Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notum Infused Suit Could Allow Nanomages to Leave Planet, for a price

Notum Infused Suit Could Allow Nanomages to Leave Planet, for a price

Notum Infused Suit Could Allow Nanomages to Leave Planet
    Teeku

An Omni Sub-department unveils research into technology that may free Nanomages from Rubi-ka at recent Science Symposium.

A recent Science Symposium was a huge success, with topics ranging from mining operations to the protective qualities of toothpicks against giant killer reets. One of the more intriguing subjects was the development of an environmental suit allowing Nanomages to leave the planet, which is also a technology that may not be readily available to Clans or Neutrals for sometime.

Towards the end of the Symposium Director Kithrak announced the Omni-Tek guild, Red Tape and Magi-Tek’s scientists have been working on an environmental suit for the last half year that could potentially allow Nanomages the ability to leave the planet. The suit hopes to create a completely enclosed environment that would recreate the atmospheric conditions on Rubi-Ka.

The notum, that all Nanomages are dependent upon for survival, would be supplied from a pressurized canister on the back of the suit. In previous tests, the suit has replicated the Rubi-Kan atmosphere so well that it has actually created a more ideal environment. Market analysists projects that the suit will be not only very expensive, but also popular among the Nanomage population.

When asked about the availability of the suit to Clan and Neutral Nanomages Kithrak replied, “This will be a patented Omni-Tek Corp. technology. That will be for the Omni-Marketing to decide.” Obviously not what the few Clan and Neutral Nanomages attending wanted to hear. Later I asked Clan General Arikel her opinions about the Clans gaining access to the suit, but she seemed more interested in the rate at which the alchohol was leaving her cup.

“Do you think there is a need for the Clans to start work on an environmental suit of their own?” I asked. Arikel answered by saying, “Tough to say, but I don’t think so. I mean, when we talk about ‘the Clans’, we’re talking about a diverse assortment of individual organizations, many of whom aren’t necessarily interested in the well being of the Nanomage race. Given the limitations of the Clan scientific community and the fact that we don’t know just yet whether the suit is going to be available to Clan or Neutrals just yet, I think our resources are best spent in other areas, and waiting to see what happens.”

While no direct answer was given from Director Kithrak on the availability of the suit to Clans and Neutrals, there is a very strong option that we won’t have access if it is released. However, that didn’t seem to dampen General Ariekel’s spirits. “After all, how many Omni-Tek technologies have seriously remained in Omni-Tek hands? Odds are they’ll license it out if nothing else. Or someone will just steal it and duplicated it themselves. It worked with the notum mining equipment."

Very intriguing....and a complete blinder played by Omni-Tek I might add. Hmm, Omni-Med creates the nanomages with a gene making them dependant on notum to survive, so making them unique and totally adapted for Rubi-ka. Then they now sell them the suit, and no doubt the consumables in the form of the tanks to keep the nanomage alive as well. Its brilliant, an utter stroke of genius. Manufacturing your own line of customers. An utter, amazing stroke of utter corporate manipulation. Sneaky yes, but still have to admire it from the standpoint of utter scheming. Shame it effects me as I'm nanomage *mutter*.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Originally posted by Nyadach
    Omni-Med creates the nanomages with a gene making them dependant on notum to survive, so making them unique and totally adapted for Rubi-ka. Then they now sell them the suit, and no doubt the consumables in the form of the tanks to keep the nanomage alive as well.
    omni again shows their true colours! Not only do they use/abuse our people, they turn on there own.

And why are the mouths of omni elite silent on this issue? Why is Nevver silent, most likely sipping champagne with Philip Ross celebrating the projected profits.

A new stroke of genius for the Clans! Now they invent the truth before it happens! I think I'll try it:

The Clans have changed their greedy ways and no longer seek to take over all notum mining for themselves. They now fight for freedom against the oppressive Omni-Tek!

Hee hee! That is fun!
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 6th, 2003 at 01:29:36.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

I was working on this same problem a couple of years ago.

I tested my theories on my only willing subject.. myself. I launched myself into a low planetary orbit in a small cryo-tank of my own design.

I had mixed results. I discovered that I could "survive" at a relative distance from Rubi-ka. Unfortunately, I still suffered from notum withdrawal and the pain was beyond measure. Another side affect was that even though I was in a cryo-tank and my metabolism was slowed to a crawl, I was still conscious.

After about 8 months my orbit detiriorated enough that I was able to finally return to the planet. I crash landed in the desert north of Newland City.

I've chosen not to follow in that line of research again as some of the memories still haunt me. My new expirements involve improving the inviromental restistance of the common leet. Sadly many of my subjects have not done as well as hoped. If anyone has extra leets they'd like to get rid of.. feel free to contact me.

Dr. Franken

I have spoken with Kithrak about these suits, hoping beyond hope that maybe he would be one of the voices of good within the Maga-corperation Omni-Tek. These suits as designed will use up and dispurse large quantities of notum, in effect creating a new notum export market if Nanomages want to leave Rubi-Ka. This of course will only make the long term survival of Nanomages a more acute problem due to higher notum depletion rates. This is no solution. This is simply a short term profit making and marketing tool to create new markets for notum and it is an attack on the Nanomage people in the guise of a service to us.

I suggested that any such environmental suit be developed with a notum recycling device built in. These should be a closed system and only require energy added from standard power sources to reprocess used Notum compounds back into pure notum again. In this way a Nanomage could leave Rubi-Ka for a short time, a few months perhaps, and return home to Rubi-Ka not having wasted any of our precious notum. Of course his reply was that this would make the suits "too expencive" or "too bulky". I contend that unless these are created properly they are no more than a greater harm to our people than any kind of help. We can not allow more notum to leave Rubi-Ka or we will all perish in the end.
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

Originally posted by Aazamon
    ... a Nanomage could leave Rubi-Ka for a short time, a few months perhaps, and return home to Rubi-Ka not having wasted any of our precious notum.
    Well, if Kithrak manages to invent a perfectly renewable energy source, I guess we all can go home. At least Omni-Tek is trying to do something and is putting forth it's energy towards finding a solution rather than using it to blow things up.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

To Aazamon,

The reason that your suggestion to include a notum recycling system with the suit at this time is due to the fact that both technologies are currently in its infancy.

There are still numerous technical issues and reliability concerns that need to be tested extensively before it can be ready for use as a life support system for the nanomage outside of Rubi-Ka's atmosphere. The recycling technology you mentioned yourself that it too is also still new and rather large at this time.

I am currently assigned to a millitary unit that has been launching expeditions deep into the Shadowlands. Intial scans of the environment suggests that notum is more plentiful there and should help ease your fear of a limited notum supply on Rubi-Ka which has not been proven by Omni or ICC scientists at this time.

Regards,
    Administrator Houston
    Omni-Admin
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Am curious here...when was the last time OT bothered when releasing anything as to if it worked or not? someone say Weather Control System or maybe Blubug or heck, most the other screw ball inventions released on us that, no offense to yourself a) don't work totally, b) work with hugely damaging effects to anything else around them, or c) end up killing, whiping out whole species, cause mass destruction and generally just really screw things up.

Your quest to make this suit work is admirable, yet sadly I see alot of pain in its conception. Not only for all those poor nanomages we don't hear about who have had to suffer while you get your release system for it to work and we're given slow painful deaths in this items creation. A single death of anyone, be they Solitus, Nanomage, Opiflex or even a 'trox is not acceptable in the goal of profit. Lives of the people of Rubi-ka matter, and can not be lost aimlessly even if your goal is honourable.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

You always want what you cant have. I understand you nanomages want some freedom, but trust me, it's not any better off world than it is right here on Rubi-Ka. I personally want to be able to buy myself a Yalm, but I can't afford one, or the piloting lessons. I drive a little scrap heap along the ground... BUT, if I can ever afford one do you think i'll be happier? No. Then I'll want to improve it, or I'll want some new armor. Point is, old earth saying went something like this, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". Again, sorry if you nanomages feel like your more unfortunate than the rest of us.
    "Chariots strong, horses fast, troops valiant, weapons sharp--so that when they hear the drums beat the attack they are happy, and when they hear the gongs sound the retirement they are enraged.He who is like this is strong."
    -Chang Yu ,author of a commentary of Sun Tzu's 'The Thirteen Chapters'

So why not remove the fence and it'll all be the same?
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Shalex open's his self made Comm (patent pending) news receiver. "Well, this is very interesting to say the least.." He thinks to himself. "Being able to leave the planet and explore outside of rubi-ka would help to test some of my research. I'll have to see if they are accepting test subjects." With that he closed his Comm unit, sliding it back into his overcoat pocket.
    "This also gives me some interesting ideas for new research" He mumbles to himself as he sits down in front of his lab.

LOL
    A "Dune"esque still suit for nanomages.
    He who controls the notum, controls the universe.

As an omni nanomage, I take it as it comes to me.
    The higher ranks of omni and clan are equially crooked in their strategies.
    Even if this suit is in limbo atm, I can tell ya now I'll get my paisty white paws on it eventually.

And if it's as good as it sounds, ya might be seeing a plethora of clan nanomage doctors farming faction like mad people to go omni just long enough to pop it on and run back to their cubbyholes. hehe

That is unless it's a massive back armor with a huge omni-tek logo on it.
    They might get a few odd looks, and a visit from some neutral wizards to condem them for that.
    I think I heard these all powerful beings as ARKs. O.o

-Xenoneo

Originally posted by Nevver
    Well, if Kithrak manages to invent a perfectly renewable energy source, I guess we all can go home. At least Omni-Tek is trying to do something and is putting forth it's energy towards finding a solution rather than using it to blow things up.
    We are home! Some of us by choice, some of us by design! The Nanomages need Notum, from the very planet itself, not some new omni product to survive. And to those omni Nanomages I say to you when omni leaves Rubi Ka what will you do!?! Do you believe for one nanosecond you will be going with them?

You are so short sighted, Ennonica; some nanomages would like to travel and explore other worlds. Have a heart and take a nanomage on vacation with you and your family! Think of the possibilities!
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 9th, 2003 at 20:58:37.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Being a nanomage must be a frightening thing. Their very existence depends upon notum. And what do we know about notum? Quite a lot, I suppose, but not as much as we should.

All this talk of the suits made me think; what if the notum should run out, one day? Most of us could just hop on a ship and fly off to another planer, but what of the nanomagi? Without notum, they're dead! We're exporting the very stuff of life for nanomagi right off this planet. It's like we're exporting their air!

OT designed and built these people from the genome up. OT is responsible for the nanomagi, and it owes them more than life in a tank. The suits are a good first step, but more will need to be done to protect the nanomagi as the notum supply is reduced.
    Zhik

War is not its own end, except in some catastrophic slide into absolute damnation. It's peace that's wanted. Some better peace than the one you started with.
    Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Vor Game", 1990

54.76190476190476% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

ICC wont let omni turn this into a cash crop

as with the insurance technology OT will be preasured to release it to their enemies, and will iniveitably sucumb to political pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bezerkress
    as with the insurance technology OT will be preasured to release it to their enemies, and will iniveitably sucumb to political pressure.
    this time, i think OMNI rather choose to keep it to ourselves, because less clanner leaving the planet, the more potential slaves to work in the mines after a OMNI victory in a war.
    6E 61 6E 6F-6D 61 67 65-20 66 69 78-65 72 2C 20 77 61 72 72-69 6F 72 20-6F 66 20 63-79 62 65 72 73 70 61 63-65
    The immortal one is Love.
    The immortal one is Hate.
    The immortal one is me.
    Embrace me and i shall embrace thou
    _..-=>My guide for the fixer grid <=-.._
    gorkamorka!

Quote Originally Posted by bezerkress
    ((omg nerf necromancy...))
    [All Towers] The omni organization loves Toxor .. awww.

[Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: !blacklist Mostadio this ****tard wouldnt make my carb :@
    [Clockwork Inc.] Omgbot: Thank you Toxor. Reputation / Blacklist info about Mostadio has been stored in the Clockwork Inc.-archives
    [Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: thats cool
    [Clockwork Inc.] Mostadio: ROOOOOOOOOFL
    [Org. Msg.] Mostadio kicked Toxor from your organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Techboy
    ((omg nerf necromancy...))
    ((Hey, it's been two years...has this item even dropped yet?))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast