Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dream mission...

bump

A great thread, nothing just to add right now...just a bump cause it deserves it. Hello fc? anyone home? anyone listening?

Originally posted by Small
    Good thoughts and a good read. Things like this are not hard to incorporate into games and would stop AO sprialling into a "warriors and healers" type of game.

Funcom would need to improve QA though, because Trosida missed a profession from his mission selection box and all you other beta testers have missed us too
    I actually didn't read it that carefully... whoops! Poor adventurers... they're -always- left out!

Cool Patch for previous portion of thread!

Originally posted by Small
    Good thoughts and a good read. Things like this are not hard to incorporate into games and would stop AO sprialling into a "warriors and healers" type of game.

Funcom would need to improve QA though, because Trosida missed a profession from his mission selection box and all you other beta testers have missed us too
    Just to note it took me less than 24 hours to correct my bug!
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

Transcript of CHAR_CRE_29 sound in the AO character creation sequence.

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

Windrunner...

as to your remark, "Me'thinks Trosida needs a job with Funcom... "

me thinks Trosida's family doesn't want to move to Norawy (or where this game is based. Don't mind me I am geographically challanged. )

But keep up the good ideas everyone!
    Yureiko

Level 74 Fixer

"You've been adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience," - Cobra Bubbles

"There are computer games that handle the Fixer type character really well. AO is not one of them.

Check out Uplink, System Shock II and Project Eden for a truly engaging Fixer Fix."

Bumpage

The need for proffession based missions. People want em, they add to the game, they could be implemented without adding new rules to the game...

still silence...

Here's hoping!
    "The engineer profession is geared toward the creation of items and weapons. No profession beats engineers at creating robots to do the dirty work for them. An engineer may not be the strongest of all professions but makes a powerful opponent or ally by using gadgets and robot helpers."

"This post brought to you by TECHNOLOGY! Indistinguishable from magic since 1875."

Love the thread, but I don't think the idea of the Fixers going back for equipment will work. First off, why wouldn't everyone fill up their backpacks with all possible trade skill items. Second, but more important, I don't think the rest of the group would want to wait around while one member goes off and does their thing if it is going to take a while. I think everyone should keep that in mind while coming up with specific tasks for each profession. Think about what everyone else is going to be doing.

Some ideas
    • The items needed are volatile and are hard to transport. If you take damage while caring one there is a chance that it will explode killing the courier.
    • The items are very heavy and will reduce the run speed of the courier making it impossible to carry extras
    • Fixer can use their Summon nanos to bring items directly to party
    • Party must setup beacons that are necessary to transport sensitive items. The engineer must calibrate the beacons, which will take some time and unfortunately has the chance to alert roaming mobs. A defensible perimeter must be set up and guarded.
    • Security center must also be neutralized or else it will detect the beacon initialization process. It is too well guarded to allow for a direct frontal assault within the limited time available. The best course of action is to send an agent to sneak through the defenses to take out the operator (wimpy guy with few hitpoints or AC). Once the operator is taken out, the team will have limited time to transport the item before the operator’s death is discovered. A diversionary attack elsewhere can be used to clear the path for the agent.

I think the main points that Funcom should understand is that when you remove the restriction that every mob must be destroyed, a lot of possibilities open up.

Originally posted by Crin
    Love the thread, but I don't think the idea of the Fixers going back for equipment will work. First off, why wouldn't everyone fill up their backpacks with all possible trade skill items. Second, but more important, I don't think the rest of the group would want to wait around while one member goes off and does their thing if it is going to take a while. I think everyone should keep that in mind while coming up with specific tasks for each profession. Think about what everyone else is going to be doing.

Some ideas
    • The items needed are volatile and are hard to transport. If you take damage while caring one there is a chance that it will explode killing the courier.
    • The items are very heavy and will reduce the run speed of the courier making it impossible to carry extras
    • Fixer can use their Summon nanos to bring items directly to party
    • Party must setup beacons that are necessary to transport sensitive items. The engineer must calibrate the beacons, which will take some time and unfortunately has the chance to alert roaming mobs. A defensible perimeter must be set up and guarded.
    • Security center must also be neutralized or else it will detect the beacon initialization process. It is too well guarded to allow for a direct frontal assault within the limited time available. The best course of action is to send an agent to sneak through the defenses to take out the operator (wimpy guy with few hitpoints or AC). Once the operator is taken out, the team will have limited time to transport the item before the operator’s death is discovered. A diversionary attack elsewhere can be used to clear the path for the agent.

I think the main points that Funcom should understand is that when you remove the restriction that every mob must be destroyed, a lot of possibilities open up.
    I absolutely _love_ the fourth and fifth ideas!

Seriously, Funcom, listen up!!!

BUMP

Ohhh....
    /ME WANTS!!!

~Hotsy

helloooooo...

Funcom!!!

Serious bumpage here!
    Yureiko

Level 74 Fixer

"You've been adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience," - Cobra Bubbles

"There are computer games that handle the Fixer type character really well. AO is not one of them.

Check out Uplink, System Shock II and Project Eden for a truly engaging Fixer Fix."

Cool Little bumpage

Just a bump to remind Funcom that all the rules in this game can be applied in new ways to create interesting and different mission scenarios.

Trade-skill based puzzles.

Professions specific NPC : PC interactions

Tighter Time Limits

Better rewards since you won't get to clear these kinds of missions.

Profession based puzzles designed around the skills such professions have.

No need to add new rules, just use the ones already there!

Repair puzzles already exist (as a mission goal), just widen that and add a skill check.

Locked doors already exist, add in some security-type mobs that can be hacked before they 'sound the alarm'.

NPC targets in assassination missions could attempt to flee the mission site (if they do, mission fails).

Allow missions to FAIL, you want risk/reward there has to be the risk of failure. Mission failure does exist but only in a couple of types of missions that don't seem to be normally taken. It appears that the most commonly taken mission is the 'Find Item and Report on it' due to lame mission rewards overall.

Up the mission rewards, put in some trade/profession based puzzles, add in the chance to fail (through escaping targets, much tighter time limits, etc), give a few options to the players about what types of professions would be needed...

that would be a major step towards making this game what it was 'envisioned to be'.

Very nice ideas.

Unfortuneately, Funcom has decided that, despite it being obviously possible, that they will NEVER do this. Why, because Gaute said so.

I think it's time for them to reevaluate that decision and maybe look at the ideas that Tros has put forward. It doesn't look all that tough to implement. Maybe you Devs are just really really lazy.

baaaaaaaaa

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    Happy to see these proposals.
    *pray all known gods for this to happen*
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

No .. This is a team mission

Example:
    Your mission is to kill a NPC in OMNi trade.

For mission holders only for a limmited time the guards or NPC's you kill along the will give exp.. items.. whatever.
    These missions would have to be short. I can see lag issues and such but, still a neat concept.

In any event it's a break from BS home .RIGHT!!
    There truly is no place like HOME.

Bump

Bumping a thread FC people will never read let alone comment on or implement, but hey the ideas from everyone are great!

Hmm.. thread to far down..

BUMP!

Oh look what dropped let me...

bump it back up.

(Hoping to hear more ideas!)

Bump

Because even though they won't do it, I want Funcom to know how stupid they are for deciding arbitrarily not to do it.

Thumbs up

This is the best thread I've read in a long time! Excellent ideas, Trosida! Endless opportunities by using what we've already got.

Now, if only Cz or Cosmik would please forward this to those responsible in FC. This is by far the Most Constructive Thread of The Month(tm).

Cheers,
    Scipio.

Re: Dream mission...

Originally posted by Trosida
    (Names have been changed to make it followable)

Soldier: Ok guys we got exactly 1 hour and 30 minutes to do this mission!

Fixer: Why so short?

Soldier: It's a rescue operation, and the target dies in that time. The reward is much better than a normal mission, but we can't clear the location. We have to get in, get to target and get him out.

(Everyone into vehicles and speed buffed)

(At the site)

Nano Technician: Main room is empty except for one mob.

Fixer: Is that mob moving?

NT: Nope

Fixer: Everyone stay away from the door, that's an alarm probe. It won't attack, but if it aggros onto anyone it will call every mob in the mission, on this floor, to us. Also, the mission will be a failure.

Soldier: What do we do?

Fixer: We don't do anything. *I* go in cloaked and use a hacking tool on it. If I'm successful, the probe is neutralized, it won't alarm, for 2 minutes. Then you all destroy it in that time. It has a lot of hit points and high armor so make it good!

(Later)

Fixer: This door isn't locked, or trapped.

Engineer: Still broken, let me in there and see what's up... Using my analysis gadget on it, I can see it needs a nano pylon, and 2x nano paste.

Fixer: I'll grid back and get those, then warp me back.

Doctor: Mission timer shows were down to 30 minutes.

Soldier: Mobs on the move team we'll be cornered in this room.

(Fire fight ensues; Fixer grids out, is warped back by the time the fight is over.)

Engineer: I successfully combined the nano pylon and paste, required some pretty high trade skills (good exp though), and that should restore the door.

Fixer: Still locked let me crack it.

(Last room)

Soldier: Buff up guys the target is in that room. We have to get in, and keep the target from getting killed, then heal the target to full. Doc are you ready?

Doc: Ready.

Crat: I'm in first, I'll calm them. That should buy us some time.

(Team enters last room, most mobs are calmed some attack. Big fire fight, Doc heads to wounded target and begins casting heals (many hit points to heal)... massive team work ensues)

Soldier: Complete!

Others: Had to blaze through that mission, but *dang* the monetary reward was worth it as were the tokens and a nice item to boot!

This message brought to you by the United Omni-Clan-Tek Alliance for seriously kick butt missions!

Great idea!!!! I do however see a couple flaws in it. first of all. This setup would REQUIRE an Eni, and a fixer. I assume you play one of those calss's and want to make yourself more desireable in a group. ( fixers need it ) However, wouldnt it be an Agents job to disable the alarm? well, Agent or fixer, either one. So if you didnt have one of those in your group, your screwed, you et off the alarm, and then you have 30 adds in main room and an un-doable mission.

Second. Say that you have passed the alarm, and hit that locked door you needed the nano pylon and paste. You warp back to Tir or Omni-1 to get it. You have no Engi in the group though, so he CANT warp you back. Now you have to hop in your plane to get back to Southern Foul Hills or The Longest Road or something like that. 30 minutes go by, the rest of the team waits for said fixer to get back with parts. That sounds like no fun at all waiting 40 minutes just for a locked door.

I have to say though, the idea is GREAT. just needs some refinement.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast