 2, go outside get a mission from BS to trade districts instead. Do mission for armor and money, save up to reward yourself a good weapon. That's the selling points of RPG. If you dun have the patient for all this, then BEG or go back to FPS.

Now, they have reward you guys with the carebear systems. Yet, you guys are asking for more? I hope you join this game when it was still crashing to desktop every 5 minute. Only then, you will appreciate what you have now.
    Last edited by Leumas; Apr 24th, 2002 at 12:05:10.

Money

Stop whining. As a omni or a clanner it's EASY to get money. Omni can get missions Broken Shores, clanners from Avalon and then do mission runs. Neuts don't have this opportunity, but hey! Who said it's supposed to be easy beeing a neut? Of course, newbies don't know about this, but that's experience.
    Bris bris puste meg i nakken
    Det blir kaldt i frakken og kroppen skrike
    kom bris bris, sett meg fri
    Skru på sirenen og gje meg varige mèn

Bris gjer meg roser i kinnet, tar vekk vonde minner
    Bris du har stengt oss inne. Du vinner, du vinner

Question .

Higher level player eh?

As a higher level player i don't buy jack from shops except treatment packs and nano packs. Come to think of it, i never bought a single piece of armor or gun in shop.

I say higher, did I said highest? Dun think so. Shop have highest ql 125 goods. This should be sufficient for player below 75. Yes, you are suppose to do mission for everything higher then ql 125 except cluster. I personaly think it make this game more fun. Dun like it, please crawl back to where you come from. Should I remain you what's this post topic is? If you want to discuss about high level player has nothing to spend with, I suggest you start a new thread.
    Last edited by Leumas; Apr 24th, 2002 at 12:40:06.

AO is one of the easiest MMORPG that has been produced.

Early levels are a breeze, unless you want to upgrade all your amror / weapons / nanos each level. You have so many ways to get stuff that it's amazing.

Team up, find friends, share items, sell / buy from players, sell your buffs if need be ... etc.
    You don't play this game solo, so start to socialize a bit. And it doesn't involve beggind creds or old items from level 100+ near whomphas.

Removing xp loss up to level 30 has not a lot of interest.
    People should start level 30 the way it's going to be.

Bah.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

funny funny

"you cant build a good char without donations and credits"

i wonder how you ever start playing when you are the first.

"ip settings"

the little settings you can do wrong way at the first levels doesnt matter at all

no xp loss till 30

why not till 300 or 3000

a whiner is never content

< a twinked char will never learn what his char realy can do >

< if you follow the advices of spoiler sites you will never become better than the one who wrote it >

1 example :

a lot of NTs are not content with their chars , i met one NT ,who goes the way of a Martial Artist we 2 ( i am MA going as doc ) can do a mission 30 levs above without being overequipped. we need a lot of time but for hours we have real fun

for me the game would also "sux" if i only go tir - temple - VW - cyborgs-BS

i also wonder when i meet lev 150+ who only saw 5 Playfields

The first levels: I never said that it was that HARD getting the levels, I said that it is so BORING, cause you are stuck with the poor equipment. Meaning you just go exp hunt to get the levels. And thats basically because you dont have any creds to be able to do anything about the current situation.

Doing missions for some good gear is very hard, cause to get gear at the ql you want, you need to be well equipped to survive the missions! As we all know, were able to wear armor and weapons with at least 50-70% higher ql than your current level, even at the first levels. The game is designed that way, and the missions expect you to be equipped that way (at least when soloing).

So, unless you are well equipped, youre left killing the greens/yellows just outside your hometown.

BUT the topic of this thread is: CREDS is the hardest part when youre new, not exp loss. So, if FC want to make it easier for the first levels, do something about the cash flow at those levels, not loosing exp wont help much as all, only make newbies start getting used to really stupid tactics.

Post .

"Should I remain you what's this post topic is? If you want to discuss about high level player has nothing to spend with, I suggest you start a new thread."
    Read my post again. If it isn't clear keep reading it. Write it on the walls back home, read it time over time until it's clear for you then come back here and compare what you came up with, with the stuff i write below:

I never had any credits when i was new to this game so i could buy gear from shops!

As to this: "I personaly think it make this game more fun. Dun like it, please crawl back to where you come from."

Plain and simple: F*ck you

Tedder, I dun see why you need amor 70% more then you level to be effective. Maybe weapon but I dun think they buff up any mob below 30. When I was level 2, I use to wear only the startup newbie shirt. Yet, I am still doing well. Of couse I cant solo red, which I think it was not intent to solo a red without decent gear. I earn every cash I have and learn the game.

My point is if you can't do 60% mission at low level, then something must has been wrong with your character. You might wanna reconsider your tactic. And 60% mission should reward armor good enough for your level.

Originally Post by Slim
    Plain and simple: F*ck you

This pretty much tell us who you are. You a retard, I should have know. /Ignore slim...ahh much better.
    Last edited by Leumas; Apr 24th, 2002 at 15:36:19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast