Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dream mission...

.........buMP BUmp...........

Ok you want more Easy to implment ideas?

Take that standerd glowing Computer Orb from Repair missions, You have to "Interface" with it for 1 min and 30 seconds and if you take any damage during that time you have to start over with possiblity that your "link" gets hit in the crossfire and missions fails

Then at the mission entrance a group of five to twenty NPC "guards" "Response Team" "SWAT" "Evil Monkeys" spawn and come running towards your postion, Thefore the rest of your team has to protect you and all the Enemeys start with a good amount of Hate towards you

Rest of the team has to calm/root/get arrgo from the NPCs so that you can survive that 1 Min and 30 seconds furthmore to add to suspens Lock the Cham so its 1st person only and lock the person intrefacing so he can't do any rooting or anything of his own while this is going on

Easy as hell to implent and might never will...

Much more intense than Kill xxx. Find xxx, Return Xxxx Repair xxx.....................................

Neat!

Originally posted by Mr Bean
    Ok you want more Easy to implment ideas?

Take that standerd glowing Computer Orb from Repair missions, You have to "Interface" with it for 1 min and 30 seconds and if you take any damage during that time you have to start over with possiblity that your "link" gets hit in the crossfire and missions fails

Then at the mission entrance a group of five to twenty NPC "guards" "Response Team" "SWAT" "Evil Monkeys" spawn and come running towards your postion, Thefore the rest of your team has to protect you and all the Enemeys start with a good amount of Hate towards you

Rest of the team has to calm/root/get arrgo from the NPCs so that you can survive that 1 Min and 30 seconds furthmore to add to suspens Lock the Cham so its 1st person only and lock the person intrefacing so he can't do any rooting or anything of his own while this is going on

Easy as hell to implent and might never will...

Much more intense than Kill xxx. Find xxx, Return Xxxx Repair xxx.....................................
    That's a cool idea too! You can have the activation of the item take some amount of time. This is already done with trimmers, and the equiping of gear.

Each time the character is hit while trying to interface there is a cumulative chance the mission fails.

Sounds good to me!
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

Transcript of CHAR_CRE_29 sound in the AO character creation sequence.

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

More Ideas

I am ignoring fighter types pretty much here..all missions are destructo missions right now.

Generic ways to use other (support) professions:

1. KEY-Locked doors. You must get a KEY dropped from a special mob to go to the next level of the mission This mob:

A. Is behind a "broken door" (Tradeskills: Engie or Trader)
    B. Is behind a locked door (Fixer/Agent)
    C. Is accessible only via a small "hole in the wall" (Adventurer with leet).
    D. Is accessible only via climbing a wall or steep slope (Adventuring skill!!!!)

2. Entrance/next level door is protected by a device that aborts mission automatically AND calls (or summons) a ton of reds unless:
    A. Disarmed using B&E (Fixer/Agent)
    B. Is "Beacon Warped Through (Engie)
    C. Is Grid jumped through (Fixer)
    D. Is pounded to a pulp before it gets a warning out.
    E. Is attacked ONLY using nano attacks (NT, DoTs)
    F. Is attacked ONLY using [Pick Damage Type Here (Engie/Trader determine Damage type, soldier/enforcer has ability to give that damage).
    G. Only attacks those in Human form (Adventuer makes others leets or wolves).
    H. Everyone sneaks by.

3. MoB are
    A. Clearly to high to fight, mobs in a room can be "permamezzed" by someone sneaking by and putting 'sleeping goop' in the water to the room.
    B. Invunerable to all damage except (Pick type. Type determined by an Engie gaget (MecheE/QnthTh) OR a Agent gaget (Perception). Note that damage type Physical means you need a good MA.
    C. primed to RUN for the exit, must be rooted/mezzed and killed. Extra mezzers may be posted along route back so that they can catch him and re-root as he runs.

I do wonder how hard these ideas are to implement?

Bleys

This would also encourage characters to emphasize skills and nanos other than the ones that are now useful. The first time a crat got to the end of the mission only to find that it could only be completed by someone with a 300 Psychology or an MA found that the target couldn't move until someone had cast Lend Nano on them would be a big turning point.

Scorus

Inspired!

That tunnel idea requiring the adventurer to turn himself or others into leats is inspired! What if you had to be turned into a leet go through the tunnel to the BIG COMPUTER ROOM (tm) and then use a trade skill to fix something...

Ah inter-proffession dependence to mission completion, that'd be fun.
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

Re: Dream mission...

Hehe, I hate to do this:

Soldier: u get mission yet?
    Fixer: no
    NT: no
    MP no
    crat: let's go
    engie: got on in PM
    Soldier: what's pm?
    engie: er...one
    Fixer: where u at soldier?
    Engie: Ok, let's go
    Soldier: I'm at shop getting ammo, I forgot
    Engie: Ok, we'll wait
    Fixer: I'm going to head to PM
    Engie: k
    'Crat has left the group'
    NT: Crap, we lost the crat
    <crat tells you:> sry, got to help guild
    engie: She has to help guild, we need a 6th
    MP: You ready yet soldier?
    NT: MA friend wants to join
    Engie: k
    MA: hi
    Soldier: welcome MA
    MP: You ready yet soldier?
    Fixer: k, I'm in pm
    Soldier: What is pm?

Hehe, no matter how cool missions are, I'm afraid that is the cold reality of the roleplay that goes with them. :)

Ok, thus far we have focused on "Stereotypical" skills needed to do such and such. With a team mission with 6 people, regardless of the professions, perhaps you should be just generally "expected" to be able to do some things. Or maybe on a mission some "random" needs will be expected. Needs like:

Have a decent perception...what if you have SOME monsters with a 0 spot hidden but were ACE level. You MUST MUST MUST use a tool to spot them and sneak them.

Be able to open locked doors and chests (assumed now)

Be able to kill things without dying (assumed now).

Be able to heal massive damage/nano quickly (assumed now).

Be able to fix broken things (MechE/EE).

Be able to climb something (i.e. adventuring > 100)

Be able to break down a door (i.e. brawl > 200)

Be able to swim across a stream.

And as a special bonus to all those OEers out there:

Be able to remove armor to put on special, one-use, "Mission garb" -- to blend in.

Be able to remove your weapons to equip a special, one-use, "gun-of-destroy-mission-objective".

I've kind of gotton off-topic. The goal here was to have missions with "cool things" in them that would require no new development, only use of exiting skills/items.

Bleys

Yup

Good thing we're not talking about roleplaying!

That is the CURRENT reality of missions. If you make profession missions, people who WANT to roleplay will play them. People who want to roleplay but aren't playing AO will sign up. People who want the level treadmill will stick to the old mission types and hunting where it is available.

And if a number of people stink at these missions at first, I don't care. Just like anything else, people will learn over time what is the best tactic to use towards these missions. People will learn what is in store for them and what they need to do. I'm sure at first a number of stupid treadmillers will get in groups used to running around killing mobs as fast as possible. To me, the worst part in single-player CRPGs is when you have to run around back and forth doing nothing other than killing enemies over and over to gain levels and loot. The best part is the content. Currently, AO has no real content. All you do in AO right now is run around killing things to get levels and loot.

Profession specific missions would add real content to AO. It would add something that would really make it feel like you are doing a mission. Also, keep in mind that profession specific mission don't always have to be restricted to teams. You can have missions that require the things listed so far, but if only 1 person takes the mission, limit the aspects of the mission to only require what is available to that profession. Even without the fun of being in a team, those missions would really be fun in and of themselves. I for one wouldn't care whether they gave ANY loot or ANY XP. The incentive for doing them is the sheer fun of actually doing them, not what you get afterwards.

Some solid Ideas =)
    Although I would like FC to devote its energy to class balance and some of the iffy game mechanics. After they are "fixed" perhaps we can see ideas like this implemented.

Also if any of you have played EQ, perhaps take a ideas from there. You may have taken part in the ring war in the great divide, The war was my favorite part of EQ.
    For those of you who haven't I'll give you a run down
    Idea of the quest is to protect dwarf town from the Giant army.
    You have a number of squads of dwarfs at your command, very few compared to the number of Giants.
    They spawn in 3 waves of around 50 or so giants each wave, assembled in battle formation and they proceed to charge the dwarf outpost. its up to the players to protect the dwarfs =)
    at the end of it the giant commander spawns, and boy is he a mean sob....

anyways you get the idea. that sort of encounter would translate quite well to AO I think...
    (if they can improve the quality of their connections that is)

Thumbs up I disagree

Personally, I think proper missions are a step in the right direction towards balancing the classes. Need for specific proffessions within a class, things for classes to do without worrying about combat. Fixing up the missions would be a magnificent step in the right direction for this game. Seems to me after reading various forums what people mainly want is to be 'needed' on a team and to feel like they are contributing.

This is obviously for a mission based game style.

PvP, I don't even know where to begin except to say I can't see how you can ever balance a doc with a soldier (with the current CON system). Perhaps I'll post my CON system ideas later.

For reference on the need to put other proffessions into teams check out the "All proffessions are worthless" thread should be around here somewhere...

Eitherway, it is my belief that fixing the missions in this way would push AO far along to the game it was 'supposed to be' based on the ideas presented by FC.

Also I've heard about the Dwarf/Giant thing in EQ and that would translate *VERY* nicely to this game!

Originally posted by Ebonezer Good
    Some solid Ideas =)
    Although I would like FC to devote its energy to class balance and some of the iffy game mechanics. After they are "fixed" perhaps we can see ideas like this implemented.

Ebonezer, while the ideas here may not actually "fix" a profession, for some professions, it will give them a lot more to do with what they have and give them a niche in player society.

For example, all the B&E suggestions, like hacking alarm systems, cameras, gun turrents, hacking computers for info and the like would give the Fixer class an importance. Especially if difficultly levels for b&e were made more appropriate to the levels (right now one of the devs says he can break into a diff 400 chest with only a skill of 150, which downplays the value of someone who gets the skill at green IP levels.)

Some of the supporting classes simply need in missions roles outside of Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! that fully utilize their experitse.

In this way, FC can make a lot of players happy, with little effort, while still working on balance issues.

And I know there's a lot of Fixers/Engies/Traders/Adventurers/Crats out there who are looking for more definition to their class and making missions that utilize their skills would do this.

So, come on! FunCom! Waddya say! How about focused missions???
    Yureiko

Level 74 Fixer

"You've been adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience," - Cobra Bubbles

"There are computer games that handle the Fixer type character really well. AO is not one of them.

Check out Uplink, System Shock II and Project Eden for a truly engaging Fixer Fix."

Re: Re: Dream mission...

Originally posted by griemdaall

'Crat has left the group'

If that is your experience with crats, I'm truly sorry on behalf of my proffesion..

-Hotsy
    Level 116 Crat on RK1

/me gives Trosida a cookie (brain food!).

Awesome descriptions there, and certainly broadens the scope of missions. Straight to the designers with this.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

/me enjoys the fish-cookie!

Thanks Cosmik, I hope they enjoy the ideas (and some of the jokes) as well as understand what we're talking about. Specifically that the Devs have already put the rules and systems into place in this game to make these types of missions.

Originally posted by LostBoyJim
    Ok, thus far we have focused on "Stereotypical" skills needed to do such and such. With a team mission with 6 people, regardless of the professions, perhaps you should be just generally "expected" to be able to do some things. Or maybe on a mission some "random" needs will be expected. Needs like:

Have a decent perception...what if you have SOME monsters with a 0 spot hidden but were ACE level. You MUST MUST MUST use a tool to spot them and sneak them.

Be able to open locked doors and chests (assumed now)

Be able to kill things without dying (assumed now).

Be able to heal massive damage/nano quickly (assumed now).

Be able to fix broken things (MechE/EE).

Be able to climb something (i.e. adventuring > 100)

Be able to break down a door (i.e. brawl > 200)

Be able to swim across a stream.

And as a special bonus to all those OEers out there:

Be able to remove armor to put on special, one-use, "Mission garb" -- to blend in.

Be able to remove your weapons to equip a special, one-use, "gun-of-destroy-mission-objective".

I've kind of gotton off-topic. The goal here was to have missions with "cool things" in them that would require no new development, only use of exiting skills/items.

Bleys
    WOW all of that is kick butt! The Mission Garb (disguise) is great!

I like how as we go on the ideas just get more and more varied and interesting! Heh I just started with Trade Skills, here we are at people being turned into leets to get through tunnels, and Mission Disguises you have to wear to finish the mission!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast