Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dream mission...

How bout adventures get some new map reader nanos (to be used on teh world map) so only they can find certain missions and the rest of the team have to follow.

I thought of another way to spruce up missions, even if it doesn't actually make them better.

Interface rooms. Right now mission areas are somewhat homogenous. If the walls are round in one area, they're round in all areas. Even when you step into a cavern, the doors match up to round areas on both sides. Have a room that is intentionally room on one side and cavern on the other. Try to have one for each distinct pairing of mission environments. Have the generator use these rooms to mix and match mission area styles.

Maybe a bunker that butts up agains the remains of a mine for instance.

As the starter of this thread insinuated, put a mission area IN the grid. Maybe three, one on each level. The whole mission would be under grid rules. No casting of fresh nano's, pyrimid body, etc.

Build some better rules for room ordering. A bathroom can connect to anything, but should there really be a boardroom next to a power plant, next to a supply room? Perhaps if the mission is in a wrecked transport, to use one example, the layout and rooms should better reflect the things original purpose as a vehicle that flew through space. Cockpit in "front", storage down both sides, engine room in the back.

Of course, when it comes right down to it, I'd rather FC focus on expanding missions themselves than revamp the mission area generator in any way.

Making the walls materially transparent from the backside would be nice though.

Trader: OK Team, we have 2 hours for this mission.

Soldier: What do we have to do?

Trader: We head for Omni1 Trade, find a busy area and I open this suitcase of slightly used carbon rods and start shouting about my new cure all device, made by monks on some mountain somewhere.

Soldier: Errr

Trader: Then you all gather round and start shouting that you want one, but I hold you all back saying there are only a few, then you Soldier hobble up all bent over and claiming you have broken your back. I wave the device over you a few times and you run off shouting its a miracle!

Then the crowds of passers by join in wanting one, and we make a mint!

<Cue Only Fools And Horses theme tune>
    C.M.O.T. Raymote - Loyal (They pay better) OmniTek Trader
    Omni-ECPCS

Rimmer: After intensive investigation, comma, of the markings on the alien pod, comma, it has become clear, comma, to me, comma, that we are dealing, comma, with a species of awesome intellect, colon.
    Holly: Good. Perhaps they might be able to give you a hand with your punctuation.

This thread has finally died.

Funcom isn't going to implement any of this, and we all know it. I've decided against selling my account because I don't want Funcom to make any more money from it. So instead it's just simply been cancelled and left to rot.

So long and thanks for all the fish. Account expires on the 20th.

Originally posted by PipSlag (aka PipBoy)
    This thread has finally died.
    Then it needs a bump
    RETIRED:Cassondra "Hotsy" Magistrale, Proud General of OPEC
    And a gazillion other chars

Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch
    Bureaucrats, Broken as intended
    Chilled:The crat community.. bitter but entirely supportive, kind of like coffee.
    P.S. i didn't proof read this, or check for spelling, I wouldn't want to Nerf my post by actually Fixing the problems.

This post is fucntioning "As Intended" that means i don't have to fix any problems with it. (Snipped from pooncrat).

Did someone say bump?

This is an AWESOME thread...ROOT ROOT ROOT!
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Originally posted by MissMaul
    Did someone say bump?

This is an AWESOME thread...ROOT ROOT ROOT!
    I second that statement

Chilled:The crat community.. bitter but entirely supportive, kind of like coffee.
    P.S. i didn't proof read this, or check for spelling, I wouldn't want to Nerf my post by actually Fixing the problems.

This post is fucntioning "As Intended" that means i don't have to fix any problems with it. (Snipped from pooncrat).

Thumbs up Spread the word!

Posted to support@funcom

Anyone else done this?

Spreading the word as much as possible

Forwarded to Cz

The more people know about this, and our feelings regarding these ideas, the better!

Just FYI, Cosmik sticky'd and forwarded to the devs quite some time ago. Still, it is one of the very best threads here. Everybody should read it.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

You swine!!! :-)

I found this on Sunday, around midnight, and was ready to head to bed, just reading up before calling it a night.

At 3am, I finally crawled to bed, cursing the fact that I had work the next day and my head swimming with ideas and gobsmacked at the sheer quality of the post and ideas Trosida put forth.

Three bloody hours to read, and I only managed up to page 8 even then!

All I can say is that since this was started in April, and the nonsense FC has proposed so far, they need their arses kicked good and hard. Much better and easier to implement than the booster pack, or for that matter Shadowlands.

When you think of all the chances FC has had to digest and implement these ideas thru patches, it makes you wonder what the hell they're playing at.

Trosida, next time, don't wait until you're bored in the lab, sit down and start writing when you have the time at home!!!

Then we'll be in for another treat, I'm sure.

Excellent, excellent post, in fact the best thing I've ever read on these forums.

Originally posted by DaveDread
    Just FYI, Cosmik sticky'd and forwarded to the devs quite some time ago.
    Yeah, I remember that, Dave. Seems quite early on in the thread though, so I figured a little more prodding won't hurt, since these ideas are just so right for AO and what it needs to make it interesting.

And you're right - this thread should be compulsive reading for everyone reading the forums. :-)

Re: You swine!!! :-)

Originally posted by Bradleystoke
    Excellent, excellent post, in fact the best thing I've ever read on these forums.

I agree, and I hope that some day, in some game we can do great missions like this

Why hasn't this thread been rooted yet?

Is there something we've missed, or some arcane requirement yet to be fulfilled?

This thread is full of exceptional ideas and good reasoning... why has no-one at FC responded to this since April 18th!?

Get real, FC, root this thread, or does it make you look even less competent/indifferent than you've already proven?

Aye, it should be restickyed. One of the few threads that really deserve it.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Arrgghh.... too tired to give any suggestions right now, but still working on it.

FWIW, there is an excellent book called Game Architecture and Design by Andrew Rollings and Dave Morris (Coriolis ISBN 1-57610-425-7) $49.99. If anyone has an inclining of interest on this subject, you can't go wrong buying this book.

That goes for the people at Funcom as well, because they seem to be ignoring some of the most obvious issues when it comes to games design.

hmm... what am I doing here?
    ah.. writing so this one gets another bump

*Bump*
    I quested all the way to Penumbra, and I didn't even get a lousy t-shirt.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast