Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online to open new German server

Talking

Btw, how’s the Euro doing? We have completely reversed the idea of one currency here in America, 50 types of quarters are running around and we don't know what to do next...
    The 1 dollar bill is next up to be changed, however unlike the 100/50/20/10/5 changes that hit every 6 months or so, they're sitting on numero uno for a bit.

I've read various guesses and opinions and economic "expert" articles, and it sounds like they might be making it out of plastic with hologram foil and other such crap imbedded into it. The main idea was to get a high circulation bill that lasts more than 12-18 months on average. Washingtons don't last, but its not quite as bad as the pennies, which practically cost more to mint than they are worth.

Don't forget we won't see the last quarter until 2008 or so. I swear they just wanted people to hoard money to help boost the very low personal savings rate we have, and it seems to be working well, try finding the earlier quarters...its actually kinda hard sometimes lol. Every kiddie and oldtimer I see is collecting a damn set or three.

In about 15 minutes, all hell is going to break lose.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Originally posted by Angel2000
    Oh mr emphasis, how bout the dutch/french/belgian people???
    Credit cards arent as widely available there aswell, why in godsname make a european server where everyone speaks german??
    Isnt that abit hypocritical??

Arent the other european people allowed to have a better connection??
    Is this a german only thing??

Some advice to you : THINK before you say something.

Hmmmmmmmmm

I think u should ...

- read Mr.Horn´s post over carefully once more

- do a little math. How many ppl live in the netherlands ?
    /sarcasm on
    the german player base is almost larger then the whole NL population
    /sarcasm off

Sure, I dont know how many ppl from each country are playing AO.
    But I´d bet a box o´ Leets the german community is a lot larger than every other in europe.
    And, remember that Austrians speak german, too, as well as
    (most I guess, or at least all I know) Swiss people.
    So its just a natural thing that FC tries to get more cash by making
    it more attractive to play AO in their 2nd best market.
    Sure, the staff will be german, and (if I got that right) the GMs
    will be germans, too.
    But dont u think they will understand you if you /petition in english ?
    Of course there is a slight chance that the german players will talk german in chat,
    but if enough ppl from other european countries play on that server,
    it will soon be english again.

I met a ton of ppl that are german, like myself, and that don´t speak
    english good enough to really get deep into the game.
    They will have a huge benefit from having ARKs and GMs that are able to solve
    their (complicated) problems in their native language.

Sure, you have a right to be jealous now.
    I honestly understand that.
    But it´s a simple mass-related thing. If you pay, you get
    support. If you are a large number of ppl that pay, you
    get better support. Thats business.

And, not to forget it - name each a NL/F/B company that can do
    the same like gamigo.

-----------

One more thing:

We did a poll on our Guild´s Board to find out who wants to
    change servers - we are a german-speaking guild.
    In fact, noone REALLY thinks about abandoning his Chars on RK1.
    Some stated they might have a look, yes. I for sure won´t leave
    RK1, not for ping and certainly not for support.
    Hardestdrugs, Doctor, 220
    Tenderly, Enforcer, 215
    Adacta, Bureaucrat, 220
    Midshipman, Soldier, 216

A small, cute dog is called a doggy.
    A small, cute girl is called a girly.
    Now what do we call a small, cute Org ?

Why would you need a completely different server, with a new set of characters? Why not just add the german ARKs and GMs to the ordinary servers, and then they just check which language you type the petitions in?

Or is this about events? I can't say it would hurt to hold more events, and talk german at those held in the european timezones.
    *poof*

Angry Is this the official forum or not

This is a !damn !f... crap. There is some essential information 'out there' and I couldn't find it on this board. Isn't there an official AO tag at the top of this site, or what:
    Some clarification on the planned German Dimension
    General - 9:58 AM EST
    Cz posted the following info on the Community Representatives forum:

Just a few clarifications, for those I haven't spoken with in IRC and through e-mail already:

The servers for the German dimension will be located in the US, at the same place as the two current dimensions, not in Europe.

The dimension will be aimed at, but not limited to, German speaking players. Anybody will be able to log in on the dimension, as long as they have an open Anarchy Online account.

German players will not be forced to play on the German dimension. They are free to choose any dimension among the three.

There are no plans on allowing character transfers to the German dimension. That will have to wait for when we implement dimension travel for all dimensions.
    Found on AO Stratics.

Btw., there are people that don't do IRC.

For myself, this reduces the value of the new dimension even more - a German dimension with the horrible connection condition as RK1 and 2 - buhhh.

So long,

Max(imilian)

P.S. Probability of going there dropped to 0,01% - forget it folks.
    100% curious

OMG me thinks there is absoultly no sense, what ever is the technical director of funcom even thinking bout!!!!!

This is insane.

So in summary:
    98% say: hehe what a stupid idea to have seperate servers, why not do what they did similar with jap program support.

and the 2% that agree with this are funcom employees.
    Last edited by General Capo; Apr 19th, 2002 at 08:17:30.

???

The servers for the German dimension will be located in the US, at the same place as the two current dimensions, not in Europe.
    Eeeeeeh......okay, i am dropping out of this discussion now....German server is one thing, but when i read it is also going to be located in the US......<shakes head>

Let me guess now, same location as where RK1 and 2 are, same bandwidth and now with a 3th server next to it, ready to be stormed by thousands of German speaking people Well, that should be fun.....

Anyway, good luck with this server.
    Varviton,

Keeper of the Unredeemed.

Okay, seems like I was off by about 8 hours on that 15 min thing...
    *poof*

Bauxite: is this true? The dollar is changing? Being in the UK I am remote to anything going on over there

BTW.. KEEP THE POUND!
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

-> WGMelchior: No, you weren't. I counter checked the release times. But obviously nobody from the officials cared to inform the local board community about this 'irrelevant' details. (I wondered yesterday about your post and started searching - thanks for the hint)

FC at it's best - public relations. (It is a joke)

As stated before - I couldn't care less about the new server.

The only tiny (technical) advantage I could see: Germans could/would play during US non peak times, so the maybe the connectivity would be a bit better on this server. But my 6 month experience in AO tends to speak against this. In contrast, the ping rates usually get better, the later (CET) I play -> the more Americans (time zone) get on. But this is just my personal view.

See you on RK1.

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

Talking Newbie makes a comment

Ok guys now i tell you the truth about a german ao server.

- the german speaking mmrpg player base is rapidly growing, therefore has a high potential to attract new players to ao

- at the moment most of the german ao-players are "hardcore-onliner" (know several online-games, speak english well)

- the marketing campaign attract a lot of new players (like me)
    (7 days trial, client in one of the biggest german game mags, AND the option to pay without credit card)

- most of german players can speak and understand english more or less, but it is much more easier to talk in your native language,
    its only a hobby
    and for example my english is not so good that i can play rpg in english. For that reason the "not-hardcore-onliner" prefers a server with a lot of german speaking people and german support.

- no ressources from the "old" servers will be transfered to the new server, so why are you comlaining

--> more players, more money for funcom --> better game development

Me and my friends (all newbies, testing with the trial) waiting for the new german server, i hope it will be online soon

Quick deviation from the thread..

Milamber, are you a Feist fan? Your name reminds me of a character called Pug w00t!
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Well, there will be issues that only Funcom can take care of. They have to educate the new GMs on how things works, they have to set up the servers, they have to participate in patching, then have to do a lot of things. They can't just give them a CD and say good luck.

Why not just use the free space we have (RK-2 and to some extent, RK-1) for new players? And let the new GMs and ARK onto those servers, so they can actually ease the load where it's needed? Gamigo does rely on the success of Funcom, you know.
    *poof*

Milamber - I will look out for your post in 6/12 months time asking... Why are there so little people on RK-DE can I get a transfer to RK-1. plz plz plz.

And heh, still in shock about the news that the server will actualy BE in US rather than in germany...

There is this little fact that says: "The web is fast but IT IS NOT INSTANT!!!!". Who's idea was it to put those servers in the US?!
    The only "instant" thing there might be is: A: Gravity, and B: Magnetism. But I am a physics fan so most people don't know that.
    Even though I will never use these servers it's like watching someone run into the highway, they are gonna get hit and everyone except them knows it will happen. C'mon, you guys were smart enough to create a game this good but an German server in the US...... I must really suck at geography unless you guys want to lower the ping rate.

Heh, nothing is "instant". So backing up that "Might"
    If something were to be instant, then the energy required would actualy be the total of STqD. Which ultimatly does not exist. So a period has to be put to every event, 1 and 0.

/me goes back to making his fluxgate magnetometers and magnetic susceptibility systems.

Again, I bump that this is a really a bad idea.
    But then what company ever really does listen to customers?
    Last edited by General Capo; Apr 20th, 2002 at 06:22:48.

I just had a thought, and it requires an answer:

Would this move be ANY thing to do with the german company http://www.reakktor.com/ publishing http://www.neocron.com/ ??

They are releasing this game round about the same time as the DE servers go live are they not???

Originally posted by General Capo
    Heh, nothing is "instant". So backing up that "Might"
    If something were to be instant, then the energy required would actualy be the total of STqD. Which ultimatly does not exist. So a period has to be put to every event, 1 and 0.
    Ah! I can prove you wrong, gravity should be, within all reason, a constant. So that means it is most likely instant. Magnetism I am not 100% sure about, but it might be.
    But what about time? Did you remember that? Time IS constant and so it IS instant, show me one place in the entire universe that is in a separate time period then the rest.
    Time does determine if something is instant, and if it has a delay then tons of phenomenon would appear and the universe would literally be ripping itself apart and vanishing at rifts and breaking points. So "nothing is "instant"" doesn't hold up that well to this example.

I have no idea what STqD is, so you might want to explain the S, T, q, and D a bit if you wish to continue in that subject.

If you tie a weight to a string then spin it, then cut the rope the weight will fly away. This should server as a good model of gravity if the orbited object vanishes, which won't happen but it’s the first thing that came to my mind. When you cut the string the weight goes in a straight path as of when you cut it.
    If gravity was not instant the weight would still move in a circle until the force of gravity was no longer acting on the weight, then it would go in a straight line. But this does create a few other problems, what happens when half of the weight is still under the effect of the gravity and the other half is not? And how about the string? These problems can be solved since a balancing point can be found without too much difficulty, but the fact that only half of an object is under the effect of gravity does not make sense and I don't believe we have ever seen that happen.

Also, we have no idea how much energy it is possible to create, mini-black holes require, as I believe, about 100,000,000 GHz of energy, which we fall drastically short of. Cosmic (not you Cosmik, it’s a really long, really weird science thing which no one really knows anything about) strings also take an incredible amount of energy and gravity to produce, but what are they? They should be something that was created during the big bang, but that gives no explanation to how they were created, or what was taken to create them. Simply, they would be created from a twisting in time where forces compiled upon them to form them, but that does not make sense and tell us what they are made out of. And we really have no way to tell because time can go in whatever direction or at whatever speed it chooses without us knowing it (yes, we would not have any idea what is happening, do characters in a movie know what is happening as it is being fast-forwarded or rewound?). If a dimension past that of time as we see it is added, in which time goes at a constant speed, those strings could exist in that but nowhere else. So the first dimension of time would be in a first person view (ours), then the second would be in a third person view (the view of whoever is watching the video). Now this has become way too complex and I just hope I don’t start thinking about the three directional dimensions that we already have in this new sense, too late. This is really confusing yet I can’t take my mind off it…

Even with these two dimensions of time, time would still be a constant in each and every dimension that could be added onto that, it would just speed up or slow down a bit but it would still be there and have its instant affect everywhere.

And since we can create a great amount of energy if we destroy a bit of matter, how much energy would we be able to create if we destroyed a bit of time, which is infinite? It should be much more but I don’t believe we would have a way to destroy time, it would be like taking a year out of Earths history, but when it hits January 1st after the year that was removed everything should move a year ahead instantly, or would it just set the human race back a year and have us keep moving at our normal pace?
    I will just stop now and hope what I have said is not terribly confusing or just plain weird.
    Last edited by Maxtor 1-7; May 2nd, 2002 at 23:31:41.

Originally posted by Maxtor 1-7

Ah! I can prove you wrong, gravity should be, within all reason, a constant. So that means it is most likely instant. Magnetism I am not 100% sure about, but it might be.
    But what about time? Did you remember that? Time IS constant and so it IS instant, show me one place in the entire universe that is in a separate time period then the rest.
    Time does determine if something is instant, and if it has a delay then tons of phenomenon would appear and the universe would literally be ripping itself apart and vanishing at rifts and breaking points. So "nothing is "instant"" doesn't hold up that well to this example.

I have no idea what STqD is, so you might want to explain the S, T, q, and D a bit if you wish to continue in that subject.

If you tie a weight to a string then spin it, then cut the rope the weight will fly away. This should server as a good model of gravity if the orbited object vanishes, which won't happen but it’s the first thing that came to my mind. When you cut the string the weight goes in a straight path as of when you cut it.
    If gravity was not instant the weight would still move in a circle until the force of gravity was no longer acting on the weight, then it would go in a straight line. But this does create a few other problems, what happens when half of the weight is still under the effect of the gravity and the other half is not? And how about the string? These problems can be solved since a balancing point can be found without too much difficulty, but the fact that only half of an object is under the effect of gravity does not make sense and I don't believe we have ever seen that happen.

Also, we have no idea how much energy it is possible to create, mini-black holes require, as I believe, about 100,000,000 GHz of energy, which we fall drastically short of. Cosmic (not you Cosmik, it’s a really long, really weird science thing which no one really knows anything about) strings also take an incredible amount of energy and gravity to produce, but what are they? They should be something that was created during the big bang, but that gives no explanation to how they were created, or what was taken to create them. Simply, they would be created from a twisting in time where forces compiled upon them to form them, but that does not make sense and tell us what they are made out of. And we really have no way to tell because time can go in whatever direction or at whatever speed it chooses without us knowing it (yes, we would not have any idea what is happening, do characters in a movie know what is happening as it is being fast-forwarded or rewound?). If a dimension past that of time as we see it is added, in which time goes at a constant speed, those strings could exist in that but nowhere else. So the first dimension of time would be in a first person view (ours), then the second would be in a third person view (the view of whoever is watching the video). Now this has become way too complex and I just hope I don’t start thinking about the three directional dimensions that we already have in this new sense, too late. This is really confusing yet I can’t take my mind off it…

Even with these two dimensions of time, time would still be a constant in each and every dimension that could be added onto that, it would just speed up or slow down a bit but it would still be there and have its instant affect everywhere.

And since we can create a great amount of energy if we destroy a bit of matter, how much energy would we be able to create if we destroyed a bit of time, which is infinite? It should be much more but I don’t believe we would have a way to destroy time, it would be like taking a year out of Earths history, but when it hits January 1st after the year that was removed everything should move a year ahead instantly, or would it just set the human race back a year and have us keep moving at our normal pace?
    I will just stop now and hope what I have said is not terribly confusing or just plain weird.

O yeah: I hereby claim all rights and ownership to the ideas and thought previously stated in this thread including but not limited to a second dimension of time, as long as they have not been previously claimed by other parties in which that event was not known.
    -Hey, Isaac Newton had a huge battle with Gottfried Leibniz over who had the rights to calculus, which Newton didn’t even win fairly. In the off chance that I am correct in anything I said I want it to remain my idea.
    Heh, you bite waaaaay to easy, I made all that mumbo-jumbo up.

Man, get a life. - It's to late for me to get one, heh prehaps it can be bought off of ebay?

/me is su****ious of people who talk like this in forums, why ain't they at MiT if they know so much?
    /me also thinks it's a funcom plot to divert attention away from the subject, because those flames don't just tickle. Do they FC?
    Last edited by General Capo; Apr 20th, 2002 at 08:58:22.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast