Thread: The Dark Mine (Halloween Story)

The Dark Mine (Halloween Story)

Greetings,

Well here is a Halloween story I made up. It doesn’t really relate to anyone in-game. Just a horror story for fun. I haven’t written a horror story before so not sure how scary it is hehe. Don’t let the length discourage you, the ending is interesting….well I think it is.

Hopefully the format isn't too messed up.

Comment if you want.

Here it is:

The suns shown brightly down over Clon****, illuminating all that could be seen. The tall trees moved slightly as the cool October breeze brushed by. Brilliant colors of pink and blue appeared on the ground, a magnificent shadow for the large and beautiful flowers. James cautiously walked between the flowers, turning his head back and forth, “Sam?....Sam where did you go?....Sam?!” James yelled out, his words echoed over the rolling green hills. He started walking fast, between the flowers, searching. He stopped, when he heard a rustle in the group of flowers next to him. “Sam…is…is that you?” James creped closer towards the pink flower in front of him. He tried to see around the large pedals. But just then, a being jump out of a blue flower on his right, sending James screaming onto the ground.

Samantha stood their laughing, barely able to breath.
    “Dam it Sam…why did you do that?” James said as he picked himself up.
    “Because it’s easy to scare you Jimmy…it’s near Halloween after all.” Sam said as she whipped a tear.
    James sighed, “I knew I should have just stayed in Rome…”
    Samantha frowned, “You rather read your books on nuts and blots…robotic intelligence…and, and errr notum…induced…power supplying...unit…thing.”
    “No I like to stay in the comfort of Rome.”
    Samantha frowned again, “Bah you aren’t any fun sometimes Jimmy. Comfort of Rome? It’s a city…noisy, crowded…I like it out here. Just look…these flowers. You can’t find this in Rome. That’s why I love hiking around, to get away.”
    James shrugged and they continued on their hike. Samantha stopped everywhere to look at the flowers and trees. “OH look! A leet” Samantha yelled as she went chasing after it.
    “So what…its just a leet.” James yelled out to Samantha who was running around after the leet. “Sometimes I wonder about her…sanity” James muttered. James watched Samantha climb a tree. She started waving at him to come over.
    “What Sam?” James asked as he neared her.
    “Look over there.” Sam pointed towards several hills with smoke coming out of them.
    “What? That? That’s just the pipeline for the mines.”
    “NO not that, the cliff….oh come on” Samantha jumped down and grabbed James by the hand. She ran towards the cliff side.

“HA look.” Samantha said with excitement. James looked to see an opening to a cave. It was a rather large opening, could fit four or five people across. But the most obvious about this opening was not the size but what was on it. Going up and down all across the opening was metal bars. In the middle was a large sign which stated: Restricted Omni-Mining Property No unauthorized personnel Permitted. Beyond the entrance sounds could be heard, machines, hammers, ground transports all heard in the distance.
    “What is this place?” Samantha asked.
    “Its obvious…it is a Notum Mine.”
    “Wow really? I never seen one before…lets go in”
    James looked shocked, “Have you gone mad Sam? You can’t go in their. Look it says no unauthorized personnel permitted. We aren’t authorized, so we can’t go in their. Besides its gated off.”
    Samantha moved towards the gates. She shook a few rusty bars until they broke off. Samantha smiled, “No more bars…lets go!” James pulled Sam backed.
    “No way….you know the law Sam. They will shoot at us.”
    “So? We just got our insurance. If we die, we will end up in the “comfort of Rome.” Besides we are both young 20 year olds…I bet we can out run any of those old hags in their.”
    “I don’t want to die in any case. I rather keep my original body….oh look some more leets over there.” James pointed out towards the horizon.
    Sam didn’t even look; she was fascinated on her chance to go inside a real Notum Mine. “Come on Jimmy, we got to go in. It’s too cool. I hear Omni-Mining uses robots to do their mining….don’t you want to see their sophisticated robots Jimmy? Oh come on I know you will love it…just think we can even get free notum…I am going in.” Samantha started moving past the small opening she made.
    “Sam….Sam come back here.” James looked around at the quiet landscape. “Sam you don’t even have a flashlight….bah…wait for me.” James started moving between the bars. He walked down the tunnel into the darkness. The sunlight shown brightly through the small cave opening, creating waves of sunlight glimmering across the tunnel walls. James hesitantly continued down the tunnel into the darkness Sam entered.

James continued down the tunnel. It was dark and cool, the air was compact but it seemed clean. James looked above at the tunnels ceiling when he tripped on some rocks falling down. Out of no where Sam appeared, scaring James.
    “Dam it Sam, this is not the place to do that.”
    “Pull your self together and come on…”
    She led him to the end of the tunnel. Lights were seen and sounds of the busy mine were heard. A disgruntled sound was heard to their right. Sam pulled James back to hide behind a jagged rock wall. Two large males appeared. “They must be atroxs.” James whispered. The atroxs wore black worker cloths, and were not the cleanest they could be. They had a tough, strong willed look and huge muscles that proclaims, “don’t mess with me.” There were two of them, each carrying a large crate. They walked over to a little man knelt down near some machinery near James and Sam.
    “Here du creates ou want, boss.” One of the Atroxs said while placing the crates near this man.
    “Ah yes my tools…my parts too…good good.” The little man said.
    “Errr…can we go?....Boss…sir?” The other atrox questioned.
    “Oh…yes, yes go have dinner or something. Just don’t bother me…”
    The atroxs ran off.
    “I have never seen an atrox run like that.” James whispered.
    “Only when there is food around Jimmy…we got to get past that engineer over there. Look an opening is over here.”
    James and Sam silently moved over to another small tunnel and entered. The sounds of the mine were getting greater. They moved around a bend in the tunnel to an opening to a large cavern full of life. Groups of mining teams moved about. All shorts of robots moved around, probes watching their status. Several large track drilling vehicles set to idle on the far side of the cavern. The ceiling was not too far up. There were several holes in the ceiling letting in sunlight, shinning rays of sun down onto the busy mining center. The walls of this cavern were brown and gray with several spots of blue. On the far side of the cavern was a building, the third and top floor had walls of glass reveling a large office of controlling equipment.
    “Wow….look at this place Sam. Look at those robots; they are far better then anything I have seen so far. Hmmm, I wonder what power source they use…”
    “Oh no you don’t…you will stay here and spare me the technical wonders. Look down their, that must be the control center.” Sam pointed at the building’s top floor. They tried to see what was inside but only could see a few figures walking about with two figures sitting at the main desk.
    “…Jimmy you hear something?”
    “No I hear nothing..…I can barely hear you whisper, of course I hear something.”
    Sam looked behind her back into the tunnel. “A vehicle is coming…we must move now.” With that said a small version of a drilling vehicle was making its way down the tunnel. Through the glass of the vehicle Sam and James seen it was the little man that had the atrox workers they saw before.
    “Move…move” James shouted while he started pushing Sam.
    They ran out of the tunnel, moments before the vehicle approached.
    “Quick down here!” Sam shouted at James as she ran into another small tunnel.

They stopped inside the tunnel for a quick breather.
    “I knew we shouldn’t have come here. We almost were….drilled” James said to Sam.
    Samantha said nothing but continued down this new tunnel. It was small and compact, going downhill. James followed soon after, hoping he wouldn’t be caught by Omni-Pol anytime soon.

“This is a long tunnel Sam.”
    “Yes it is, and all down hill. Where are the lights?” Samantha questioned but they both didn’t have an answer.
    After five minutes of walking, light could be seen ahead. They cautiously walked towards it to revel something they did not expect. Notum. Everywhere. The walls were covered in it. Crystals of notum were poking out everywhere, illuminating the whole tunnel in a cozy blue. Samantha was in glee. “Holy…look at this place. Look at all this notum. Now if I could just take some…come on…come out!” Samantha started pulling on a large crystal in the wall, but it wouldn’t budge.
    “That’s nothing, Sam. Come here.”
    Sam came to James to see something amazing. They stood in front of a large pool of notum, glowing white and blue. It looked like notum was pouring down from the walls along the pool. On the sides was crystallized notum, while in the pool it was purely liquid. Besides the vibrations and changes in the pool’s color, it was silent.
    “What is this Jimmy?” Sam asked in awe
    “It…it’s a notum rift I think.”
    “A what?” Sam questioned
    “A notum rift…I read about them. It’s where notum regenerates…and stuff. Dam there is a lot of notum here. Why isn’t anyone mining it?”
    “Well that explains why there is no lights. Maybe no one knows about this place. Oh! Jimmy, I wonder if Omni-Mining would pay us money for finding this place. Maybe we should take back a sample.” Sam walked over to the pool. Sam put her hand over the pool, “It feels cool.” Sam then touched it and filled her palm with notum. She let it splash back into the pool and did it again, grinning the whole time.

James stayed back watching. He then heard something. In the distance of the tunnel he thought he heard a squeak. “Did you hear that?” James questioned quickly.
    “Hear what?”
    “A squeak.”
    “Jimmy, this is a mine…of course you will hear squeaks.” Sam said as she continued to play with the pool of notum.
    James then heard another squeak followed by large bang. Silence then returned for a few moments, but then deep rumbles could be heard, from every direction. James was getting paranoid. “Sam I think we should go…” Samantha ignored him as she looked for a tube in her backpack. James continued to hear the rumbles, repeating over and over. Their repetition was like the notum cannons themselves, repetitious spaced by a long pause. James stood, looking in all directions, he started breathing heavily. Every pause between the rumbles felt like an eternity, he thought it stopped, yet it continued. It was getting louder to James, and soon it sounded as it was just around the bend of the tunnel. He dashed out to Samantha, grapping her and pulling her away from the pool. They ran from the pool down further into the tunnel, downward he went pulling Samantha along.

Samantha finally resisted and yelled, “What the hell are you doing?!”
    “Quiet! Something is out their.”
    “There was nothing their Jimmy.”
    “Yes there was, I heard it. If you weren’t too busy dazzling about money with the notum you would have too.”
    “Dazzling? I was getting a souvenir for our trip…have you lost your mind?” Samantha snapped back.
    James paused for a moment, listening. Nothing was heard, nothing except the breathing of both of them. “I…I don’t know.”
    “hpmh….well I got this.” Samantha held up a tube of liquid notum. It still glowed like it did in the pool. “ummmm…where are we?”

They examined their new location. The walls seemed the same color, and still filled with notum. The notum illuminated everything, but it was not as bright as the notum in the tunnel before. They started walking back to exit the tunnel. But soon enough they came to an intersection of tunnels.
    “Oh no…which tunnel did we come from?” James hesitantly asked.
    “See now what your outbursts did Jimmy. Ummm I think it was this one.” Sam led James into a tunnel that was straight in front of them. It was the same as the last, notum and uninteresting walls. The tunnel was somewhat narrow and uphill, but it seems to be bending to the right. After a few minutes a small whistle was heard in front of them. It became louder and louder until a large gust of wind past by both of them.
    “Wow, didn’t expect that. There must be an opening ahead come on Jimmy.” They began walking head with a faster pace. But behind them came the sound of a rock falling.
    “What was that?!” James whispered.
    “The wind must have moved a rock…” Another rock falling was heard. Sam pulled James along and they continued up the tunnel.
    “I can’t see a thing Sam….this is not the tunnel we were in.”
    “Yes it is, just a little further.” But Sam knew it wasn’t the same tunnel. It was narrow and bending to the right. The light from the notum was barely bright enough, casting shadows of darkness everywhere.
    “Sam stop…lets go back and try another tunnel.”
    “Fine…fine.” They turned around but then stopped. Between the shadows of the small light from the notum, it appeared as if a creature was their. James and Samantha were frozen with fear. It wasn’t quite clear it there was something there. James and Samantha couldn’t even breathe, slowly and hesitantly they did. But soon it seemed a third rhythm of breathing joined them. The rhythm echoed in the narrow tunnel, creating a sound that seem to come from all directions. James and Samantha, frozen with fear, stared at the unknown figure. A deep rumble was heard and then it shown it’s self. Eyes bright as the suns themselves appeared, black with a red core they stared back at James and Samantha. Without a movement or a blink, it stared at them.
    “Run…RUN!” James screamed as he pulled Samantha and run up the tunnel.
    They started running as quickly as they could, their steps echoing through the tunnel they ran. Their only light source was the dark notum, lighting just a few feet in front of them. But with every step they took, the eyes followed. James and Samantha ran faster, but the eyes went quicker. It stared evermore at them, getting closer and closer. James looked back again to see the eyes. James stared back into the red core. It was bright and the color of blood. He couldn’t take his eyes off it, but he still ran. He tripped and fell. Samantha grabbed him and pulled him back up, pushing him to move on.

The tunnel was no longer bending, but was straight and level. The notum’s light was barely present and disappeared in the darkness ahead. “A opening….opening ahead Jim.” Samantha yelled between her breaths. The eyes still coming closer, almost behind them. James and Samantha speed up as much as they could, to make the opening and hide. Maybe it was the main cavern they saw before. They neared the opening, ready to dart towards the left or right. They came to the dark opening but there was no floor. James and Samantha immediately discovered the floor was gone. They were in a free fall, falling into unknown darkness of the large cavern they entered. Both of them screamed as loud as they could, until they hit the ground far below. Two large thumbs were heard and then silence. Deathly silence as in the voids of space itself filled the cavern. The red eyes were gone, as if never there. The cavern dark and empty. The only light was from a tube next to a lifeless body.

Karl and Joe sat at their desk, on the third floor of the building in the busy mining cavern. They were watching the busy workers below. Karl was watching the progress of the third drill team when he heard an echo of screams. He looked towards his right, at the closed off section.
    “Joe…youd hear that?” Karl questioned.
    Joe looked up from the screens, “Hear what?”
    “Screams, I heard screams. In da main tunnel 4.”
    Joe looked confused and scratched his head, “Id recon no one down there Karl.”
    “But I heard someone…scream Joe. We should go look.”
    Joe started laughing, between each breath crackles and snorts. “You not the smart one today, Kaarrl. *laughed some more* You know no one can’t go down their. Dhose many 100 feet or more drops with no light…we can fall. OH…de notum can…cen…connnceentration is too high, we wouldn’t be reclaimed if we go down their, Karl.”
    “Yes, yes I know. The notum concentration interferes with insurance. If we were killed somehow, we would be permanently dead.” Karl shivered a bit thinking of his fear of heights. “Ah you are right. I bet it was a squeak from a machine.”
    Joe shook his head and continued laughing as he looked back at the screens. Karl took one last look towards the darkness of main tunnel 4 and then continued his work of watching the progress of the mines.

Many things can happen inside a mine, why Omni-Mining doesn’t do tours. But the moral of this is:

Don’t go where you shouldn’t be, and
    Curiosity killed the cat.

Nice one. Reminds me a lot of the "Tales from the Crypt" or "Twilight Zone" style of story.

The question is, will the NLF learn from the stories moral not to stick their noses into your mines?
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!