Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is using the /terminate command to stop yourself from leveling "exploting"?

Is using the /terminate command to stop yourself from leveling "exploting"?

If I were to run missions to get cash...and then /terminate to stop myself from leveling, so that I DO NOT exceed the QL of equipment I am trying to buy before I actually have the cash for it.

Would this be considered an "exploit"?

Talking hehehehe

yep ....

your characters are gettin deleted this very moment ...

ehehe nope, take it easy (oups ehehe), i think we almost need to redefine the meanin of "exploit" since the release of ao eheheeh

cause we'r all little exploiters if we don't ehehehe ,)
    tradeskillz ?

No, not an;y more than letting a mob kill you...

If you're worried about it then just let a mob kill you.

I don't think it is an exploit. However, many players (That don't do it) won't accept it as a valid strategy.

Thus, they often say it is an "exploit". Like Zuleica say: Suicide on mob instead.

This have to do with the way AO dealt with "death". They choose the current way on design so I don't think it is an exploit.
    Suel, ADV, RK2
    Omni, my body is yours... But not my freedom.

Please forgive my frenchy english.

> If I were to run missions to get cash...and then /terminate to stop myself from leveling, so that I DO NOT exceed the QL of equipment I am trying to buy before I actually have the cash for it. Would this be considered an "exploit"?

Well THIS one wins the stupid post of the day. What if I run into a level 190 Rhinoman and get killed on my way back? Is that an exploit? Is deleting all of my equipment so that I don't kill things an exploit? Is jumping off a cliff into the ocean because I'm thirsty an exploit?

Snarfilupigus
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

I've found that unless you want tokens, it's just as effective to take a mission with a good item and good cash (camp the booths for awhile) and blitz the return item mission.

I've gotten nearly 0 XP from blitzing, and lots of cash. Although, like I said, token farming is a different story. My current char is my second, and first non-neutral, so it's hard to see things from the otken side (yet) :-) .

Originally posted by Snarf
    > If I were to run missions to get cash...and then /terminate to stop myself from leveling, so that I DO NOT exceed the QL of equipment I am trying to buy before I actually have the cash for it. Would this be considered an "exploit"?

Well THIS one wins the stupid post of the day. What if I run into a level 190 Rhinoman and get killed on my way back? Is that an exploit? Is deleting all of my equipment so that I don't kill things an exploit? Is jumping off a cliff into the ocean because I'm thirsty an exploit?

Snarfilupigus
    Thanks for the bright words Snarf

funny thing, i thought that on the pre-moderated boards, one of the admins actually said that not only /terminate (unless you have to) was an exploit, but so is getting yourself killed on purpose..

one of the dumbest posts I had ever read..

by their definition, you're gaining an unfair advantage using the game mechanics though..

maybe it was all a bad dream, but I would swear I read that thread.. don't know if it was cosmik or someone else who posted it..

Talking LOL

I can see it now..

Build notes v13.3

/terminate removed because it was too powerfull. if you are stuck somewhere petition for an ARK.
    Also, we've made it impossible to start a fight you can't win, as killing yourself is considered exploiting.

Now go have some fun..

And be ready to summon that ARK, baby!
    (sorry, I just had to )

I think they ment that using /term as a method of quick travel could be an exploit. But being tha lazy man that I am if real life was like AO I'd travel around with /term too.
    Fausto Biggfoo Clyburn

Are you some kind of robot? And if so what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for Good? or for Awesome?

Originally posted by jws
    funny thing, i thought that on the pre-moderated boards, one of the admins actually said that not only /terminate (unless you have to) was an exploit, but so is getting yourself killed on purpose..

one of the dumbest posts I had ever read..

by their definition, you're gaining an unfair advantage using the game mechanics though..

maybe it was all a bad dream, but I would swear I read that thread.. don't know if it was cosmik or someone else who posted it..
    I can kinda picture it....

A GM summons you, and gives you a warning/pusnishment/banning (whatever they do to exploiters, I don't know), I see the conversatin go something like this:

GM: you're an exploiter
    Player: What me? What did I do?
    GM: You died on purpose.
    Player: No, really. I was really, really sure I could beat that monster! It was only yellow.
    GM: I was watching you, and I notoiced you didn't use your first aid kits as fast as you should. Besides, everyone knows you cannot solo yellows after lvl 60. You're lvl 63!
    Player: How can I know that without trying?
    GM: I also noticed you didn't use all you're special attacks, like burst. why didn't you use burst? Do you want t die? Wanting to die is an exploit, thus you are an exploiter!
    Player: Dang! You got me....
    (sound of GM punishing the player)

honestly, I don't see it coming. Removing /term won't do any good. (but what was the initial intention of /term anyway? In case you were stuck or something?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this. The whole point of a game is the use the game mechanics to your fullest advantage, twisting and bending as necessary (but not breaking). By this definition when I play my friend at chess and keep him in check untill I can gain a tactical advantage over the board I'm "Exploiting" the check feature to gain an advantage.

Ridiculous. Utter nonsense. The word Exploit on these forums is as overused as the word Love is in RL, it should be completely banned from the AO forums.

Question

I love the way FC solved the death problem in this game and I think that /terminate needs to be in the game... but

What about a counter on it? The more times you have used it ( or died) the longer will the res be.
    And not to make it to hard at higher levels, modify the count by the player level.

?

/terminate isn't a bug.

You do get a penalty for using it.

There is a reason for the 5 min shock.

You have to pay to scan.

Those who are telling you that this is an exploit are just stupid.

Sure, some people use it in ways that benefits them, but then it's just a design flaw.

Death isn't fatal. :
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

What about a counter on it? The more times you have used it ( or died) the longer will the res be.
    And not to make it to hard at higher levels, modify the count by the player level.
    WHY???????????

Excectly say I get stuck in the walls of missions alot should I be punnished for getting myself out?
    Fausto Biggfoo Clyburn

Are you some kind of robot? And if so what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for Good? or for Awesome?

Originally posted by biggfoo
    Excectly say I get stuck in the walls of missions alot should I be punnished for getting myself out?

GM: You got Stuck in that wall on purpose.
    Player: I didn't I just happen to frequently get stuck in walls very often in missions I have already completed.
    GM: So how do you explain jumping at that wall for 5 minutes to get yourself stuck?
    Player: Dang you got me I just wanted to exploit /terminate
    (sound of GM punishing the player)

I read somewhere that too much /terminate affects your PvP title. Don't know whether it is true, but I could maybe see the logic behind it as otherwise you could /terminate in PvP fights you were about to lose and the other guy wouldn't get anything from it.

Could be a load of rubbish though!

Guadoc

heeh if your /terminat your self to keep form leveling what is a gm really going to do to punish you..... give you free levels?
    Level 132 Nano-Techniction <---- Retired till NT fix
    Level 72. Engineer <---- why is my pet running the wrong way?
    Level 69. Agent <---- Retired sence Concealment Nerf.
    Level 58. Adventure <---- TONS of lost ip.
    Level 41. Meta.<--- Mp's are too uber.
    Level 30. Enforcer <---- press "Q" and watch tv.
    Level 29. Doc <---- Can't..... Find.... Group.....

Quote of the week "When people complain equally about all of the classes, then the game is balanced."

your not an exploiter.. you are what I call a token whore
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast