Thread: Non-Combat Professions

Non-Combat Professions

Combat gets boring after a while, even hunting multiple reds in a group at a respawn site.

So, I'm ready for trade skills, socializing, and building up a nice apartment.

Hm... well, trade skills are limited to building and selling weapons, nano programs, or, (joy), rings, and all require that you spend hours hunting through 6 stores to find parts.

Socializing is OK, but the pubs are often empty, and players are mostly letting me down in the whole "intelligence" category.

Apartment? Well, I gave it a shot... figure that it could be a good meeting place with my friends. Well, not so much, with items disappearing, pictures not staying on walls, etc.

The only reason I see to continue playing with my high level character is to hunt with friends, and brag about her... so I went and started like 8 new ones, that are MUCH more fun and challenging.

I'm partly depressed that my high level doctor will never get a nifty PvP title, or any sort of award or special recognition. I suppose it is the same with an engineer, or a salesman.

I am alone in thinking that profession-specific rewards for something BESIDES fighting are in order? Like adding the title "Dr." in front of the player name after a certain level/amount of healing? Or crafter names on weapons? Or letting HIGH level players be able to pay and open a store that they are responsible for stocking (including basic auto-restocking options for certain items/item types)?

What about pure social nanos? Like a Dr. nano that lets "cosmetic surgery" happen, so people can change the head they decided they didn't like after level 42?

What about missinos for peopel to build something by a certain level?

Fashion skill items? Get basic item types (cloak, trench coat, etc) and be able to dye, add designed, jewels/accessories like shiny items, plastic surface, leather, etc) and let the player design things?

Or the ultimate - free form weapon creation.

We need something else to keep interest in what is basically a good game...

"What about pure social nanos? Like a Dr. nano that lets "cosmetic surgery" happen, so people can change the head they decided they didn't like after level 42?"

YES

Oh and the rest of the ideas here are excellent. They add to in game feel, and give something interesting to do!

Thumbs up!

Just found this thread. Maybe you can consolidate this one :

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...&threadid=2020

The more ideas, the better.

As for a Dr. Nano there is Face Graft for Agents, but it's self only at the time. It would be just cool that they could use it on other players. The consecutive loss of HP is preventing the horde of ppl that played for 1 hr to ask for a Face Graft.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Interesting. But I think a lot of it would be abused; for instance, people twink CONSTANTLY, and giving a low level character a complete armor set is something I see A LOT, especially with low level (cheating) Docs who want the Treat/FA bonus from the Med suit. Also, guns would just be rotated randomly.

The base concept is good, though. We need XP for things like not doing missions to the same places. Perhaps keep a log of total distance run, and just keep it stored with the character, with a small award or something at certain amounts.

I'd love to recommend thigns like XP awards for healing in battle and the like, but frankly, it would be abused IMMEDIATELY. The people who exploit systems are the ones who RUIN the experience for everyone else, by restricting what can and can't be rewarded.

We REALLY need titles for things other than killing, though.

I'd like to see an atmosphere more interactive and friendly than walking around killing mobs ad nauseum.

A side note, regarding tonight's events: Why isn't there a Public Announcement system in main cities? Or things like purchasable Newspapers (and the ability to create and distribute them like pamphlets)?

Hm, what else on teh huge wish list... in game AO-mail would be nice. If you've ever played X-Wing Alliance, you have an e-mail account where you get some funny spam and announcements; I think that some interesting mailing lists etc would add some ****e for real role players. It wouldn't be too hard to access a pop-3 server and distribute the letters; you could even access it from outside teh game, say, on vacation.

In line with other titles - it is impossible to verify someone's proficiency as a traveller, healer, or engineer and thus bestow a title upon them... but FunCom should look into creating a group of dedicated player volunteers watched over by ARKs, who would act as an observer and reporter to a central council, nominating and voting people into titles. I would be the FIRST to volunteer for this duty. It would add SO much to role playing to be interviewed, watched, and accepted as doing a good job - something completely removed from money, from killing, from twinking (since any observer would notice a low level doc with maxed items, overloaded, and millions of credits). It would also give you a reason to have a nice apartment; when your interview comes, you want the person interviewing you to notice your nice, humble, expensive, or whatever apartment and how it reflects you. Also gives you a chance to use your spiffy, expensive clothes and look nice.

Come to think of it, Dr. would be a sufficient title to prefix the names of both Docs and Smiths with. Adventurers are a little more tricky... but most of the other titles can fall into officer ranks. Trustable, certified salesmen like Tappert could gain something like "Trader" as a title. Hell, you cold even add just "Mr."

Incidentally, the nice thing about allowing someone to set up shop is that they can talk to Smiths/engineers and use them as suppliers, which is much better than them trying to sell randomly. It gives a real possibility to play as just a smith.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Talking Cool

Yes ! Real in-game jobs =) Bump!