Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie's and RP

All roleplaying really needs is a bit of thought. Generally using the 5 Ws works. (Who, what, where, when, why) If you suck at memorizing stuff, you can write it down and tape it to your monitor or something.

And about acronyms and stuff: Nobody's really found out how to say you'll 'be right back' in character, so you might as well do it ((in double parentheses- fear my horrid spelling.))

In my opinion, all RP really takes is thinking about what you're doing, and forgetting it's all just a game. This is easy for some people (like me, even though I only lightly roleplay). And, if you don't feel like spending a ton of time making up background history, you can RolePlay Lite(TM) and not worry about as much.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

I try to roleplay, but this is just an extremely hard game to roleplay effectively in....

AO doesn't have enough things to do, enough ways to express yourself, or enough roleplaying opportunities IMO.

Maybe it's just me but I had much better luck roleplaying in other games.

I always have a hard time giving justification to the things I do because of the low variety. It's even worse since I find myself doing the same things over and over again thanks to the one dimensional gameplay.

Trying to fit my agent character into the world of AO is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I should just make a soldier. They are so much easier to roleplay because everything is about combat and missions, and soldiers would always been grouped for combat.

I find that the quality of roleplay you can execute has a lot to do with the community. You find a good group of rpers and you can really rp everything. Admittedly, I don't know any agents, but I've RPed a Atrox Doc with an inferiority complex and seen a lot of support classes RPed with great success. So, you most certainly don't have to be a soldier to RP effectively and if you find the right group there are plenty of RP opportunities. I've found that if we expect FC to provide these for us and to really make Rubi-Ka an environment where RPing is natural as a community as a whole, we will be severely disappointed.

btw if anyone is looking for a group, The Desperados are looking for a sixth member. We're a small group that plays in set playsessions. RP is very very high with us but we really need a full team for it to work properly. if you're interested sent a tell in-game to Suso or an email to mysticsuso@hotmail.com
    Caduceus 207 Doctor of the Bratpack
    Matahari 147 Agent
    Lyra 156 Crat
    Testlive

Aye, it's extremely difficult to RP without others around willing to do it...

I have had many good RP opportunities ruined by idiots and d00ds.

Originally posted by TheOlympian
    I find that the quality of roleplay you can execute has a lot to do with the community. You find a good group of rpers and you can really rp everything. Admittedly, I don't know any agents, but I've RPed a Atrox Doc with an inferiority complex and seen a lot of support classes RPed with great success. So, you most certainly don't have to be a soldier to RP effectively and if you find the right group there are plenty of RP opportunities. I've found that if we expect FC to provide these for us and to really make Rubi-Ka an environment where RPing is natural as a community as a whole, we will be severely disappointed.

btw if anyone is looking for a group, The Desperados are looking for a sixth member. We're a small group that plays in set playsessions. RP is very very high with us but we really need a full team for it to work properly. if you're interested sent a tell in-game to Suso or an email to mysticsuso@hotmail.com
    I can roleplay an agent easy... The problem is I can't justify why an agent would be doing the things I usually do.

Like... Why do the clanners keep builing elaborate bases inside the wooden huts of 20k... Oh well, let's go kill eveything inside again and maybe they will stop coming back.

I've only been playing AO since about 10 days (these days including annoying things like "job" and "school" in-between) but I'm a table-top RPer IRL too, and when I had first tried the game in autumn of last year, I had simply quit after the first week, waiting for more patches and thingees to be put into the game. It could seem od to many people, but I found it sad that you couldn't enter a bar, order a drink, talk to Fixer sitting in the corner, be addressed by some soldier looking for someone to complete a mission for him, etc etc.

I still don't know if this kind of things can happen in the game at current hour (I guess i've just played CyberPunk too much... ah well) but I'd be very glad to see such things. What us eis it to buy food or drink in the park at Omni- east? Nothing, except that when you're IC, you don't even notice it as 'odd' - it's natural. This comes with time, I think - time, and more or lessquickly depending on the player - but same for the use of macros and commands like /bow and such... You don't need to know them ALL (*I* don't),, even a few of them to begin with is enough.

"Adventurers talking to trees... Crats asking for forms... I have an Opifex Soldier who has 2 bars of macro shouts that are basically one liners like in action movies. She shouts them out when she does something fitting."

So now will I sound like a freak or not, but one of the last evenings, I was roaming streets in Rome Blue, slowly going to the basic shop to meet my b/f. It was something like 23:00 , the sky was getting darker, and when I climbed the stairs to sit and wait in front of the shop, I could see that it had taken on a reddish tint. I found it beautiful, really, and without even noticing it... a haiku came to mind... and all of a sudden I realized that my char had just said this haiku out loud (yes, in old Japanese). Sitting there in a dirty town, but looking at one of the most beautiful skies you could see from Rome.

Of course people in Vicinity may just have found it strange, but I don't mind. If one had came to me saying another haiku, I'd have been very glad. I haven't really met RPers for the moment, but there are players that easily enter this game if you begin to walk the RP path first...

So, no, my Adventurer may not talk to trees, but she talks to the sky and impress pictures (read: screenshots ) of the beautiful landscapes I happen to see while wandering around.

It is so funny and interesting to find yourself facing someone and beginning to tell your tale, like "you know, this battle that had raged two weeks ago at xxx? Well, *I* was there! And it happened this and that," etc etc.

Hmm, I realize this maybe wouldn't be of great help for RPing... but well. Advice I could give are pretty much the same than in "IRL roleplay" (bad word, I know, I beg your pardon):

- Get a few knowledge about the world, but don't worry if you don't know MUCH. Asking an "older" player about the wonders that lie there outside of town IS roleplaying, and if the other player is willing to, you may quickly find yourself in a "old experienced adventurer to young adventurer willing to discover the outside world" kind of setting.

- Do what you have in mind. Don't bother about "what will players around think?" and other stuff. I've sen IRL a few table-RPers that didn't "dare" acting their chars in fear of being ridiculous, but once they went past this, it became really wonderful. If some players mock you, then too bad for them. If not, you may either meet 'true' RPers... or bring some players to find this funny and enter RPing as well.

- Don't worry about commands, either. As said, learn a few ones, maybe experiment on one or two macros, try them out in the wilderness if you're not sure about whether they'll work or not, but if you don't know them all... "well, and then"? IRL my friends use to tell me that if one cuts my hands, I can't talk anymore (LOL) but not all people are like this. You could decide that your char don't make many gestures. Or the contrary. Oh well.

- Have a little story in store for your char. It doesn't need to be "great". Just something to give more depth, and that you can improve day after day. For instance, your char could have joined the Clans because Omni-Tek soldiers killed her family. But then two weeks later you can meet an Omni player that will act sympathetic, and your character could temperate her position then. Etc etc. This may seem lame, but even if no one else will ever know this char's history (because she won't tell, for instance...) it WILL help you acting.

And time for me to stop here before it becomes a whole novel ^_^;
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Roleplaying

I just want to say that it is refreshing to see a fantastic roleplaying discussion going on here.

I just came off a rather long stint in Dark Age of Camelot where I led a guild of 40+ people in a hardcore roleplaying guild.(I myself am also an old school table top RP'er) The reason I quit that game is because of the community mentality towards roleplay (example: Roleplayer suck! You elitist bastards) which is why its such a pleasure to find like minded folks here.

I am also very new AO. I currently have a level 10 Soldier and a level 11 Meta-physicist on RK1 and am slowly learning my how things are done. I try to RP when I can and when as mentioned above when not fumbling around with the game mechanics.

If any other of you out there want to get together and hunt or do a mission or two feel free to send me a tell. My Soldiers name is Zerac and my MP is Zamiell.

I personnally don't see why RPers would be more 'elitists' than people who spend their time talking about the kind of armors and weapons' characteristics they find during missions, and then laugh at you because "what? you don't even know that Armor XXX is way better than YYY because of this and that? mwahahaha!"

What's the point of playing such a game if just for levelling and gaining weapons & such? If I want to do this, I can play Diablo II at home and never have to pay 10 bucks a month for playing an online game. ^_^

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Newbie, been in for 2 weeks now..

i'm a "hard core" roleplayer, came to AO from playing LARP games, which have goten bothersome..

Before one can truely role play, you've got to know your world, the enviroment your in. the PC we're playing, they know the rules of thier world.. they know you can buy the right items, and build a cool weapon. (becuase they've grown up in the world and likely saw it done before or some such..)

I don't. and Give the very sparse manual that came with the game, i've got a lot to learn, before i can Role play my Pc with any real enjoyment.

(it would do to have me the Pc have no clue what an implant can do, when my NT should have an idea, just becaus eof the NP skill.

So, i'm learing, getting the rules, getting the "background" information that will alow me to truely role play my char.

Now, you don't need all that to role play, but i like to understand the world i'm in before i try any RPing.. (otherwise you might make a mistake your PC wouldnt..) and it make the char a little more "real", lets you breath a bit more life into them..

main problem seems to be finding other RPers. wouldn't do to /shout some message "hey anyone want to RP w/ me?" kind spoils the rp mood, true?

roleplayers Elite? never thought i'd hear that.. i've been called a geek for being an RPer never Elite.. i bought this game because i want to role play. not be some lvl hog, trying to get the latest and greatest QL 200 implants/weapons/armor

Amby be fun for some, but not for me.. i want to creat a neat PC, who i can put my self into and enjoy.

Jazger
    Last edited by Jazger; Jun 13th, 2002 at 20:08:06.

Got something to add to this..

as i've said i'm a newbie.. almost 3 weeks now.. I created an agnet and deside i want him to be a hunter, and that this would be my first RP char. not one use to figure out the rules and such. but one that i've created and want to role play..

I created the guy, i do some hunting in the back yard.. get out, and do a mision or 2.. i'm now 6th lvl and ready to start.. so i head out and start hunting..

well sometime later, i get my pack almost filled with rings and monstor bits.. so, being the back water hunter I am, i travle to the big city to sell off my hard earned monster bits.. i go to trade, stand on the platform and /shout my speil.

("i'm a young hunter from the feilds around rome, and i have gather pices of the mighty leetas and reet! willing to share profits for conversion, or sell")

not asking for a hand out, not asking for anyhting except for someone to roleplay with for a while. and to make a bit more money off these parts.

i shout it, 2 mabye 3 times w/ no takers. So i head over to omni enteriment, and try thier.. (and was once again, only going to do it 2 mabye 3 times befor giveing up and trying the shopping channel, but what RP fun is that?)

Well i guess i ticked some folks off, because all i got was "i'll do it if you shut up" not what i wanted at all. but its the big city, bound to find unpleasnt people.. so we trade.. i pay him 100 cred. (because honestly i didn't know how much blood plasma sold for..)

and was told "my pay ment is no more shouting, post on the shopping channel, you need help"

Thanks! i'm just trying to role play! forgive me for interupting what ever was going on, but damn it, your in a fing city, people shout stuff all the time, most asking for hand outs or freebies!

All i was asking for was for someone will to buy them, or share in the profits. and in a manner that hopefull would draw out soke RPing, and bring it my way..

would have loved to have someone come over and Roleplay with me about the pieces. or something.. someone could have offred 6 credits for them each and i'd have sold them..

Anyway, the point is, is this what happens when folks try to role play? "/shout"ing i thought was ment to be used when you want your char to shout somehting. you know like a street vendore or soemthing. which is what my little hunter was trying to be..

This is a great game, but where the roleplaying? lvling up is great! spending 2 days looking for the right weapon, not so great, but still fun. But where is the roleplaying?

Does one have to join a guild to find other roleplayers? is omni-1 just not the place to hang out looking for rpers? do i need to move to a difrent city? or what?

Jazger.
    Jazger - 34 enf.
    Steppenrazor - 26 MP
    Jazgar - 8 agent.
    all omni, all RK-1

Where to find people

In my experiences I find that most people on the streets in Omni-1 aren't interested in what people holler at each other. Most people in Omni-1 Entertainment are not there for the entertainment or to trade, but are instead mostly clustered near the Whompas looking over the Omni-Tek approved mission and task listing for that day, or using the area as a common meeting point for associates.

Omni-1 Trade is somewhere you'll fare a little better if you have things to trade, but only a little. To be honest, if you're looking for trade you are best off posting a bulletin on the trade network provided.

If you're looking for advice or you're looking to make contacts and you're in Omni-1, then my suggestion is head down to Rompa Bar in the northeast quadrant of Omni-1 Entertainment, buy a drink or two and ask around. Shouting in a bar that you've got things to trade is not likely to win you any friends, but a few discreet enquiries may reap big rewards. This would be, in my opinion, the best bet if you've an aversion to using the Omni-Tek Shopping Channel.

The easiest (but not the quickest) way to find Rompa Bar is to head northeast from the Arena (in the middle of Omni-1 Entertainment) - along a street with walkways crossing it at regular intervals. Rompa is on your right. If you reach Baboons, you've gone too far.

Surely lots of people don't really know what role-playing is... and don't understand what a RPer is trying to do...

It depends on the people you meet, also. Maybe it was that Ent and Trade are full of busy people in a hurry, maybe you would have had more chance elsewhere?

Once when playing Demenzia I decided to go down in the backyards and have some fun with skins (translate this by "I had bought a bio-converter and wanted to try it"). People didn't really roleplayed, but at least they didn't shout or anything, and a few of them accepted to trade. Which was quite surprising, my little Dem' being somewhat... err... let's say that she tends to talk to herself a lot, and could scare some newbies off I met friendly people this evening; some did the effort of entering the RP game a little, in the end, which was fun.

But I know some other people are just plainly surprised, because they don't necessarily expect the others to actually RP.

I'm not sure you'd need to be in a guild to RP, though. Hmm, let's see. If you happen to meet some of the people who post in the RP forums, you sure would have your chance with them in RPing...

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

- The easiest (but not the quickest) way to find Rompa Bar is to head northeast from the Arena (in the middle of Omni-1 Entertainment) - along a street with walkways crossing it at regular intervals. Rompa is on your right. If you reach Baboons, you've gone too far. -

Thank you! i will check thier. and its impolite to shout inside, so no worries on that count. (like i said i was think of the "street vendore" type thing.)

out side i thought would have been good. but nobiggy.. i've heard of this bar, seems a lot of RPing goes on thier.. might be the place i'm lookng for..

Jazger
    -------
    Jazger 34 enf
    steppenrazor 26 MP
    Jazgar 8 agent.

Keredwyn -

thats true, a lot of the folks i've read here would be fun to RP w/ but got to find them.. and "stand out on thier radar" as it were..

I think i'll go check out Rompos? that seems to be an RP hang out..

Jazger
    --------
    Jazger (34 enf)
    Steppenrazor ( 26 MP
    Jazgar (8 agent)

Being a table-top RPgamer for more than 7 years now, I know by experience, also, that not all players are at ease with roleplay... I've already played with people who were only around the table to gain XP and have their chars up their skills and such, while others didn't really care and spent whole nights RPing their chars... Sometimes it's because they do'nt care, sometimes because they don't DARE...

Also, you can try Reets' retreat near Borealis. Especially if you get a chance to be there for the dancing contest (which I hope i'll be able to attend!!)

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

I know a bunch of us hang out in the Cup in West Athen or the Happy Rebel in Tir for all the clanners out there
    Caduceus 207 Doctor of the Bratpack
    Matahari 147 Agent
    Lyra 156 Crat
    Testlive

-

Dang thats the "rub" Jazgar, is a heavy Omni guy.. totaly caught up in the Omni compnay line.. (thought being an agent, he might try to seak in to clan turf.. once i figure out how to get thier.. and that might be really fun.. a low lvl agent sneaking into clan turf.. even if i get caught and killed it might be fun.. hum wonder how i do it..

i've only been to omni-1, rome, harrys feild (in and around a bit), out side of rome. but i'm working on it. one of the reason i want this "hunter" type pc, figured it let me explore the out areas and get a better lay of the land.. (even though hunting gives less loot then mission.. at least its a change of pace.)

But if i can make it to these areas your talking about - Reets' retreat near Borealis, Cup in West Athen or the Happy Rebel in (just have to have on my best sneaking shoes..) or the Rompo bar in Omni-1..

mabye that will let me find some folks to RP w/ (even better find some folks to go RP hunting!)

(and i'm an old pen and paper guy my self.. moved to Vampire LARP becuase it had a diffrent flavor.. but got tired of rules lawering and the other needless bagage. so i thought i try the on-line ones. so far, i'm likeing the game. )

Jazger-
    the player of
    Jazger - 34 enf
    Steppenrazor - 26 MP
    and
    Jazgar - 8 agent.

Hehe, true, as an Agent you should be able to "change sides" from time to time. Good job for Omni-Tek, my hunter friend! Don't forget to bring back some usefuml information about the Clans, along with skins

That sounds fun, and I think it's the main goal we should have in this game. Good thing is that I've also met pretty kind people on both sides, not all Clanners will jump on your face (okay, in neutral towns they can't, but well, the extremists ones will still insult you, whatever the town, and the kind ones wil still be kind). Of course, going to Tir or Athen with "Omni-Tek" written on your face is not a very careful thing, but well, if it's funny, there's no problem with it, even if killed... Taking risks is funny in its own way. Well, *I* found it funny when all of sudden jumping out of the Grid in Meetmedere cause I had taken the wrong exit, then Grid jump like hell, surrounded by levels 75+, while risking to be under attack, and running everywhere in town, with the Terrible Lag Storm raging, to find the term to go back to the "safety" of the Grid.

If you really want to sneak into Clan territories, you'd however better do it out of an Omni town, and save your char in a Neutral town, like Newland or borealis. It'll prevent you from re-spawning in Omni-1 or Rome if killed, and getting killed there on sight by the guards

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

---- If you really want to sneak into Clan territories, you'd however better do it out of an Omni town, and save your char in a Neutral town, like Newland or borealis. It'll prevent you from re-spawning in Omni-1 or Rome if killed, and getting killed there on sight by the guards ----

good advice! our Omni guards seem to be a bit "proactive" (ok, read kill on site.. but proactive sound much nicer) in their quest to keep clanners out.. I've heard of a few people switching sides and, well, getting repeatly killed, becasue they last got some covrage in thier formor home town..

I think i might try this sometime this week.. just got to figure out how to get to the nutral towns.. but thats half the fun.. side it i might be able to dig up some jucie info omni can use aginst the clans! (or atleast somehting that will lead to some good rp.. either way.. fun for me.)

that wrong grid exit, could prove a hart stopper for a bit.. i'd get gacked for sure! way to slow.

hey do they ever do "sneak into enemy teritory, kill this person/blow up this ammo dump/steal this memo" type missions? i'd love to sneak into clan turf, assanite some "important" NPC then have to get out again! that would be a blast! ("important" ie just some podunk npc who we're told is important.)

Jazger
    ------
    jazger - 34 enf
    Steppenrazor - 26 mp
    Jazgar - 14 agent

Wink RP

I am pretty active when it comes to RP in this game and ecourage others to do so, SO if anyone has any questions or needs help getting into the RP aspect, please feel free to message me at any time even if I am offline, I will get back to you and do what is within my power to help start you on the right track, this offer goes to new and old players.

Thanks

Cayll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12