Thread: A lesson to Omni Tek and Phillip Ross in Profit Maximisation and Peace

Red face A lesson to Omni Tek and Phillip Ross in Profit Maximisation and Peace

April 28, 29374 AD:

Clan-affiliated terrorists blow up four notum operations in a coordinated strike, killing both security forces and miners. Notum shipments are reduced by 13%, costing Omni-Tek hundreds of billions of credits.

I see "hundreds of billions of credits" lost.

I asked myself why.

The answer: Because Omni Tek mistreated the miners that toiled their lives away in the Notum Mines.

From a Hypercorporation's point of view, Profit Maximisation defines their existence. I would be surprised if Phillip Ross told me that he would do anything on Rubi-Ka that threatened the profits of the Omni Tek Hypercorporation as a whole.

Put it another way, he would definitely answer that he would PREVENT ANYTHING that would threaten the profits of the Omni Tek Hypercorporation.

Perhaps in all its greed, the Omni Tek Hypercorporation got excited about Notum, and it made the mistake of slave driving the miners to the point where they could no longer endure the inhuman conditions. That's profit maximisation, in the short run.

BUT, question yourselves Omni employees, and even you, Phillip Ross, do you think you would be making more money now, if you had treated the miners with every damn respect a human deserves?

I would say that you would have saved yourselves AT LEAST hundreds of billions of credits and more and more as the longer the war between Clan and Omni draws out. The Omni Tek Hypercorporation could even have eliminated any threat from Sol Banking Hypercorporation easily, with the amount of money that they have lost to the conflict. This is profit maximisation, in the long run.

Do Omni Tek a favour Ross, make an official apology to the Clans whom you have mistreated, subject OTRK to the punishment by ICC for having mistreated the miners, compensate the Clans for the innumerable mistakes you have commited against them in the past, immediately setup improved facilities for mining operations, make your employees happy, and you will be too, when the credits start rolling in.

After all, what is Vengence to a Hypercorporation in the face of Profit Maximisation?

For all those extremist OT employees, I say learn the principles of Profit Maximisation, you are not extreme employees if you dont help your company make more money. Shooting people and blowing up buildings is a waste of money and resources, you would be better off working in the mines.

To all those OT personnel who don't agree with helping their company make money, I don't even know why OT hired you in the first place, to help them spend their money?

Re: A lesson to Omni Tek and Phillip Ross in Profit Maximisation and Peace

Originally posted by Actuary
    April 28, 29374 AD:

Clan-affiliated terrorists blow up four notum operations in a coordinated strike, killing both security forces and miners. Notum shipments are reduced by 13%, costing Omni-Tek hundreds of billions of credits.

I see "hundreds of billions of credits" lost.

I asked myself why.
    Here's why: because criminal agitators, funded by outside interests, spread lies and discontent amongst the work force and induced them to rebel.

For all those extremist OT employees, I say learn the principles of Profit Maximisation, you are not extreme employees if you dont help your company make more money. Shooting people and blowing up buildings is a waste of money and resources, you would be better off working in the mines.
    For all your misguided and ignorant clanners, I say learn the principles of market stabilization. Market cannot function well in areas of turmoil and unrest, lawlessness and chaos, violence and rapine; trade is disrupted and the very underpinings of the economy assaulted. A strong state order is the first prerequisite of a functioning market economy, so I'm afraid that in the interests of a stable, functioning market, the rule of OT law must return to whole of the planet before we can even think of profit maximization.
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

Profit Maximisation

That is a very naive view of the current economics of Notrum exploitation - propaganda wrapped in a faux 'corporate' sheath. A public apology to the clans? For what? For undertaking actions necessary to meet Notrum demand throughout the ICC?

Omni-Tek provides the best staff benefits and working conditions for all legal Notrum mining in the ICC. Omni-Tek has won awards for its treatment of Rubi-Ka citizens - all Rubi-Ka citizens! And Omni-Tek does this while meeting ICC production quotas for Notrum.

Over 400 *years* ago Omni-Tek signed agreements to guarantee even better conditions for all workers - including those who did not have full-time employment with Omni-Tek. Omni-Admin has already tried to make the first move in establishing a peaceful settlement in the form of an amnesty - an amnesty that was abused by Clan activists and warmongers.

Omni-Tek provides the air you breathe, the food you eat and the insurance policy you test on a regular basis. In return you steal our Notrum, attack our staff and abuse the privelidge we provide.

You want an apology for this?

Actually here's why FeloniousPunk:

29112 AD

ICC receives the first serious complaints regarding Omni-Tek workers' conditions on Rubi-Ka. The mortality rate of the miners is alarmingly high, as are reports of brutality by security forces. Meanwhile, the salaries of OT workers are starting a downwards slide, caused - officials say - by a decline in the galactic economy and the demand for notum.

November 02, 29129 AD

A notum mine near Omni-2 collapses, trapping three hundred automatons, eighty-five bio-engineered non-sentient creatures, and seventy-two Atrox workers. Omni-Tek refuses to launch a rescue-operation, claiming time and cost concerns, and a limited chance of success.

29137 AD

Deadly accidents in the notum-mines increase at a rate of ten percent per year.

July 31, 29199 AD

After a series of terrible accidents, the Guild announces a general strike, demanding new equipment, reduced shifts, and higher salaries. Omni-Tek declares the strike illegal, and sends in heavily armed troops to ensure the continued operation of the mines.

And the list goes on. But OT did nothing to make things better.

Granted, it could be that Sol Banking Corporation or some such other competitor sabotaged the operations, but the antiquated equipment that OT refused to change, and the brutality shows that it is they themselves that are rather uncaring of the people who worked for them.

FeloniousPunk: "the rule of OT law must return to whole of the planet before we can even think of profit maximization."

So you are willing to allow OT to waste money on dealing with the clanners all the time? Instead of convincing the clanners that OT is willing to change, for real of course, give them what they want, better equipment, living conditions and so on and so forth.

I understand your concern with other extremist clan groups, extremist groups exist in OT as well, and if under OT law, those groups can escape punishment by OT officials, then how do you expect that under CoT, the extremist clan groups can be persecuted? Please don't blame the Clans for problems that ARE beyond the control of what is humanly possible. The clans don't want The Dust Brigade and other such groups as much as OT don't want them.

It is obvious that it is going to take OT and Clans to get rid of "criminal agitators, funded by outside interests, spread lies and discontent amongst the work force and induced them to rebel". I mean, what would the Clans stand to benefit from if OT were gone forever? There would be Sol Banking or some such other corporation who wants to take over RK, which would be no better than OT rule, or worse, the clan starts fighting amongst themselves over Notum.

Its best that both OT and Clans understand the symbiotic relationship that allows them both to exist under the twin suns of Rubi-Ka. Without OT, Sol Banking would probably come in to take over, not so good for the Clans either. Without Clans, OT wouldn't have the workforce to mine Notum, and it would certainly not have been able to fend itself from an attack by Sol Banking should it happen again.

It's best that Clans and OT work together for the better of our planet Rubi-Ka.

And now to Mechanita:

"Over 400 *years* ago Omni-Tek signed agreements to guarantee even better conditions for all workers - including those who did not have full-time employment with Omni-Tek. Omni-Admin has already tried to make the first move in establishing a peaceful settlement in the form of an amnesty - an amnesty that was abused by Clan activists and warmongers. "

Omni-Tek signed but did nothing, that was a fact.

True, there is a certain proportion of Clan members who do not speak reason, nor is their action driven by reason. I do not deny even that whatever crimes OT were responsible for, the Clans were just as bad. But don't forget that violence bred violence, hatred bred hatred.

I quote:

"There is a war, and innocent people were caught between the two warring sides. Some of those innocents would empathise with the clans, which was inevitable. It was easier to understand their motivations. They fought for a theoretical freedom, for liberty, for democracy. It would always be harder to understand Omni-Tek's position, that order and obediance were necessary for this planet to survive, for true freedom to emerge, gradually, over time."

I agree very much with this.

Last of all:

"Omni-Tek provides the air you breathe, the food you eat and the insurance policy you test on a regular basis. In return you steal our Notrum, attack our staff and abuse the privelidge we provide.

You want an apology for this?"

The answer is, No.

The clans want an apology for mistreating them, the proof can be found in the above quote from the timeline.

Re: A lesson to Omni Tek and Phillip Ross in Profit Maximisation and Peace

Originally posted by Actuary
    April 28, 29374 AD:

Clan-affiliated terrorists blow up four notum operations in a coordinated strike, killing both security forces and miners...

If the clans want to free the miners from their "squalid existence" that is definitely one way to do it.

OK I had friend say I should be readin this cause I used ta be an Omni-Tek Miner type person so prolly got some "Insights" on this. I not sure what insight is but after friend explain what most big words mean I gonna say a few things.

I was happy when I was miner. I never saw sun, ate mush (except when I get be employee of month, then get pudding! Pudding is great!), worked all day and slept on iron slab. But that not bother I really at all. It all I ever be knowin. I kinda wonder sometimes why all us big Atrox type peoples gotta be workin all day and some peoples just stands around and watches us. I had some friends that no be happy much but then they were littler then I even when I was littler then I is now, anyways they no could work as hard so they get shocked from times to times but that just way things go.

It not till some Clan type peoples show up and I best friend Rolly get us all to follow them and get ta be free. Now that I's gets ta eat Bronto Burgers and sleep on bed and see Suns I no never wanna be back in Mines, but back when I in mines it not bother I much.

Hmmmm I think I not making point, what I tryin ta say is Omni no really have ta treat peoples all super good if they not know they bein treated all bad 'n stuff. I not like it and think it wrong but that the way it be. It not till other peoples tell the miner type people that their life really not good that the miners wanna be free 'n stuff. So that why Omni prolly not give miners good stuff.

Or I's could be completely wrong. I often is. Well I gonna go back to reclaim now and see if big bad problem with Insurance fixed so Rolly can come back.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer