Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dream mission...

Beautiful. I... love you guys. So, uh... like... this Buds for youse.

Just once though, I'd like to be accepting a mission to protect Lawrence Stytch and prevent Omni-Tek observation while he is setting up a "hive" or "nest" or whatever you call it in Lush Fields -- while your character is accepting a mission to "live" with him for some time. I'd like to be that Novice Thug you discover in the last room with him. Hope you didn't dupe a key for your buddy 'else I'm a might bit muddled.

Shorter mission times would be a plus here... I wouldn't wait there eight hours of course, but then just have Omni mobs wander in from time to time? I'm too tired to go on much, but I LIKE the idea that I might not finish my mission to protect Lawrence Stytch because you walked in and made a mess of my carcass when you were finished producing it (or I might laugh my Got Back? off when I pasted *you*).

I'd rather run with you than a bot, I'd rather fight you than a mob. Wish it were practical.

<--- Shameless *

*Ahem*... "Bump".

Keep forgetting that darned bump deal 'till a while after me post...
    Funny, that.

Love,
    Josh

Goodnight.

Originally posted by Trosida
    Unfortunately, NT stuff would require massive changing of the rules to help ungimp you guys... I was trying to stick with things in the game but if you like...

NT- This is a *DEMOLITIONS* mission!

Engy- Ok what do we do...

NT- Well little engy you don't get to come along, its just me and 5 other NTs armed with actual functioning NUKES and we go blow the living SNOT out of the target, over and over again. Then we dance around naked chanting in leet... 'w3 0wnzd j00!'

(Engy backs away slowly as the NTs laugh maniacally at their regained power.)

Really though I'm not that familiar with NTs but I hear there is a plight of being gimped at the moment, a shame too, you guys are NUKERS or at least should be. I wouldn't begrudge that at all.
    Holy sh1t that was funny!!!
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

Re: Re: Dream mission...

Originally posted by Turin

Great idea!!!! I do however see a couple flaws in it. first of all. This setup would REQUIRE an Eni, and a fixer. I assume you play one of those calss's and want to make yourself more desireable in a group. ( fixers need it ) However, wouldnt it be an Agents job to disable the alarm? well, Agent or fixer, either one. So if you didnt have one of those in your group, your screwed, you et off the alarm, and then you have 30 adds in main room and an un-doable mission.

Second. Say that you have passed the alarm, and hit that locked door you needed the nano pylon and paste. You warp back to Tir or Omni-1 to get it. You have no Engi in the group though, so he CANT warp you back. Now you have to hop in your plane to get back to Southern Foul Hills or The Longest Road or something like that. 30 minutes go by, the rest of the team waits for said fixer to get back with parts. That sounds like no fun at all waiting 40 minutes just for a locked door.

I have to say though, the idea is GREAT. just needs some refinement.

Flamer scum!!!!! Get out of this holy thread!!!
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

Originally posted by PipBoy
    Very nice ideas.

Unfortuneately, Funcom has decided that, despite it being obviously possible, that they will NEVER do this. Why, because Gaute said so.

Where did he says that? I must have missed that post.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Re: Re: Dream mission...

Great idea!!!! I do however see a couple flaws in it. first of all. This setup would REQUIRE an Eni, and a fixer. I assume you play one of those calss's and want to make yourself more desireable in a group. ( fixers need it ) However, wouldnt it be an Agents job to disable the alarm? well, Agent or fixer, either one. So if you didnt have one of those in your group, your screwed, you et off the alarm, and then you have 30 adds in main room and an un-doable mission.

Second. Say that you have passed the alarm, and hit that locked door you needed the nano pylon and paste. You warp back to Tir or Omni-1 to get it. You have no Engi in the group though, so he CANT warp you back. Now you have to hop in your plane to get back to Southern Foul Hills or The Longest Road or something like that. 30 minutes go by, the rest of the team waits for said fixer to get back with parts. That sounds like no fun at all waiting 40 minutes just for a locked door.

I have to say though, the idea is GREAT. just needs some refinement.
    Yes, I did say I wrote for classes I knew specifically, but... I think it would be a good idea to make a variety of puzzle type things for missions that are appropriate to each proffession (yes there should be some overlap). Then in mission selection for teams, add a section to include proffession specific puzzles and what proffessions you want included.

So let's say you have an agent in your group you could select AGENT based puzzles, so that one or two would appear (would require a False Proffession, or better yet, False Alignment). If you selected MP same deal. The best being you select for each Prof in your group.

The travel time is meaningful. You mention that people would have to wait around... well... that becomes a crucial factor because along with this would be dramatically reduced mission times.

But above all, they are just examples of implementation, just ideas to get the imagination flowing and to describe how current rules can be used to add these sorts of things.

I did say I only wrote about a few classes, but please if you have some kick butt ideas for the other professions post on up here! I'd love to get to know some of the other proffs better!

(oh and bump)
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

Transcript of CHAR_CRE_29 sound in the AO character creation sequence.

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

I think you missed the point of that mission, Turin. The point is that the mission terminal would detect which professions are in the group, and would tailor the mission appropriately. As such, if you have a Trader, or an Engie, then there might be tradeskill requirements in the mission. If you have a Fixer, then there might be grid aspects.

However, the idea of warping back is not flawed because it is Engineer specific, it is flawed because it assumes that the engineer has already acquired Beacon Warp, which happens to not be sold in stores. THAT is not a reasonable assumption. These kinds of missions should generate the mission based on skills that are common to almost all of that particular profession. That means, if you hvae an Agent, it would add something that might require False Profession or stealth in some way. If you have a Fixer, it would require someone with Grid Warp abilities and Breaking and Entering skill. If you have an Engineer or Trader, it would require tradeskills for something. A Doctor in the group might mean that someone requires medical assistance, or possibly some pharma skills are needed (e.g. some sort of vaccine needs to be created to a deadly virus).

Also, it SHOULD be possible to fail a mission besides simply deleting it. Currently, all missions are really Enforcer/Soldier/MA missions. They are all pure combat. The worst part is, when someone decides they want to try to use a class defining trait to complete a mission, e.g. agents sneaking through missions without fighting, they nerf it! They WANT everyone to have to fight, even though many classes are clearly not meant to do so.

The biggest reason why Funcom will never implement profession based missions is because it would make Anarchy Online different. It would set AO apart and above all other games. Funcom doesn't want that. Funcom wants AO to become a pure cookie cutter MMORPG like EQ. They want everyone to sit around either camping or running the level treadmill. They want everyone to spend hours on end either sitting waiting for a mob to spawn or sitting for days straight to gain 1 level. They don't want to give people something that would be fun and challenging at ALL levels. Something that would always give them something new to do. Something that would require REAL teamwork. No, they want AO to be all about camping and combat.
    Last edited by PipBoy; Apr 16th, 2002 at 18:11:13.

Where did he says that? I must have missed that post.
    Gaute said it when he explained some of the things that were taken off of the Envisioned list. That included profession specific missions.

Agents in missions

"Great idea!!!! I do however see a couple flaws in it. first of all. This setup would REQUIRE an Eni, and a fixer." -- Turin

Well, Turin some ideas that would benifit agents would be a sneak in and get something/kill someone. etc. This would be where you would get experience for every person you snuck by that did not notice you. The moment some one notices you, you fail the mission. If it is a kill person mission, the person would be (like now) a named person and likely by himself.

This idea, unlike most of the ideas in the thread would include adding a system for the experience I mentioned but it's not hard.
    It would simply be a flag that is toggled everytime you successfully sneak past a critter.

As for whose best at getting through alarms systems that would be the Fixer cause the B&E skill is green for fixers and blue green for agents. That does not, however, mean that an agent can not be substituted for fixers in many cases. They are both sneaky classes and the assume profession nano would allow an agent to fill almost anyone's shoes.

One could also have an agent mission requirement would be to use the false rpfession to solve the puzzle. I can't think of any specific ideas but it represents an agents ability to be taken for anything so maybe the agent would have to click on the named guy with a false prfession running. (He thinks you are an engie for example and will only give the info to an engie.)

So, there a lot of things that could be done to ****e up missions and many of them simply require adding new items like hackable turrets, camera, doors that require something to fix them, npcs that need to have a pill given to them, etc.

And, I hope FunCom reads this thread and realizes that this is something that a number of people want.
    Yureiko

Level 74 Fixer

"You've been adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience," - Cobra Bubbles

"There are computer games that handle the Fixer type character really well. AO is not one of them.

Check out Uplink, System Shock II and Project Eden for a truly engaging Fixer Fix."

Also, it SHOULD be possible to fail a mission besides simply deleting it. Currently, all missions are really Enforcer/Soldier/MA missions. They are all pure combat. The worst part is, when someone decides they want to try to use a class defining trait to complete a mission, e.g. agents sneaking through missions without fighting, they nerf it! They WANT everyone to have to fight, even though many classes are clearly not meant to do so.

The biggest reason why Funcom will never implement profession based missions is because it would make Anarchy Online different. It would set AO apart and above all other games. Funcom doesn't want that. Funcom wants AO to become a pure cookie cutter MMORPG like EQ. They want everyone to sit around either camping or running the level treadmill. They want everyone to spend hours on end either sitting waiting for a mob to spawn or sitting for days straight to gain 1 level. They don't want to give people something that would be fun and challenging at ALL levels. Something that would always give them something new to do. Something that would require REAL teamwork. No, they want AO to be all about camping and combat.
    An excellent statement as to the current state of affairs. A true shame too, because whether they realize it or not, they (FC) have put in the tools necessary to make this game reach what they had originally 'envisioned' it as, long ago in a game far away. Perhaps that's what is the most maddening, the ability to make profession specific missions *is right there, in front of their eyes* and Gaute, et al, has said "Nope we're not going to do that."

One has to ask, "Why not?"

The only answer is, "It would take valuable time to construct different puzzles for each proffession."

Answer: Do a few at a time, put them on test and have people really test them and try to break them.

Response: Only a few would become boring after you've done them a thousand times.

Answer: Can't be any worse than missions are now can it?

Response: Well we just don't WANT TO GOT IT!!!!

Answer: You're not the only game in town, and there are other games that are going to try this very thing. However, you were the ones to originally state you wanted to do this... it's there it can begin small and scale up, you can put TEST to work the way it should be, but to not try it at all is the worst thing imaginable.

Either AO will rise up and become something better and unique in gaming, or it will be just another target practice game. As for becoming like EQ nothing is more evident than this insistance on static dungeons with uber mobs that drop uber loot. One thing that attacted me to this game (been here since beta) was that PLAYER CHARACTERS would have to BUILD or assemble the best gear in the game, there was no other way to get it. Of course, that idea is long forgotten along with profession based missions.

Again, my whole reason behind this thread, is to show Gaute and others at FC that if they perceive proffession based missions as too difficult to implement, then they are mistaken, all the tools are there. It just requires a little creativity. This creativity, I believe FC has based on what has happened so far. It is disturbing to see people shy away from a fundemental design because it is perceived as 'too difficult to implement'. That's short-sighted and really AO is better than that, or it could be.
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

This isn't just something peole would want. This is the type of thing people currently only DREAM of in a game. Currently, most people I know are turned off by MMORPGs not because you pay to play. But because you pay to play the same darn thing all the time. Profession specific missions like this would bring all of those people to AO because then you really would be able to play a whole new game every time you logged on. Plus, people wouldn't mind spending their entire evening on a mission if they were as interesting as we've described. I'm betting people would probably be willing to pay more just to get that kind of content.

This isn't just something peole would want. This is the type of thing people currently only DREAM of in a game. Currently, most people I know are turned off by MMORPGs not because you pay to play. But because you pay to play the same darn thing all the time. Profession specific missions like this would bring all of those people to AO because then you really would be able to play a whole new game every time you logged on. Plus, people wouldn't mind spending their entire evening on a mission if they were as interesting as we've described. I'm betting people would probably be willing to pay more just to get that kind of content.
    Even if it was just a few at a time... you know some patch notes that say...

"We've implemented a system that adds trade skill based puzzles to missions, if you choose to have this added to your mission select the button and be sure you have a good tradesman in your group."

So there's what maybe 8 different puzzles from the onset, those get tested, hopefully well received and then as the patches come they can add more and more until all the professions are covered (yes there would be overlap).

That is probably the best way to begin such a thing.

Also, I'll put my money where my mouth is; yes I WOULD pay more per month (as would my wife) to have a game evolving like this. If they want to seriously add content in the form of puzzles even if slightly repetative (ever play "Indiana Jones- Desktop Adventures"?) that would only grow with time, yeah I'd pay for that.

Re: Re: Re: Dream mission...

Originally posted by haniblecter

Flamer scum!!!!! Get out of this holy thread!!!

Huh? How was that a flame? I think its a GREAT IDEA! I dont understand how that is a flame. Just needs more ideas for class's when you ARENT going to have an Engy/Fixer combo available, or an Agent, or whatever. NT's as it was pointed out, havent got much they can contribute in this area. Unless you wanna say "Joe Smith the NPC is going to die if he doenst get a humidX cast on him in 1 hour due to nano bot depletion" or something like that.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Actually, there could be a particular thing that must be destroyed by using nanobots. That would require a nuker of some sort. It might be that you could have the thing regenerate very fast, and thus whoever is nuking must be able to deal a large amount of damage in a short amount of time. That way, you couldn't simply have a Doc or an Agent eat it away with a DoT. Those missions, although could also be fulfilled by a crat or MP, would be best completed by an NT because truthfully, they do really have the best nukes.

How about this? A mission where a particular NPC has been affected by a neural toxin which makes it immune to Suppression Gas. The NPC however may have some kind of valuable information which needs to be gained. Thus, you must pacify him with a mezz with doing as little damage as possible. Later, it might be necessary to interrogate the NPC to get the information. In order to interrogate the NPC, you must use DoTs as an "interrogation method" to get him to tell you what he knows.

NTs also have good nanoprogramming skill. It would be easy to implement a tradeskill aspect which requires nanoprogramming.

Keep in mind that all professions borrow from each other. This is a good thing. It means that no mission type would be limited purely to one class.

One thing that might aid in this would be the introduction of "quest nanos." These would be nano formulas which can are profession specific and the players only have them while the mission is active. These nanoformulas would also for the most part only be useful to the quest anyway, and would have no real application outside that particular mission. Here are some examples of "quest nanos" seperated by profession:

Fixer:
    Team grid warp internal grid system (warps the team to a seperate grid which is meant only for the mission)

Agent:
    False Identity (disguises the agent as someone else)

Doctor:
    Cure virus (cures a plague that may have escaped a med lab or something)

NT:
    Nanobomb (used to destroy a particular object which is only vulnerable to nanos)

MP:
    Nanomanipulation (used to modify a device's precoded nanoformula so that it achieves a task set forth in the mission)

Adventurer:
    Change Form: Special (morphs the Adv into a particular creature which has special abilities which are needed to complete the mission)

Soldier:
    Summon Big-Friggin-Gun (summons a weapon from the mission office which is needed to do damage to a particular mob or thing within the mission)

Enforcer:
    Last Stand (pulls all mobs in the area to aggro the Enforcer, at the same time, it adds a ridiculous number of hitpoints to the enforcer and enhances his combat abilities. However, most likely it would act something like Nullity in that it should also probably root the Enforcer or at least slow him down)

Crat:
    Convert allignment (sways a key NPC to your side. Not to be confused with charm. This does not give you control of the NPC, it instead makes them a permanent ally which is NOT controlled by any team member)

Engineer:
    Build Device (used to create a device needed for completion of the mission. Might have an obscene casting time or possibly need an activation tradeskill item to be used which can only be found once inside the mission)

MA:
    Death Blow (used to strike an otherwise invincible oponent and remove its defenses, thus making it now vulnerable to attack)

Trader:
    Drain Knowledge (used on an NPC to steal particular pieces of information and knowledge of a certain area and gives this knowledge to the Trader)

These are just some examples. I'm not sure if I left any profession out, if I did I appologize. Also, there could be many many different quest nanos possibe to each profession, as well as some that should be available to multiple professions.

Excellent

ideas and suggestions all around! Keep em going, see what you can make from tools already in the game too. Especially if you have experience with NT, MPs, etc.

Which mission booth is giving out these missions?

No seriously, fantastic thread with loads of great ideas. Keep up the good work - I'm all for it.
    edict
    Clan Archdeacon

"Nothing worth while is ever easy"

Thumbs up oh yeah

FunCom are you reading this thread???

Bump.

Cool (bump)

I certainly hope someone from FC has read this thread, many great ideas in it!

More ideas!

(No, I don't have any right now. Maybe later after caffeine.)
    Yureiko

Level 74 Fixer

"You've been adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience," - Cobra Bubbles

"There are computer games that handle the Fixer type character really well. AO is not one of them.

Check out Uplink, System Shock II and Project Eden for a truly engaging Fixer Fix."

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast