Thread: "Hunting" is silly

Unhappy "Hunting" is silly

Am I the only person who thinks hunting is silly? The idea of just running around killing random animals/mutants makes me feel like more of a poacher then a citizen attempting to make a difference in a virtual world. I wouldnt mind so much of they were aggro, or threatened something worth saving but it seems that they keep to themselves and dont bother anyone and I feel like a murderer attacking them. I guess Im alot more interested in having an enjoyable rich experience at each level then powerleveling by going on murderous raids of seemingly peaceful mutant camps. Anyone else feel the same? feel different?

Personally I think it's rude walking into someones house or work establishment, killing everyone and taking their stuff.

The Mutants aren't peaceful. They organize and raid player towns often. There's supposed to be some sort of story behind the Mutants, Cyborgs, Enigmas, ....

.... well, there's supposed to be a story.

But anyway, the mutants do attack when a GM stops powerleveling his alt.

The mutants are the result of genetic experiments gone awry either by Omni (if you believe the clans) or the clans (if you believe Omni).

They are unstable and hence dangerous. As to the other animals, well there are some I won't hunt such as the Silvertails and the Moontails because they are so beautiful. You may decide on your own which animals you will hunt and which you won't.

There are plenty of animals that WILL aggro on you so I suppose you could restrict your hunting to those type of animals.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

I don't know, people like to hunt rabbits and squirrls, when was the last time you heard of someone attacked by small furry rodents with fluffy tails? Not a lot of people hunt things that can potentially kill them or have a strong desire to kill them.
    Oren "Ironheel" Fadri
    Clan Enforcer

Talking When Bunnies Attack

Didn't President Jimmy Carter get attacked by a bunny way many years ago?

Or is that just my childhood overactive imagination at work again? =)

Manzuri

Maybe...

hunting could've gotten some additional incentive if Funcom added something like "A side of Bronto beef" to the loot, which could be sold to the peeps at the BB stands. For a decent sum of creds, of course, relating to QL.
    That's just one minor addition to the db, and a break from the monster parts, gems, rocks, u name it.

Just a thought, anyways
    Buford Hitokage Matt

Explorer 73% | Socializer 66% | Achiever 33% | Killer 26%
    -

Don't fear the night...
    fear the ones hiding in it.
    -

"Jesus is coming - Look busy"
    -

"Im not Uber. Im your common joe. Im level 178 and untitled. I never had a title and I never really cared whether I got one. All I really wanted was to have fun, learn new stuff and put my creativity to some use." - PhiliosPhreak

A working economy would have had a lot of ways to gain exp / money.

I dont see that in the cards for AO...

But lets dream a bit...

Kill animals for meat and sell to food stalls, or other special items that could be sold to tradeskill oriented professions.

Find raw materials / ore in the wild / loot and sell to factories.

Buy cheap goods at factories and load up a Carrier, then haul it to town selling it at a profit to stores or players ( Yup. I am dreaming )

Get "missions" from city bound employers to deliver or fetch things. No killing, mazes or dungeons involved...just plain ole working for those inclined to do so.

Piracy and theft ( Fixers might like this )
    Killing or detaining a Carrier or player traveling through certain areas for ransom / looting of goods.

Fixers or others with high B&E ( lacking a Theft skill ) might be able to relieve you of random non-NODROP items.

Supply and demand affecting prices...

A shop has no cyber armor ?

Organize a team for protection, hike out to an armor factory and buy a bunch, hike back, defending your cargo, sell it and split the profits. Maybe make shops dispense missions for items out of stock, automating the process of splitting the profits when the mission is complete.

When that shop is stuffed with goods it no longer has a demand for that type of goods, preventing players from doing the same thing over and over milking cash / exp.

And prices on the items just restocked might drop accordingly. But no lower than the production cost.

Want cheap items ? Buy straight from the factories.

Maybe have limitations on buying straight from factories...
    Traders only ?

Hmm. Probably enough daydreaming for now.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

I do not "hunt" persay, I do "assignments" for Omni to locate/retrieve items of high interest from clan R&D facilities. I consider it a perk to get to terminate all the clan members at these facilities in the course of these assignments. I also do side jobs for individuals if the price is right

By the way, considering 95% of the bronto's on the planet are owned by the BB company already(ever notice all those fences?), I doubt they would look kindly on you showing up to sell them a side their of meat. More likely they would arrest you on the spot for poaching. The Mongo Meat folks on the other hand seem like they might like some help in getting some rare and different meats at their stands, I do not see what is stopping you from doing that already though. Go kill something and sell it to them, I suggest the MM guy in Omni Trade as he also deals in purchasing "hot" items. I sell some of the extra items I pick up on my side jobs to him occassionally, not sure who he is fronting for though as he does not seem to sell, he only buys these items.

Re: "Hunting" is silly

Originally posted by Pontosaurus
    Am I the only person who thinks hunting is silly? The idea of just running around killing random animals/mutants makes me feel like more of a poacher then a citizen attempting to make a difference in a virtual world. I wouldnt mind so much of they were aggro, or threatened something worth saving but it seems that they keep to themselves and dont bother anyone and I feel like a murderer attacking them. I guess Im alot more interested in having an enjoyable rich experience at each level then powerleveling by going on murderous raids of seemingly peaceful mutant camps. Anyone else feel the same? feel different?
    I agree - when I first killed a human MOB, I thought to myself "that was wrong" and didn't feel right about killing some random person walking around, while minding their own business.
    I must warn you that I fight very dirty, I spit and fart and soil myself

Me

"Sings we a dances of Wolves
    Who smells fear and slays the coward

Sings we a dances of Mans
    Who smells Gold and slays his brother"

humm

/me steps on the bones of mobs from the past while.. being excited by the killing future mobs that wait unexpecting.

Talking

Originally posted by Laeni
    As to the other animals, well there are some I won't hunt such as the Silvertails and the Moontails because they are so beautiful.

Thats funny.....

they're so beautiful is the same reason i go out of my way to kill them.

/shrug
    {Beyond the Drunken Master, is the Plastered Master} Lilasiandude 216 MA
    Proud Member of Storm, and the Betty Ford Clinic

-Sllammer 216 enf. - Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Click!

BE STORM