Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Director Moscardelli's Statement on Notum Prices

((Cannot refind the post either, darn...Tchu said in another thread he would check up on it, after I made a reference to the same post.....guess we will just have to see if confrimation comes))

Moscardelli...what your personal beleifs are on this planets well being is really irrelevant, Im sorry to say. You do not speak for Omni-Tek, so I cannot take your word as any sort of guarantee on anything Im afraid.
    Also, you amuse me with the following statement:

But I must say the clans wouldn’t have much if Omni-Tek was not here.
    This is true....we wouldnt even be on the planet. Neither would you, Moscardelli. *smiles softly*

The environment in the North is in a far worse state then the South.
    Of course it is....OT never spent the same amount of resources on the northern part of the planet when it comes to terraforming. As of yet, we do not have the means or equipement to amend the situation. Given time we will. At least we hope so.

You have very radical views McDuff, but most are untrue.
    Your opinion, Moscardelli....and youre entitled to it. What you find untrue, others find true.

And no..I will not treat Omni-Tek with any resepct whatsoever. For me to respect anyone, they would have to earn that. OT has not. However, I can tell you that I respect a great number of fine, upstanding people belonging to your faction. Your hyper-corporation deserves no resepect, as they have shown in the past, and keeps showing that they hold no respect for individual rights or life in general.

Now, you were asking about the fine print...well....read this, and perhaps you will see what I mean :
    Free Spirits?
    And here is a free sample of it:

1) Requires subject to sign a multiple-lifetime tenure contract with Omni-Tek, forfeiting signer's legal rights in perpetuity.
    Tell me where in this line you see respect for the individual....please?

((The text in this link is actual text from the game introduction, so please do not treat it as anything else. This are hard facts about the contracts))
    Last edited by Cogs; Dec 29th, 2003 at 00:45:41.
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Originally posted by Cogs

"The environment in the North is in a far worse state then the South."

Of course it is....OT never spent the same amount of resources on the northern part of the planet when it comes to terraforming. As of yet, we do not have the means or equipement to amend the situation. Given time we will. At least we hope so.

There we go again, the Clans shrugging off all responsibility and blaming OT for their failings. The Clans seem to find money and equipment for every other of their needs and even whims, why not the for environment, for the the ruins and the toxic wastelands. Could it be its not as high on the Clan list of priorities as you claim?

Come to think of it OT is so brutal in its treatment of the planet, so greedy and so uncaring about its people, why is the South so lush and unspoiled?

I am sorry, you've had time. You had two hundered years to clean up the environmental mess OT allegedly left you with up north. You have had 200 years to create the grand Clan democracy. You have had plenty of time years to learn to coeixst in peace with your neighbours the neutrals, the rhinomen and the yuttos. Don't come tell me that its all Omni-Teks fault you have achieved none of these things. That is weak. Very, very weak.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Dec 29th, 2003 at 01:09:50.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

*smiles*
    Ahh, miss Savoy....how quickly one forgets. The Clans have only recently come into reasonable wealth. We do not have the machinery or production facilities to produce the machinery needed for such a huge undertaking. Even OT gave up on it, once the Southern districts were done.
    It is a goal though...perhaps in the not too distant future we will be able to.
    Why is the South so lush? Spare me.....you know that, Savoy......it is the home of Omni-Tek....and was once the place that unsuspecting settlers came to live the dream. LEts not get into rhetoric over such a basic marketing stunt, miss Savoy.

200 years.....a mere speck of time, miss Savoy. In which we have had to fight every day for our mere existance. And, most of this time, unfunded.
    Granted, things are looking up these days, so we will reach our goals. But, miss Savoy..we do not work on OT schedule....we work on our own. We might fail, and have failed in the past......but we will try again....and again...till we get it right.

Ill make another thing perfectly clear, as I have in the past: We are enemies of Omni-Tek, the corporation, and said corporations ideology. The Council of Truth will battle this, and amnesty will be granted to OT employees that wish to abandon the sinking ship and join us. We fully understand that you cannot come to this gridfeed with anything but criticism toward the Clan ways, due to the "dire consequences" your glorious future would otherwise suffer (as outlined in OT contracts).

Long live the Clans and Rubi-Ka!

((OOC: You speak of the wildlife. I will not bring up the wildlife here...as it is rather pointless to rp on subjects of the gameworld that all sides hunt and slaughter for xp. For rp purposes, Cereberus do not kill Yottos and Rhino, nor Brontos. Rather, we have had fun trying to eradictae the bronto catchers, etc.))
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

Boo hoo hoo! Please, Cogs, if you want a TRULY free society, learn to stand on your own two feet and don't cry when Omni-Tek doesn't give you handouts. You might have heard of this saying: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Boo hoo hoo! Please, Cogs, if you want a TRULY free society, learn to stand on your own two feet and don't cry when Omni-Tek doesn't give you handouts. You might have heard of this saying: "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
    *smiles, and shakes his head slowly*

.....and just where do I cry for handouts?? And, I fail to see the relevance of your saying here.....but then again, it is not the first time you dream up content not stated anywhere, miss.

Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

Dreamed up? Who terraformed the planet? Who built the weather control system? Who put in the reclaim system? Who built Omni-2? Who pays for the lease (your rent)?

You're welcome.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Tell me where in this line you see respect for the individual....please?
    Okay, I’ll bite. I used to teach contractual law in a past lifetime. Keep that past lifetime phrase in mind as I explain.

The contractual condition in question is “Requires subject to sign a multiple-lifetime tenure contract with Omni-Tek, forfeiting signer's legal rights in perpetuity.”

To lead off with your question on respect for the individual, it’s not in there. Plain and simple. Respect for the individual is not mentioned or implied anywhere in that statement.

Now, before you work yourself into a frothing frenzy, lets examine the legal realities of life on Rubi-Ka. Under contractual law used by the rest of the Corporate Confederation, it’s pretty damn difficult to enforce a contract after a person’s death. Lets pretend for a moment that I’m on Turtle, writing a research paper on class structures, and I happen to sign a contract where I receive twelve music discs for a credit, and promise to buy six more at club prices in two years. A month later, I become violently ill after eating locally pickled vegetables and drinking non distilled water in the bazaar, and die three days later.

“Big deal,” says the average Rubi-Ka’n. But there is no reclaim tech on Turtle, and I don’t find myself at the reclaim terminal. What is the music disk club to do? After all, I had agreed to buy six more disks from them at a steeply increased price. At this point, they, and all my other creditors, line up to get a piece of my worldly belongings. If there isn’t enough to cover my debts, they get a fraction. If there’s surplus, it goes to my beneficiaries. However, the club cannot insist that my beneficiaries buy the six disks I did not.

Now, Rubi-Ka is the only world in the Confederation with reclaim tech. Imagine the chaos if contractual obligations could not be enforced after death. To continue my example, I’ve just signed up for the twelve music disks for a credit. Later that evening, I get beat to death by a club wielding enforcer. At the reclaim terminal, I collect my belongings, since I am my own beneficiary. Under Confederate law, the club can no longer force me to buy six more music disks, as the Meta Durousseau who signed that contract is dead. Instead, to collect, the must make a claim against my worldly belongings at the time of my death. The effects on our courts would be devastating, and public trust in the value of a contract would plummet.

Hence, our multiple-lifetime contracts. We forfeit the rights we had in the Confederation, because Rubi-Ka is a whole other legal universe, and in return gain a entirely new set of rights and responsibilities tailored to the specific nature of Rubi-Ka.

I hope that was enlightening. If you need more explanation, just say so. I’ll do my best to clear up the confusing bits. Now, just to bait you, in your newly formed Republican CoT, where is the respect for the individual when the voting structure is one clan, one vote? You don’t need to address that if you don’t wish.

Also, I apologize for not taking you up on your offer to discuss Clan politics when you were our guest, Cogs, but prior circumstances prevented my visiting you. Also, please say hello to young Tussa for me if you get the chance.
    Last edited by Marisha; Dec 29th, 2003 at 06:34:17.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Marisha.....hmmm.....no, that just dont cut it. Youre signing away your legal rights, in perpetuity.....there is no distinction. As for your disk example, well.....tough luck. It does not hold water.
    The sole purpose of this clause in the contract is for Omni-Tek to gain total control of the individual. I should like to see you wave that paper in front of any lawyer, and claim you have rights to fair trial in any court. They would simply laugh at you, and throw you back to the wolves.

Such is the contract, you live by it. We of the Clans have long since rejected any such hold on us, and pursue a free lifestyle.

Miss Nevver! Lets get one thing straight. You seem to think that Omni-Tek pays our rent, etc...you really make me laugh, you know. Omni-Tek has a lease to mine notum here, not ownership of the planet. Whoever gave you the idea that you own the planet? Must be in your inflated minds....and Im not surprised. You probably mistake Omni-Tek with Omnipotent.....something you are clearly not.
    I am done with the petty bickering, miss Nevver.......your sneering attempts at belittling anything Clan, etc, has gone from being slightly amusing to becoming utterly hilarious, so I shall leave you to it.
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

You seem to think that Omni-Tek pays our rent, etc...you really make me laugh, you know. Omni-Tek has a lease to mine notum here, not ownership of the planet.
    That's correct. Omni-Tek pays a lease to be here and mine notum, the Clans do not pay for that lease yet are here and mining notum.

Again, you're welcome.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Yes, miss Nevver, I am here, thanks to Omni-Tek's desire to create breeds to carry out their dirty work. Breeds to whom OT would never need to pay either respect nor the benefits of humanitarian rights. I am here by OT's design, along with so many of my nanomage and atrox brethren. Breeds created solely to carry the chains of OT slavery for eternity........

And...are you implying we owe OT our mining rights? No...again you are wrong. ICC gave us the rights to mine....and to purchase mining equipement. And just what do you know about whether or not the Clans pay for this? And why would you need to? It is a matter between ICC and the Clans as it stands now.

Have a nice day, miss Nevver.

Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

Post Comments from Director Moscardelli

No I can not speak for Omni-Tek, only Omni-Prime can speak for Omni-Tek as a whole. But I can speak for Omni-Mining.

Yes none of us would be here without Omni-Tek. Omni-Tek is what gave this planet life and keeping it that way. If Omni-Tek left right now you really think Omni-Tek would give you technology to survive? I doubt we would even keep the Reclaim technology running.

You ever think a nicer attitude towards Omni-Tek many help your environmental problem? Besides you don’t need big equipment to clean up your area. I see garbage and everything around. Your people could clean it up real easily with out the need to terraform. Omni-Tek just didn’t want to bother cleaning up an area full of traitors.

Indeed there are citizens who do not earn respect. But the same statement goes to you. I know many clanners who do not earn respect either.

Well there are many forums. None of mine say such things. That forum you had is just for traitors and criminals of Omni-Tek. Why would such people be given total freedom in Omni-Tek cities just like everyone else? Marisha does speak truth in this topic. The only forums you have seen in Rubi-Ka forums. The reason why it says multiple lifes is because of reclaim technology. Why would we let a criminal free after he dies once and then reclaimed.

Omni-Tek has lease to the planet in which claims all rights and own age to the planet and the Notum Product until the lease is up.

You think Nanomages and Atroxs are slaves. But many improvements have been made. Indeed they were originally created to help in Notum mining, but now Omni-Tek sees this differently. I see many citizens of the nano and atrox breed running around just as any other citizen. They even have high ranking positions. They are no longer slaves as you speak of.

Yes the clans have mining rights now but not shipping or refining. Which is needed for actual selling of notum exports. As stated in the press release from ICC Secretary General Isidra Derousse, “However, Omni-Tek will still control the refining and shipping of the notum.” Thus as I said you still need to rely on Omni-Mining and Omni-Trans for your so called new business.

((I don't know about a post, but I know at least one of the IRRK broadcasts in game specifically referred to the clans selling notum off world without going through OT. If I remember right this contradicted previous story information saying that clan-mined notum was distributed and shipped by OT-RK.))
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

(( that may be from what Cogs is looking for. It may have been a mistake. Dabblez also said she saw a GM post that clans shipped but now she cant find it. I think it was a mistake and the GM discovered that after and deleted his post. But now, if the clans ship, that changes the whole story. From when NW opened the shipping was still done by Omni-Trans. Maybe what they mean is that Clans have contrants to sell to others not going through Omni-Tek. Former contracts such as with this Mars company. ))

((Yes, I think it puts players whose RP involves the notum mining business in a pretty awkward position. I've avoided that particular portion of the storyline for that reason, but that's pretty easy for me since my clan is only somewhat involved in the notum trade.))
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

Originally posted by Ariekel
    ((I don't know about a post, but I know at least one of the IRRK broadcasts in game specifically referred to the clans selling notum off world without going through OT. If I remember right this contradicted previous story information saying that clan-mined notum was distributed and shipped by OT-RK.))
    ((You are corect...and it wasn't me that stated that ...I only said that Tempest would stop production immediately.....

Khas))

Confussion

((does anyone agree we should get this issue straightened out perhaps from a GM?

Because if Clanners can Ship then that means they have their own ships or do they have to ship through Omni Tek merchants which is what I assumed after I found out clanners had independent contracts with Mars from that IRRK newswire. Any way seems confusing to me atm...:S....Khas))

(( they dont have ships, its the most logical conclusion. Since they do have rights, ICC would make Omni-Tek ship the notum. The contracts do not go through OT though.

If clans did all the sudden somehow get ships, which I still dont know how they would get any, you really think they would last. The way OT should be, they would do anything to be the top seller of notum. Those ships would find themselves destroyed be either front out assault, or mysterious explosions.

So either way I dont see how clans could have ships. Yes I know clans want ships, but realistically I dont see how they could get any and keep any. ))
    Last edited by Swiftmind; Jan 2nd, 2004 at 23:45:55.

((ooc: I think clarification is indeed needed here....so if a GM or Tchu would indulge us, that would be wonderful. Still, Swiftmind....how do Clans get the notum from our bases to the cannon in Clon****? how is any notum transported from bases to the cannon? Last time I looked, there were plenty both large and small ships taking off from both Tir and Old Athen by the way...so saying Clans cannot have ships seem a bit hasty ))
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus

((Bump for clarification, I agree. Maybe these small ships could be the relay between Clan territories and the cannons or whatever. But in all logics, they can't use independant companies to ship it for themselves either, unless it's clearly stated for us players that it's smuggling and violating accords - in which case Clans are in the illegality anyway. Also, I really don't see how the Clans could have *spaceships*, if anything, to themselves ship the Notum offworld. And if it's the case, I'd sure as hell like to know where they found the funds for this, and also how it's supposed to fit with their behavior. I mean, honestly, if the Clans can afford spaceships, then the whole "freedom fighters struggling everyday for their survival" doesn't hold water anymore, and I defy anyone then to prove me that "spending money to buy and maintain the spaceships" is more important than "helping the people to survive"

Okay, I know, I'm teasing, it's midnight and I'm half-asleep, so please pardon my goofyness. I'd still be happy with a clear, official explanation though. Honest.))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

(( Agreed on clearification. The ships flying around I think are neutral ships. I dont see any logos on them except some numbers, maybe I should take a closer look someday. But I guess they either are from Omni-Trans or ICC.

I mean, honestly, if the Clans can afford spaceships, then the whole "freedom fighters struggling everyday for their survival" doesn't hold water anymore, and I defy anyone then to prove me that "spending money to buy and maintain the spaceships" is more important than "helping the people to survive"
    That is what I mean it just wouldnt fit. ))

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast