Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: >> A new way to gain XP <<

I think that anything that takes the focus from fighting to gain exp is good.

Why not have it so when you sucessfully manage a skill such as a healing nano, (e.g. you hit the top health given) you get some experience, or when you manage to hit with a pistol at the max of its damage, or you get a critical hit.
    That way you actually recieve experience from using all of your skills.

I like the idea of Exploring, however I don't think it should give exp, perhaps it should allow your navigation skill to go up, that way after you've gone around exploring for a while your navigation will have improved.

Talking great idea...you listening Funcom?

ah you read of rants, whines, fanboy adulations...and once in awhile you get to read a really good post like this one...

as pointed out, ANYTHING that allows gaining XP WIHOUT fighting should be encouraged and promoted...it will NEVER be as efficient as gaining it via fighting (hence not hoepfully abused or exploitable..) but the fact that one can live a life wihout is nice...

recently my doc has been earning a tidy sum of XP (not to mention credits :P) from trade skills...not enough to make it full time job, but enough to get that satisfaction one should get since we are paying for this privilege...hey it's only a game..but let's make it a fun and rewarding one..

Cozmik or Cz you listening I hope
    Chirurgie

Omni-Med Doctor

"Dammit, I am a doctor. not a MOB Magnet!"

"Humidity Extractors for all Doctors, NOW!"

i am voting for Gummizluv to be the new Assistant Game Mechanic at Funcom.

everyone else, can be support staff. great ideas, everybody!

i remember playing the game Rolemaster (by I.C.E.) all the time with my friends. the thing that stood out was whoever the GM was, they always gave bonus experience to the characters with the good ideas, the Healers that healed, trap disarming & successful perception (secret doors or whatever).

i think it's cool that AO gives exp for opening locked chests (i leveled off one of those!), making implants & for other trade skills. it would be nice if it were a little more though. it seems as though they have done at least some of those, but healing has been left out.

*Erskine
    *Freedom's Edge
    *www.freedomedge.com

Talking

Originally posted by Erskine
    i am voting for Gummizluv to be the new Assistant Game Mechanic at Funcom.
    And now Clan Enforcers will have a 25% xp bonus whenever they are not zoning....

Mmmmh... Did I said that loud ?
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Talking THIS WOULD BE SWEET!

I'm a neutral Meta. I have made every effort to try to live outside of the guidelines of the game, because I feel that it is a bit narrow in scope. Everyone has to kill...

I've been really working on my nano programming skills, and it would be nice to be adequately rewarded for this, but as it stands. I get far more xp for killing mobs.

I believe I remember reading something issued by Funcom early on about not having to be a fighter to enjoy the game. That players would be able to actively participate in more social activities and still advance.

Well, I haven't seen this yet, but it would be a great step in the right direction.

Like getting the same amount of xp for creating a QL 100 implant that you would get for killing a Level 100 mob, or some variant there of. That would keep me out of the forests and deserts, where i'm usually dead meat, while I socialized and developed business relationships with others.

Furthermore, I have heard that many of the prices on the items required to perform ones trade are very high. So high, in fact, that in some cases it is more cost effective to buy the item from the store instead. FC should probably look into this, and into the availability of all of the trade skill items, like carbon rich rock.

SUPERB IDEA!
    Last edited by Yeshua; Nov 30th, 2001 at 22:51:07.

Yeshu-Level 89-Neutral-MP

May The Hand of Rubi-Ka be your guide...

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    Hehe, i did that before in my yalmaha, Just went in one dircetion and kept going, but what really gets me is, the world is not round.
    its flat, If i go to one side of the map i dont appear on the other.
    I ust hit a Red Zone and ...cant go further, I see more land but its over.
    That's because the game only covers part of Rubi-Ka - the bit that's been terraformed for human habitation. Maybe, one day the map will get bigger.
    Also, what is it with the zone that you cant pass through, ill post you a pic of sme of the places you cant pass.
    and you have to go aaaaaaaaaaal the way around it to get there :/
    My guess is these zones haven't been created yet. No doubt FunCom will let us know when we can enter them.

Originally posted by Gummizluv
    ....who's better at designing new weapons than a good experimented user ? So YES Soldiers should create their Heavy Plasma Nowyouareajustabloodypileofpulp Rifle.
    Hey. I have an idea
    (don't know if it's any good???)
    I think the above point is valid. Someone who uses the darned thing would know more about it than someone who just makes it, but perhaps they can also implement some type of system like this:

1- A weapon ( lets use some type of gun, for example) could be created by someone (an Engineer, lets say) and that would give the engineer XP.

2- Well, maybe Funcom creates a "Quality Control" Nano, so that if this Engineer gives his newly created gun to a soldier to Quality Control Test, then the Soldier will get xp for "testing" the weapon.

3- After a predefined length of time, the nano would run out and the item would be returned to the Engineer. This way, the Engineer doesn't have to worry about dishonest players "not returning the item", and the Tester gets some xp and the chance to use a potentially cool/new weapon for a short time.

4- You may ask why the engineer would bother going through this?

Simple answer, - because s/he gets the weaponsmith skill (or whatever is used) upgraded for doing quality work (part of quality craftsmanship includes testing your product). Or maybe, if they don't want to increase the skill level of the skill, Funcom could just give the Engineer some xp for bothering to go through all that.

This could be used for other applications/professions/items, that way it would encourage interaction, and give us ways to earn xp other than fighting (or for fighting, if thats your specialty).
    «¤ W¥RM ¤»

Good stuff here

Bump.

Cool

Yeah bump too.

And as I'm always trying to find new ideas too :

I'd like to see my Enforcer able to slightly change the color of it's armor when he reaches a new level title. Our guys (CLANS side) are mainly using VITO's (brown-orange), CHILLED (blue), HEATED (red) or TITAN (Green) armors. Having a deeper color or a darker color when you go up in lvls should be nice.

Now that could be a tradeskill too.

( and yes it's just remotly related to XP )
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

This is one thing Asheron's Call did very well: increase a skill by using it. You got xp/skill increase not only from the death of a mob but also from just using the skill. For example, you fletched some arrows, you got xp, part of it "spendable," part of it put right into the fletching skill itself. You killed a mob as a mage and you got xp for the mob but also some xp into the types of skills used to kill it (war magic, mana conversion, life magic for buffs/debuffs, etc etc).

On the downside, it also created a "macro'ing" community where characters just stood around unattended for literally hundreds of hours, performing repetitive tasks.

The idea to have some actions improve skills is a great one and one thing AO is missing.

Red face

Mmmmh... I'm not found of this way of improving skills. Let's face it : AO has its way to handle skill progress, we can propose some tweaking but not a different set of rules.

And I must add that raising his skills by a repitive process is very, very, very tiedous. And I was 200 swimming in EQ, I know what it's like.

The way skill progress with IPs and experience allocation is not the best but it has its virtues. One of them being : no downtime. Let's stick to that.

Lightbulb

I gladly add reference to this thread on map making :
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...&threadid=2285

Lightbulb

Bumping in regards with "Clan advantages' thread. Some ideas to mix here.

Cool

I like this idea of rewarding classes with the things they do best. It really encourages the roleplaying aspect of the game, which is after all what the game should be about.

Hehe, i did that before in my yalmaha, Just went in one dircetion and kept going, but what really gets me is, the world is not round.
    its flat, If i go to one side of the map i dont appear on the other.
    I ust hit a Red Zone and ...cant go further, I see more land but its over.

Also, what is it with the zone that you cant pass through, ill post you a pic of sme of the places you cant pass.
    and you have to go aaaaaaaaaaal the way around it to get there :/
    The world is round but we residents only live in a small section of it, which is the terraformed area. The rest of the world has yet to be terraformed.

Originally posted by Gawyn
    I like this idea of rewarding classes with the things they do best. It really encourages the roleplaying aspect of the game, which is after all what the game should be about.
    Yes ! Please fix Enforcers so that we gain XP for killing mobs.
    Last edited by Unexpected; Dec 11th, 2001 at 18:42:32.

BUMP... back to the top of the pile please

great thread guys and gals!

*bump*
    Yes it would be excellent to get XP for what one do best.
    I also like the idea on new titles.
    Kinda keeps one going, just to get that extra title or XP bonus.

I'm sure the Dev Team looks at this, and hopefully start planning something based on this thread.

Wink

Originally posted by Pingvin
    I'm sure the Dev Team looks at this, and hopefully start planning something based on this thread.
    They don't, it's not sticky yet.

If its not sticky then we just have to keep bumping it back to the top.

we have to have ways other than killing to earn XP, I mean... what about those people who want peace in the world... they can hardly roleplay wanting peace whilst still having to kill omni scum to gain XP

AO basher has put an article about this thread on their front page. so it is starting to get more and more support

BUMP!

Gimme Xp for dancing =) perheps even dancing titles!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast