Thread: How to use this?

Question How to use this?

I found this weird machine that is suposed to reduce the chance of my nano prog getting interrupted by dmg or movement. I have the necessary skills and my deck4 slot is empty (Its location should be deck4). When I try to click n' drag it on the deck4 slot I get the message "This item can not be worn" or something like that.

When I right click on it, it says "This item requires a computer deck" now what the hell is that?

Re: How to use this?

Originally posted by Archu
    I found this weird machine that is suposed to reduce the chance of my nano prog getting interrupted by dmg or movement. I have the necessary skills and my deck4 slot is empty (Its location should be deck4). When I try to click n' drag it on the deck4 slot I get the message "This item can not be worn" or something like that.

When I right click on it, it says "This item requires a computer deck" now what the hell is that?
    Ok, I'm going to guess you are pretty new to this game, and have a character less than level 15. Now, the first thing I'm going to tell you is: bank that item - you won't get to use it for a pretty long time.

A computer deck is a piece of equipment which straps around your character. They come in sizes 1-6 slots, with 6 slots being the best. Computer Decks rely on the complit skill in order to be used.

Perhaps you've noticed that there are a bunch of nano programs at your disposal, some of them which stay resident (buffs). Buffs take up different amounts of space, dependent upon the type and quality of the buff. Eventually you will find that you cannot use all of your buffs at the same time, and you will have to make choices on what not to run.

Now, you then start to look for a Computer Deck, or a better computer deck and put it on. You then buy an NCU upgrade and pop it into one of the available slots (as dependent upon the belt type and quality). In addition, several items can be installed as well, speed enhancers, range extenders, protection devices and what have you.

Once again, these devices require a specified complit skill level. Added NCU usually fit into any slot, while certain enhancements fit into specific locations.

Your particular item goes into slot 4, which means you probably won't get to use it until you are around 50th level and have the necessary complit skill for a 4IX belt - unless you are a trader, an agent or a fixer, and then you might be able to squeeze into the belt a bit sooner (though the fixer would get it last out of those three).

Now, I wouldn't sell it if you think it is something you would want, because they are *relatively* infrequently found, but by the time you can use it, you will probably find a store that has the same item in it, at a higher Quality which you can afford. At that level, a QL-15 item in the deck would be better facilitated with the use of another NCU module upgrade.

Tip 1: Don't waste your money on a Computer Deck 1000, or 2NCU unless they are free. You can find these things and use them temporarily, but they will be upgraded soon enough. A Computer Deck 2000 is worth it, as the 3 requires a good deal of skill.

Tip 2: Check the exact stats of your NCU upgrade, they are on a sliding scale, so the higher QL the more NCU you get, however some of the names can be misleading as to how large they really are.
    Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.

Actually my char is L15 or 16 now. I have a belt wich adds some slots I think and a NCU upgrade wich gives me 3 more ncu slots so I can use all my availible combat buffs.

So I just have to find a better belt. Kinda guessed that but I had to be sure.
    Where can I find other upgrades then? I have a ncu upgrade but range, dmg and stuff like that I have never seen.

Oh and thank you for your answer. I see you spent some time writing all that.
    Last edited by Archu; Nov 28th, 2001 at 16:36:20.