Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dream mission...

Talking Cross proffession

I'm definitely in favor of the puzzles being applicable across multiple proffessions, for example a trade skill puzzle crosses trader, fixer, and engy (since all three have green trade skills). Though it would be most suited to the trader.

The idea of selecting proffessions (in a mission sense) means a player is going to generate certain *types* of puzzles in their mission. Even though any given puzzle would be applicable for a variety of proffessions.

Likewise, there could be generic puzzles that aren't really tailored to specific classes, but just enhance the mission (fleeing targets, really tight time limits). So all of these could be incorporated into possible mission configurations and really bring the mission system to life.

There could also be puzzles that are proffession specific in the mess, after all variety is the ****e of life.

As far as putting this thread elsewhere...

Hmmm how about a sticky thread in Game Mechanics? Cosmic, Cz?
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

Transcript of CHAR_CRE_29 sound in the AO character creation sequence.

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

Originally posted by Cosmik
    /me gives Trosida a cookie (brain food!).

Awesome descriptions there, and certainly broadens the scope of missions. Straight to the designers with this.

Ya!!! Someone at Funcom listens!!!! Thank you Cozmik, This would add HUGE content to the game.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Re: whoa!

Originally posted by DaveDread
    I utterly love this! Total, utter and complete respect Trosida!

A few more ideas here, namely Ability based rooms/objects:

* "How the friggin Leet are we supposed to get up there?" the MP asked his team, the item supposed to be returned to clan laboratories lingered at a gleaming pedistal out of the teams grasp. "I mean if it was outside I could probably fly up and get it..."... "I think I can reach it" the MA interrupted, stretching his legs. "I used to jump cliffs of that height when I was younger. For solitude and contemplation. Hope I still have it in me." "Here, this might help" the agent said and uploaded a AGILITY-nano in the MA's NCU. "Not quite" the MA murmered, reached into a bag and pulled out his trusty old G-staff (adds to AGILITY). "This will hopefully do it." With a mighty leap he took off, landing square on the pedistal. "Got it. Let's hurry back." he said, winking at his teammates."Funny, you looke like ants down there."

/DaveDread

Err, we DO have a Adventuring skill, which is, in essense, climbing. However, your other examples are great.

Sense skills are already implemented, in that the spot hidden skill is sense and perception based.

bleys

yup

Ah yes. Would be good to have a use for that adventuring skill. Heh, I was just happy that I figured out something an MA could do. 8P

/DaveDread

Ah

Just a bump to see if any more ideas are floating around, may need to repost this under the game mechanics section.
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

Trosida, please save this thread on your HD and repost it on game mechanics/in progress... This is way to good to get wiped when they get the 14.2 temp forum up.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

What I did

Was introduce the thread, and provide a link. I then reposted the various mission types I first posted here. It felt awkward to repost other people's posts I'd rather they do that themselves.

SO...

If you have mission ideas in this thread please repost them in the Game Mechanics section under the same thread title.

We'll keep this alive!

Unhappy

It would be incredible if missions worked even close to that way... We can dream can't we?

Originally posted by Trosida
    Unfortunately, NT stuff would require massive changing of the rules to help ungimp you guys... I was trying to stick with things in the game but if you like...

NT- This is a *DEMOLITIONS* mission!

Engy- Ok what do we do...

NT- Well little engy you don't get to come along, its just me and 5 other NTs armed with actual functioning NUKES and we go blow the living SNOT out of the target, over and over again. Then we dance around naked chanting in leet... 'w3 0wnzd j00!'

(Engy backs away slowly as the NTs laugh maniacally at their regained power.)

Really though I'm not that familiar with NTs but I hear there is a plight of being gimped at the moment, a shame too, you guys are NUKERS or at least should be. I wouldn't begrudge that at all.
    Engineer: Hold up team, my analysis sensor is detecting sentries in the next room.

Crat: Agent, put on a cloaking pack and get in there. Scout out and report what you see.

(later)

Agent: Good thing we didn't rush in, I saw an alarm probe, enforcer mob, and 4 hidden gun emplacements on the walls(which would have been activated by the alarm probe or if they sensed activity)

Fixer: I can crack open this alarm control panel here and access the command interface. But I don't have the nano programming required to turn change the sentry gun's command parameters.

Nt: *I* have the nano programming required! Once you hack your way in give it to me and I will reverse the sentries command parameters, I will also command the alarm probe to deactivate.

*The NT activates the command panel.*
    *The sentry guns come alive and start attacking the enemy enforcer guarding them*
    *The alarm probe falls to the ground, deactivated*
    *The team moves on to the next room*

Originally posted by Fleshsmyth
    Now you have my brain straining for ideas for MPs, MAs and traders as i think they are the only ones that have been neglected.
    These missions would be kind like dues ex... You will have several ways to get to the boss mob.

Some of these paths require combat, some require tradeskills, some require hacking or infiltration.

Basically a team of enforcers and a doc could still do the mission, they would just have to take the long way, fighting though everything.

These changes are not designed to make fixers, agents, engineers, REQUIRED... but if you have one in your team it will make things a lot easier for you if you can deactivate those sentry guns instead of fighting them.

These missions ideas would be very cool, but the fact is people still do missions for exp... And if they are doing missions for exp they will not want to take shortcuts by hacking and stuff, because that means less to kill...

BUT...

These ideas would be kick ass in team missions.

Team missions are so long and hard, all these special shortcut abilities would be great... Cuz the main goal of a team mission is making your way to the boss anyway (At least in 14.2).

I sent the link of this thread to feedback@anarchy-online.com

I suggest you all not only BUMP this thread, but send the link into FC's email.

The more people email, the more likely they are to take it seriously.

This is true

People do missions for experience. So there are a couple of things to do. First provide a nice experience reward for these types of missions since 1) you can't clear them due to time limits, and 2) they are much more difficult than a standard mission.

Even without that having the options are always a good thing.

BUMP BUMPBUMPBUMP

BUUUUUUMP
    BUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMP

These truely are "dream" missions because they have no chance of every becoming real.

This would require a total recoding of the mission structure. They would have to program the missions to not only generate randomly... but to generate in such a way that there are multiple paths to the boss mob or goal... They would then also have to program it to randomly place down different things that can be done to open up a shorter or easier path (like hacking, sneaking, programming... whatever.)

Why do they have to do it this way? because of course they can't just start randomly tossing things in the mission and blocking vital doorways. No team should be required to do these things, they should be optional but well worth the effort.

These new mission ideas should be on team missions only, makes more sense because they can program you to accually face the boss mob at the end... and you could utilize more than one skill to get past a mission when in a team.

I'd agree except

Even now there are entirely blocked missions. Doesn't happen too often but every once in a while I'll get the dreaded... locked door. I haven't raised B&E so that's it for me in such a mission.

If the reasoning "well raise your B&E" is applied then the same is true for dream missions. Bear in mind to properly implement this would really require a 'profession' selection on the mission booth to include missions that have puzzles tailored to the profession(s) selected.

More ideas

OK this is exactly the same thing that I was speaking about erlier this week in the OT OOC channel. The only exception is I was talking about it in terms of solo missions and static quests. I think that I am not alone in saying that I often feel that I'm only in the game doing the same repetative missions and not really accomplishing anything. One of the things that was told to those of us during the initial launch of the game was that the interaction of the PCs would effect the storyline. Even if only in small ways, and that there would be static as well as Dynamic mission. These ideas listed for new mission type would go towards helping to make people feel as though they are doing something to make that impact. What I propose though is that take the idea of individual classes being in different "clans" or "Departments" to the next level. Open a few of those empty rooms in some of the cities and make them "Department Offices" in these offices would be the mission terminals but instead of the standard missions being generated from them a class specific misssion one is generated. This mission type would be of urgent priority and require the specific class type to complete. Examples....

Agent - You and your Team must go to the hideout of a clan of a group of brutal clan terrorists that have kidnapped a high level OT board member. Because of the sensitive nature of the information this board member possess it is essential that you clear as many of the ramble as possible and search around until you find the data pieces of the extracted information scattered within the Mission area. Be quick about this because although they can hold him there indefinately we know they will soon be transfering the information they have already gained.

(objectives for completion find board member gather and assemble data from terminals requiring b&e or comp skill x pieces of information in area)

Doc - Due to a recent rash of Omni attacks into the Neutral territories and the desire of our clan fathers to recruit more of them into our fold we have decided to send a mission of mercy to the neutral territories. It seems that a group of OT marauding soilders has taken up residence in 4 holes and there is a neutral family still scattered inside that same old mine. We are requesting that you and your team find and heal them and give them one of these goodwill packets. We know that at least 2 of the family members have been cornered but are currently out of reach of the Omni soldier in their area. It is advised you have someone with the mechanical skill to make it to them or failing that to be able to hack through their security to rescue them.

(objective heal the NPCs, find ones hidden (using new perception) or b & e through tough doors or using mechanical skill open barrier, give all found Neutrals goodwill pacet.)

Engineer - It seems that seems to a recent high level covert opperation by those dastardly clan fiends we have a small problem at our Ion Cannons in Clon****. Inside of our base there it seems that the clanners have infiltrated a special team and are even now planning to totally disable those cannons and leave us wide open for assault. We need a crack team of combat engineers to go in and find the needed parts to reassemble the Ion Cannon Targeting Module that is now scattered withing the facility. Beware though that the clan special opperatives team is still present in that same building, but even more importantly it will only be a matter of hours before we expect the full attack if the Targeting Module remains offline and not then put back into place.

(objective find parts to module and assemble, take parts to "boss room" to insert into ion cannon control room)

On any missions like these the killing of all enemy is a secondary objective to the more important one stated as a major objective. The accomplishment of these type missions could have higher rewards and these would all be on stricter requirement for time and such. Additionally these type missions could be tracked for storyline purposes and be used for game influence. Just some thought I suppose.

8)

Ah, Many thanks Cosmik.

This baby does deserve a little more attention methinks.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

WHOOHOO!

Thank god this got moved instead of deleted with the rest of 14.0 forum.

BUMP BUMP BUMP

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast