Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We do this why again?

Originally posted by Nevver
    I don't care what you people do after we're done here, but in the mean time, you're all trespassing as far as I'm concerned.
    Okay, this will take me away from trying to get the rhinomen to understand basic scientific rules (they are quite inadept at even the simplest rules of gravity...) to say that you my dear Nevver, are far more wrong than you could possibly think. Atroxes, Opifexes and the Nanobreed were all manufactured for Omni-Tek's own monetary gain. Hence them being on the surface is not them trespassing, it is them walking on the face of their homeplanet. They have never been anywhere else than here, if anything it is the SOlitus breed that is trespassing.

A shattering of glass and upon turning around the Rhino female helping scrapes the broken testtubes under the rug with red cheeks.

God... another test gone poof...
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.

The Nanomage condition is not a disease! It is a highly advanced atunement to the mystical element notum. It is a special relationship that can be used for the betterment of all human species and all civillizations in the galaxy if treated right. I do however support "space suit" type technological solutions to allow Nanomages off planet.
    I said that I know of a team that is looking at the nanomage condition as curable. The parallel to diabetes was that the disease itself never went away, but those who had it were given a form of permanent relief from its effects. To that end, it was seen as cured, where it was more of a pacemaker type arrangement and one of the precursors of nanotechnology.

The "space suit" idea is a general direction, but the team I am on is looking at a permanent solution that can be implanted much like the ancient solitus heart control devices were. We are currently testing a catalyzed decay system that releases notum at the atomic level in regulated amounts. Our thinking is that equipped with such a device, the nanomage will be basically grafted to a source of notum forever.

Current issues include stability with the catalyst, various atomic decay issues to resolve and while maintaining maximum efficiency of the device so that it requires very little notum to operate for decades. We are also delayed by the fact that we need to build a testing environment for the device. This is no small task, since complete removal of notum from the air of Rubi Ka requires a pretty serious time investment in gas processing and vacuum chamber technology. And we are not being officially funded by Omni currently, although we are reaching a stage where they are paying some attention (see below).

Our goal is that one SU of notum should have a life expectancy in the system of roughly 20 years. Currently, we are seeing extrapolated rates of decay that indicate 6-11 years, with a standard deviation in period that is entirely too high. We will release findings when we have reached 15 years decay rate with a 5% standard deviation of period. From all current signs, I would look for that on the public comm grid in roughly 3 to 6 months.

I am quite pleased with our progress, which must be receiving notice, considering the amount of extra comms I am receiving from various Omni administrators of late. Of note, I am certain that Omni Tek will keep the design proprietary, as it with their facilities and research tools that we are doing our work, thus giving them inherent licensing rights. When we get to a point where our research can go public, we will attempt to broker the best deal so that Rubi Ka can benefit as a whole, while allowing OT to retain a percentage to recoup any expenses incurred. In this matter, Omni seems to understand that the fairer they are, the better it will be simply because too many other groups are working on the same problem and heavy handedness would ultimately be a bad thing for the corporation's ability to see a profit from this idea.

As it stands, the device, its implantation and the cost of fuel should be roughly equal to one month's wages of a mid-level Omni worker. Not a bad deal considering it offers a lifetime of freedom.

Originally posted by Savoy
    I think you will find if you read my post carefully I hold warmongers on both sides equally accountable and contemptable. However I reserve my greatest contept for those Clans who play the victim card all the time and claim thier aggression is just the desperate act of a downtrodden people. This might have been true 200 years ago, but that bears little relation with the migthy and notum-rich Clans of today.

Savoy
    Here in my Sister lays the deepest rub. Although one claims to attack the “notum-rich Clans of today,” one seems to attack us all. As long as you maintain the “Us vs. Them” speak, Clan members will always be beasts of burden in Omni eyes.

We of the Clans are not perfect, but why is it so hard to see that we wish our cities to be clean and safe. Why is it wrong for the Clans to endeavor to be safe and strong and secure?

As long as Omni Elite thinks of the Clans as dirty, ignorant or less-than, we may never live together as cohabitants of this planet we call Rubi-Ka.

Please do not take this as a personal attack Sister, for many feel as you do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123