Thread: 14.2 ? Funcom please read im sure everyone will want to know this..

Exclamation 14.2 ? Funcom please read im sure everyone will want to know this..

Since I hear that MA crit buffs will be made self only (new versions coming out to cast on other classes) and overequipting armor and wepons over 20% will nerf them my question is this.....Will Mobs health and damage output also be reduced? To me it would make sence because your nerfing every classes AC and almost every classes dmg (cept MA if you use only your fists because we dont use wepons) this will probly be what will make alot of people click cancel if you dont also nerf mobs.

thanks.

Re: 14.2 ? Funcom please read im sure everyone will want to know this..

Originally posted by oldfartma
    Since I hear that MA crit buffs will be made self only (new versions coming out to cast on other classes) and overequipting armor and wepons over 20% will nerf them my question is this.....Will Mobs health and damage output also be reduced? To me it would make sence because your nerfing every classes AC and almost every classes dmg (cept MA if you use only your fists because we dont use wepons) this will probly be what will make alot of people click cancel if you dont also nerf mobs.
    thanks.
    Scroll down and read #3.
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...articles/2640L
    Grupurt Division 9 [RSGE] Ret.
    Second Nanomage Agent To Hit Lvl 200 on RK1

RK1

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Then re-read it again before posting the Nth (not by you, but by others) rant on this board about the changes. Keep a keen eye on that sentence in that article containing the word "NEVER" before using that specific word in said rant

Tap

P.S. Just kidding about the ranting, but sometimes it does seem like people are only reading every other sentence in those articles.
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Why would they really need to lower mobs AC and damage output? If you did heavy OE and were fighting deep red mobs with relative ease, you can't expect to be able to fight the same mobs after 14.2. You'll actually have to fight yellow or maybe oranges/light reds as it should be.

IMO, lowering mob AC and damage would completely defeat the purpose of the OE fix.

If you are forced to hunt yellows you dont level which is inturn incredibly boring and defeats the purpose of the GAME.
    If you can't beat them, Hit them in the face with a wrench

Rubirango

Well, if being able to level super fast is how you envision as the purpose of the game, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. Try playing EverQuest sometime. There's some slow leveling for ya.

Learn some patience, realize it's not a race to hit lvl 200, and you'll enjoy the game much more.

Originally posted by SypherBoy
    Why would they really need to lower mobs AC and damage output? If you did heavy OE and were fighting deep red mobs with relative ease, you can't expect to be able to fight the same mobs after 14.2. You'll actually have to fight yellow or maybe oranges/light reds as it should be.

IMO, lowering mob AC and damage would completely defeat the purpose of the OE fix.
    Ever thought about the characters who can barely solo yellows?

The chars that can barely solo yellows has to be rebalanced. If you change the mobs, it will affect every classes, and some will become 'too good'.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

>>If you are forced to hunt yellows you dont level which is inturn incredibly boring and defeats the purpose of the GAME.

lol... I thought we went over this? :P

Leveling isn't the soly, only, unique purpose of the game... if it is to you, that would explain your other frustrated posts. And while my heart still goes out to you, nevertheless, if you're still unwilling to change your outlook, you'll never be happy in AO .

And btw, I do know people who solo yellows and level that way. True they're currently 20 levels behind me (75 opposed to 95), but they also don't play the insane amount of time that I waste on this game either .

dude...

Well, if being able to level super fast is how you envision as the purpose of the game, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. Try playing EverQuest sometime. There's some slow leveling for ya.

Learn some patience, realize it's not a race to hit lvl 200, and you'll enjoy the game much more.
    Dude, stfu about how AO should be like EQ. One of the greatest BOONS that make AO better then EQ is the faster leveling and no downtimes. If AO goes to being an xp crawl and copying everythign else 'like EQ', then EQ will have virtually EVERY edge on top of AO, leaving AO just a sci-fi clone with a ridiculous storyline, completely unbalanced weapons, and buggy/laggy like hell.

Honestly speaking, if someone hardcore levels and hits level 200 in 3 months, that's just fine. Has it ever occured to you that I'd like to play more then one character??? I'd love to play 3-4 different characters and enjoy them all. I don't want to be stuck playing one class for 3 years (like I did in EQ). It's depressing and it only makes me feel like a loser when I reach the pinnacle.

The game designers should play up the benefits of AO and just cut the losses when it comes to other stuff. Fix the weapon balance, fix the sloppy code, make the war between clans/omni more real, and AO will be allright.

Wasting manpower on 'fixing critical buffs' when the game still runs like **** is a mismanagement of resources.

I didn't mean AO should be like EQ. Sorry if it came out that way. AO should absolutely NOT be like EQ. All I was saying was compare leveling times. Even hunting greens/yellows all day in AO will be far faster than getting a level in EQ.

Honestly speaking, if someone hardcore levels and hits level 200 in 3 months, that's just fine. Has it ever occured to you that I'd like to play more then one character???
    Maybe that's just fine in your opinion, but I doubt Funcom would want it to be that way. It's in a company's best interest to keep their customers as long as possible. People will be able to do a bunch of professions in less than a year. They'll get bored and quit since there's nothing more to do. And what is stopping you from starting more than one character? Do you think you have to hit 200 before starting a new one?

The biggest flaw with most people's thinking is that the entire goal of the game is to level up as fast as possible.

uh

EQ had 50 levels. AO has 200. So about 4 AO levels is equal to 1 EQ level. For me to level from 136 to 140 takes 15 hours. For me to level from 32-33 in EQ takes 5 hours.

So, I don't actually know where this "AO progress is so much faster" comes from...

~~~~

As for other stuff, well, if you haven't realized, the only way to actually 'progress' your character is through leveling. You can't really get better at trade skills without leveling, you can't become a better fighter without leveling, you can't really get more tokens without leveling, you can't use better weapons or nanos without leveling... so no wonder people see leveling as fast as possible as key to success in this game. There is no other way!

That's not really a flaw in people's thinking. That's a flaw in game design (centered around the supposedly GREAT ip skill system). Funcom should get around to that after they make this game run without crashing/lagging.

>>As for other stuff, well, if you haven't realized, the only way to actually 'progress' your character is through leveling. You can't really get better at trade skills without leveling, you can't become a better fighter without leveling, you can't really get more tokens without leveling, you can't use better weapons or nanos without leveling... so no wonder people see leveling as fast as possible as key to success in this game. There is no other way!

you're still staying within same paradigm instead of looking out.

What do you need to be a better fighter for? To fight better... what do you need better weapons or (most) nanos for? For better fighting...

It's a circular thing you've defined there...
    So sure thing, to fight better you need to fight more.
    But who says that should be your focus?

In fact, you seem to define "character progress" as "levels". I'm not sure I'd agree there.
    Most of the high level people that I know have not "progressed their character" at ALL. Ask them where their character is from, what's their history, what are they doing on Rubi-Ka. See what their answer is, after playing a Roleplaying game for so long ;-)

To have "fun" or to "succeed in game" - you neither HAVE to fight nor level as much as most people do.

What can a lvl 200 Enforcer do that a lvl 100 can't? Or even a lvl 50?

Outside of battle? Nothing.
    Inside a battle? Well, darn near nothing once again. You get a better mongo and better hammer and better armor, and mobs get better as well. The experience is absolutelly the same as far as *leveling* goes on lvl 150 as it is on lvl 10. I challenge you to disprove me.

I spend about 10-20% of my time on Rubi-Ka fighting. I'm now level 100 and going, and I had fun in the process. So - bollocks :).

if somebody chooses to mindlessly level in anticipation that they'll have some big reward on lvl 150 or 200, that's their own choice, by default.

I choose to smell the roses and reap my rewards whenever I can :).

now I don't say that focusing on fight or leveling is a BAD thing. The beauty of the game is that choice. I know people who are climbing at 3 time my speed and are having a blast!:)

What I don't understand is why some people *choose* to level over anything else, then *complain*, as if somebody *else* made them focus on leveling? :(

Just look outside the box, that's ALL it takes:). It's not me who "hasn't realized the only way to progress" ;).

>>There is no other way!

I guess this is the basic point that beffudles me and at the same time amuses me endlessly in discussions like this .

Somebody else telling me that I must have hallucinated the experiences I have personally had .

.... but we digress hugely here ...
    Last edited by Nostra343; Apr 21st, 2002 at 23:40:37.

so no wonder people see leveling as fast as possible as key to success in this game. There is no other way!

That's not really a flaw in people's thinking. That's a flaw in game design (centered around the supposedly GREAT ip skill system).
    So what you're saying is Funcom should make it as easy as possible to get to level 200. Possibly by doing what the original poster said by lowering mob AC and HP. Possibly by raising crit buffs, bringing back implant stepping, removing OE penalties, etc.

Exclamation actually what I want is....

I played AO since it came out people slowly figured out how to OE and implant centers stacked 100 treatment every time you clicked on it thus they were putting on sick armor and wepons....what did funcom do about it?! they gave monsters more hit points and AC to compensate for a few classes heavily over equipting. Instead of fixing the problem before it got too big. Now there making it so you cant over equipt past 20% (or you get penalized so there will be no point in OE past 20%) so what I see them doing is nerfing the player but not nerfing the mob. so if you suck at soloing now and they dont nerf mobs a bit its gonna be super tough for some classes to even solo greens. what would I like funcom to do? bring mobs back to the way they were before they buffed them up because there nerfing players OE ability (maybe not totally the way they were IE never casting spells but nerfing there health and AC a bit to keep them on par with players not being able to overequipt as much so this game dont end up a EQ clone were you MUST group to get almost anything done.)

ahh back to the topic

Agreed O . I am a wee bit surprised they aren't bringing the mobs down in 14.2 already... but perhaps they will have a patch ready to fix mobs quickly in a day or two after 14.2, depending how the balance ends up.

Is 14.2 on test servers yet? That would help this conversation a lot . As it is, honestly, we can not predict the impact of 14.2 any better then designers :-/

So what you're saying is Funcom should make it as easy as possible to get to level 200. Possibly by doing what the original poster said by lowering mob AC and HP. Possibly by raising crit buffs, bringing back implant stepping, removing OE penalties, etc.
    Don't put words in other people's mouths. What I said is that every skill based ability your character can do is 100% reliant on the amount of xp you have and how you spend your IP. It has no reliance on how well you use your weapon, or how many bots you make, or how many implants you create, etc. Your characters experience with a weapon, trade, ability, has NO RELEVANCE. You can swim up and down a river for 8 years in AO. If you don't spend Ip on swimming (which you can only REALLY get from monsters) , it won't go up. If you want to actually become a better swimmer, you have no choice and MUST kill monsters to get the xp to get the ip to invest it.

You can get to lvl 200 using a kitchen knife and because of the IP system and implants, be the best nano programmer and best assualt rifle wielder on Rubi Ka, and the two have absolutely no correlation to each other. THAT's the point I'm making, so wake up and realize it instead of making my words seem to support your lame point.

As for you Nostra, you aren't making any points that are related to this thread. So instead of going off topic and arguing with you about your roleplaying rhetoric and the other yawning bs you spouted, I'll stay on topic.

>>As for you Nostra, you aren't making any points that are related to this thread. So instead of going off topic and arguing with you about your roleplaying rhetoric and the other yawning bs you spouted, I'll stay on topic.

That I'm off topic, that's true... that you're on topic, cannot relly be justified :-(.
    Check the first post (about whether Mob AC/HP would be reduced or not) and see how commenting on the way XP system works is "on topic":). At best (or at worst), you digressed off the main topic, then I digressed off your topic (or more properly, beepop's really) :).

But we're both pretty much in the same boat :).

OldFartMa is the only one consistently "On Topic" in this thread:). And he reinforced this topic in his last post. I even had a meager post On Topic myself, right before your off-topic one! :)
    Whee for me :).

Off-Topic: How many leets have you guys hugged lately? :)

edit: All that topicness out of the way, I absolutelly agree with your last post (except with the statement that it's on topic... ok ok I'll knock it off, stop hitting me guys!:)).
    I am pretty good with NP (as an MP), but building implants never gave me any useful XP. Consider - perhaps even Xp's for Buffing people would make sense - not only for MP's and traders, but enforcers, MA's, almost everybody :). 'course somebody would end up exploiting it, but it makes sense in a way - you get better by buffing people...
    perhaps they should merely increase the amount of XP given for trade-skills - for example, there's almost no incentive (unless I'm missing something) to invest in Weapon Smithing except just for fun and possibly tips... :-/

edit2: I just wanted to say "topic topic topic topic" few more times... the word has lost all meaning :P
    Perhaps I should get some sleep... :P
    Last edited by Nostra343; Apr 22nd, 2002 at 04:59:47.