Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix PET PATHING!!

Fix PET PATHING!!

Since 14.0, I've gone from someone who can deal good dmg in a group to someone who just runs around the whole mission trying to find his pets that keep getting stuck. This issue really needs to be addressed.
    Killrmeta
    Veteran of Synergy Factor
    lvl 220!!!!11one MP Diety - Player since 2001

I'm a 'crat, lvl 134.. and have a smaller MP too..

On pet pathing - there is a GAMEPLAY BUG in the Worm-type mission dungeons..

This isn't quite as severe for 'crat as MP's or Engies, but the pets don't make it through the mouth of the worm into the first room (less severe for crats, as we can mez and also nuke).

It strikes me that this is a *severe* problem for engies and MP's however..

Please fix it Funcom

X,

rk2

hmm.. forgot to add suggestion on how?

Physical redesign of the mouth would do it.. make the lower lip sloped so pets can get thru on either side of the "tongue"

Originally posted by Xlot
    hmm.. forgot to add suggestion on how?

Physical redesign of the mouth would do it.. make the lower lip sloped so pets can get thru on either side of the "tongue"
    nah...

Just let the pets cheat.. - When a pet can't see whoever it's supposed to be following/healing/fighting, you can just warp it back into range (instantly).

A quick fix for this specific scenario is pointless when pet pathing sucks everywhere..

/grnllama

bumpity

Bump......
    "You eat the Bronto Burger, I want a taco !"

Guild Storm

Formula44 Fixer
    Fishtaco Engineer NEW NAME is Craftwoman
    Americanpie Agent - Retired
    proctology Doctor
    formula Bureaucrat
    Account Created 2001-06-27 15:29:57

bump

Bump again to keep it going

~~~ Very little matters very much and almost nothing matters greatly. ~~~ "Feersum Endjinn" Iain M. Banks

I replied in a thread just earlier regarding pet pathing but want to say it here too. Pet pathing is something we are actively working on. Right now work is being done on the layout of missions to change or remove those items which affect pets (ie chairs etc).

If pets are gettign stuck on doors, please do tell me what the door looks like (or post a screenshot).
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

But pet pathing has become so much worse after 14.0!!!
    I thought you were actively working on improving it not making it worse?
    Last edited by Jokke; Apr 29th, 2002 at 13:40:23.

stuck on doors

the deal with pets geting stuck in doors is, the pet trys to follow you & not your path, so if its master stays close to a wall the pet loses LOS and trys to walk through a solid surface instead of around it..... hummm I guess a screen shot would be a better example.... how can I post a screen shot here ? http://forums.anarchy-online.com/ima...gos/aologo.jpg think I figured that one out

Guild Storm

Formula44 Fixer
    proctology Doctor
    formula Bureaucrat

Okay.

pet's get stuck in corners, and every single door if going into it at an angle. They also get stuck on tables, and sometimes, if you have them follow you, they run AWAY from you, out a door, and go all though the map taking long routes just to enter the door you were heading into. In other words, if you kept running, you end up walking into your pet that went another way into the room ahead.

Unhappy Lol

"remove chairs and things pet get stuck on...."

You might wanna remove all walls, doors, shelves aswell ....
    Since the pets are now totally useless when used inside.

Why not make a /warp command (or something ?
    The command makes the pets pop up right beside you (and not run off like to usually do ....).
    This command must work alwyas, with NO glitches .....

(What ? Did I hear the the pet pathing issue will be resolved when version 16.2 gets out ? .......)

- Sam (Not very happy with FC atm ...)
    Best Regards,

Samuz

4ever seeking ULTIMATE POWER

Samuz - Lvl 155 - the original Blackshirt of Zuwadza nipple twistin' MP (RK1)
    Alphaville *4 ever young* - Lvl 112 GAMKII smurfy' Fixer (RK1)
    Digitize - Lvl 50 Solider (RK1)
    Samuz - Lvl 29 Beam whippin' Enforcer (RK2)
    -= Played AO since the Beta days =-

Timezone ; GMT+1

** Re-activated AO on May 1st after being gone and playing other games for the past 14 months - I feel like the total n00b **

Look what this cosmik promised long ago. and nothing really happend, people are even more screwed since 14.0 or 13.8 in mys opinion...

Cosmik cosmik i known after 1 week that i am absolutely right with my opinion....

I always just thought my pet was a drunk with attention defecit disorder. You mean getting hung up on any and all objects is a bug? Running into walls continously isnt a gameplay feature? I figured my pet was bad and was taking some "time out" in the corner. Or was a Moslem who had to face Mecca for a bit before fighting. Or was just a state employee waiting for the "Hostile Action Authorization" to clear. Or..

I had been naming my pet "I Cant Path" for a while. One day I looked over and standing next to my 'Crat pet was an engineer with a pet named "I am Stuck". Quite a pair.

Regards,

Roeg
    Ridley: Solitus 'Crat, RK1

Originally posted by Axyrn
    Look what this cosmik promised long ago. and nothing really happend, people are even more screwed since 14.0 or 13.8 in mys opinion...

Cosmik cosmik i known after 1 week that i am absolutely right with my opinion....

Hmm, well, if you look at my post again you'll see I didn't promise anything. I said that we are actively working on pet pathing issues and still are. We know it's a big issue (I myself play 2 pet classes regularly) and are working at fixing it - but it's a multi-step process rather than a single foul swoop. As I said, one of the first big steps we are taking ot fixing it is removing troublesome furniture. Doorways are another issue as well. But we're working hard on fixing the pathing issues. I hope you'll see the changes soon.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Question Pathing - how?

What I find rather odd, is that missions are modular, built out of prefabricated components of fixed and known geometry. The standard method for pathing in such a situation is to incorporate path nodes into the world data which the AI can use to navigate. This prevents stupid behaviour such as getting stuck on furniture or doors. It does not help find the optimal route from point a to point b, but it does make the job easier.

Given all that, it would seem that, because pets and MOBs can get stuck on furniture, doors, walls etc, that AO does not use path noding. Is this the case, and if so, how exactly is AO trying to path? There are more dynamic methods, but they generally are fairly CPU intensive so I'd be surprised if AO was using them.

Any ideas anyone? Cosmik?

All the pet pathing work as an MP made me one hell of a puller as a soldier

Seems to be a bit easier to pull a mob when you know how to get it through a door and fully into a room (so the door closes behind it) as almost an afterthought due to long practice.

Maybe you should all go make soldiers and enforcers?

Thumbs down doh !

I wish I could just take the time investested from my enggie and assume another profession , my pet should be taken out back and dismantled..... played the whole weekend and 35 - 50% of my time was spent trying to get the dumb bastard from point A to point B you have gotta love the bots new found fetish... hump this, hump that, hell that looks new, lets hump it too....

Guild Storm

Formula44 Fixer
    proctology Doctor
    formula Bureaucrat

I can fix the pat pathing issue if you send me the code. Here it is very easy....

1) Open VC++ Project with MOB pathing
    2) CTRL-A
    3) CTRL-C
    4) Open VC++ Project with Pet Pathing
    5) CTRL-A
    6) CTRL- V

Boom... now tidy up and it's fixed. I have never seen a MOB chasing me run into a door jam, get stuck on a chair, or be hindered in any way. They are right on you. Outside, MOBs are straight as an arror right to me. My pet takes run 1/4 mile in the wrong direction then takes a 180 degree long sweeping turn back to the MOB if he just doens't run away after nothing.

(Sorry Cosmik, this is not directed at you I haved worked in software support so I know what it's like to have to deliver the BS statement from the developers to the customers. If it hot, soft, and smelly...it's probably sh*t.)

These excuses...

"Pet pathing is something we are actively working on. Right now work is being done on the layout of missions to change or remove those items which affect pets (ie chairs etc)."

...are nothing but bull. It has nothing to do with the structure of the mission rooms...IT HAPPENS OUTSIDE!!!!!!! (For the record last time I have seen it Mutant Camp by SW Outpost in Lush.) Every door is an issue they can't find them. I can be standing outside a door with my bot lined up staring at the MOB in the next room...nothing in the way...I hit attack and boom he takes off not after the mob but out of the room chasing after a butterfly or something. I've tried walking...helps a little but SLOW. I've tried lining him up exactly with the door, nope. Nothing works...but the MOBs are right on you. IT"S EVERY MISSION. Not specific ones with specific items...it's all of them. The code is busted not the mission design. Should we all start submitting in-game bug reports everytime it happens...this should give you all the details you need but you will certainly be flooded?

There is no way it's this hard to fix if MOBs can path pets should to...it's the same damn logic and decision structure. Every decision that needs to be made by a MOB when moving are the same decisions a pet needs to make. It needs to be fixed where the problem lies not covered or bandaided by changing what's in the mission rooms. Fine remove every table...pets will still get stuck and what then...remove the walls...fine...now it will just run off into space like it does outside...what then...remove the outside and we can all just float around in a vast ether...now they run into the ether, what now...wipe the servers problem solved.

I know I sound a) crazy, b) like a jerk, c) way to sarcastic but it's frustrating to read how the problem is going to be fixed by modifying little pieces to minimize the issue. My bot can get stuck in the main room....the big one. How do you tweek that room to fix it? It's like trying to fix a flat tire on your car with rubber cement....it just ain't gonna work. Rant Over.....

What kinda fix is that

"Right now work is being done on the layout of missions to change or remove those items which affect pets (ie chairs etc)."
    ---- Cosmik

Thats like fixing a flat tire, by flating the other 3, or 1 if your on a motorcycle, or 2 if your on a 3 wheeled cycle.

Fix pathing, dont remove items, soon misison will be one big box, at least now there a box with some chairs and couches.

Also Corners are the main issue! are you gonna turn the box into a circle? I dunno about you guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast