Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Release - SCHUEMANN & ASSOCIATES TO RELOCATE

Exclamation Press Release - SCHUEMANN & ASSOCIATES TO RELOCATE

For Immediate Release -- November 20, 29477

Rome, Atlantean

SCHUEMANN & ASSOCIATES TO RELOCATE MAIN OFFICES

Racheal Schuemann, senior partner at Schuemann & Associates legal firm, announced today the intention of her firm to relocate from the city of Rome to new offices in Jobe. The move is still pending final approval from Omni-Administration, but is scheduled to begin early next week.

"There was a wonderful coalescing of factors," Ms. Schuemann explained in a prepared statement. "First, we have been concerned for some time about access issues. As most people know, Schuemann and Associates has a diverse client base, including some Clan and Neutral citizens of Rubi-Ka who have had great difficulty getting to us. Given our interest in continuing our pro-bono work for economically disadvantaged citizens who have run afoul of Omni-Tek's sometimes-byzantine legal system, it seemed logical for us to consider offices that would be more widely accesible.

"Secondly," Ms. Schuemann continued, "JAME and the Jobe City Administration have bent over backwards to accomodate us, and we were able to secure a very favorable lease in Jobe. As much as I love Rome, the price/space ratio in Jobe was too good to pass up, and with our lease expiring in Rome, we were going to be faced with a decision soon anyway. Everything just pointed to Jobe. ^_^"

Schuemann & Associates will continue to maintain a skeleton staff at their Rome offices through the end of their lease agreement in mid-December. After that, all staff will be transferred to the Jobe office.

Schuemann and Associates was established on Rubi-Ka in 29475 and has been at the legal forefront of issues ranging from human and employee rights to reaching a sustainable peace settlement with the Clans. They are currently based in Rome Blue.
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

Betji looked over her worn but comfy office/apartment in Borealis.

"If she really wanted to be of service to everyone, she'd have moved to Borealis. After all, there are a few citizens who still don't have Jobe access.

"But I knew it was going to be Jobe. She's fixated on this whole 'deemer thing."

Smiling inwardly at the foibles of the person she loved almost more than life itself, Betji went about carefully monitoring omni, clan and neutral message traffic.

"Hmmm.... total silence. That's very ominous. I would have thought someone in Omni Admin would have been setting up roadblocks by now. When one of the most prominent lawfirms on planet leaves Omni-1, it's like seeing someone defect. Besides, there's little love lost between JAME and Omni these days."

Pushing aside a frustratingly loose strand of hair, Betji sent a brief note to Petal:

[> "Nothing yet. I'll check the mood on the street and let you know." <]

waiting by the phone...

Blackpetal kneeled in front of a small altar, hands clasped and head bowed in prayer. Her meditation was interrupted when her comm started beeping at her. Petal opened her eyes and took a deep breath before she picked up the comm.

"Racheal Schuemann speaking."

"Whoa, sis! Why so formal?"

Blackpetal sighed and let herself flop down on the floor at the sound of her brother's voice.

"Oh. Hi, Elliot. I'm just waiting for a call..."

"Oh. Gentleman caller? Does Betji know?" her brother teased from the other end of the comm.

"Omni-Admin. I filed paperwork for this move weeks ago, and it's been caught up in all sorts of red tape. First they lost one of the forms. Then some little detail or other had been ommitted from ONE of the triplicate copies they insisted be individually filled out..."

"Hey, Omni-Tek has never been an engine of efficiency when they aren't paving something, sis. I wouldn't worry about it."

Petal closed her eyes and smiled, "You're right. I know I shouldn't be worried. It's just that this firm is a big chunk of my life... Being in limbo with it is a little like...being in limbo."

"Wow. That's deep, sis," Zetaskite said sarcastically. "You're a regular Socrates."

"Minus the poisoning, I hope..."

"Oh...yeah..."

Petal clicked off her comm and sighed, then sat up and looked out her window.

[Betji turned on the private cyphering software and entered her half of the private key for today. Blackpetal had the other half, and only someone with both halves could read the letter she composed...]

Dear Petal,

I can't reach you by Comm, so I wanted to update you as quickly as I could about the latest developments here on Rubi-Ka.

I don't think Omni-Tek has accidentally lost your paperwork for moving S&A to Jobe. I think the delay is deliberate; unfortunately, I've had no luck is determining who's behind it yet.

On a related note, there is some low-level gossip going around, apparently designed to arouse the su****ions of various OT organizations. I'm not sure just what su****ions they are harboring, but I expect you'll probably have a hot time when you get back from this latest trip. Update me on your travel plans, and I'll try to insure that your greeting at the shuttle dock is not hostile, but friendly.

love,
    Betji

As the rain drummed its hypnotic rhythm on the windows looking from the apartment onto the bleak, fog enveloped streets of Omni-1, the soothing sound of a Tchaikovsky string quartet filtered through the stone-lined halls, accompanied by a single lava lamp which flickered with the pulse of its notum power source. The bureaucrat smiled, closing his eyes and waving one hand as if directing the forte, while grasping a glass of blood-red wine in the other. Though the ancient human societies were long since obliterated by the actions of the Omega, it was truly comforting that efforts to salvage their artistic works had proved successful.

As the ballad began to fade to adagio, General Nathan Ammicus Age breathed deeply and set his snifter of wine atop the glass table beside his computer. Such little pleasures were so few and far between these days; a soft piece of music in a dimly lit cove while his mind danced in an almost trance-like state from scenes of torture to bloodstained probes to…

A soft beep echoed from the unit as the screen finally ceased its constant display of line after line of ineligible code.

Data processing complete.

Good…

1 – Tag Target | 2 – Issue Security Warning | 3 – Assign File | 4 – Take no Action

Ammicus slowly outstretched his finger, dangling it over the numeric keypad, until finally smiling and allowing his finger to rest on the number four.

Warnings will not be issued to Omni-Pol for Target’s arrest. Do you wish to continue?

If the computer had a neck, Ammicus mused, he would have certainly tightened his hands around it at that point in time. Angrily, he pressed the number four again.

4 – Take no Action

Target’s records will remain black. No action will be taken for Target’s arrest. Security threat level remains at Red-2.

As Tchaikovsky instructed an allegro in the piece behind, so too did Ammicus take wind and began to type another name, which flashed on his screen. The computer was sending direction to all Omni-Tek corporate recording files to summarily delete any occurrence of the name from its databanks, essentially washing itself – and the corporation – clean of any involvement with the traitor. They had their intelligence reports, received pictures of shrines devoted to those filthy Redeemed Xan pervading her office…

…Intelligence reports which had led to this night, and its subtle pleasures. As he rose from his desk and proceeded to leave his apartment, he smiled at the poetry of the entire ordeal. The traitor sought redemption of a sort which Omni-Tek could not provide, and for that Ammicus had made a deal with the Devil; rather, with sixty one Devils. All that remained to seal this ballad of smoke and blood was a date with a Shadow, and the traitor would learn that redemption does not necessarily mean salvation…
    Last edited by Ammicus; Dec 1st, 2003 at 01:47:15.

Petal looked out the shuttle's window nervously as she decended back down to Rubi-Ka's surface. She always felt vulnerable...mortal...when she left her adopted home, and she was glad to be returning. She had resolved that this would be her last trip. She had tied up some lingering loose ends with offworld clients, and could, at last, devote herself fully to the work nearest to her heart.

Still, Betji's note, cryptic though it was, had Petal nervous. She made it a policy not to listen to gossip, but if the information floating around had Betji concerned, it was probably worth paying attention to it. Her suggestion that some force was deliberately holding up Schuemann & Associate's move was of some concern, too. After all, one of the few things about Omni-Tek that gave Petal any comfort these days was the icy efficiency of it's bureaucracy. After all, nothing guarantees equality of treatment, even BAD treatment, like a good bureaucracy.

If someone is manipulating the bureaucracy to this extent, Petal thought, the cancer has spread further and faster than I ever imagined...

Zane read the news report... granted dated it was still some valuable information. He figured it was about time that he get himself some type of legal representation, and a friend... or in this case the lover is Betji regardless of side, might be his best bet overall. He pulled out his com.

"Yes, a message to Schuemann and Associates, thank you... Hi, I would like to talk to Ms. Rachel Schuemann... my name... Zane Conmy, I'm a good friend of Betji... no, no, this isn't in reference to her, I'm trying to acquire some legal representation myself, if at all possible, can you pass the message along? Thank you"

In the back of his mind Zane knew that she may not get the message, but sighed and turned towards the wooded area outside of Old Athens. He thought to himself, "I really hope I don't do anything stupid that I would need her services sooner than I hope."
    Nexeus Fatale
    Former GSP DJ
    website

Zane "Tharkael" Conmy

- "The secret to "the list" is that once you are on it, you automatically become Timelapse's and Regulas' chew toy."

Blackpetal sat in serene contemplation, feeling the cool wind rush across her face as she sat looking down on Rubi-Ka from the balcony of her apartment. Time seemed to stand still for her as she slowly pushed aside her daily cares and focused her spirit on--

"Excuse me, Master."

Icarus's cold, synthetic voice snapped Petal from her reverie. In a small corner of her brain, the /pet terminate command beckoned invitingly, but Petal fought the temptation. She let a small sigh escape her lips, then turned to her robotic servant.

"WHAT...is it you want, Icarus?" Petal asked, fighting down the exasperation in her voice.

"You have several messages that have been accumulating for you over the past few days. Also, you have been fasting for three days now, and data indicates that it is unsafe for you to continue longer without medical supervision, and unwise even then, Master."

"Three days?" Petal asked, then sighed again. "Alright. What are the messages?"

"There are several messages from Betji, expressing concern that she has not heard from you... An automated response to your last Omni-Admin inquiry, indicating that there is a backlog of data to be processed and that your transfer request will be dealt with in the order it was received, and a message from Mr. Zane Conmy, indicating his interest in retaining the services of Schuemann & Associates. He did not indicate an immediate need."

"I see," Petal nodded. She rose from the sitting cushion on which she had been resting and walked inside. She felt light-headed...and hungry. "Please take a letter, Icarus."

"Recording."

"To Mr. Conmy: Thank you for your interest in Schuemann & Associates. I regret that, at this time, we are not taking new clients, pending our move to Jobe. We do not feel we have adequate resources to handle additional cases while also managing our existing clients and affecting the necessary transfers of material, data, and personelle. Please accept my apologies that we cannot serve you at this time.

"On a personal note, I am, of course, indebted to you to your help in securing certain contacts for me, and, of course, your friendship with Betji is no small thing. If there is an urgent legal matter which requires immediate attention, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, and I will do everything in my power to assist you in any way I can.

"Sincerely yours, Racheal Schuemann"

Icarus paused momentarily, then said, "Message prepared for delivery. Specify delivery method?"

"I want you to deliver it personally, Icarus. The contents of that note are to be destroyed in the event you are attacked by anything above threat class yellow, do you understand?"

"Yes, Master. I will deliver the message immediately."

Petal nodded and sighed. Now if only getting something to eat were so easy.
    Last edited by Blackpetal; Dec 19th, 2003 at 09:47:05.

Betji sat on the rooftop of Baboons, watching the sunrise, pondering the strange ways of Rubi-Ka. She was worried about an old friend and her happiness. It didn't matter to her if she lived in Rome or West Athens, or even if she were married to someone on the Most Wanted list.

Then she remembered... darn! Forgot to call Petal!

"Hello, Schuemann & Associates." The comm chirped when she speed-detailed the number at the top of her list.

"This is Betji, Blackpetal please."

"I'm sorry, Ms. Schuemann is unavailable at the moment, would you like..."

Betji savagely punched the voicemail code, knowing it all too well.

"Petal, this is Betji. I talked with Ammicus of IO, and slipped in a question about S&A near the end. He said InternOps had no objection to S&A moving to Jobe, but they certainly would object if you moved to clan territory! Something about confidential files.

"There was no earthly reason for him to be dishonest, especially since I'd been talking about other omni matters, and he'd been helpful where he could, and clear about where he could not help.

"However, I am hearing rumors that another omni organization may be behind the slowdow. I'm doing what I can to get their objections into the open, so you can deal with them, or perhaps dispelled entirely without any adverse publicity.

"See you soon, I hope...."

After a pause, Betji closed the comm, and continued to sit on the rooftop, dreaming about a woman with a razor-sharp mind, strong convictions, and gift for speaking directly to her heart.

"Master... there is a message from Betji still awaiting your attention. It has been more than..."

Blackpetal shot Icarus a look, and the robot quickly stopped speaking. It had taken days to program Icarus to recognize the look and respond correctly, but Blackpetal was so amused every time it worked that she couldn't really fault the investment of time.

"Alright, Icarus. Play the message."

"Petal, this is Betji. I talked with Ammicus of IO, and slipped in a question about S&A near the end. He said InternOps had no objection to S&A moving to Jobe, but they certainly would object if you moved to clan territory! Something about confidential files.

"There was no earthly reason for him to be dishonest, especially since I'd been talking about other omni matters, and he'd been helpful where he could, and clear about where he could not help.

"However, I am hearing rumors that another omni organization may be behind the slowdow. I'm doing what I can to get their objections into the open, so you can deal with them, or perhaps dispelled entirely without any adverse publicity.

"See you soon, I hope...."

Petal listened intently as her lover's voice was reproduced with perfect clarity by her mechanical servant. It was a little unnerving, and no less so for the content of the message.

"Oh, Betji..." Petal shook her head and sighed. She turned away from Icarus and stared out the window before speaking aloud to no one.

"I love you dearly, but sometimes, you can be so naive... Was not the ancient Enemy of humanity renowned as a great deceiver? Why should we take on face value the words of ANYONE who serves those demons?"

Petal clenched a fist, and her eyes narrowed dangerously as dark thoughts ran through her mind.

"Still, in the end...maybe she's right. If Ammicus doesn't perceive a threat in this move, I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it...

"Icky... we're going out. I want to speak to a couple of people in Jobe... Maybe we can get ball rolling along a bit, hmm?"

"Yes, Master."
    Last edited by Blackpetal; Dec 19th, 2003 at 09:45:41.

Honored Maidens enter the fray

Originally posted by Marisha
    Press Release – Honored Maidens blocks transfer of Schumann & Associates

The Honored Maidens took steps today to block the transfer of files and documents from the Schumann and Associates law offices in Rome to their new facility in Jobe.

“For over a year now, The Honored Maidens have been outsourcing a number of minor legal disputes to allow our internal legal department to focus its attention on higher priority issues. In particular, numerous minor disputes over reimbursement for elective surgery performed by Omni-Med on THM departmental personnel were given to Schumann and Associates to mediate. The issues were handled in a satisfactory manner.

“However, we are moving to block the transfer of files and documents due to the nature of some of these procedures. We are concerned that data regarding these elective surgery procedures will now be stored in a data haven outside of Omni-Tek security protocols. The vast majority of the procedures were routine upgrades of existing implants, installation of organic components, and minor genetic modifications. However, numerous THM departmental personnel have volunteered for radical invasive surgery of an experimental and proprietary nature.

“To that end, we have filed documents with Omni-Admin and Omni-InterOps, as well as the JAME, to block the transfer of all documents, hardware, and personnel until such time that they can be reviewed for any potential security breaches. The security of the Omni-Tek Corporation, and the privacy of our employees is our primary concern.”

Who we are: The Honored Maidens are an organization of female and atrox Omni loyalists. We were formed on 10 July 29475 by Philip Ross to focus the strengths of an all-female group with atrox acting as guards. We continue to support and enforce the governing will of Philip Ross for the betterment of Rubi-Ka and all of Omni-Tek. Our role in the struggle between Omni-Tek and the clans on Rubi-Ka is primarily a supportive/defensive one in which we work to protect every Omni citizen's rights and way of life. More information is available about us at Our Gridsite.

Blackpetal looked over the legal documents submitted by the Honored Maidens and frowned.

"This is a farce!" she yelled into her comm. "The mere suggestion that this has anything to do with employee privacy... The Maidens know as well as anyone that I have done more to champion employee rights..."

"Calm down, sis," Elliot responded. "You'll make a bad situation worse if you get medieval on some clerk down in Omni-Admin..."

Petal sighed and lowered her voice as she slumped down on her bed. She slapped the batch of papers down beside her.

"It's just so...humiliating... I wasn't expecting anyone to jump for joy when they heard S&A was moving, but this impugns my honor and integrity... It can't go unanswered!" Petal let the last words slip through clenched teeth.

"I know, sis... just be careful... You're stepping on a lot of toes these days... Make sure they're at least the RIGHT toes, you know?"

Petal smiled slightly.

"Oh, I'll step on a lot more toes before I'm done... but for now, I'm going to start with those PAWNS in the Honored Maidens. I'll call you back, Elliot."

"Sis? Are you--"

Petal closed her comm and took several deep breaths, centering herself, before she opened it again.

"Schuemann & Associates. Baxter speaking."

"It's me. Have you had someone reviewing the documents?"

"Yes, Ms. Schuemann. My initial analysis is that it seems like a routine bureaucratic issue that should have been resolved with a comm call...or, at worst, a day's negotiation. I find it hard to believe that this complaint is the basis for the delays we've been experiencing, and I'm even more surprised that they opted to make a public statement... Of course I would never go so far as to suggest that they might be trying to drag our reputation through the mud..."

"No suggestion needed," Petal said, nodding slowly to herself. "We need to prepare a statement. Since this has been moved into a public forum, we need to defend ourselves..."

"Of course. I'll get staff on it right away, Ms. Schuemann."

Petal clicked off her comm again. She forced down a feeling...panic...that had been slowly building in her chest since she first read the Honored Maidens' challenge. She felt the quicksand-like pull of an extended legal struggle dragging her down...threatening to disrupt her plans...and all the while, a monolithic evil laughing at her.

((Went through my posts and edited things a bit... Ugh. I just get sloppier and sloppier!!! ;_; ))
    Last edited by Blackpetal; Dec 19th, 2003 at 09:50:00.

Post Press Release - Schuemann & Associates respond to law suit

For Immediate Release -- December 19, 29477

Rome, Atlantean

SCHUEMANN & ASSOCIATES RESPOND TO LAW SUIT

The law firm of Schuemann & Associates announced today its intention to file a countersuit against the Honored Maidens for defamation and financial losses arising from the suit brought by the Maidens earlier this week to block Schuemann & Associates from relocating to Jobe.

"The lawsuit filed by the Maidens is the very definition of frivolous and malicious," said senior partner Racheal Schuemann. "It saddens me deeply to see the ammicable business relationship we have enjoyed with the Maidens damaged by this lawsuit; apparently our record of outstanding and consciencious service with the contracts we have handled for them was not enough to prevent a petty and ill-conceived attack."

The countersuit, to be filed with Omni-Admin early Saturday, alleges financial losses arising from damage to the name and good standing of Schuemann & Associates, as well as increased financial exposure due to the law firm's inability to maintain it's established deadlines for moving and lease signing. It seeks remedy from the courts in the form of a monetary settlement and an immediate lifting of the restraining order which currently prevents the company from beginning its move.

"Clearly," Ms. Schuemann said, "we hope for a speedy and just resolution to this matter. The clock is ticking, and with the holiday season coming and our current lease in Rome expiring at the end of the year, we certainly hope that this matter will be brought swiftly before the court so that it may be resolved. We have no doubt that when the evidence is heard, the finding will be unmistakeably in favor of our firm's right to relocate and do business as it sees fit, within the confines of Omni-Tek corporate law."
    Last edited by Blackpetal; Dec 20th, 2003 at 21:02:19.

The legal department android showed no fear and continued to march forward. Marisha reached over to the severed android head on her desk, turning it slightly so that the THM legal emblem emblazoned on its side was prominently displayed to the advancing robot. The robot advanced at a speed that suggested confidence and stopped a respectful distance from Marisha’s desk.

All my other enemies would be terrified by the head of a comrade on my desk and flee from my office, she thought to herself. Truly, there is no defense against lawyers.

“Executive, Schuemann and Associates have filed a countersuit, claiming defamation and financial losses due to inability to maintain deadlines. The legal department has already downloaded the press release and summary of the suit to your desk. If you wish, I can provide you with a detailed analysis…”

“No need. Ensure that we are covered here. Prepare the briefs to emphasize the Sabi project as millspec, and the danger of proprietary millspec data being stored in Jobe, even if it is only a payment dispute issue. The Jobians may not be able to reverse engineer the project from the surgery records, but I’d imagine they’d have to be brain dead to not realize what were attempting to do here.” Marisha tapped her stylus against her glass desk as she read the press release. Buddhallah protect us if they ever do see those records. We had to rebuild that Atrox’s skull.

“In addition, a Clanner has sought the assistance of Schuemann and Associates to open the apartment of his deceased brother. As of this time, there has been no response to this request.”

“Monitor the affair. In any event, I want to see how Jobian law functions in letter and spirit, and in actual practice.”

“I do have an extensive database available regarding Jobian law, executive.” A soft whine came from the androids chest as a seldom-used hard drive was brought on-line. “In this matter, Jobian law is clear. Precedent exists in the following cases…”

“That’s quite enough, bot. If there is no new information, you’re dismissed. Inform me the moment there is a change in the situation.” With a small bow, the legal department android turned and left the office.

Marisha returned to the press release holographicaly floating above her desk. Her eye was drawn once again to the mention of the holiday season. “Desk, upgrade Schuemann and Associates to a preferred partner fruit and cheese basket, and upgrade Miss Schuemann to close friend gift level on my personal list.”

With a small smile, Marisha adjusted the severed robot head on her desk, hoping that next time the ward would work.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

Racheal Schuemann, aka Blackpetal, and Baxter, her right-hand-man at Schuemann & Associates, sat at a long conference table in the current offices of that prestigious law firm. Outside their window, they could look down on the elegant gardens and pool of Rome's central square, but at the moment, both had their focus elsewhere. Baxter's eyes were closed, as if in deep thought, or perhaps consternation, while Blackpetal's baleful stare was focused on an object in the middle of the table.

A fruit and cheese basket.

At last, Petal broke the silence.

"Is it poisonous?"

Baxter opened his eye slowly and let his gaze wander to the basket.

"No. It's all perfectly good food. We had the scanners over it twice. Neither nanite nor chemical out of place."

Petal sighed and continued to stare at the basket, her eyes narrowing. If her look alone could have done such a thing, the basket would surely have been immolated by her scrutiny.

Long moments of silence followed, and Baxter returned to his close-eyed ruminations. Finally, Petal spoke again. She was smiling.

"I wonder..." she said, letting a lengthy pause follow before she continued. "The Maidens are pawns. I doubt they know the real reason they're blocking us. It's time to find out how much the pawns know about the strategy of the board, I think."

Baxter opened his eyes again and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm not sure I follow..."

"What if..." Petal began, again letting the words hang in the air for a moment. "What if Marisha really thinks this is about nothing more than some secret documents? What if she has no IDEA what is really at stake here?"

Baxter's brow furrowed, and he asked, "What IS really at stake here?"

Petal ignored him and continued, "Get a press release ready..."

Baxter picked up the PDA that had been lying on the table an arm's length from him.

"Alright. I'm ready..."

THWAP! Triple twenty.

The young opifex secretary glanced up momentarily from her PDA and turned her head slightly to look at the dart that sunk into the dart board, just centimeters from her head. She turned back around to face the man that through the dart and made her stand in front of the dartboard in the first place. Cedrick "Trybes" Clyburn; director of the Devils Advocates and a chairman of the Baboons nightclub in which they stood in one of it's back offices.

"Excellent shot Sir."

Trybes frowned slightly, aiming the second of the three darts. "You know I don't like suck ups on my staff Juliet, continue reading off the headlines."

Juliet straighten up, thrusting her shoulders up as she read of the news reports. "The Zigball season might be threatened due to the finding of illicit stims being used by the players." she cleared her throat. "I've already took the liberty of covering up any paper trail that would lead investigators back to us."

"Good good." Trybes nodded tossing the next dart, sinking it the fifteen slot next to Juliet's ear.

"The omni origination The Honored Maidens have filed a suit against Schuemann and Associates to block the transfers of files from her omni offices in Rome to her new clan run office space in Jobe city..."

Trybes scratched the tip of the dart under his eye while in thought. "Seems people are getting restless over this ordeal. Prepare a message to send to Rachael.

Dear Rachael,

It's come to my understanding that many are not welcome to the thought of you leaving omni territory with the information that you yourself possess. As your friend I feel for your safety, in the drastic thought that someone would act against you in any form I offer you the services of the Devils Advocates' engineers in the upgrade of your robotic assistant. I'll get Tynch started on the prep work for this immediatly. It’s a dangerous world to live in these days, Rachael, and people are easily swayed to violence to make sure their livelyhood is protected. Safe passages.

Your friend
    Cedrick Clyburn.

Did that sound sincere enough Juliet?”

The opifex girl nodded, going back and rechecking her spelling. "Yes Sir, all of it. Shall I send it out now?"

He rotated the dart between his fingers quickly. "Yes, and get me a comm line open to Kait and Tynch, I've got a job for them." He tossed the dart with force at the girl and the board; Juliet tilled her head to the side quickly as the dart sunk into it's target.

"Bulls eye Sir".

((Story merge))

She gazed at the corpse laying in front of her. She was temporarily transfixed to the foreign amber glow of the lights strangling it.

"Miss, excuse me... Miss?"

She pondered what meaning a holiday like this could possibly have. A dead tree, colored lights, and attached colored glyphs. "A time of giving." she had heard someone say, although she still couldn't decipher exactly what that meant. Giving what? she wondered to herself.

"I think we're going to need security up here."

Maybe people gave the decorated corpses of fawna to each other as gifts? That seemed to make sense. For some reason these creatures did seem to enjoy being around these dead trees. She made a mental note to get a gift, in case someone expected one from her.

Such a bizarre culture she thought to herself.

She noticed the figure approaching on her left side. Anyone would have. It seemed to tower above everything else in the office. "What seems to be the the problem here?" it asked. Sundai waited patiently while inspecting the miniature Christmas tree. "This girl has been standing here for five minutes not saying anything or answering me at all." the woman said. "Miss is everything ok?" the giant said while looking in her direction.

Oh! He's talking to me. She was talking about me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was just thinking about something..." she answered while the man looked su****iously at her. They must think I'm insane.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I am here to see David Flowers." she stammered. "And can I ask what this is regarding?" The woman asked in response. "No. You may not." Sundai replied, oblivious to the social graces most people show in such an office. "I'm sorry, I show nothing scheduled for him at this... " Sundai interupted the woman, "He is expecting me."

The woman pressed some buttons and spoke quietly into her headphone. Sundai couldn't make out exactly what she was saying. Several moments later, a dishevelled young man entered the room. His hair seemed to be reaching for the heavens.

"Right this way, miss Div." he said turning his back on her and retreating the way he came in. She stepped around the giant and followed the tall haired man down a long corridor with dark windows. They came to a crossroad and promptly made two right turns into a dimly lit large room.

"Welcome to Omni-Comm" he said. Sundai smiled at him, somehow managing to pull her eyes away from the growth on his head. She continued walking to the large apparatus in the center of the room. A glowing light flickered against the wall behind it.

"We haven't been able to capture everything" he said while tapping quickly on a keyboard, "but we have managed to intercept some of the communications." A list with dates appeared on the wall, presumably each one representing a different communication. "Some of this traffic was easy to get and some was completely scrambled" he continued.

As he selected each item, the message would appear in big black letters on the wall. The latest message from a person named Cedrick "Trybes" Clyburn, held some interest to her.

She has a robot for protection...

The rest appeared to be mostly technical and mundane. She quickly scanned through the remainder of the captured messages. She found it interesting that her new shelter was mentioned, she giggled quietly to herself and told the technician to permanently delete the records.

She heard a loud click, followed by a cascade of white noise. "As you know, several listening devices were planted in certain areas." he boasted, "We have captured several meetings; as well as, Comm-link transmissions."

She listened intently to the Comm-Link messages as they played. Mostly inconsequential, but she noted any mention of names in each conversation. The names might prove useful later.

The recordings captured by the listening devices didn't reveal much either, except a new name to add to the list. "That's just her co-worker" the tech offered. "Yes. Thank you. I got that." Sundai replied.

The sound clicked off. "Is that it?" she asked. "Yes Ma'am" he replied. Sundai faced the technician and began lecturing, "I don't think I need to tell you this, but I will. This is highly confidential information. Information which if it gets out could result in the loss of life. Including yours..." she paused for effect, "Please destroy all records you have immediately and contact me if you get anything else." "Yes Ma'am. I'm always willing to help InternOp's." he said as they both proceeded to exit the room.

As they reached the doorway of the waiting room, he watched her reach over to a large potted plant that adorned the entrance. In a quick and violent manner she pulled one of its long branches off. "I'm not InternOp's... anymore" she said as she walked out the door carrying the branch with her.

Such a bizarre culture he thought to himself.
    Last edited by Sundai; Dec 25th, 2003 at 10:15:27.

Friends and Enemies

Blackpetal paced. It was an annoying habit, and she knew it, but she couldn't help it now. She was nervous and frustrated, and it was a bad combination. She sighed and looked over her messages again: a note from Baxter indicating that the press release was ready to be disseminated on Sunday night for the Monday morning gridfeed, some collected notes from Elliot, a holiday note from Betji that still made Petal blush when she read it...and, lastly, a note from Cedrick Clyburn...

What are you up to, Trybes? she pondered. No answer came, and Petal continued to pace back and forth along the hallway between what would be her office and the reception area in the empty and unfurnished Schuemann & Associates offices in Jobe.

Petal had yet to respond to the note. It sounded sincere, which just made her more irritated.

There is no worse insult, she thought, than to have one's intelligence so crudely challenged.

"It's ridiculous!" she finally said aloud. Though she addressed the proclamation to no one in particular, Icarus looked over at her questioningly. Petal walked over to where her robotic servant stood, and ran her fingers soothingly along the polished dome of his head.

"The notion that I would let anyone fiddle with you... Devil's Advocate LEAST of all!"

Icarus continued to look at her, clearly unsure what the correct response to this statement should be.

"Still..." Petal said with a small sigh. "I suppose that professional courtesy demands I send him some sort of reply..."

Blackpetal took out a pen and a piece of paper.

Nothing like the personal touch... she thought with a thin smile.

((Italics in the letter below are thought but not written, and are included for entertainment only. ^_^ ))

Dear Cedrick, Dear Demonic Puppet,

Thank you so much for your concern in this matter. What kind of idiot do you take me for? Although I must decline your generous offer at this time, knowing that I have your support during this difficult period is extremely gratifying to me. The notion that I would be naive enough to let you tamper with my one means of decent protection is so patently absurd that I almost collapsed with laughter when I first read your note. If I find my position changed, you can be certain that I will contact you! Hell will freeze over before you hear from me again, God willing.

Thankfully, Eternal Damnation Awaits You,

Racheal

Petal looked over the letter and nodded approvingly. She looked over at Icarus and started to hand him the note for delivery, but then thought better of it and decided to have a courier deliver it instead.
    Last edited by Blackpetal; Jan 1st, 2004 at 21:30:11.

Exclamation PRESS RELEASE: SCHUEMANN & ASSOCIATES PREPARES FOR TRIAL

For Immediate Release -- December 29, 29477

Rome, Atlantean

SCHUEMANN & ASSOCIATES PREPARES FOR TRIAL

The law firm of Schuemann & Associates announced today that they are preparing to submit their first brief to the court in Jobe outlining their defense against the suit brought by the Honored Maidens, as well as their counter-claim.

"As we have said before, we believe this complaint brought by the Maidens to be baseless," said senior partner Racheal Schuemann in a statement. "Still, we are prepared to defend our rights vigorously. The first piece of evidence we will present are the legal papers discussed in the Maiden's initial filing. We believe that once those papers are subject to judicial scrutiny, there will be no doubt as to this case's utter lack of validity."

Schuemann & Associates expects to file their brief by the end of the week.

Schuemann and Associates was established on Rubi-Ka in 29475 and has been at the legal forefront of issues ranging from human and employee rights to reaching a sustainable peace settlement with the Clans. They are currently based in Rome Blue.

The spirit held her down and gazed into her. The glowing red eyes seemed to mock her and burn into...

*POP*

*BOOM*

*POP-POP-POP*

The sounds startled her out of her dream. She quickly jumped out of bed as her eyes efficiently focused in the darkness that enveloped her. She struggled to put on her armor while desperately clinging to her daggers.

"If someone wanted to kill you - they would have already." they spoke to her.

She calmed and paused, then slowly placed her daggers on her bed while she dressed; the spirits spoke the truth. She would already be dead if it was Shere's wish.

She had been unprepared for an attack and had fallen asleep early. It had been a painful day and she had sought escape from it. Her empty bed was a testament. He was gone. Just like his note said he would be.

She frowned to herself before thinking that his departure was probably for the best; for both of them but she had no one to protect her now. She was fairly independant but it was still a painful and admittedly somewhat scary thought. He had helped teach her about Rubi-Kans and their ways.

Sundai awakened enough to realize that the sounds were coming from outside. An eruption of gunfire surrounded her apartment. It must be a warzone out there she thought.

Her instinct subdued the sadness. Aslon had not been surprised by a quickly opened door... but perhaps others would be. It had to be far safer outside then caged in her shelter. She pressed the unlock button and watched the door slide open.

She quickly leaped into the plaza, her eyes quickly seeking targets for the blades that sought the respite of warm flesh. No one attacked her. As she scanned their faces, she saw only smiles, laughter, and amusement greeting her.

"Happy new year!" someone yelled. Another voice shouted behind her "29478!!!". She was going to question someone... anyone... about the importance of the date; but a smiling stranger quickly grabbed her and pressed his lips against hers. It wasn't an attack. She wasn't completely familiar with Rubi-Kan culture but it was fairly obvious this was an action fueled and fortified by alcohol.

The flavor of Setting Sun Sake lingered on her lips.

She smiled at the stranger while casually licking her lips and looking up to a balcony that hung in the skyline. A figure leaned over the railing, smiling down upon the assembled group. The girl's long raven hair played in the soft harbor winds. For a brief moment their eyes seemed to meet, before the figure turned her head to look further into the courtyard.

"Now is the perfect time!" Sundai thought to herself. She quickly dashed to the portal that leads to Jobe platform. A few moments later and she was standing in Rome.

"Operative 349467 dash B, I need a fixer to..." the spirits spoke to her while she continued her request into the Comm-Link contraption. "Kill her! Return to her and take her." they continued. Sundai knew if she could focus her attention away long enough, the spirits would quit haunting her....

for the time being.

"Operative 349467 dash B, Pol placated." a voice replied from her Comm-Link.

She quickly ran through the village named Rome. It had taken her maybe a minute and a half to reach the outside of Racheal "Blackpetal" Schuemann's Rubi-Ka apartment but a small figure already loomed at the entrance. It looked at her briefly and then quickly ran away. Sundai heard two delayed clicks and then several different voices pierced the silence through her Comm-Link:

"Operative 349467 dash B, pen successful." the voice said.
    "Operative 349467 dash B, Proceed with caution." a new voice warned.

"Why wouldn't I?" she thought to herself. She gauged her surroundings before quickly moving to the front door. She stopped in the doorway and listened. No discernable noises - no beeps, no audible alarms, no tell-tale robot sounds. Robots were a cunning technology. Smart and vicious, she had seen them in action on several missions. The last thing she wanted was to be surprised by one.

She quietly and softly sprung across the floor. Her eyes scanned the area quickly. A bookshelf adorned a close wall, a folded red martial artist suit on a counter top, a pyramid of rifles in the bedroom corner. All very interesting... but something caught the corner of her eye. It seemed to glow and beckon to her, several pieces of paper resting on a table at the far end of the apartment.

She moved quickly to it and squinted her eyes to focus clearly through the darkness. Her eyes quickly scanned through the thorough tactical briefing outlining how, when and where to deploy Unredeemed forces should an invasion of "hostile" areas in Elysium be successful.

"Kill her!" The spirits immediately pleaded and begged to her, "I will!" Sundai retorted. "Do not let her live!" they cried to her in torment, "I WON'T!" she screamed.

She folded the papers and placed them in her backpack.

She had to leave.

She knew her spirits would take her shortly and she needed to be alone when they did... for everyone's sake.
    Last edited by Sundai; Jan 1st, 2004 at 12:00:25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast