Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A request Regarding the 14.2 OE patch

I loved that post Bionitrous...
    Ananke - Carrah - Loretta

ZWhen the going got tough, the tough ran away

Agreed with almost everything, except - if a person wants to scream she's an illegitimate child of somebody or the other - awesome!:) Let her. She's obviously using her imagination and having fun :).

The author can always come up with the DNA evidence that she is in fact NOT the love child. Or even better, the author can be flexible and work that into the story if needed.

If you don't agree with a guy claiming to be the Major of Tir, make a story with a high-level agent assainating him and get it published :P. Get **involved**! :)

And at any rate, I was talking about things that are at "lower level" then that, stories that don't affect the "mainline". With 10,000+++ players, we can hardly all expect to be involved in the main story even if FC employees drop dead trying to do their best.

I had a similar logic as I think you do when I started in the guild too, but then I realized this is all just a *game*. FunCom's story is only more *real* then your own if you make it so.

Use your imagination and make your own story :). Who cares about Radiman and Ross - with Bob the Interstellar agent bugging you for the microfilm and Tim the Meta-physicist trying to preach his own brand of Religion, Harry the Adventurer asking you for help on a grand quest and Dick the Enforcer threatening you unless you pay up to Jimmy the Trader - who has TIME to wonder about Radiman and Ross! :)

Think of FunCom providing the *environment* for us to exercise our *own* creativity.
    OE patch or no OE patch - all it affects is the inherently *boring* and un-interesting mechanics of the game. The potential for RP-ing is exactly the same :).

>>That's what the 'story' devolves into as you let the inmates run the asylum.

but we are paying inmates, and we darn well should run the asylum! ;)
    The story should be judged on its own merits, not solely by some magical "stamp of approval" from FunCom, which, as you so demonstratively prove, might not be the best to be in charge ANYway ;).

I strongly encourage more players to become more involved - our collective fun can only grow :).

Nostra, I'm sorry you gave up. Yes you are making the best of the situation. FunCom has reneged on their promise to tell you a story while you are playing the game and you are unfortunately willing to accept it and admirably making the best of the situation. I salute you and at the same time pity you.

Anarchy Online is in fact NOT one of the better vehicles for for attempting to roleplay. It appears that roleplaying was NEVER even considered except as an afterthought. Hell, you can't even sit in this game. You can't write a note or book. You can't have a real house. Even PvP'ing for the sake of RP'ing is gimped. With the exception of the SciFi(ish) environment I can't see what would bring a group of RP'ers to this game to set up shop. They just don't have the tools. And might I add that FunCom keeps on with their 'balancing' crap all the while deaf to the cries of RP'ers who could give a crap about 'balance' while they can't get the things that matter to them addressed (pets, newspapers, sitting, drinking, heads n tails, social clothing tab, etc, etc, etc.).

I must point out that I note your agreement that player-based storylines must be below the official radar to enjoy any legitemacy. This is the first time I've heard an RP'er on this board say so without trying to declare an official holiday named after themselves or make up their own version of history. You are probably having a blast with your own personal adventures. I did the same in UO for years to entertain my guys. They never knew it was me as I ran two accounts at the same time.

But, that's not what I signed on for in AO. I signed on to live Ragnar Tornquist's 4 year story. I signed on to be swept up by the politcal currents that his brilliant mind interweaved. I signed up to log in on Monday and be shocked by something I never expected to happen. I did not sign on for what we have now.

Originally posted by Bionitrous

Anarchy Online is in fact NOT one of the better vehicles for for attempting to roleplay. It appears that roleplaying was NEVER even considered except as an afterthought. Hell, you can't even sit in this game. You can't write a note or book. You can't have a real house. Even PvP'ing for the sake of RP'ing is gimped.
    I must point out that I note your agreement that player-based storylines must be below the official radar to enjoy any legitemacy. This is the first time I've heard an RP'er on this board say so without trying to declare an official holiday named after themselves or make up their own version of history. You are probably having a blast with your own personal adventures. I did the same in UO for years to entertain my guys. They never knew it was me as I ran two accounts at the same time.
    But, that's not what I signed on for in AO. I signed on to live Ragnar Tornquist's 4 year story. I signed on to be swept up by the politcal currents that his brilliant mind interweaved. I signed up to log in on Monday and be shocked by something I never expected to happen. I did not sign on for what we have now.
    I think there is a happy medium here. Imagine what would happen if certain players were granted limited GM rights in order to run a submitted and approved story for their guild. FC get's to approve the storyline with the following caveats:
    1. A GM may accompany the storyguide and cancel the story at atny time if the storyteller breaks "rules".
    2. Breaking "rules" in order to cheat or exploit will result in immediate banning.
    3. At the end of the story a writeup MUST be submitted to Funcom for insertion into their official news.
    4. A GM can step in and hijack a storyline for his own purposes.

I don't expect to be spoon-fed by FunCom. Of course, if Joe Smoe welshes on a bet, I can't hire an enforcer to teach him a lesson. That silly gas. With just 1 or 2 employees FC could breathe such LIFE into the place. Heck, let me play a GM with the following abilities and I'll make you remember a day of excitement:

A. Ability to break into org chat of an assigned (or random) organization.
    B. The ability to change my appearance and stats to be
    1. A small frightened child
    2. A tearful mother
    3. A team-level Seasoned OMNI Doctor (evil scar opifex)
    4. A team-level Fatestealer
    5. A greedy, short, Clan engineer.
    C. 100k credits to purchase reward items..wait, screw that. There are plenty of ways for players to get cash/items. I can get the players to do it for 10k. Hell, if I play #2 correctly, I will have them PAY the greedy engineer to teleport where they need to go.
    D. 3 clan bravery tokens. Which I may distribute if I think they are warranted. Would only be +1 on the board.
    E. A pre-generated dungeon, make it large and populated, I don't care. The ability to get people into the dungeon ONLY via beacon warp or summon (cast by greedy Clan Engineer).
    F. The ability to change requirement reqs on chests and doors (when I warn you that only a fixer can open the chests, I damn well mean find a damn fixer!).
    G. Placable corpse items.

With that I can have fun, lead a 5 person group L 40-50 on a great romp with a limited reward. The key here is having INTERACTION WITH OTHERS THAT MATTER. Roleplaying with "butholsurfr" just doesn't do it for me. I want to affect the world at ANY level.

Now, my point isn't that this is "easy" or "hard" to do, or even that it is pretty cliched and you can pretty much play out how the above event would run. The idea is that a frantic mother breaks into your clan channel begging for help. After discovering that only a special engineer (who is, I dunno, drunk in the cup? ask crying mother) can get you there. And he can/will only teleport certain people...who are on HIS team. And then he bugs out.

Fairly low level, not affecting the storyline, a touching reunion scene...I'm all set. The possible abuse? 3 clan tokens. ok, award them after the paper is published..that's even better. Hell, I'll pay for the privilidge of running the above story.

Will it happen? No way. Why? Because FunCom has this same twisted image as many players, that FUNCOM IS THE STORY. Funcom's line is A story. A major story. But they aren't the ONLY story. They shouldn't be at least.

Bleys

Getting away from the discussion a bit, a few suggestions;):

You don't need GM to help you bust into your Guildchat. Remember, when somebody is invited into Org, it doesn't say WHO invited. So all you need is *one* accomplice inside the guild;). Trust me ;).

There's almost nobody in the Tir Cyborg Dungeon when I go there. In fact, it seems to actually spawn instances as well. Think about it ;).

You don't need the ability to change appearances. It's reasonably easy to make a few chars and get them to lvl 5 or 10 or 15 ;).
    Just make a few different chars :). Time investment to be sure - but who said this would be *easy*? ;-)

100k should be reasonably easy to get within a decent guild. I'm not rich, but if the 100k is the major problem between you and a good RP story, give me a /tell. I'd gladly contribute toward a good cause :).
    Similarly, there are worthwile rewards outside the Unique/Nodrop tokens. I can help with suggestions if you're interested :).

But Bionitrous is right (though I certainly don't want his pity, lol! If I don't have fun, I'll leave, no need for pity:)) - this is "working with what you got"... It could be a lot better if they paid more attention to conent and RP features, rather then overkilling and overshooting the mechanics fixes.
    I begged and pleaded with an Advisor to help me make ANYthing that's just itty-bitty unique. A suggestion for an unusual trade-skill item, or better yet, A piece of paper with a message is ALL I need to make wonderful stories - no such luck. Shame :(. It could be made a lot better...
    On the other hand, with so many people focusing on leveling and equipping - on the *mechanics* - it is unreasonable to expect FunCom to focus on things that its base doesn't appear to focus as much either.
    Too many people say "I'll level till I'm 100/150/200, then I'll RP".
    RP and exploration and story-telling should start at lowest levels. Many problems that stem from competition and this urge to be "uber" would seem far less important :).

AO is not *horrible* for RP. The fact that it's a Science Fiction setting, and fact that it's new and unexplored and non-brand, is what attracts me.
    Too many dwarves and goblins around, I'm SF more then Fantasy.
    And Star-Wars is such a long-lasting exploited brand, that I'm not sure there are stories to be told left, except by trully fanatical ;). The confines of the story are too rigid and well developed, the plausability is difficult to achieve. Well, for me at least :).

And as long as I am digressing and rambling like mad...

... sigh... The Longest Journey 2, how do I wish for you...
    :)

Just a quick one Nostra,

If and when they make it so you can join Omni-Pol, Omni-Med, Sentinals, Eco-Warriors, etc. they can get back to having some real player involvement with the storyline.

I don't want them to call out OmniRage [XRQ] to do some raid on some outpost in Tir County. That's just not fair to everyone who plays the game. You just might not be in OmniRage or be able to get into OmniRage or whatever. However, every paying customer will have equal access to get into Omni-Pol. The department will be run by a FunCom rep so we won't have player personality issues. They can kick you the hell out for non 'Omni-ish' behavior. They can make sure Omni-Pol is foiled in one of their 'missions' if it fits the story.

Most of all there is legitemacy with respect to the story line. I repeat: I don't give a flying fart if the Dim Circus performs some stupendous feat somewhere. However, if Omni-Armed Forces has a battle with the Sentinals and the outpost in Mort is subsequently guarded by Omni-Pol, that means something. Having a broadcast on your Omni-Med guild channel that healers are going to be needed to back up Omni-AF tomorrow at noon would be very very cool.

They absolutely need to have the Omni-Departments open up for players:

Omni-Pol
    Omni-InternOps
    Omni-AF
    Omni-Med
    Omni-Trans (yeah the Fixers)

Sentinals
    Eco Warriors
    The Clan for that guy who built Camelot

ICC departments.

Having duties with respect to the official storyline as well as your personal player association will be a key and differentiating feature of this game. It will give the casual player an identity as well. A member of Omni-AF will always have a duty to Omni-AF even if his guild disolves or if he never even has a personal player guild.

This feature is sorely missing from the game and impacts FunCom's ability to both tell the story properly AND add such features as Department based quests and missions (an Omni-Med mission would be different from an Omni-InternOps mission, for example).

I don't hate the game and don't always post negatively. It's just that positive posts such as touting the envisioned ability to join these departments go nowhere. Nothing on the envisioned list ever happens. Instead of getting some sugar with our medicine all we get is castor oil. When we think we are getting something nice like team missions, they turn out less than spectacular and they ruin solo missions at the same time.

I really wish they would just make the game better for a couple patches before returning to bash it in the teeth with the Nerf bat for a couple patches.

Omni-Pol has been recruiting for about a month now, I just made member last weekend. I love it. If you are LvL 50 or greater, you are welcome to apply:

http://www.omni-pol.welcome.de.vu/
    "Your village called...their idiot is missing"

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Yeah, you know we meant the REAL Omni-Pol. Not some player-run thing.

EDIT: You don't know how much that insults me to think that some players have grabbed the name of one of Omni-Teks departments and decided to do whatever they want with it.

Guess there was a bug with checking guild names upon creation that let that one slip through.

I would be ashamed if I were you people. That's akin to naming my character PhillipRoss. How self-centered and arrogant can some people be? I'm never failed to be amazed at how non-creative some kids can be.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Apr 17th, 2002 at 16:28:48.

Post Roleplaying

I think that a genuine RP experience is more than available in AO. The history of online roleplaying shows that for the most part, give gamers a way to interact with others and they'll roleplay it.

Take IRC for example. Online free-form roleplaying evolved there really, and there was far less to work with than we have with AO. Look at the FPS Tribes, someone actually made a mod that turned it into an RPG.

We have here the ability to do what we did then, to continue to RP in a new place, in a new way. I break the whole issue of RP in AO down to this:

MUDs had lots of content, everyone had a character and a relative competative level. People were interested in either A gaining levels for the sake of "winning" or B socializing in an OOC fashion. Many people wanted to use the MUD-style game to get into real RP as well, which is how MUSHs came about. A MUSH required far more on the part of the PLAYER, but no one minded becuase they considered it the price for a fufilling RP experience.

Name one thing that a MUD/MUSH has, in terms of player tools, which cannot be found on AO?

Moreover, consider how many aspects AO covers that were not covered in those games? Sure, we get hung up on the levelling aspect from time to time. But that's part of the point. Who would give your wizard any respect if they couldn't cremate the villiage, or a fighter pilot any respect if he couldn't even shoot down one enemy plane?

Characters are not born as the best things out there. It takes work to get to higher levels. Levelling in AO is almost exactly the same as in a table top RPG, you go out and kill things. I would love to claim to be a bad-to-the-bone NT who can destroy anything in her path, but I need to earn it first.
    Some people live for that part of the game, they love a good fight. AO happens to have many such people, but that does not mean they're not roleplayers.

In closing I suppose that I can sum it all up very easily. AO is a place where we're being handed a hell of alot of things on a silver platter. We have out sound, occasional theme music and a visual world in which to wander. Too many people are taking this for granted and have stopped using the most important thing to any gamer, their imagination.

PS: Noticed that the Omni-Pol (the one linked in this thread) Assault Corps wears a clan trenchcoat as an assigned uniform. Nice guys, there's some real thought that went into that one.
    Making RK2 less safe for everyone...

Ours go to eleven!

>>I would be ashamed if I were you people. That's akin to naming my character PhillipRoss. How self-centered and arrogant can some people be? I'm never failed to be amazed at how non-creative some kids can be.

*shrug*

They just found a solution for the problems you outline.

Don't get me wrong, but it's not difficult pointing out the problems in everything. they are being Non-creative? How so?

Optimal Solution: FunCom runs Omni Pol activelly.
    Worst solution: No Omni-Pol presence in the game.

Players run Omni-Pol: Somewhere in between.

Personally, I think that if Optimal solution isn't happening (and FC running OP activelly IS the optimal solution, no disagreement there:) - but it doesn't seem to be happening :(), then if players take the initiative and do a *good* job with it, awesome!:)

Again, I don't know about Omni-Pol. If they're running around in Clan coats then - whopsie daisy, lol :).

However to bring up an earlier example: I was very much against FunCom disbanding the player-run Dust Brigade. I had a chance to RP debate some issues with some of their members, and they were doing an ***Awesome*** job embracing the ideas and actions of the Dust Brigade. In many ways, they were a better Dust Brigade then FC could possibly run, because they had enthusiasm, imagination, and loved RPing. We started to plan some great events that could involve bystanders...

So, some narrow-minded people complained and petitioned. FC killed the Dust Brigade. No naming here, but these same people get to run their own story-guilds with much help from FC. I did not view it as a graceful move for them to work so hard to spoil other people's fun. I still do not understand their motivation:(.

And as you pointed out, nothing is happening since then.

How did that benefit **ANYBODY**? :(

If as you say all you're doing here is waiting until SWG comes along, and as you point out, FC isn't doing anything, then why have a beef with people trying to make the best out of situation? :-|
    Some of us are here to stay, and we'll do what we can to make RK the best world we can :).

I am completely, 100% agreeing with you that ideally, FC should wake up and start doing the Story telling. That's what I signed up for too :(.

I just think that if they're not jumping to the ball, somebody should:).
    Last edited by Nostra343; Apr 17th, 2002 at 20:22:12.

What does FunCom do when the player-run Omni-Pol decides to start killing Omni-Tek Guards?

What does FunCom do when the player-run Omni-Pol decides to attack Clan citizens in Clan territory?

How does FunCom explain the player-run Omni-Pol *applicants wearing Omni- *commander cloaks?

What does FunCom do when the head of the _real_ Omni-Pol makes a decision and the player-run Omni-Pol decide otherwise.

I love the fact that they can get their act together and have fun. But, this is blasphemous. This is like letting a player portray Lord British or Luke Skywalker and make decisions on the actions of these characters without Gariott or Lucas' permission. All it shows is that FunCom really doesn't care about the continuity of the storyline or that they don't even have a storyline at all at this point in time.

What will happen to this player-run organization if in Episode 9 of the Story Omni-Pol is dissolved after finding a mass of inpropriety at the top ranks of the organization?

It is just not right to let players portray important story elements with impunity. If they sign a contract with FunCom and agree to be where FunCom tells them and lose a battle if it fits the plot, then fine. If they realize that some of their characters may be perma-killed or forever banned from Omni-Tek for the advancement of the storyline, then fine. I have half a mind to petition these people and send emails protesting their appropriation of such an essential portion of the story elements but I know many of them are good guys. Just misguided.

Should I start a guild called Omni-AF and emote pissing in the Tir River cuz they hate Clanners? How about I create a clan guild 'The Sentinals'? It's just not right what these people are doing with respect to watering down the authenticity of reports regarding 'Omni-Pol'. I've had to stop going to Basher and Stratics because 80% of their reports are given as factual, when in fact it's just some story dreamed up by a guy in a basement in Boise.

If there was a guild named the 'Dust Brigade' before FunCom released this element of the Story, then the onus is entirely on FunCom for screwing up with 1st allowing the naming of a guild as an upcoming element of the story and secondly for not changing the name of the Dusters in their story after noticing there already was a Dust Brigade guild.

If these guys just decided that it would be cool to mimic the guys that FunCom created and take the story line into their own hands, then they got what they deserved by being renamed. They do NOT have access to the outzones. They do NOT have equipment that allows them to bypass suppression gas. If they were so intent on helping the community and playing Dusters then there's already a program for them. It's called the ARK system and it's quite straightforward what you need to do to join. This guild should have agreed to give up their rights as 'players' in the 'game' sense of the word and agreed to become 'players' in the 'story' sense of the word.

You, me, FunCom, those in that guild, would all have been better off in that instance. However, (and a BIG however) they would have to be highly restricted. The day I saw a member of this Dust Brigade guild LFG'ing for a group in B.S. is the day I spit in the direction of where ever the story department lies.

Likewise these supposed members of Omni-Pol. They had best not be grouping in Camelot castle (that is private property and not a place to see Policemen), they better not be hunting 'borgs in Mort (that's Clan territory and it's not the Police department's responsibility to safeguard that territory, if ANYTHING it would be Omni-AF, the Armed Forces). So, if they want to walk around the streets of Omni-1 and smack Clanners on the head, that's fine. If they want to pick up the RP banner and be Policemen, then they best act like Policemen. They have no reason to be in the City of Home or in fact anywhere outside of Omni major cities. Omni-Internops might have a detachment at the Biomare in TLR. Omni-AF might still be snooping around Sabulum. But them guys should stick to patrolling the cities and keeping them safe for the Employees.

I lay down the gauntlet to FunCom to settle this argument right now. Come to this thread and tell us that you endorse everthing those people are doing as official parts of the ongoing story. Tell me that when they refuse to arrest some clanner because he's the head of the player-run Omni-Pol guild that it'll be ok in terms of continuity of the story. Tell me that it was part of the 4-yr story that those players were 'checking ID's' of other players in the Rompa bar. At least tell me that somebody in charge of the story told them to go do it. There must be some form of legitamecy to these actions otherwise we have to spend all our time seperating the 'real' stuff from the crap played out by rogue players. Finally, if this writing of the 4-yr arc is going to be done by the players and not FunCom, then I might as well leave now. There's not enough of a 'game' in AO anymore to warrant competing and I'd rather sit on my front porch and drink a lemonade than be thrilled by stories of ID-checking, disco parties, and cross country races.

I'm NOT waiting for SWG. I'm intrigued by it. I'm waiting for AO to capture my attention like it did when Ross and Radiman were discussing the future of the political landscape. People checking for ID's in a bar, is not my idea of an intriguing plot.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Apr 17th, 2002 at 21:20:19.

>>This is like letting a player portray Lord British or Luke Skywalker and make decisions on the actions of these characters without Gariott or Lucas' permission. All it shows is that FunCom really doesn't care about the continuity of the storyline or that they don't even have a storyline at all at this point in time.

hmm...

agreed.

My only point was that, Lord British ain't showing up, it seems...

>>Come to this thread and tell us that you endorse everthing those people are doing as official parts of the ongoing story.

I'm pretty sure that the dissolve of Dust Brigade implies they do not support these people.
    Which would be fine, _if_ they had better plans of their own for Dust Brigade. But again, a radical, activist group of people are doing *precious* little as time goes by...

There *are* guilds with "legitimacy" bestowed upon them by FunCom. They are player-run guilds that have "official sanction" or whatever from FC. Namely, there are Clans that have direct access to GM's and resources, and co-ordination with "official story".
    Pity that majority of us do not... and pity that it's sorta arbitrary, and that a clan which could've done a very good job, given sanctions and some monitoring, was instead simply disbanded and now NOTHING is happening.
    Last edited by Nostra343; Apr 17th, 2002 at 21:19:56.

As I recall, before I joined my guild, there was a vote as to whether or not to be 'controlled' by FunCom. I forgot what it was called, 'restricted' or something. Basically, leveling didn't matter anymore and you were there for the good of the community and only did missions for the fun of it.

If a plot element required a lvl 150 character, then 'poof' one of your members was instantly lvl 153. If he was supposed to die in a battle, then he put on a qlvl 23 weapon half way through the battle.

If these 'Omni-Pol' guys have balls, then they'll sign up for this if they haven't already.

There is no excuse that they did not name themselves 'Omni City Guard' or something similar. They could have had the same agenda without trying to usurp the role of one of the most important factions in the game. What does FunCom do when they add player membership in Omni departments and Clan guilds? It is a blatant ego trip for someone to claim they are the 'president' of Omni-Pol. What about the five thousand other players who want to be Chief of Police? Last I checked, the Chief of Police is usually an 'appointed' position by the Mayor of a town, board of directors, or otherwise approved by the people he protects. You tell me which players or story character appointed this 'president'. There are so many non-sequiturs related to this organization that could simply have been avoided if they had taken the less vain and self-centered route of being creative and coming up with an organization focused on the same goals as they are now without potentially damaging the story.

If these people are so creative and dedicated, why would people be less scared of 'Omni Protocol Enforcement' than an illegitimate ripoff of one of FunCom's creations?

O.P.E. - 'We check ID's, take names, and kick ass'

I got more respect for someone who comes up with the above than someone who rips off FunCom and waters down the plot.

>>they'll sign up for this if they haven't already.

Hmm, news to me...
    I don't remember EVER having such a choice. Same for many of my friends who have started their own guilds, some smaller, some larger.

If it's really that easy to get in touch with FunCom, or even if you just think it is, I can much better understand your frustration with these guilds (and again, I don't know much about Omni-Pol members to judge them properly).

however, we are a largish guild (we had about 250 members before a large trim-down), and very eager and serious about RP. Yet as I mentioned, we couldn't get a basic piece of advice from FunCom, let alone any significant help or endorsement or saction or *whatever*.

It is in this atmosphere of helplesness and isolation, I understand people developing alternatives of their own... :-|

OK, enough of the argumentative tone. We're both on the same side with differing tolerances for diluting the 'official' story.

We both agree that the Official Story is 100% gone as far as Story is concerned. There may be 'events'. But that ain't Story.

Lack of Story is enough to get me to leave as it's what I signed up for. You, however, can deal with the lack of any Official Plot since you're willing to take AO and utilize it as a 'tool' or better yet as a 'stage' for your own personal role playing vignettes.

I'm just so angry at FunCom for what they did to this game that it's getting the better of me.

=============================

Here's an another analogy regarding those people who decide to usurp the identities of official story elements.

Imagine there's a game called 'Friends Online'. It's based on the hit TV series. Now, I sign up because I think I'm going to get to play one of the people who live on the floor below them and get to play out my life and go to 'Central Perk' and basically be provided with interesting things to do in New York. All the while, there is an episode of 'Friends' going on in the game. Rachel, Ross, Joey, Phoebe, Chandler, Monica, etc, etc. are doing things and and generally making the game a more humorous and enjoyable experience. I get to improve my Laundry skills at the laundromat and maybe overhear some interesting juice about Joey's duck and the squirrel on the roof. I'm playing a game and having a hilarious story told to me that I'm actually in.

So, you turn this into Anarchy Friends Online and we end up with a game that was interesting at first, but with each successive patch becomes more and more mediocre as far as the 'game' portion goes. Then you notice that NONE of the 'Friends' ever appear in the game at all anymore. Everytime you walk down their hallway the doors are locked and the game is just a bunch of 'normal' people working for a living. Finally somebody decides that THEY are going to play Joey Trebbiane. All fine and good for him. I bet he's having fun. But, in the end, it just doesn't work for the rest of us.

Replacement players didn't work during the NFL strike and it don't tick for me in AO.

The only time that worked was when Dick York got replaced by Dick Sargent .... and that was a stretch.

>>OK, enough of the argumentative tone.

lol, agreed. It snuck up on us.

As for the rest: I will never admit I watched Friends.

edit: Oh and I think we both Agreed on the immediate need for The Longest Journey 2?

We should press up on FunCom on *that*!

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Yeah, you know we meant the REAL Omni-Pol. Not some player-run thing.

EDIT: You don't know how much that insults me to think that some players have grabbed the name of one of Omni-Teks departments and decided to do whatever they want with it.

Guess there was a bug with checking guild names upon creation that let that one slip through.

I would be ashamed if I were you people. That's akin to naming my character PhillipRoss. How self-centered and arrogant can some people be? I'm never failed to be amazed at how non-creative some kids can be.
    You know, you sound like nikkidial in that post. You don't know anything about what that guild is about and you can go ahead and try to demean whatever you want, I could care less. But after being in several other guilds, Omni-Pol easily beats all of them hands down. Most people RP very well in that guild and it is run quite orderly. We get various people's help too (GM's) when we do things.

We all know that the story line has gone to crap and that the way it was implemented was a big mistake. Does that mean we should lay down everything else and just go and level and mission to death until we are as pissed off as you? Screw that.

The way Meister makes Omni-Pol run is very close to how I would expect anyone to run it, Funcom included.

If you are so bored with crap, FINE, LEAVE YOU WHINY B*TCH. But the day I let diks like you trample all over something as good as what we have going on is the day I QUIT.

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Oh, and one other thing, if Omni-Pol is just a player run "thing", why would we have things like this:

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...news/omninews/

and this:

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...articles/2960L

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Some good posts here by Bionitrous in particular. I dont have time to read it all so I might repeat something said before here but I think its important:

To those who think 14.2 will lvl things out, I believe your wrong, I believe what you mostly will notice from 14.2 is the following:

You do a mission. Your next mob is a trader mob. You pull him everything goes fine for 30sec, you think you are going to win. Then suddenly trader mob executes some deprive/divest or ransack/plunder inside your NCU. Suddenly you weapon turn red and you do half the damage you did before. Suddenly your pets refuse to follow orders. Suddenly you are restricted to cast nanos you could at half your current lvl. Suddenly all you can do is run to zone and sit outside for 3min waiting for debuff to wear out and hope the mob isnt camping zonein when you get back. Then you have to try again and hope you can kill this mob without getting debuffed this time.

I think 14.2 will be the biggest disaster patch in ao for a long time. I think it will destroy much of the fun in the game. In EQ you sit on your ass medding for 5min after you kill a mob, boring as hell. In AO you will sit on your ass waiting for debuffs to wear off after 14.2, and have to pray you can kill the mob on second attempt without getting debuffed. Please note this will happen even if you are not overequipped, debuffs take away 40% of your weapon/nano skills easy.

You haven't been reading the patch notes too well. Pets will finish out a battle before stopping.

Debuffs already screw me when I'm in my NT, so there won't be a difference.

The only valid point is on weapons. I can see how that would be a negative factor and agree completely.

I will be quitting when SWG beta opens up. Already there is much more story integration within the game, but I expected that from Lucasarts. Even though I defend my guild, leaving us to strive after a story is unforgivable, and the complete lack of communication on Funcom's part is as well. 14.2 won't make me quit, those two reasons will.

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast