Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Announcing!: Old Athen Restoration Rally!

Blackpetal remains perfectly motionless as the rock whizzes by her head. She scarcely looks up.

I see physical intimidation is still your first line of defense, Nevver. To answer your question, though, the difference between a technology that maintains our city and human labor maintaining a city is profound. We need not give even a moment's thought to whether our streets are dirty, or whether our buildings are in disrepair, because it is all taken care of automatically.

As for my sympathy, or lack thereof, for the Clans...I would point out that I only wondered to Don about whether we would do any better if forced to maintain our cities by hand, rather than using the robotic workforce Omni-Tek has provided us. I suspect we would not.

As for Savoy's comment about the availability of resources to the Clans, I would suggest that two fairly large, well-maintained areas are hardly evidence of vast untapped wealth. One can certainly argue that maintaining Camelot in the face of other economic issues is a bad use of resources, but it's hardly reasonable to suggest that the maintenance costs would even begin to cover the costs of repairing and rebuilding the infrastructure in Old Athen, let alone the many other places in Clan territory which are in horrible disrepair.

Omni-Tek controls virtually all the wealth on Rubi-Ka. This is a simple matter of fact. Are there wealthy clanners? Yes. Should they be more philanthropic? Certainly, there are some that probably should, but that doesn't change the fact that by any objective standard, the Clans are poor, and Omni-Tek is EXTRAORDINARILY wealthy.

-Blackpetal
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

Oh come, come. You will probably see more golden Yalms per square inch than anywhere else on Rubi-Ka. If there are clanners doing without its problem of fair distribuition of wealth among clanners.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Nov 3rd, 2003 at 22:07:03.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

All you are telling us petal is that the clanners are greddier and despotic than we all thought. They have the wealth but spend it one golden painted yalms and big expensive equipment for themselves rather than to repair citiesthey have had for quite some time. So in short, clanners have plenty of weapons but their cities are falling apart. I think we all see where the clans priorities are.
    Atlantean Soldier.

Director of Obsoleet (@.@)/'

Oh that's right. How silly of me to expect logical or coherent arguments. Alright, Don. I yield to you, since I won't engage in a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.

-Blackpetal

Originally posted by Blackpetal
    Omni-Tek controls virtually all the wealth on Rubi-Ka. This is a simple matter of fact. Are there wealthy clanners? Yes. Should they be more philanthropic? Certainly, there are some that probably should, but that doesn't change the fact that by any objective standard, the Clans are poor, and Omni-Tek is EXTRAORDINARILY wealthy.
    Me? Violent?

The thing is, Petal, you're talking like Omni-Tek should be philanthropic towards the Clans just because it has the means. Don't forget that the Clans choose to attack and attempt to destroy Omni-Tek every chance that they get. I'm all for helping people who need it, but there is no way I would donate money to people who would like to see my head roll into the Tir river. This isn't even like people are going hungry - they just want make their city look nice. I say let them get their own Philip Ross paintings.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Nevver
    Me? Violent?

The thing is, Petal, you're talking like Omni-Tek should be philanthropic towards the Clans just because it has the means. Don't forget that the Clans choose to attack and attempt to destroy Omni-Tek every chance that they get. I'm all for helping people who need it, but there is no way I would donate money to people who would like to see my head roll into the Tir river. This isn't even like people are going hungry - they just want make their city look nice. I say let them get their own Philip Ross paintings.
    I don't think I've ever suggested such a thing, Nevver. I simply suggested that making inflammatory remarks about a project aimed at civic improvement shows a distinct lack of empathy. The organizers for this event did not request Omni participation, and I don't think I said anything to contradict that. Compassion and understanding for our fellow human beings, even our enemies, is not a bad thing...

Ironically enough, it was YOU who taught me that...apparently in another lifetime.

-Blackpetal

*Aurust looks back and forth at the arguing*

By the way everyone out there, there will still be the rally. Or you can just rant and rave.

Excuse me before I get hit with something.
    Aurust-MA

"I make an indifferent difference. I make it a point of being pointless."

Originally posted by THEDEACON!

*scratches his armpits and grabs a nanomage female to mate with*
    LOLz!!

Anyway, I'd love to be there, but unfortunately I have off planet business. I would however be glad to put a donation in ahead of time.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Thanks for the offer, but we're not collecting credits until we get word that the architects need them.

The Clan way would be to build it with our own hands and nanobots anyways rather than paying out credits to a corporation. But thats my take and we'll see what the architects of Old Athen have to say if we can get any of them out there.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

You all know when this is by now right?

Now just don't forget to show up.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

Looks to me like i can attend this after all. I`m really looking forward to this!

I would like to thank everyone that attended and I hope you had a good time and continue to support this cause. There will be more rallies and I hope to see more of you at each one. Again...thanks.
    Aurust-MA

"I make an indifferent difference. I make it a point of being pointless."

Oops. I thought this was next Saturday for some reason. I'm sorry I didn't make it.

Speaking of which, I've been missing alot of events. I think I need a calendar program for my NCU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12