Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Take Three With Omtron: Clan Quiz

Take Three With Omtron: Clan Quiz

Take Three With Omtron: Clan Quiz
    Omtron

Athens -- Omni-Tek Press Corps -- Reporter Omtron visits Athens once more. This time to quiz Clan members of the history of Rubi-Ka itself. Three simple questions. Three simple answers. Only one answered correctly by one Clanner.

History is an important aspect of any civilization. Those who understand their past understand their future. So how did it all begin? Surely the basics of Rubi-Ka are clear to everyone? This pushes back, before the clans, before any wars. To the time of two vessels named Atlantean and Rimor.

After quite some time reminding clanners of my press status, thus disabling them from attacking me, aside from the supression gas too. I managed to get a chance to quiz Snakezz and Alibix.

Omtron: What was the first vessel to land on Rubi-Ka named?
    Snakezz: The SS cactusbrain
    Omtron: Any guesses alibix?
    Alibix: No.
    Omtron: What was the second vessel to land on Rubi-Ka named?
    Snakezz: The SS omnisucks?
    Omtron: Any realistic guesses alibix?
    Alibix: Nope.
    Omtron: Who was the company that sent both vessels?
    Snakezz: Omni-Tek.
    Omtron: So you seem to know who sent them, but not the names of the pioneering vessels?
    Snakezz: Nope, don't seem to care either.
    Omtron: They were Atlantean and Rimor.
    Snakezz: What does that have to do with anything?
    Omtron: I was testing general Clan knowledge of Rubi-Ka history. You pretty much failed, not that i'm surprised.

This is indeed quite disappointing. For a peoples making a claim of this planet they have no understanding of its past. This is not only frightening, but outright absurd. Surely someone knew in a group of about twenty right?

Omtron: tell me the name of the first or second ship that landed on Rubi-Ka.

My question was not answered except by Alibix who simply relayed what I had said earlier. No Clan members during my entire time in Athens could walk up to me, or shout, or send a personal communication message to me, telling me the correct answer of the names of those two ships.

However, it would not be fair for me to pass judgement on them unless I also quizzed Omni-Tek employees. So, that's exactly what I did next in the vicinity of a few loyal Omni-Tek employees.

Omtron: Who here knows the names of the first and second vessels to land on this planet?
    Reyeth: Atlantean is one.
    Kuwa: Rimor the other.

These two fine employees, Reyeth and Kuwa, know of the history of this planet. They accomplished in mere seconds what the Clan were unable to do during my entire visit.

If you were looking to join either the Clan or Omni-Tek, who would you choose? A side that wants to make a claim to the lands, but understands nothing of it? Or a side that not only understands the past, but is the very reason that past began?

I would surely choose the side that created that past, understands that past, and will create our future. I would choose Omni-Tek.

A good report, although I've known all along that the intelligence of the Clans is sub-par. Continue the good work, Omtron, in bringing forth the truth about the Clans.
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.

Thanks, Omtron, for reinforcing my belief in Omni-Tek. There is no doubt that Omni-Tek will prevail, whatever may come in the future.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

A good and true observation. I was just discussing this today with a few colleges of mine. They agreed with my statement that the clans do not know anything because their so called “education” is corrupt. The children of the Rebels are only taught how to fight Omni-Tek and why Omni-Tek is in their eyes “evil”. But if the children were taught the correct material and could actually think on their own, we would have a much different view of them. Maybe even peace would be among us.

But alias war still wages on. Ah well I agree with Omtron’s statement, Omni-Tek is and always is the right choice.

So why are tha Clanners always so intent on pointing facts that happened two centuries ago and say "Omni-Tek is evil", while they dun't seem to care 'bout other facts of history like this one (and dun't say it's unimportant, it's a bout tha first ships and humans on this world)? Care to enlighten me? <smirks>

By tha way, fer any Clanner wishing to answer to this - I have one word to add: irony.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Now, now, to be fair to the Clanners and their rhetoric, they just don't want to confuse the truth with facts. That would mess up their entire campaign.

Nevver smirks.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

((Ok, This was a cheap pot shot at Clanners. We all know that the average player knows almost nothing about the past story line of this game. So to prove a point, tonight I will create an Omni character and run into Omni-1 and take my own survey. I will ask the same exact question of 10 random Omni players that I see. I know the results will be exactly the same. I should hope that in the future the reporters will have better taste than to quote people who never Roleplay just to make one side or the other look stupid. Distasteful reporting, fitting of "The National Enquirer".))

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

OOC: You do not seem to get the meaning of this report. It is obviously Omni-Tek propaganda and Omtron does a good job at it. He glorifies OT and displays the clans as prehistoric animals. Nothing wrong there... that is exactly what I would expect of the Omni-Tek Press Corps
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.

((No, I do get it Meister, but its pretty tasteless to use people that dont RP in an RP forum. Does "The SS omnisucks?" sound like an IC comment? Doesnt to me. Either way, I'm going to go do some tasteless reporting of my own now.))

Good for you... the question is, what will your "reporting" actually mean? You are not part of any of the reporter teams. Omtron did not ask for a RPed response for his questions, but obviously he got the correct answers anyway from OT. Also.. "SS omnisucks" can be seen as RP too That's the common clan spirit isn't it? "Everything Omni sucks." While many are not aware of the history of the planet, it is not surprising that Omni players generally like to know more about the corporation they work for. So it is only natural that at least us Omnis know which ships landed first on Rubi-Ka. I could even tell you other parts of the timeline, but that's because I am a roleplayer to the most part and have learned a lot of the timeline in conversations here on the forums and ingame (even did a history quiz at the last Omni-Pol Policemen's Ball). If clans do not take an Omni-Tek reporter serious and give such answers, then it is not at all surprising that you try to discard it as "non RP" when in truth it is what we hear from clanners all too often - RPers or not.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol

OOC: Ok, Pointless to argue, I cant be correct. I still think it was very distasteful reporting. This is an IC forum, and things should stay IC like this conversation.

IC: Omnisucksplzkthxbye!

OOC:

Meister moreless makes good points.

Reporters aren't out to give you the fair story, to start. That is in the case of Clans or Omni-Tek reporters. SOME may do it, but if they do, that is simply their writing style and feelings towards the world.

Generally IRRK (Neutral) will be your down the middle types, which is why there is an IRRK news wire and they relay information from everyone ingame. But even they will moreso support Neutral affairs if they have the chance.

Reporters don't need to go out and target RP types only. They are not limited to any group, person, place, or otherwise. There is also simpy no reason to leave anyone out of having a chance of partaking in these stories.

Just because someone doesn't respond in a RP fashion, doesn't mean what they've said is useless or void. Those are still their thoughts and comments. In this case, a reporter took those thoughts and comments and intrepeted it in his own way.

The amount of propaganda and the degree of being side-oriented is simply going to vary from reporter to reporter too.

Love it or hate it, Reporters are people; and they're going to tell you the stories the way they see it.
    ~ CJ ~
    Formerly known as Timelapse

Certified AO Forum Freak!

~ Check out our old comics here! ~

((OOC: On this I'd have to agree with Meister, even though you make a valid point as well Ben.

True, not every player does actually read the backstory, not every player does know all the facts, and if someone doesn't know the name of these ships (even though it's really a simple question, I admit), well, doesn't mean they're bad players or whatever. Just that they maybe prefer the gameplay to roleply, don't care ab out the story that much, or any other reason.

On the other hand:

- IC-wise, the reporter probably would make Omni people appear more well-taught. Or not. What does tell us that Omtron deliberately chose "non-RPing Clanners" and "RPing Omnis" to illustrate his point? If I create a reporter too and go hang in Omni-Ent and Tir to interview two or three passers-by each time, how can I know if these people have read the timeline or not?

- OOC-wise, would the reporters have to target *only* RP players, to make sure that the people they interview are people who've read the timelines, additional info, etc etc, and will also answer in a RP fashion? Wouldn't this be deliberately leaving out 'non-RPers' just because they don't post in the Buzz or haven't their names 'known'?...))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

ooc:

Yes, I understand everyones point, just to me it still seems distasteful. Thats just my oppinion.

OOC:
    Furthermore, this is an "OT-report". Hence, I would expect the reporter to portray his own people as having all the "corrrect" answers. As a Clanner, I view this report as falsified, and without a doubt the reporter gave the OT subjects the correct answers ahead of time.
    Had we seen a Clan reporter doing the same stunt, the tables would have been turned, dont you think?
    Still, imho, this type reporting is a bit too translucent, and would probably not have passed approving instances in any serious, investigative news room.
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

(( Hehe, lighten up Ben. Sure its a cheap shot, but that is what it was meant to be; someone roleplaying a biased Omni reporter trying to score some easy points. I can't see there is anything distasteful about it in an ooc sense, its not like Omni-Tek or the Clans exist outside the game.

A lot of players have characters on both sides of the fence (and on it!) and are passionately pro-clan when they play their Clanner, and passionately pro-Omni when they play their suit. But the minute you log off, who really cares?

I would go one further and say that provocative, in-character posts are healthy. I've heard a lot of people complain that for a some time now Omni and Clan relations have got a little too cozy, especially in the roleplaying community. So maybe sometimes you have to mess things up a bit, but its all in the spirt of the game.

))
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I thought this was THE most accurate piece of reporting I have read in a long time. The Clans sure like to to talk about freedom and blah-biddy-blah, but when it comes right down to it, they simply regurgitate the same junk that has been pounded into their thick skulls for the last two hundred years. Unfortunately for them, they become so blinded by their own greed that they forget their own "lessons."
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 29th, 2003 at 13:14:27.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Does this prove that Omni-Tek is superior? Or does this prove that many in the north can't even afford education for thier children? Shame on Omni-Tek for judging Clans by standards they in many cases have no hope of living up to! It's easy to point a finger from your sky scrapers, your towers of power, when a great deal of people are struggling to eek out a life in very trying circumstances. What is more important to a Clan Villager? Which ship landed on Rubi-Ka first or how to defend your village from roaming Mutants Omni-Tek lets loose in the wild?

Shame Shame Shame!

(( OOC great BIASED reporting. Sided reporters are supposed to be biased. Benjicrat if you don't like the report state IC that you dont like it and why. Don't complain OOC, he's doing his IC job as an Omni employee for an Omni paper to stir up controversy for us to yell and scream at each other for .))
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

Aazamon, it is not Omni-Tek's obligation to educate the Clans. We are subsidizing them enough with letting them live rent free. It is not our problem if they choose to spend their profits from the the notum they have mined and sold on Hit the Floor Jack rather than education.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Aazamon
    It's easy to point a finger from your sky scrapers, your towers of power, when a great deal of people are struggling to eek out a life in very trying circumstances. What is more important to a Clan Villager? Which ship landed on Rubi-Ka first or how to defend your village from roaming Mutants Omni-Tek lets loose in the wild?
    HAH!

I'm really sorry, but when I see how many Clanners spend their time and money goin' to parties, dancin' and drinkin' in Reets, there's NO way yer gonna make me believe that tha Clans are "struggling to eek out a life" and in dire need.

If they can spend money on shiny Yalms, as well as booze and nice thongs to dance in, sure as hell they could at leat educate their kids on such easy and common points of tha world they claim to love so much...

((OOC: No, definitely, to me, it wasn't an OOC cheap shot. Perhaps if the reporter had purposely chosen - OOCly - people who were known NOT to roleplay and not having read the backstories, but honestly, I doubt there'd be any way to know this, as not every RPer makes him/herself known on the boards etc anyway. Also, Omtron is already known for having quite the style for this kind of articles, or so is the way I perceive his(?) writing. Who knows, maybe we'll soon see a Clan reporter make a "cheap shot" at Omni? And then, big deal, who said that the ARK reporters hadn't the right to be reporters on the level of the National Enquirer?

'Course, ICly, it made me smirk and chuckle... hehe.))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast