Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nerf the <insert useful thing here>!!!

My point WAS to point out the negative. There's been a couple improvements to the game. Not as many as you'd think. But, yes a few.

I just wanted to point out a trend. Seems like everytime you sign on the game there's a new FunCom change to beat you on the head.

I hate exploiters as much as the next guy. I didn't go into detail on each of my items. It's just that every single solitary time that FunCom chooses to address something they take the easy way out and bring out the Nerf bat. It makes you wonder if they're some kind of sickos with castration fixations.

I've posted going back to last May that the right way to fix things is NOT to Nerf but rather look at the underlying mechanisms and structures.

All FunCom knows how to do is Nerf. They aren't original, can't fix a problem properly, and have yet to show me they deserve my respect as game designers.

Look at 80% of those things listed and I'll tell you how they could have addressed them properly without taking the cheap and sleazy way out.

I'm started to get fed up and disgusted with the manner this game is run. If you like getting wacked in jewels with a bat over and over as a method for making you stay on the straight and narrow path, then more power to ya.

Me? I prefer positive reinforcement. Likewise if a challenge is too easy for me, then I prefer that greater challenges be presented for me to tackle. I don't want my challenge to be increased by attaching a ball and chain to my leg and poking one of my eyes out.

Originally posted by Tetra

Lets look at this patch alone

Pillows were altered to make them unwieldable with a ranged weapon.
    Now was this just pillows or was this any 1h melee and any 1h ranged weapon? Because it was possible to wield any 1h melee and 1h ranged without meeting any multi-wield requirements, I believe

Teamheals were altered and now require some form of LOS.
    This one kinda makes sense and kinda doesn't. I would have gone for within a general area, like the engineer auras and crat speeches. A player should not be able to heal a team member from the front door of a mission. But allowing for some connection with team members would make sense.

Actually the behaviour that is being complained about only first surfaces when they community is shunned or kept in the dark. The less open the MMORPG company becomes with the players the more the behaviour raises. Considering funcom gave a 100% documentation of changes promise already and looking at just this patch alone it's obvious that the 100% documentation only applies when it's convienient.
    A lot of what you mentioned could be bugs that were introduced with the patch and not intentional changes. I can't imagine any game developer announcing "We have now fuggered pet pathing" or "Taunting devices were purposely broken". The jumping on some things could flow either way. It could be a bug or it could be related to the changes in LOS code. The most inelegant way to implement it would be to make an object solid from ground to ceiling, regardless of whether the texture applied to it was transparent halfway to the top.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Kuroshio
    A lot of what you mentioned could be bugs that were introduced with the patch and not intentional changes. I can't imagine any game developer announcing "We have now fuggered pet pathing" or "Taunting devices were purposely broken".
    I'm too tired to respond to all your points and will be heading off to sleep but I'm glad you decided to try and defend the screw up with pet pathing and nonworking aggro trimmers.

Now... we are faced with several possibilities

Pet classes are going crazy and doing something different... what? None of them know but they are all sure that *something* isn't working properly and things have changed

The changes to jump have altered pathing

Whatever change causes mobs to aggro you randomly when grouped for no reason when standing in a room with closed doors on a regular mission (happens to me quite frequently for some reason) Or perhaps the changes to aggro are the cause of this... or perhaps whatever changes that were made to altr how jump functions causes this...

The random invisible walls at texture changes that have been implemented in certain zones (i can dig up the thread in 14.0 patch notes forum if you *reallY* want when i wake up) are also present in some walls and pets/mobs are deciding that the best path is through the gap in the wall.

The changes in aggro are affecting how easy or hard it is to collect aggro, since the pet and master share aggro everyone builds up aggro at a massive rate that winds up making the now tiny boost the aggro trimmer causes so insignifigant as to have no noticable effect, or perhaps the changes to melee weapons somehow does makes them different as the pets may have been using the not quite real weapons that were made real suddenly, or perhaps vicinity weighs much more heavily in building aggro now, or perhaps....

I can dig up a few more possabilities to account for the screwed up pathing and malfunctioning aggro timmers if you want but im getting very tired and really think what I've posted so far serves to drive my point home quite well. THe fact that none of these changes were documented just compounds the confused player's problems in that they are left wondering which of the silent changes are the root of their problem unsure of how to adapt best to this sudden problem that sprang up over the course of a few hours the servers were down.
    Last edited by Tetra; Apr 15th, 2002 at 17:20:15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12