Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online: Special Edition On Sale In May

So you can tell your friends about it, I guess. So that you will be prepared that just maybe, there will be more people coming around in not too long. So that you know what's going on, basically.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Originally posted by WGMelchior
    Uhm, you will get a free month on another account. And things like this is not made to make people buy the same game twice, you know.
    "This special edition will enhance the experience for our existing fans and give new players the incentive to try it out."

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...specialed.html

gg -nt-

Okay, I can't really follow that line of thought, so I won't. Someone from the Funcom marketing department would have to explain why people already playing the game would want to pay for a new CD-key.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

i personally think that it is completely out there to make a special edition of a 3year old game containing nothing but stuff that was included on the original plus some stuff that is free for download... trying to sell a game with the words "Containing Newest Patch" doesn't sound very lucrative...
    besides, how much of this stuff do we really need??? a book with some stuff that we can just find on webpages and some map that is absolutely useless... the music is already in mp3 format on your harddrive only it's cut up so it can be contecst sensitive, but so what? just play the game and turn of the sound, then start somekind of recording device, either digital or analog if you're putting yuor sound through an amplifier...
    generally this is a ****ed up idea... most ppl have the patience to download the patches anyway so why pay more for it?
    some idea to pull more money out of the public on the fancy words special edition when what you buy is actually no different from the orginal product... they should call it "extra-stuff edition" since that's all you get...extra stuff for a game that can't be played out of the box... ok, they may hold the next patch untill the special edition is in stores and has been for a while so it will be playable, but that thought leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth...

First of all, for you folks who seem to think that AO:SE is going to be some $50 on the shelf new item, go take another bong hit. It's 19.99. Because of that, many stores (like say, Best Buy) will probably be selling it for $14.99. So, IF we could use the key as a voucher on currently existing accounts, we end up paying an extra two bucks for the extra goodies and an updated CD. Sound reasonable? Sure, I'd do that.

Originally posted by CastorDooM
    the music is already in mp3 format on your harddrive only it's cut up so it can be contecst sensitive, but so what? just play the game and turn of the sound, then start somekind of recording device, either digital or analog if you're putting yuor sound through an amplifier...
    Hehehe I like this one... "Just hook up the recording device, and make an MP3 in the background while running an extremely CPU intensive game! No biggie!"

Think before you post folks. If they let us use the keys as vouchers, it's not a bad deal.

if you run the music through an amp with a recorder attached it doesn't take cpu power... besides if you can run ao satisfyingly you have a puter that can do anything (i'm on a 2.1ghz p4 with 512rd800ram and radeon8500 (non LE)) and i don't get more than 10-20fps when standing around a few ppl, 1280x1024x32 max evrything...

but still i think it's silly. and i do know that it's only a 20buck item. but i don't pay for stuff i already have... besides i'm danish, as in european, so i may not even be able to buy it at all...
    still my game (as evryone else playing) is up to date so i don't really see why i should pay for a disc with patches... besides you can just downlod the large patches that do it all in one go... rathe than patching 20times...

Isnt it just like Funcom to start a thread and then forget about it.

Most likely the reason they dont want to say that existing players wont get the free month is that it will stop us from buying the "Special Edition" which isnt all that special. In my experience something like this added something to the game.

I dont need an updated CD as I've downloaded all the patches and have them in a backup folder.

I would buy the special edition if I got the free month but not without. The "Extras" just arnt worth $20 to me at all.

I would pay for the updated CD, just because if I have to reinstall windows and AO again, I'm going to go mad. The first few patches, for some stupid reason, take -forever- to install.... I'm talking upwards of 30 mintues. Yes, I have them saved on my HD... I'm not talking about the download.

you do know that the patches exists as one or two major patches that do all of the at once?
    and why on earth do you have to reinstall ao if you reinstall windows??? most normal ppl have a harddrive partioning so their OS is on a small drive that is fast to format and contains nothing else...
    and if you don't i strongly suggest that you get one... altho that would mean buying a new harddrive...

My hard drive is all partitioned, I know all about that. However, most games require they be reinstalled anyway... mostly because of DLL files and stupid registry garbage.

AO runs without reinstalling usually, but I've had a couple forced reinstalls...

And god forbid a patch gets screwed up, and forces you to reinstall AO anyway..

Thumbs down sheesh... still $20 I'm not spending...

Bah. I'm still not gonna buy it. A friend of mine tho doesn't have a disc (he downloaded the game) and I'm trying to sucker him into buying it for the disc. True, you can request a new CD for like $3.00 or something, but this way he and another friend can share the extras. lol, it's gonna be all of... 15 minutes before the stuff is offered for free on the 'net anyways...

-Darkthought

would be nice if Cosmik or someone popped in and explained exactly what "updated version of Anarchy Online" means. the definition of that statement will determine if i buy it or not. if it's a disc with 14.0 or whatever on it pffft yea right, i'm not payin you 20$ for a new box that my girlfriend would end up throwing out and a map that one of her kids would end up using as a napkin.
    new zones/content, different story

are you european?
    well im afraid you cant have it.

are you american?
    well, i doubt you want it.

what is the point?
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

Angry gee another rerelease

is it not high time to wipe the boards so the new players do not see how you treat your customerS?

oh wait, you already announced it!

*smack head*

Lightbulb Some answers

Raystlin, the box will contain a CD with the 14.0 version.

Jeret, you will not be able to use the CD key to add an extra month on an existing accout. Sorry.

Scorus, if you can't log in, contact Support or log into our IRC to see whether anybody can help you there. Posting that kind of posts here never helps much.

Kopo, the CDs and boxes are manufactured in the US I believe. To ship a batch of them to Europe (which costs a bit of money) we would of course like to have a substantial amount of buyers. But then again, I'm not a marketing guy, so I'm just speculating.

About the German dimension, note that it is still located in the US, but the people running it are in Germany. If this works out nicely I wouldn't be surprised if we try something like it in other language territories.

Kneebreakcer, what page are you checking, and what destination are you choosing to have it shipped to? I'll have one of the web guys look into it if it's our page.

Maxtor 1-7, I doubt we will give out the extras free of charge. The reasoning behind the Special edition is not mine to explain, but I am sure a lot of people will want it, even though others won't.

Blackwing, no more wiping of the board as long as I am in charge here, at least. If anybody try, I'll spank 'em. If they succeed, I'll flog them. (Should I even care to mention again that we never did it on purpose? Nah, no use. )

Anyhow, I hope that was an ok update, even though some was bad news.

thanks for the info Cz
    but unfortunately, i'm not going to dump $20 for a purty new box, sorry. get 'em to throw a new zone or two on that disc and i'd be happy to.

Re: Some answers

Originally posted by Cz
    Kneebreakcer, what page are you checking, and what destination are you choosing to have it shipped to? I'll have one of the web guys look into it if it's our page.
    I was getting there using the link from the main AO page (http://www.anarchy-online.com) and choosing the Buy Now link right at the top of the page. I was not even choosing a shipping destination when getting the over inflated shipping amounts as I hadn't even gotten that far.

However, going back to it today it would seem to be calculating a more reasonable rate (i.e. $9.95 shipping for UPS and $19.95 shipping for FedEx). In any event, seeing as it gets existing users nothing but a new box and a new map I really can't see many existing players to buy it. What's the justification for that again? Perhaps I missed something.

Originally posted by Cz
    Jeret, you will not be able to use the CD key to add an extra month on an existing accout. Sorry.
    Cz [/B]
    Sorry, Cz, but this is really stupid. I don't think it would be that hard... at the very least, give the people who already own the game the extras for free...

Originally posted by Cz
    Maxtor 1-7, I doubt we will give out the extras free of charge. The reasoning behind the Special edition is not mine to explain, but I am sure a lot of people will want it, even though others won't.
    [Cz [/B]
    If you don't they will probably be on some other site, and don't forget that you are slowly giving out the book for free.

btw, people don't care about copyright laws online, I have a huge "CD" collection of songs which I downloaded. Look it up on www.google.com after a few weeks, there should be at least a dozen sites by then.

Unhappy So let me get this straight...

First you going to make a SE charging $20, but not allow existing users to get the free month...

AND THEN in 6 months you are going to release an EXPANSION in DECEMBER that WE MUST BUY to get new content!?!?!??!?! WHAT KIND OF PLOY IS THIS?!?!?!?!? Does Funcom really need the money that bad???

[EDIT]

Looking back this post seems harsh, but I already have 2 accounts, one of which has seen "all the pain" from day one...
    Last edited by Bendarek; Apr 29th, 2002 at 20:55:08.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast