Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Engelens MA Guide

Thanks a ton for the guide. I am a complete newbie to AO. I have a level 40 Opifex MA (Wingchung) but Im about to erase him and start a new one (Shadowblayde) due to the starting-standard-misskilled syndrome.

I wish I had seen this guide first.

Part 7 Continued: Aspects of Being a Martial Artist

Placeholder
    Last edited by Engelen; Jan 17th, 2006 at 14:19:00.
    I'm a runaway train on a broken track,
    I'm a ticker on a bomb that you can't turn back this time,
    that's right, I got away with it all and I'm still alive

Placeholder for further updates ^_^

Another Placeholder (PvP updates planned, additional weapon content too)

Without this guide I would have been a übah n00b. Now im just a n00b. THANKS

Any possibility of the links to items etc gets updated from aodb to aomainframe soon?
    - Faith is in the eye of the beholder -
    Hangfaced, JVC, RK2
    Bargi on other Funcom forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hangy
    Any possibility of the links to items etc gets updated from aodb to aomainframe soon?
    Imagine someone just seeing their one million bank account being robbed...Then imagine me realizing this (I'll get right on it..but oh boy )

Edit: Went through it now, it seems that the links auto edited themselves when just opening the posts for editing. At least the links are now referring to the aomainframe.info page like they should, can you/someone confirm that it's working?
    Last edited by Engelen; Jan 16th, 2006 at 08:10:39.

Thanks for quick action

At a glance it seems that all but the symbiant links are working as intended now. My luck is that it was the symbiants I checked last night, and checked again now. They still point to aodb.
    Hangfaced, JVC, RK2

Symbiants should be fixed now

Quote Originally Posted by Engelen
    Symbiants should be fixed now
    Yup. Thanks again
    Hangfaced, JVC, RK2

Once again, many of us said that already, but thx for your ubah great work engelen.

I would just add something, didnt see it clearly debated : a word about crit scopes.
    As many MA noticed already, we have a big problem, due to the nature of our weapon : min dmg. This is an issue mostly in SL, and in particular in two cases many of us experiment on a daily basis : fighting hecklers and doing pen mishes.

So, is there no solution? Ofc there is one : crits. As you prolly said already, MA are a crit based profession. At high level, something like 50% or more of your dmg comes from crits. We have awesome buffs (UVC 4tw!), but any piece of crit increase is gold for us (imho). And the most important part of equipment about that is the crit scope.
    Basically, there are 3 differents scopes to consider nowadays :
    -gurgling river sprite (the one from Hollow Island)
    -RK vision enhancers
    -AI viral targeting subunit

My personnal opinion about them.
    -Gurgling river sprite is great up to TL6-7. The -50 init is hardly noticable indeed,the crit mod is ok, and it allows you to fight full def with a reasonnable lost of speed, enhancing your survival abilities especially when you know that MA relies mostly on evades for survive. A must have for froobs or pre TL6/7

-The vision enhancers are, imho, mainly a PVP stuff. Why? The Aimed Shot buff. AS is dark blue for MA, and you dont always have a pocket agent to give you that yummy TTS, so if you use the bow hotswap technique, get the highest VE you can (can go up to QL275! +9 crit, -443 inits, and +336 AS!) Worth the 30m ppl ask for if you go pvp mainly

-And finally, the viral targeting subunit. Ok, it's nodrop, and you have to grab it in city alien Raids. But, at QL300, it adds +15 crit increase for -500 to all init, and even for the fun, it adds +25 to NanoInit(dont try to understand why ). Now, let's see. Compared to VE, if you go PvM mainly, trading +6 crit increase for -70 init should be an obvious choice. Now, what would it be compared to river gurgling spriite? At lvl 213, i can self without scope a nifty 1700ish physic init, and i consider myself as rather gimp... so with my 300 scope, my Physic init is still 1200, but i gain +10 to crit increase compared to HI scope ! No wonder. Try it ingame. Try to simulate dmg. At full def, the gain in dmg output is not spectacular but it's still a bit. At full agg, there is a world between those. With aggro bar set for 1/1, you really gain a lot of dmg from this scope. Ok, you tend to pull aggro ^^ but arent we designed to be secondary tank? At least the enfo will have some work with you in team, and you still have acrobat if things turns wrong

That's it, was my 2 cents of the day. I guess most of high lvl MA already know about that, but it's still a debatable point for all those growing fellows all over Rubi Ka. Ignore it or implement it somewhere in your guide (if i am not getting totally ridiculous cause i missed the part speaking about that), it's up to you but i think the scope choice is essential for Martial Artists.

And once again, thx for your guide !! It has been a bible for me since i play MA and it's still a reference even if i know (wear... use...) all that stuff perfectly now ^^
    Last edited by Kahina; Jan 19th, 2006 at 21:13:48.
    Lady 'Kahina' Draconis, lvl 220/23 neutral MA equip
    This message is hidden because Nanofox1 is on your ignore list.
    Crawling 'Kathryna' Chaos, lvl 220/25 neutral Trader equip
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I guess if AO continued to develop like this, in the year 2087 it would basically be Rock Paper Scissor Online.
    Scissor wouldn't stand a chance against Rock but Paper still wants Scissor nerfed.

You're absolutely right Kahina, it's a topic I haven't covered yet. I have been planning on covering it on the next updates on more advanced gameplay, but alas I've been busy with work and my Keeper so it hasn't been much time

Your input is awesome and definitely something I'm grateful for, since it gave me something concrete to work with tomorrow. Thanks alot!
    Last edited by Engelen; Jan 17th, 2006 at 09:39:02.

Rebuild done, let me know what you feel about the new setup! Personally I like it better now, since it's much easier to read from start to finish and get the important basic stuff first.

See you soon for more advanced updates, still gotta work on the crit part, and should write some about PvP tactics too. There's more to come
    Last edited by Engelen; Jan 17th, 2006 at 18:00:27.

Geez Engelen, nice revamp.
    You made an awesome job. I said it already but, this is the best prof guide ever.
    I'm even quoted in O.o
    /me blushes

When I hit TL7 with trader i should try to do as good as you did for a trader guide. Wish me good luck

Oh btw while i'm here... another little suggestion for another part of the guide. What about predator set? Did I miss it? Imo, it's a pretty good set for TL3 MA, even if it might be a lil tricky to get it for a main, but even if the AC is just correct, init+evades+body dev+nano pool + other yummy buff like crit increase (O.o), XP modifier, and +scale (for the fun ) make this set really nice.
    And dont lie, i know you used to wear pred circlet till TL7 , and other parts can be good stand alone (thinking of the sleeves eg).
    And it looks hawt!

And another one : modified notucommesh trenchcoat. The best evade back item ever. Lots of high MAs seems to be found of it. Even if it looks ugly (imho). Still very tricky if you want to farm the pieces yourself.

Oh and maybe a last one in AI part : ObiTom's Nano calculator. Made from Aquarius multitask helper and notum ampllification coil from Apf sector 28, still 2 to crit, no more NR, but a -2 to nanocost. Considering the insane amouts of nano that the last dmg buff requires, should maybe be helpful. And after you get it, maybe grab another Aquarius multitask helper, max your crit out, and try to OD Lunette at pande (ok, it should be hard but we can always dream).

Cheers.
    Last edited by Kahina; Jan 19th, 2006 at 21:14:14.
    I guess if AO continued to develop like this, in the year 2087 it would basically be Rock Paper Scissor Online.
    Scissor wouldn't stand a chance against Rock but Paper still wants Scissor nerfed.

Btw...

This effect on low AC mobs can be solved by using a Blades of Boltar, but not everyone has access to those. I'll cover them in the advanced section.

On high AC mobs you mean?
    Last edited by Kahina; Jan 19th, 2006 at 21:14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahina
    Btw...

This effect on low AC mobs can be solved by using a Blades of Boltar, but not everyone has access to those. I'll cover them in the advanced section.

On high AC mobs you mean?
    It was a very...long....day

Thanks again, fixing it right now. All your contributions are now added and credited, thank you so much! I can't quite forgive myself for forgetting about them though..but that's what you guys are here for!
    Last edited by Engelen; Jan 18th, 2006 at 09:14:08.

Gawd, i'm just doing contributions to try enhance the best job ever done about a prof guide

It seems this guide is not so far from perfection... if other fellows martial artist wanna add more they're welcome ! MA is so nice to play Even if we need more love from FC (geez why are those recharges times on heals so long? We are supposed to be best healers after Docs and lubchilds... but in game even TL4 traders heal more than a 220 MA... i know what i'm talking about i have one )

In AI items section, maybe add Communications Relay? Rare drop in city raids, but if you can get your hands on one, especially at lower lvls, the nanoskill boost never hurts
    Last edited by Kahina; Jan 19th, 2006 at 21:14:36.

Good idea, thanks

Really, every single bit of contribution and correction only makes the guide better and more correct and I'm happy to add the information to it. Keep it coming

Ok, time for maybe some more contributions.

Let's start : about spirit shroud of infantry unit.
    There is a thing to notice : when you right click on it, it changes type, that means that you have all the spirit shroud types in one ! You can notice that the abitity requirment changes with the shroud type, but at the time you wear it it shouldnt be a problem. So, why is it interesting? Because you can adapt it to your gameplay, mood, or needs. And let's see out what you can get : extermination gives -2 nanocost, control gives good all around skill and 2 crit resistance, support gives +1xp modifier , and artillery gives....hum...+1 crit increase ! Really to consider when you're on the mood of maxing dmg, as long as it is the only back item that adds crit increase.

Let's continue : a word about tanking.
    Ok, you cleared that out quite well. Just a personnal thought. Using taunts CAN be useful (hum when i speak about taunts it's only Eternal Enmity, others are really pure crap), and especially, if you're talking about jealousy augmented aggression enhancer, just dont forget about it. Ok, let's make it clear, you cant jump in a fight, attack, cast taunt, and grab agg. It wont work for sure. But still... it taunts more or less as much as jealousy. Sure it uses your nano and prevents you from casting heals when it's recharging.
    So when to use it? It's simple, if you're assigned as the tank in your team, just cast it on the mob before first hit, and then do the usual thing (alpha crit crit crit). Use it as soon as you lose agg aswell as other items (flurry and jealousy). Chain it if you can. I can guarantee that properly used, i've seen many times the following:
    'Casting Nanoprogram : Eternal Enmity . Nasty mob is attacking you !' (And i dont have jealousy tool).
    In one word, use it in cases you are in a balanced team with mobs often switching agg, it will help you to stick to agg.. Use it as long as you dont have to cast heal/dmg buff. Also, it's a nice help along with jealousy tool when you're on the add control, as soon as you see the mob popping up to fight team, cast it, and if you dont get agg switch target immediatly. Can quite often allows you to have adds on your back without switching from main target. And remember that it is useless to taunt yourself ! (I've done that so many times... *sigh*).
    Just to finish about tanking in general. Efforts pay. You have some tools of the trade. Fight for agg till you have used all the usable perks/items/nano you have. A good shortcut in a grey shortcut. Move the agg bar a bit up if you lose agg too often. Even more if you can afford it (as long as you're not being hit more than the doc can handle). Grabbing and sticking to agg is my favorite role as a MA (this is how i figured out how to use taunts...). But be prepared for it. In team, when i'm assigned to tank role, i'd rather hug reclaim first if someone does. And i dont mind as long as everyone did his best. As i tried to do. After all, sometime team cant succeed cause the challenge was too high. No shame about that. (Geez it's a RPG after all, heroic gameplay doesnt hurt )

Last thing... it has been done in other posts but maybe just lil word about AS in pvp? Just a few things : 1. Only 2 bows to consider if you AS in pvp, the pow bow, and the sappistic bow, as they both have the lowest equip time (0.1s) so you can hotswap efficiently. 2. Remember that you DONT need concealment to land AS in pvp. 3. Along with regular VE scope, switch your eye symbiant from support to infantry, as infantry eye symbs add AS.

Ok, i admit, this is not essential. Just maybe noticeable.

<3 engelen <3
    Last edited by Kahina; Jan 19th, 2006 at 21:14:48.

Thanks Kahina, I've added a little bit about the Shroud and Eternal Enmity. I had to shorten it alot, since I've capped the 15000 letter limit in that post

When it comes to PvP and Bows, I just haven't started that part yet. PvP is not a big priority of this guide, but I will cover it once I get time to work on the more advanced/PvP parts(which will cover things like Root/Snare Resist, Bows, Aimed, Tactics, Armor and Perk Setups and so on). Even then, it will mostly be used for helping new players to get "into" it.

I will need alot of research and feedback on the subject first since it's not my primary field of playing and I hardly PvP in this game apart from some 1 on 1 duels due to my feelings for these 1 FPS Towerwars, but it will come. Thanks for the feedback

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast